Anyone played with the new King Cobra?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Donald Devall, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:39 PM.

1. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    So when colt reintroduced the Cobra, I wasn’t impressed. They feel like a Charter Arms or Taurus to me. Nothing really wrong with them, they just don’t have that really solid well machined feel to them.

But. I recently handled the new King Cobra... and I’m torn. Sure, it’s still not on par with the Colts of yesteryear, but it’s really well done! Machining is great. Lockup is great. The trigger is the best I’ve felt of any factory revolver. I don’t like the finish, it’s a weird thing. Looks like bead blast that’s been polished... strange. I still don’t think it’s with the $900 it’s selling for, but it’s pretty good. I also wish they had an adjustable rear sight option.

26C7D3B2-94AC-4A97-B68F-68FFEDB7856B.jpeg

Swampyankee101 and 08H3 like this.
  2. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think I'd go for a 3" 5 shot smith 60 with adjustable sights if I was going to carry it. Or a 7 shot 3" 686 plus of it was a woods gun/ range toy.

SMLE Guy, Mikewood and Donald Devall like this.
  3. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’d tend to agree... but current smiths are a shadow of what they used to be as well. I had issues with a 686 plus pro series recently and wasn’t impressed with how smith handled it.

I do like the ruger sp101 and gp100 though. Especially the Lipseys distributor exclusives... blued 5 inch half lugs. Available in 10mm and 44 special.
    92A4C071-921D-4B22-B62F-FB668F05D47C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 9:33 PM
  4. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just sold a 94 ish gp100 half lug a week or so ago

5. If1Hitu

If1Hitu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It looks nice,but I like S&W revolvers better than Colt .Just me :42:

08H3 likes this.
  6. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the look with no key hole in the frame.

Donald Devall and Birdman like this.
  7. rockett88s

rockett88s Scout

Blog Posts:
    3" barrels are almost better than sex! That alone would get me to play around with one of those new snakes.... just sayin!

Donald Devall and PaPa K like this.
  8. Zach Smith

Zach Smith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I handled one today, it was nice but not for the more than msrp the shop I was at wanted.

Donald Devall likes this.
  9. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a new KK back in the late '80s. It was finished nicely, but the coil spring action couldn't be tuned to come close to a leaf spring S&W. Rather than drop that $ on a new Colt, I would be looking for an older S&W or a Ruger. The GP100 is a nice revolver albeit a little heavy. Their extra beef is what makes them more durable than a K frame S&W. Too, the 10mm and 44Spl are nice options to the still capable 357 Mag.

10. rockett88s

rockett88s Scout

Blog Posts:
    LOL.... we might have to discuss the term "more Durable" LOL... S&W K frames just seem to find their way into my gun safe on a regular basis... A few odd L frames as well... A buddy of mine ran into some legal troubles , and his local PD let him sign his guns over to me... I kept them in my safe 'til he could arrange for a family member to take charge of them... He had to wait to get them back from the State Police evidence lab. Then he had to wait again to get them from the local PD's evidence locker. Total wait time was maybe 8 months. By the time I took delivery of those guns, they were loaded with rust... The bores, the exterior.. behind the side plates... just trashed...

I cleaned them both up as well as I was able... and I had an awful lot of fun doing side by side comparisons of them... As cool as that old Python was... and it was a pretty good shooter, too... but it didn't even compare to the beat up old S&W.

I'd love to see if the new Colt compares to my memories of that old Python... It'll have to be a heck of a good gun to move up into the space I have reserved in my heart for a good ole Smith N Wesson K/L frame...

ETA: I have only had a couple Rugers pass through my Safe... they come and go quickly. I'm just not a fan of Ruger revolvers...

11. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:

Oddly enough I’ve never had the pleasure of handling, much less shooting, a real Python. But, if they’re as glorious as I’ve been lead to believe, NOTHING is going to compare to that.

And @Zach Smith they did the same thing when the new Cobra came out. Gouged the crap out of them for the first few months. Now a few years later they can barely give them away. I’m assuming the same will happen with this one. If the price were down in the 6-700 range I’d already own one.

@Swampyankee everybody hates the Hillary Hole. I have no idea what egghead at SW continues to think that thing should stay on their guns.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 11:49 PM
  12. Pilot

Pilot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I sold all my double action revolvers preferring to focus on semi autos, and single action revolvers. I had old Colt Python, and Diamondback. The Python was beautiful, and had a great action. The Diamondback was very nice also, but they turned into safe queens so I sold them when prices got ridiculous. I am glad Colt is back in the DA revolver business, as more choices are always good, and I do like the Pony! :)

13. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    I suspect the real mystique about the Python is the full lug barrel and vent rib, and the same is true for the Diamondback. The Colt Three Fifty Seven preceded the Python and was built on the same basic "I" frame. It has a tapered barrel rather than the heavier underlug/vent rib affair of the Python. The Colt Trooper is basically the same as a Three Fifty Seven except its a lesser level of finish and was available in several other calibers. The other look alike is the Officers Model Match, not to be confused with the Officers Model Special or Officers Model (all target revolvers) that preceded.

In the mid '80s to early '90s I shot PPC before venturing into USPSA. I shot my best scores with S&W K-frame or K-frame based revolvers. I don't doubt that I would have shot just as well with the heavier L frame, but I never owned one. IIRC, some of my highest scores, and maybe my highest league average was shot with a 2-1/2" S&W Model 19 that had a little action work. During that time I also owned a 6" Colt Python from the custom shop that had their massaged action job, "factory tuned". It was the best V-spring action I've had the opportunity to to shoot, but I still preferred the S&W leaf spring actions. As for accuracy, my 6" S&W Model 14, aka K-38, would outshoot that Python at 50 yards. I still own the Model 14 and the 2-1/2" barreled Model 19 was rebarreled to 4" and is what I carry most often in the woods.

Durability? The Model 19 Combat Masterpiece wasn't expected to shoot nothing but 357s. They weren't as robust as the Colt I frames or later Mk III, Mk V coils spring frames, or even the Ruger Secutity Six. That is the reason the S&W L frame was put into production. It was capable of a full diet of 357s but had a lighter action than the N-frame Models 27 and 28.

I still own Colts, and have several I-frames, Three Fifty Seven, Trooper, Officers Model, and Officers Model Match. My lone Ruger is a 5-1/2" Redhawk 44 magnum. Make no mistake they are accurate and robust, but most often I'll carry or shoot a S&W.

14. Zach Smith

Zach Smith Tracker

Blog Posts:

Yeah that seems to be very common. The sig p365 was really bad when they first came out and now they are in the $450 range. I'm going to wait until they come down before I consider one as it will be a range toy only.