Anyone use GPS trackers on their kids??

Discussion in 'Badger Claw Leatherworks' started by badger claw, Apr 7, 2016.

1. badger claw

badger claw Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking at getting GPS child trackers for my kids. Does anyone here use any of the popular ones? There are dozens on-line with hundreds of differing reviews on each one. From what i can tell the "PocketFinder" seems to be on the top of most lists and another is called Trax but seems to have some issues and they are releasing a new version.

San Antonio is a huge hub for human trafficking. Almost every day you can find a story about another missing child. I don't live in the "city" so to speak (even though I have a San Antonio address) and I'm lucky to live in whats considered a very desirable part of town. We live in a small housing development and even though its gated I am still uneasy about my kids riding their bikes between our 3 streets to their friends houses. The gates are left open during peak commute times and it would be so easy for some whack-job to grab a kid. (this week a 15 year old in another part of town was lured away by guys in a work vehicle posing as Dish Network reps. He got away and the house they took him to was about a mile from here!)

Most of the time our kids are outside my wife or I sit out so we can keep an eye on them. But it only takes a minute for something bad to happen. Now my 4 year old daughter is riding a regular bike with no training wheels and can keep up with her brothers. Our rule is the three of them have to stay together and usually they have one or two friends as well. But i would feel much better if they had GPS units on them allowing me to know where they are at. Also because when its dinner time and i have to walk the neighborhood to find which of a half dozen houses they could be at the tracker would speed that up.

If anyone has any insights or experience with these trackers please let me know.

I'd rather not have one that looks like a watch. Its pretty obvious what they are when you see one. Id like one that threads though a belt or clips on. Something discreet. Price doesn't matter.

2. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Can't help you with this, man. And I have to express my sorrow that you even need to think about doing this. But the one thing that I can recommend is that, if you live in an area where this is really a concern, you may be further ahead teaching your kids how to respond if it ever happens.

Dignity Memorial ( http://www.dignitymemorial.com/en-u...ol.page?internalfullsite=1&internalfullsite=1 ) puts on a program called Escape School. And I have to admit, when I first heard about it from my Scout leader, I thought she had been watching too much Nancy Grace and too many reruns of SVU. Whe I heard that the program was run by an association or morticians, I became phyisically angry at the ghoulishness of the idea (I'm a pretty free range parent). All I can say is BOY WAS I WRONG!

What a fantastic course for kids. They don't focus on "stranger danger", they focus on types of real danger and what to do if you are abducted. They teach the kids to seek help from strangers if needed, how to fight, kick, spit, scream, kick out windows and taillight, leave clues and personal items that will help someone tracking them. All very good methods of attracting attention and getting help. All counterintuitive to the constant barrage of kids being told to "sit down, sit still and be quiet." It was very well done and not scary to the kids at all.

My kids and I would discuss it in the car on a regular basis. It gave me a reason to have them focus on situational awaremess (as much as young kids can, which is more than you would think). I would teach my kids to suddenly look at a car or look at a person and then describe what they saw. What color was it, what body style, was it a man or woman, length of hair, hair color, clothes, etc. I actually tried to get them back to do it again last year since the girls are much older, but they didn't have anyone doing it in our area any more.

Sorry to get off track a bit, bht I think it's important and worthwhile enough to share. Sometimes you prepare the road for the kids, sometimes you prepare the kids for the road.

3. Fretful7

Fretful7 III Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My girls are still quite young (4 and 6), so they do not venture far from sight.

I completely understand your concern, and will most likely be doing the same thing. We don't have as much of a trafficking issue here (as far as I know), but I certainly worry for their safety from sexual predators. I looked on-line and there are a handful of registered offenders within a few miles radius of our house.

You may have seen this in your research, but thought you'd be interested if you hadn't:
    https://www.thetileapp.com/

4. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It's a real concern in every area.
    Small towns don't equal no crime, they have the same crime as everywhere else, just in smaller amounts due to less people.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm subscribing to see if anyone has experience with these

5. badger claw

badger claw Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The Tile uses bluetooth. Short distance vs GPS where they could be anywhere in the country and locate them. Ya, checking online to see what offenders live in your area is a good idea. My retired neighbor checks all the time...always giving me "updates" if anyone has moved in within 20 miles. Great type of neighbor to have.

6. Brahmus

Brahmus Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mine is only 6 months, so I have awhile before she is out of arm's length. I think that Sandcut's idea is the best. If I was in the business of kidnapping I would quickly remove anything that could potentially be a tracking device. Jewelry, shoes, etc would be tossed right quick. Not to say it isn't a good idea, and I will be watching this thread for other people's input, but if your child is alert, knows how to avoid falling into a bad situation, and how to react if (god forbid) something does happen she will be proactive and continue working to self rescue even after a GPS unit has long since been ditched.

7. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Additional suggestion is to raise some hellions. Letting the kids watch Power Rangers and run around with bb guns could be a great addition. Worked for us! lol!

It's only funny til you watch your petite 4 year old take their Large Husky 10 year old brother off their feet with a full leg extension to the chin, even if the 10 year old was being a poopi head! Lol!

Hope you find what works for you and sorry you even have to worry about this!