Anybody Have Canoe Trips Planned In 2018

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by TD Bauer, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:35 AM.

1. TD Bauer

TD Bauer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm chomping at the bit for winter get over. Have a couple canoe trips planned for this year, first one is in the last week of May to the BWCA for five nights, a solo trip - going after some lakers, splake, and solitude.

Second trip planned is either going to be a Quetico trip, or Woodland Caribou Provincial park for six nights in September, and possibly also solo.

Bringing all my own gear and food, but will be renting a canoe.

2. grandpa p

grandpa p Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I truly understand the chomping part. Only thing that makes waiting tolerable is the skiing has been decent so far this year. Trips planned (not cut in stone but probable): mid May a week on the AuSable in MI; early June 3 days on the Allegheny River in PA; late June more Allegheny 4-6 days; early August a week in the ADK's w/son and DIL (possibly 2 grandkids); late Sept-early Oct back to the ADK's.

Occassionally, short notice trips pop up so I try to keep gear ready.

Sadly, 'cuz I'm old, my wife won't let me go solo so I'm at the mercy of my sons' and canoe friends schedules. Most of them still work (work-a dirty 4 letter word). If Grandma would lighten up, there are some places within 2 hrs that I could base camp and spend the day paddling and exploring.

3. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    I spent 2 weeks in Quetico in 2016. We went far in to areas with few people. A lot of sites hadnt seen use in a long time. Awesome fishing.

4. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Was just texting with a buddy two nights ago about getting on with planning for a weeklong canoe trip. We’ve been doing the ADK’s the last three years so are looking at possibly heading up and over the border to Algonquin for a change of pace. Hopefully still up to the ADK’s at some point for a long weekend also.

mugsy, Bobsdock, Mitch Ray and 2 others like this.
  5. billybass

billybass Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I want to do another BWCA trip, trying to decide between spring or fall

6. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Meyers Sportspal is being refurbished as I type this. I am excited to get it and will be doing a trip on the Ausable river because I have a cabin very close to it and hopefully several other Michigan rivers. I have never been on the Pine or Rifle rivers so I may make trips to them also.

7. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    January is almost over, February is wicked short, open water mid March. So, basically about a month or so away from open water, not bad. Is that to optimistic? I get to work on my canoe again this weekend. Yes trips planned, lots of local water. Picked up Appalachian Mountain Club River Guide, Maine. Hitting a lot of the lakes and streams in the eastern coastal watersheds, some not in the book.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to the Adirondack lakes n ponds and chasing brook trout but not wanting to rush through winter. Hoping for a big snow.

mugsy, TD Bauer and Forestree like this.
  9. Mike Golf

Mike Golf Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to be doing a lot of kayaking around central/south Illinois. Can't wait for warmer weather.

10. Forestree

Forestree Guide Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hoping to do at least a couple trips on the Sabine river this spring/summer and some trips out to Coon point on Toledo bend lake.....I'm definitely in no rush for winter to end though :D

mugsy and TD Bauer like this.
  11. SargeRock

SargeRock Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully. Plan to do the Big Fork in N. MN in August, and if God willing, move on the Quetico for a few days.

12. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don’t plan this far ahead. About a week at most, since I do them almost every weekend.

13. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Plans are tentative at this early juncture, but I've been threatening to get up to Ross Lake in the North Cascades, WA. It's a reservoir that extends for 26 miles and crosses the Canadian border. There is only one road, and it comes in from Canada over thirty five miles of gravel. Other than that, you have to canoe 6 miles to the bottom of the Ross lake dam, find a phone hanging from a tree, call the only resort on the lake and wait for a flat bed to come down and portage you and your gear up 800 ft to the lake. I'll take the latter route. Maybe in mid September as I have scheduled a week off.

Another possible might be another trip to the San Juans from Anacortes. It's a 5 mile crossing of Rosario Straits. I just acquired an 18ft Grumman so I'll be switching all the sailing hardware over to it off the Grumman 17. The 18 will be a bit faster and will be easier to deck or skirt because it has a lower sheer line (not so much upward curve at the ends). I'll be doing the conversion over the next few weeks out in the shop. The new trimaran pontoons I made proved to be very rugged on the 17 and will be great on the 18 as well. I might do that trip in late august with another week off then.

Like the OP, I'm stomping around my shop, touching and feeling all the camp gear, checking all the various kits I have pre-staged, surfing any YouTubes for canoeing in Puget Sound or Washington salt waters. Unfortunately, by far the most common are videos of kayaking groups out of Seattle.

