1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

appalachian trail two bladed pocket knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by leaf and lightning, Oct 28, 2010.

1. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    picked this up a Lowes ($10) last week and have been putting it through the paces this week...

[​IMG]

basic 2 blade trapper style pocketknife, 3" clip and sheepsfoot blades, weighs 4 oz

so far so good... came out of the box shaving sharp, which surprised me at that price... fits my hand well and is well balanced for a pocket knife... held a decent edge through a bunch of paper, an old leather belt, three fuzz sticks(two in fatwood, one in birch) whittling the knob on a blackthorn cane for my kid sister, and butchering one chicken... it was dull by the time I was done with the bird.... only took a minute with a diamond stone to get it back to shaving...easiest sharpening stainless knife I've seen... for ten bucks I think its a decent knife... I think my barlow has been replaced as my EDC

2. Buckskin

Buckskin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have this set of theirs. I bought then on clearance for $8.00. The larger one is one EDC the most of the two. Not bad knives for the price and I think you get a bit more quality than you pay for.

3. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    Update... I have done two more chickens with this knife and deboned some thighs and drumsticks for stir fry... and... and I know this is dumb, and it isn't a practice I normally use a folder for... I batoned a piece of birch into kindling... you would never know it... I still had too run it through an old piece of denim 15 times before I had to touch up the edge again...

4. gloomhound

gloomhound Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where is it made?

5. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    made in china... which is part of why I was surprised it has performed so well....

6. gloomhound

gloomhound Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool

I was just wondering.

7. kevin

kevin Guide

Blog Posts:
    at first I'm thinking thats great; then I stop myself and think I can get a mora for $12. still, sounds like a pleasant surprise on quality. thanks for sharing.

8. mdauben

mdauben Scout

Blog Posts:
    The blade with the rounded end is actually a "spey" blade, not a "sheepsfoot". In the pic below, #9 is the "sheepsfoot" and #7 is the "spey".

[​IMG]

The "trapper" is actually my favorite traditional style pocket knife and I own several. :dblthumb:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. Mattnu

Mattnu Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can get a Mora for $12 and at least $6 shipping.

That trapper looks like it was made off the old Shrade pattern. Shrade is now owned by Taylor Brands LLC, and made in china, their initial quality was ho-hum, but they have been improving lately.

10. Summit

Summit Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 of them, carry em with me everywhere and they've proven themselves to be suitable for most tasks. Had a little dificulty with the edge on one but once I got it straightend out it was golden.

11. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    I always get those two confused...