Any saddle hunt for deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by wisconsinwalter, Sep 12, 2019.

1. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    if so, what’s your setup?

2. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just find a good place to sit on the downwind side of the saddle, ideally a place where I can not only see the saddle but also the approaches. I have had the best success hunting saddles from mid morning until mid afternoon unless it was a saddle that allowed access to a green field when there were few acorns, then early morning and late afternoon were also good times. The biggest mistake people make when hunting saddles is setting their tree stand up so they are skylighted above the ridge

3. mountainman11b

mountainman11b Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got a tethrd harness, I haven’t gotten to hunt out of it yet. I’m using some tree spikes to climb, and I’m making my platform out of a lone wolf replacement seat. I saved a good deal of money by making the lineman’s belts, and platform myself. I’m also coping teathrds gear hook out of 1” webbing. My pouches are surplus gas mask bags from Finland I believe.

I’m pretty happy with it so far but still not sure about it. It’s pretty different than a tree stand

wisconsinwalter likes this.
  4. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got a Tactisaddle coming next week. I was concerned about the Tethrd because I hear it rides up and gives wedgies.

I waited to late to decide and now everywhere has long waits.

The platform is all I need to be complete. I made my lineman’s belt out of Sterling super static 2 and used accessories cord for my prusik knot while I wait for a ropeman 1.

When your platform is complete, I would love to see it!

HH

5. mountainman11b

mountainman11b Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yea the waits are killer, it took 8-10 weeks for mine, I don’t recall the actual wait time though, in Tennessee we have an early velvet hunt in August and I believe I got mine on that Saturday right in the middle of the hunt lol.

I haven’t spent a lot of time in it to know it will do, it’s been consistently in the 90’s here and I’m waiting for it to cook off a bit before I get some use out of it.

I was looking at the lone wolf seat for a platform after reading about it on random forums. My plan is to have a folding platform so I can stick it in the meat hauler of my bag. And I plan to use Amstel to attach it to the tree. The plan is still in its infancy though.

The saddle seems like it would be pretty comfortable, my only concern is my climbing spikes, I’ve never used them before and it’s a little nerve wrecking for me to use them. I bought a used set for $50 on evilbay and remade the pads and straps. They weigh about 2lbs and get me up the tree pretty quick. I hit 20’ in no time (a few seconds honestly) when I was practicing

I’ll get some pics before class this morning of what I have going so far

6. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think the OP is refering to the hanging saddles, not the saddles in the geography.

I've been wanting to try a saddle for handgun hunting. Haven't pulled the proverbial trigger yet though.

7. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I thought we were talking about hunting off a horse....I just deleted a lot of text.. :)

8. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Opps, off to google it to see what he is talking about, okay now I see what he is talking about. I have nothing to offer about that as far as hunting, but it does look like it would get very uncomfortable fairly quickly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  9. jcs271

jcs271 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good Lord, I started reading, thinking this was going to be a thread about hunting from horseback. You guys are all talking about hanging from a branch in one of those little trapeze treestand thingys.