Jetty Island June 2016-1.JPG

mugsy, Bobsdock, kbeaver and 2 others like this.
  14. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    General plans to do the Winchester Wasteway in eastern wa this year. But no schedule.

mugsy, FreeMe, OutnBacker and 2 others like this.
  15. camp43

camp43 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hoping to get up to the Adirondacks at lease once. Hopefully down to the Pine Barrens in the spring.

16. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ha! Lots of plans, just like the last few years. It's the follow through that's the tricky part.

17. TD Bauer

TD Bauer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm only 44, but my wife is starting to give me a little grief over solo trips. Kinda annoying... I have agreed to get a Spot Messenger... so I can text home a few times a day to let he know I am Ok in remote areas where my cell phone gets no service. Here is what they look like and how they work (amazon link): http://amzn.to/2mqn9gb

mugsy and Winterhorse like this.
  18. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Tentative plans with the kayak is a Delaware River trip and fingers crossed at least 1 Maine trip but still need to figure out where would be a good spot. I would like to also explore the Adirondacks a bit as well but Maine is going to take up a lot of my summer.

TD Bauer, mugsy, Bobsdock and 2 others like this.
  19. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you want company, let me know about that Winchester Wasteway trip. If it works out schedule wise, I'd go. There is guy who works at Mar-Don Resort that would ferry us back to our rigs when we get to the St Park. I've read that Spring is best, before the farmers start irrigating. It'll turn the whole stream to class 3. Not for me at 28 miles.

20. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @OutnBacker Sounds cool I don't really know tons about it. The guide book I have on it says there's lots of turns in what not and has some flow recommendations but that's all. Are
    you going to be there this weekend Miller'sVania?

21. Berner9

Berner9 Adventure Often! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like my yearly fishing trip might not be happening this year. If anyone wants to do a trip anywhere in Ontario or boundary waters send me a pm. Love Big miles or laid back and fishing. Either works!

TD Bauer, mugsy and Winterhorse like this.
  22. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I plan to buy a new canoe (Wenonah Kingfisher) in the spring and go somewhere in SW CO to try it out. Any suggestions? I'm buying it in Durango.

23. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    NO. It's my son's birthday and we have plans.

The Winchester isn't something I've done before, but there's some info out there on it. Mainly, it's best before the weather turns hot and the fields need irrigation. That runs off into the wasteway and it can turn from a rather pleasant single overnighter into a fairly technical exercise. May is usually the target month, but last year the area was wetter than normal so irrigation held off til early June. As farm run-off, the water can't be purified by common filtration or boiling, so you have to bring what you need. The flow empties into the Potholes Res some 3 miles north of the State park, so there's paddling to be done there and the wind may be strong from the south on the open fetch in spring before the hot summer weather turns it form the north. There is one waterfall, or rather a series in one spot, but a trail is supposedly visible to use as a portage of about 200 yards. If you go to Google Map the area, you can see the waterfalls and the trail.

Like I said, if scheduling isn't a problem I'll go. I have the week of May 27th off and no hard plans yet. I'd likely stay over on the east side and go to a couple other places as well, like the Quincy area primitive lakes, not far from there.

24. baldeagle25

baldeagle25 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here in Missouri we are fortunate to have several great rivers that are spring fed and have a good flow all year round. My first trip this year will be at the end of January. Two weeks from today. We will do a 2 1/2 day trip on the Current River in southern Missouri camping along the river as we go. In my younger days (30 years ago) we were like everyone else and floated in the summer where you would always have others around and sometimes it could even be crowded. We were already winter camping by then so we decided to try winter floating. We've never gone in the summer again. We did this trip last year on Super Bowl weekend and we saw eight eagles, five minks, four owls, three dogs, two beavers and not a single person. In my book any trip where you see more eagles than humans is a good trip.

Current River 17-2-3 123-1.jpg

Current River 17-2-3 194.JPG

riverrunner, mugsy, Bobsdock and 3 others like this.
  25. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Working on a potential Woodland Caribou trip for late May or early June. Previous trips to WC have been early June, so am hoping to maybe get a chance to check out May. Curious to see if we could potentially pick up some lakers up and in the shallows, but probably would need to be even earlier than late May for that.

26. grandpa p

grandpa p Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm familiar with various types of PLB's but that wouldn't satisfy her. She just doesn't want me alone.

TD Bauer, mugsy and Winterhorse like this.
  27. Jason Eke

Jason Eke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you do, I highly recommend getting up the west side of the park and avoid the highway 60 corridor.

mugsy, HeadyBrew and Winterhorse like this.
  28. Jason Eke

Jason Eke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have quiet a few trips planned but what I'm looking forward to is finishing off my kayak and getting out onto the Great Lakes.

