Anyone else in a wheelchair ?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Southerncomfort, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Southerncomfort

Southerncomfort Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking to hear from others who are in or have family in a wheelchair.
    For me I'm a low level para in a manual wheelchair, if I had to bug out it would be hard as I can't carry very much on me, I'm also in the process of mod'n a wheelchair for a shtf type deal.

What's your gear and weapons of choice ?

I have many but just got a new combo, Gen5 Glock 19 and a Kel-Tec Sub-2000.

mugsy, Red Ochre, DavidJAFO and 4 others like this.
  2. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What about knives? You could mount a sheath to something on the chair perhaps.

mugsy and central joe like this.
  3. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have one good friend that alternates between walkers and a wheelchair. It would be cool to see the mods you're working up. Personally I'm not much concerned about SHTF for a variety of reasons but I do like to be generally prepared. I favor HK sidearms for the most part, a little more open to variety on the rifle end. I've got one AR and a CZ Bren 805 as well as a CZ Scorpion pistol with a folding SB brace and a Beretta Storm 9mm Carbine. Again, not really for SHTF, I just like guns. Plus obviously HD/zombie use! I keep my AR and a Mossberg 500 at the ready to repel boarders and an HK USPf9 with an Inforce WML by my bedside.

mugsy and central joe like this.
  4. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just some thoughts ....
    Use the handles of the wheelchair to mount a Rucksack. You may need to mod slightly to add stabilizing straps to attach to the wheelchair frame to keep it in place. Just be careful of size/weight of the bag so it does not interfere with the wheels at the sides or causes a total imbalance with too much weight to the rear, but in this way you could carry quite a bit of gear
    Do you have side panels on the chair? Can you mod them with webbing to take molle/pals type mounting pouches/holster/knife sheath etc.? Admittedly need to keep fairly thin stuff there as it may interfere with the manual wheeling, so you may need to be careful with placement. If no side panels for modification, I would think about using something like a molle drop-leg panel and anchoring it to the frame under the arm rests.
    The other place you may be able to attach a smaller kit bag (think Polish bread bag or Finn Gasmask bag is under your seat if you can set up some suitable attachment straps on the bags to meet the frame of the chair.
    Are you able to wear a LB vest or harness with molle attachments on it? Again somewhere you could mount essential items needed easy to hand on your front. Again need to check placement so that it doesn't interfere with arm motions. As an alternative, have you considered something like the HPG chest mounted bags to wear on your front?
    Or, thinking totally outta the box!!! You know the little 2 wheeled carts that attach to the back of a pedal cycle? There maybe someone who can figure a way of attaching something like that to the back of your chair so that you can tow it along with you, though this might not be so practical as you would need assistance to drop/link up the cart so that you could access it. But it may be an option if you needed to take a lot of stuff with you and didn't want to overload other members of your party.

Hope this gives you some ideas to work with or gets your creative juices flowing for your shtf wheelchair. I would love to see your progress on that project as a separate thread, almost build along! Best of luck.

OJ

5. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You need to contact another member on the forum ie One legged Josh. Josh is a awsome guy and dosent let much slow him down. He would be a great guy to get to know and pick his brain for information and ideas.

6. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah a kukuri would be awesome.

mugsy and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  7. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What is your layout look like for the chair you are talking about. May can help with different id's to help you out. Prov 27 : 17

8. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    you could build modified atv with wheel chair attachment if your handy ..................................seriously why not

9. Southerncomfort

Southerncomfort Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SHTF Wheelchair.

https://imgur.com/gallery/XpXzn

Steel back, soft backs don't last long.
    Front cross bar and handles make it easier to get off the ground and back into my chair by myself.
    I will be adding a pistol holster mount.

In that backpack I have a Glock19 and a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 along with get home supplies for now. But is not my EDC.

10. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    i use a cane, sometimes a walker for short distance, and wheel chair for a long day out. i have a atv to get me out there now. you could build a rack for ya chair to go on a trailer hitch. if you can make it to the seat with even just a cane. or, you could do as i've done and prepare to bug-in.

mugsy likes this.
  11. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great ideas!

mugsy likes this.
  12. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    a nice stout machete would give some added reach.