Anybody fishing yet in Jersey?

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by JerseyJohn, May 1, 2014.

1. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I might break the poles out on my next day off. It's still a little chilly for my usual surf fishing at night, but I might hit some piers during the day time. How's everybody doing so far this year? Any fish stories?

2. pilsburythrowboy12

pilsburythrowboy12 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not yet

But I'll be tossing some bombers and deadsticking at night in the surf soon enough.

3. dac

dac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Haven't surf fished in a couple years, but got out freshwater fishing a twice so far a few weeks back. Caught a couple of sunnies at sunrise lake off the bank. Then took the canoe out on Lake Musconetcong, a little too windy that day and again only managed to pull in a couple sunnies and a real small bass. Gotta get out again real soon on the canoe or kayak, hopefully with less wind.

4. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just mailed in my application for my buggy pass. Haven't heard of much action, a few shorts (very few). Still I'm itchin' to get out. Maybe flounder from the kayak? Haven't heard much on that front either. Fluke opens soon but I'll bet water temps are still too low! Good luck if ya get out. Let us know how ya did.

5. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Will do. I'm looking at my gear sitting neglected in the corner now. My brother just got a new truck, I'm hoping he gets a beach pass for it for the summer. I usually park and hoof it down to the beach. Last year wasn't very productive, but I didn't get out much, so I'm hoping to change that. I live a few blocks from the beach, so I shouldn't have much of an excuse.

My favorite fishing in summer is to take a small rod down on the beach right after the tourists leave, about an hour before sun down. I throw a piece of gulp! sandworm flavor on a small hook with a one or two ounce sinker and cast into the waves, using a slow retrieve. Plenty of spot and surf kingfish. You can't feel them bite on a heavy line so I bring my freshwater gear, just like I was going for sunfish. I can stand in the water and cast around me. Once I've got half a dozen or so, I walk home and clean them, then pan fry them with a little cornflower, or throw them in a cooler and use them for bait on the bigger lines. If I eat them, I save the scraps for crabbing in the bay. I wish I didn't work so much in summer, not much beats laying on the beach with a line in the water.

Lots of sharks last summer, did anybody else notice? Makes me pay a little more attention when I go for a swim. It's a little unnerving, knowing that they're there, but not seeing them. Last summer a guy pulled in a big bull shark surf fishing during the day time, while I was about two miles down the beach swimming. Saw it online when I got home from work. Maybe I'll gear up for the toothy ones this year...

6. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    I'm an old fart that's had a buggy pass for the past 27 yrs! Last yr sucked! I do love kings in the wash! But that often means no bass as they hide when bass are prowling! I have pulled an 8 ft bull from the corner hole of Gillikins! I don't wade at night!!! I've seen the park change drastically (for the worse) and most of that very recent! Anything nice in Jersey is short lived before tourists and politics kills it! The almighty dollar rules!

7. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got out today, but nothing to show for it. I took my short pole along on a bike ride and ended up fishing off the rocks by the inlet. The guys next to me were hooking pufferfish and skate using squid, but I only had artificial bait with me and no bites. Was nice to be out today though. Stopped on the way home to toss a rig in the surf, but the water was too cold to wade much past my toes, the air was cooling down, and it was getting dark. No luck today, but I am off tomorrow...

CKjeep84 likes this.
  8. CKjeep84

CKjeep84 Guide

Blog Posts:
    20170421_062743.jpg
    Got this 23inch short before work about a week ago. I work right by the Arther Kill, last year at this time it was packed with bunker. It's slow going so far.

9. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    I was told you couldn't get buggy passes through the mail anymore! Picked mine up last weekend, getting blues and a few shorts