anyone watch Active Self Protection?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by THRsucks, Oct 22, 2018.

1. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm more or less a fan of ASP. I think he does a really good job of narration, and video editing. And while I think he's probably knowledgeable about a broad spectrum of topics, I always feel like there's something missing. To me, it seems like rather than a objective discussion of tactics, John C seems more or less to come off as a opinionated movie critic.

Attitude, Skills, Plan... I'm aware that he also posts things on Asp-extra, but concerning his main channel, i began watching to learn things. His videos are entertaining, but I'm not seeing skills...or plans... or any kind of breakdown other then him talking about things you can watch as they happen on video.

I believe from watching his videos that regardless of who is right or wrong, surprise, speed, and violence of action are the main deciding factors on winning a fight or not winning it. What i don't see from a viewer standpoint is much of a discussion when it comes to why one person wins and one doesn't.

Another for instance is physical fitness is a big factor for how violent you can be, it is important, and it isn't covered. Emotional and spiritual fitness is, but it seems like allot of people carry a firearm as a substitute for lack of physical preparation and i think that is a poor "plan". you have a vp9 and that is really cool, but for less money you can get a glock and a gym membership...

I like his videos, i think he's a sharp businessman, but nothing makes me want to go find John and take a self defense class. Am I a jerk?

2. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Never heard of it. Is it a YouTube channel?

THRsucks, Lichen and Tangotag like this.
  3. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Never heard of it. Is it a YouTube channel?

THRsucks likes this.
  4. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    THRsucks and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  5. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  6. ACinSA

ACinSA Bring it, don't sing it! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Been subscribed to his channel for a couple of years know. I really do appreciate the content he provides and the perspective he makes us look at things. Guy has never claimed to be an expert but seems to have a good grasp on situations.

7. Oakenhart

Oakenhart Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watch now and then.If nothing else it can be a nice insight to human behavior under stress,good food for thought.

THRsucks likes this.
  8. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your exactly correct about the mental and physical aspect a which things happen. The guy doesn't look like he's serious to me.

Now you can be fit an fat, or fat and strong and still explosive, but don't be weak.

The channel he has is fine and all, but nearly all this stuff your looking at on YT is bs milk toast pedestrian at best.

If a person is really wanting to be serious you need some level of physical competence and to put it simply, some internal level of being a badass. The ability and attitude to fight and follow thru with it.

A place like this is where you really need to go to learn the physicality to do combatives. If your up close in combatives, many times your handgun can be quite useless unless you can fight.

The days of going to ranges and training facilities to learn to shoot is fine and dandy, but it's not fighting with your body and weapon. It's not teaching you or impressing on you the ability to win.

Static ranges and shooting instruction is good, but it's only one facet. True combative training humbles you and show weakness and what you need to work on. It's much more involved than "just pull out the pistola and do two to the body and one to the head".

There's learning to shoot, and then there's learning to fight.

9. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I gotta say john c has done better. he has something of a useful mantra. I think he's putting something together that makes sense. He does talk a lot about "having your tools on you" which is great advice. Skill development is something different, no fault of his own. Teaching a person about propper mindset isn't the easiest thing on a video im sure. but, his mindset doesn't seem realistic to me from some of things he's said about " knowing when enough is enough" in regards to letting up on a person who just made an attempt on your life. Im not saying kill when and if you can, but i think our overall goal as self rescuers is to STOP the threat. Stop him from moving, escaping, or otherwise being able to hurt anyone else. If you let up, he may counter attack, you are breaking the OODA loop for him. I think he has a little bit of the Disney movie good guy mentality of giving the attacker mercy only to prevail with a decisive final attack or some such nonsense. Once you have the upper hand, your intention must be to keep it. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6....

Danny Boy, Gumbi and atlastrekker like this.
  10. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    Solid points all around. I was beginning to think it was just me. Kudos to him either way. He isn't stupid. He has allot of smart things to say. But, I've noticed something. I noticed because i have been prone to do it too at different stages in my philosophy on fighting or firearms what have you. "The this is better than that argument " that is something you don't see top tier instructors do when they have actually been out and done things. Maybe to sum up what i think is wrong with John C's approach is simply because you watch football every sunday, doesn't mean your a pro quarterback. Not even a coach for that matter. Like you said, its thise other things that make that happen. "Man, hard day of training guys...my eyes are red. Watched 10 hours of defensive drills..." that mentality does not a gunfighter make.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  11. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think he does claim to be an expert in what he calls "evidence based" defense training. he is an instructor for his particular brand of training. if you don't see it that way, i can understand, its just my perspective. Otherwise i agree, he isn't an idiot. I just don't think he's grounded in reality simply because of what he's seen on video. Main issue is the "transitional space" thing he talks about. He doesn't show how to get through one, how to keep your back to safety and eyes on a threat, instead he pays some lip service and continues on the video. If i was a gas station clerk, I'd take john more seriously. But I'm not, i have been assaulted, robbed etc in places there simply were no cameras. Like walking around a corner onto an active crime in progress...now what john??? Where is the pre attack indicator then?

