Anyone ever canoed in the Atchafalaya Basin?

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Seeker, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    As I was driving back from Red Stick this afternoon, I was once again struck by the beauty of the Atchafalaya Basin. As I looked out off the causeway/bridge and hit the Henderson Swamp area, I realized that maybe someone on here knows the area, or has canoed it before. I'd love to be out there this time of year, before it gets really hot again.

Specifically, I was looking at Bay Sirius, about a mile and a half SE of Butte Larose, east and north of Bayou Larose. Looks like an interesting cypress swamp.

Anyone every paddle it? Camp in it? Looking for restrictions, do's/don'ts, put-in locations, and/or permission needed.

Also, looking at the Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge, especially along the Atchafalaya River/Whiskey Bay Pilot Channel south of Krotz Springs toward I-10/Exit 121, same questions.

Looking at this trip in 1-2 weeks, either the 2/3 or 9/10 of April, just want to do one overnighter.

2. Hammbone

Hammbone Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Dad had a camp in Butte LaRose and we pirogued a lot, but we're too young to stay out overnight. Watch the Mosquitos at sunset. . .they can carry off a grown man.

3. hglass

hglass Scout

Blog Posts:
    A couple of good trial runs would be Caddo Lake & Lake Fausse Point.

4. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Would like to see a trip report of this trip.

5. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Have looked at Fausse Point. And a local canoe/kayak group is going in a couple weeks... seems nice, but "packaged". The park has canoe camp sites, but it costs $$... I was looking for something a bit more backcountry-like.

Gatordrag likes this.
  6. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    So... still hearing crickets mostly. Seriously? No one has every paddled into this place? Getting to be canoe tripping season, if'n one goes outside at all in this heat...

7. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe I call it a black pot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can also checkout Sherburne wma,we always go and stay at the gun range off of hwy190.There are several "unimproved"campsites I think a couple may have water but no electric.This campground is on Big Alabama bayou,good fishing and hiking trails if you want and plenty of water to ride your canoe.Let me know if you have any questions Id be happy to help. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wma/2763

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Seeker likes this.
  8. hglass

hglass Scout

Blog Posts:
    youtube trailside SO3E12 w/John Viehman GREAT VIDEO

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Seeker likes this.
  9. Xpraetor

Xpraetor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Seeker,
    not sure if you ever made it into the basin area, but I spent many days & an occasional night there. The area I'm most familiar with is the south /southeast part, namely the Attakapas Island WMA & Elm Hall WMA(Pierre Part), and same as "Hammbone" I push-poled in a pirogue. Beautiful area and lots to see, but heed the warning given previously-- mosquitoes are savage. I know people who have traveled by canoe, but you should check water levels & travel light. Canoes just don't work well in some parts of the swamp.

I also 2nd the video "hglass" linked too, although to view the entire video you'll need to purchase it from the www.davidmcfee.com/list/video.htm

If you need or want more specific info just let me know.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Seeker likes this.
  10. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Should see you next weekend! We'll discuss it then. Thanks.

It's next in the queue... looks excellent. Thank you!

Thanks for the muck/low water warning... thought it was like a normal river. I can make due with a 15lb load plus food. I'll talk to Nonc-Tobe this weekend and I'm sure that will gin up some more questions.

Would like to do this in March (after squirrel season, still cool, fewer bugs).