Appendix carry?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Knifeguy510, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok so this I am pretty new to. I started buying and shooting guns 2 years ago . Now I have 5 hand guns 2 rifles and a shotgun. Next step is carrying . So I did a bit of research to see where exact your appendix was lol! Then when most people tipicly placed the holster. It seems to me that I. The picks I have seen of people rocking appendix holsters they have them at like 2 o'clock. If your pants zipper was center or 12 o'clock. I seem to find it more comfortable a bit more twords 12 o'clock . Is there anything wrong with this ?

Also The part about one in the chamber. Now I am confident enough in my skills to manipulate my weapon in and out of the holster without putting my finger on the trigger. But !!!! When sitting or bending over you are constantly reminded that you have a loaded gun pointing at your sensitive area !! Lol I'm mean your groin and femoral arerty are like very close to that area ! I know the weapon is not going to just off without the trigger being a pulled. But man it's a bit of a mind f#$k !!! Lol.

I just don't know if I can do it comfortablely . I seem to think if I'm pulling out my weapon it do t take but a second to chamber a round. I honestly would like to have one in the chamber but I. That spot wich on my frame ( I'm a short guy) is the most concealable . Especially in warm weather. Cold weather will be an entii different story. For winder I may get a nice own holster and mabey give the shoulder holster thing a shot . Of them all that seems to be the one I may like the most . Here are some pics of me wearing the gun in holster. Any thoughts are appreciated . Is this correct? IMG_20190708_214901.jpg IMG_20190708_214849.jpg IMG_20190708_214840.jpg seems to me that the but of the gun sticks out and makes a bulge in my shirt . But when moved over more twords the zipper on my very in ironed shorts it does not.

Guy, Glock Holiday, VAsticks and 4 others like this.
  2. SavageJak

SavageJak Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I appendix carry (which I do about 50% of the time) I offset my belt and carry right about the 1 o'clock position. I always carry with a round in the chamber. Always. My Glock is not going to set itself off in the holster and I am confident in my manipulations. There are too many situations that could limit my ability to chamber a round quickly. If you are comfortable enough to carry, you should be good to go for a loaded chamber.
    As for other carry positions: I carry at 4 o'clock (in a super comfortable Privateer Leather holster that has become a new fave) about 50% of the time and appendix about 50% of the time. I chest carry occasionally in a HPG Kit Bag as well. I have thought about adding a shoulder holster for certain conditions, but it would a low percentage carry for me. It does certainly have its applications though. Whatever works for you, works for you. I wouldn't let another's preferences outweigh my own.

trentu, JeffG, masiaka and 5 others like this.
  3. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your carry will be comfortable until you sit down. And I agree with Savage Jak's post, around 4ish and move it until it feels good to you.

SavageJak, JeffG, hdbeav and 3 others like this.
  4. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seems to me appendix carry at about half way between 1 and 2 o'clock is the most comfortable and the gun just vanashis . My wife gave me a hug the other day and was like what the hell is that. I said my gun! She like I had no idea u were wearing that. I said yup that's the point .

Guy, JeffG, morganbw and 1 other person like this.
  5. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I carry around 12:30. I don't think appendix is more dangerous than any other carry position. Always look and be careful as you reholster. The only way to make the gun fire is reholstering while something like a shirt is caught in front if the trigger. You can try this, it's darn near impossible to get the trigger to break like that.

If you want the comfort of your additional safety I would consider reinstalling the button safety before I would ever consider carrying an empty chamber. IMO. If you have one hand available and are in a scuffle, will you be able to get your gun in play? What if you only have your nondominant hand?

EDIT: do you have a wing on that holster?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  6. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll echo some of what has been said...AIWB is fine until I sit down. I've found between 3:30 - 4:00 to work best in most circumstances, but firearm, clothing and holster choices all matter.

Edit: And always one in the pipe

JeffG, morganbw and central joe like this.
  7. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carry appendix 100% of the time at about the 12:30 position (S&W M&P 2.0 compact) The holster I carry has a wing that the grip towards the belt and a pad that pushes the grip into your body a bit. This two items help immensely in the comfort/conceal ability. I’ve driven 4+ hours, ran around with my kids, slept on the couch with it, etc. no issues. It goes on in the morning and doesn’t come off until I go to bed.

A good appendix holster (really any holster) needs a good belt there’s tons of them out there the are a decent price (graith, blue alpha gear are under 50).

I don’t do carry rotation, I don’t change where I carry based on the weather. I carry the same gun in the same position. I wear shorts and t shirts during the summer and it gets 100+ here quite regularly. I also always carry one in the chamber.

Kurt992, Guy, Tye and 5 others like this.
  8. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I definitely don't want to put the safety back on! It's very uncomfortable in the iwb holster with no under shirt on. Again I totally understand that my weapon will not fire unless the trigger is pulled . I am confident in my skills as far as manulipation of my weapon while holstering and drawing with my finger off the trigger. It's drilled into my head so much to have that finger along the side of the frame as opposed to on the trigger. That I sometimes have to remind myself when at the range that it's ok to have my finger on the trigger lol. I tend to pull the trigger and let it go and return my index finger to the safe posit along the frame when I don't want to!! I want to follow through with the trigger pull leave it back while realigning the sights and slolwly rest it and press again. I have to concentrate on not taking my finger back off the trigger.