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  12. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    From my Philosophy it boils down to a few simple components.

It has nothing to do with equipment, other than knowing your own.
    It has little to do with skill, although skill helps.

1. Speed 2. SURPRISE 3. Violence of action.

Every successful attack incorporates these components.

So if what I'm doing, or what I'm buying doesn't check one of these three boxes, or some how support me in these goals, I'm not doing it/buying it.

Ptpalpha and Danny Boy like this.
  13. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy his channel, of course you have to take it with a grain of salt simply because every situation is different. Personally, I would never critique a person that survives a violent attack, because to me, whatever they did that allowed them to survive was the right thing as far as I'm concerned. John has gotten himself in shape and that's surely commendable.

Gumbi and THRsucks like this.
  14. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    I did notice that! He has been working his asp off. overall i think he does a great thing, bringing the public conciousness to the fact that a very violent thing can happen, so it's a good idea to be prepared. I'm also very glad that he has had financial successes from this. I've tried getting 50 likes on a video...its not that easy. 1 million subscribers is a pretty big deal. That is also kind of my point. I think he's really great at getting people to watch videos that he has found or been submitted to him, of typically, very real tragedy happening to someone. He comments on them, repackages them, puts some ads up and makes some money. I don't think it's wrong, but like you eluded to, its a grain of salt, another video of someone getting shot, john c saying something about transitional spaces and this "thing i use in my training, all the time" role credits...cash the check. He's a great promoter of his own brand of whatever it is he thinks he's teaching. But i don't think he should be calling what he does a "lesson" or any kind of instruction. From what i know, he isn't an instructor, he's a security footage film critic more or less.

I personally am losing the sight of where the benefit comes in, i can't call watching people getting shot "entertainment" exactly.

Danny Boy and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  15. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Been a long time subscriber but loosing more and more interest all the time. I mainly watch to see for myself what happens in real life self defense situations... not to hear his narrative. He uses the "transitional space" term so much it now makes me want to puke when I hear him say it!

THRsucks likes this.
  16. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is a good thing to call it, i don't think he has bad terminology. And it's true, having increased awareness and readiness is important anytime you are mingling with the general public. I watch his videos for the same reason as you. I suspect most people do. I think he knows the law, i would really like to see him talk more about that. Unfortunately,a good defensive shooting in one place may be completely unjustified in another jurisdiction. Either way, the guy found a way to make a living doing something that he's interested in. More power to him. Unfortunately, allot of what he says comes off as "advice" or education for his viewership. Not all of it is bad, but i have heard him say a few things that got me scratching my head. And i start saying to myself "is this guy serious? Has he ever had to defend himself with a firearm or anything else in his life?" I have been in some really bad situations where i could have lost my life, a gas station is one dimension, a car jacking is another. You could have everything on you from a perspective of tools, and things can get violent so fast that you may be forced to do allot more than draw a gun initially.

To me, a firearm only augments my fighting ability, and is used to tilt a bad situation into my favor. It is not the be all and end all of defensive planning. For the most part i view a handgun as a facilitator to escape, although if i have done enough damage to no longer need an escape, I'm staying put.

I try to focus on known things that are common to any self defense situation. Or, make safe assumptions.

I assume I'll be outnumbered.
    I assume that if i am preyed upon, it will be done by an individual who is probably larger, or believes he is better armed.

I also assume I will be surprised, the attack will be sudden and violent.

I have personally made an effort to tune my "fight switch " off- everything is good on- i am going to use everything within my reach to harm you and i won't stop until i have succeeded or I'm dead; as soon as i have a shade of an opportunity. I think that is a propper fighting mindset, i don't think john c has it, maybe he does, but it isn't relayed to me the audience.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    T. Pollock likes this.
  17. pb0201

pb0201 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    RIGHT!!

THRsucks likes this.
  18. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah +1 on that.

19. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    A successful, pro gun youtuber is a good thing. displaying lawful self defense, and its pitfalls, is also good. Hey, maybe I'm just jealous i didn't do it first.:18:

Maybe I'm just hung up on a few things i found inaccurate, but, i really found those things important. One of those things was mindset. The other is claiming to be something very difficult to verify (but very easy to argue) which is being an expert, which he better be if he's calling himself an instructor. Rant over. :18: Thanks for humoring me.

20. gdwigg

gdwigg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been a subscriber for quite a while, but don't watch it much. It seems like when I do go to YouTube, I'd rather watch somebody in the north west who never talks, just builds fires. I also watch some guy that walks around the north east, and yaks all the time about this or that gear.

ETA
    You know who you are.

Gumbi likes this.
  21. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This, in a nutshell.

22. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ASP come across my feed sometimes, I watch it and move on.... lots of options for this type of narrative on youtube.

23. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watch it from time to time, subscribe to his channel. Use some of the situations when I'm developing training scenarios. He actually looks like he's dropping weight. It's not bad stuff for what it is, videos of bad things happening. If you notice a lot of it is down South way south where it's still kinda like the old west.