I've been building a 17 ft light touring kayak and she's nearly finished... well, more than half way. This is what she looks like right now. I layed out the hatch and coming etc to get a good feel for what's in store.

kayak.jpg

TD Bauer, mugsy, FreeMe and 4 others like this.
  29. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice boat brother !

Winterhorse likes this.
  30. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Scout

Blog Posts:
    I live in the ozarks. We have sevaral rivers we float year round. But as soon as the spring rains start I'll be floating more weekends than not. Most trips are spur of the moment when the water is high and fast. The only plan is the shuttle. My gear stays packed all spring threw early summer.
    Paddle on Wayne !
    Paddle on Garth !

riverrunner, mugsy and Winterhorse like this.
  31. walleyecrazy

walleyecrazy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have no definite plans other than to get either my canoe or my kayak into the Adirondacks as many times as possible this year. Wouldn’t mind purchasing a new Hornbeck kevlar canoe that I’ve been eying either, but not sure that will happen with all the stuff the wife has planned this year that require my money lol.

mugsy, Bobsdock and Winterhorse like this.
  32. geojag

geojag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Planning a float on the Buffalo River in Arkansas in the spring and a float on the Eleven Point River in Missouri on Labor Day weekend. Other than that, any chance I can I will get out.

mugsy, Winterhorse and Bobsdock like this.
  33. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have floated the eleven point a couple of times. And have floated the buffalo more times than I can count.Usually from Ponca to kyles landing or Boxley to Ponca or Boxley to kyles. Have floated hail stone twice. And carver to hasty a few times. I float year round. But when the rains start I float a lot ! I live in lampe mo. You should PM me brother maybe we could meet up.

mugsy likes this.
  34. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We're able to canoe almost year round here in LA... i prefer it a little warmer than right now (January, 20/40s normal lo/hi), but my most anticipated trips are to the Adirondacks each Summer or Fall. This year, I think it will be a Fall trip (early October, Columbus Day week), as the foliage is just about right, temps are normally cooler, and the weather here is likely to be too warm to hunt... again...

We (the LA group) also do a couple canoe trips to a place called Toledo Bend Reservoir in the Spring and Summer (though if it's too hot, I stay home... as I've gotten older, I just can't deal with the heat and humidity anymore.)

mugsy likes this.
  35. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Scout

Blog Posts:
    I plan on doing the black river again right near where I live in Northern Ontario. I tried to shoot some rapids that I should not have shot. I ended up in the drink and lost my paddles, the plan is to continue from where I went in.

I am hoping to to a lot more trips this year since I live in the middle of a canoe trippers paradise. I may even try to get to Woodland Caribou since it is not that far away from me and would not be that big of an expense, since I have all the equipment, and the shuttle is not that expensive.

TD Bauer and mugsy like this.
  36. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My plan starts with buying a canoe, my first...

I'm looking at S15 Sportspal because it seems to be the most stable (my primary concern), can carry a fair amount of weight and two people when needed. Anyone have experience with those?

Lots of places to canoe around here, lakes, streams, rivers but I plan on keeping it simple and easy

Bobsdock and mugsy like this.
  37. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have several trips planned. Some of them are dependent on flows which will depend on what our snowpack turns out like. There will be many day trips as well. My usual MO is to have a list of potential river trips and jumping on opportunities as weather, flows, and shuttle partners permit. I am hoping to do another solo multi-day upstream poling trip into the Sawtooth Wilderness this summer.

Bad Little Falls, Bobsdock and mugsy like this.
  38. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cedar river flow, Lake Lila and the Raquette River. Thinkin bout deer hunting and paddling in at Cranberry Lake in fall. All here in ADKS NY

Bobsdock likes this.
  39. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    yup... life is what happens when your busy making other plans

Bobsdock likes this.
  40. walleyecrazy

walleyecrazy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey mugsy are you in the Paddling in the Adirondacks group on Facebook by any chance? If not you should check it out. A lot of great people in there.

mugsy likes this.
  41. TD Bauer

TD Bauer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been trading emails with Harlan at Red Creek Outfitters east of Woodland Caribou - I hear ice is usually out mid may on many of the lakes up there. Late may might be pretty good for lakers still being shallower.

Brook Trout and mugsy like this.
  42. Kmcmichael

Kmcmichael Scout

Blog Posts:
    We are contemplating the Buffalo river this year. My wife has no desire to camp but we might find a shuttle for a multi leg trip.

43. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    no i am not, i will check it out thank you

44. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    a buddy of mine has one and it REALLY is stable

45. riverrunner

riverrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have trip planned in May on the Green River in Utah and some weekend trips in Missouri.