So I know it's not Gona go off . It's just I'm saying that thought is still there when you can feel that gun barrel pressing against you sensitive areas.!! I'm sure or at least hope that that's a feeling or slight fear that I will get over eventually with more frequent carry. I mean I know it's not gonna just decii to fire on its own but it's still something I think about like man that's a loaded fire arm pointing at my boys!!

central joe and Park Swan like this.
  9. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Make sure you're carrying that way because it works for you and not because you saw someone else do it or because its trendy.

Lee C., c99c, JeffG and 6 others like this.
  10. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here's my ppq with a comp, full size light. And my tightest shirt, bout ready to throw this shirt away, I never wear it out of the house / concealing. But still almost zero printing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not small.

[​IMG]

You could also try playing with the cant to make it fit better. Your setup looks pretty straight up and down as it is. Mine is at about 10 degrees. Draws better straight, conceals better canted.

Guy, JeffG, morganbw and 1 other person like this.
  11. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I should learn more about the internals of a striker fired pistol. But here goes so if it's Chamberd the firing pin is charged sorta like when an arrow is being held back . Right ? Constantly under tension. And the action of squeezing the trigger releases it. Then couldn't the spring In Wich charges it or mechanism that holds it back break or fail from idk design flaw or hair line fracture in the meatal or something allowing it to release ? However unlikely this is am I right in thinking that is what the fireng pin block that modern guns have come in. Because the trigger wasent pulled the block doesnt move ?

12. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I knew a guy on another forum that would disagree with you. :)
    20190709_115310.jpg

I think its a legitimate way to carry if you take precaution and it works for you.
    I do think a whole lot of people carry that way because its trendy but many don't. Kinda like how fast RMRs got popular, or .40 or back to 9mm. It's up to each person to decide what, how and where to carry of course.

JeffG, hdbeav, morganbw and 3 others like this.
  13. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I don't know the details of Smith and Wesson. But my PPQ, glocks, and others with a trigger safety don't allow the trigger to be pressed back without the trigger safety being pressed directly backwards first. It's a very solid mechanical safety.

EDIT: @Wasp Why did the gun go off?

14. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I carry appendix because it's the only way to really conceal on my frame with my chosen CCW. It's quick from the draw which is a big bonus. Don't really care what's trendy, but sometimes things gain popularity because they really are better. I see just as much refusal to accept better ways of doing things by people who are simply stubborn.

15. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I've never had a handgun inadvertently go off nor have I ever known anyone or of anyone.

Always carry with a round in the chamber.

JeffG, hdbeav, morganbw and 2 others like this.
  16. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I had to guess old leather holster that allowed the trigger to be pressed. Or the shirt got caught in the trigger while it was being reholstered.

JeffG, morganbw, FreeMe and 2 others like this.
  17. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    He was adjusting it in his pants/holster. Still happened regardless the reason.

18. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I get your point, but a ND while wearing a gun isn't going to be safe no matter where it's holstered. Maybe appendix is slightly worse, but holstering an owb at 3:00 can easily result in shooting very dangerous bodily areas. Shoulder holster muzzles unknown targets behind you. Appendix has an advantage that I can see where I'm holstering through the whole stroke and easily move garments out of the way with my nondominant hand.

The only way a gun is going off while being adjusted in the holster is either a very bad holster or garment caught in the trigger guard.

19. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Did you read my first and last line?
    "I think its a legitimate way to carry if you take precaution and it works for you."
    "It's up to each person to decide what, how and where to carry of course."

LOL it isn't "better" or a "refusal of a better way because of stubbornness"!
    If it works for you fine, go for it, I said so right off, and after all you don't need my permission anyway.
    Still, A LOT of people do it because its trendy. Same kinda crowd that thought .40 was amazing simply because the FBI did, or went back to 9 because LEOs did, or stuck an RMR on their gun because everyone on Instagram did. Not because its wgat they thought was good or it worked best, but because it was/is popular. If someone wants to follow the crowd instead of trying different methods to find what's best, fine I guess, but that's what kids do.
    Notice again, I didn't say anywhere that it was a bad method and even said several times do what's best....just not because its trendy or popular!
    I know a lot of legitimate carriers/shooters that carry appendix. I also know a lot that tried it and went back to 3/4 o'clock, and a lot that stayed with 3/4 o'clock because it worked well for them, none of them did it because somebody on YouTube or Instagram did it or because it has become trendy or popular.

That was my only point.

JeffG, Poppy Jay Jay, hdbeav and 3 others like this.
  20. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Of course, not trying to argue with you. I agree with all your points :)

JeffG, hdbeav, morganbw and 2 others like this.
  21. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Being shot in the buttcheek is completely different than the inner thigh groin for very obvious anatomy reasons which you've heard before.

I really wasn't trying to sidetrack the thread, I was just trying to make a valid point. Carry on. :)

22. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    What I meant when I said this is that with bad technique, which is how all NDs happen. Most people sweep their femoral while holstering strong side, which is why I don't think it's necessarily safer.

morganbw and central joe like this.
  23. Pablo

Pablo Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Regarding the concern about a loaded pistol pointed at one's jewels: Well, this'll ignite a firestorm, but here goes... I will not carry a semi auto pistol with a round in the chamber. If the goal of carrying a pistol is to improve my safety and the safety of those around me, the split second it takes to rack the slide does not (in my mind) reduce my ability to respond by any measurable degree. Having a round in the chamber though does (again, to my way of thinking) increase the chance of an accidental or negligent discharge. A double action revolver is a bit different given the amount of force and length of travel to pull the trigger. A semi auto though? I'm carrying it with an empty chamber.

morganbw, SilverFox and central joe like this.
  24. SilverFox

SilverFox Scout

Blog Posts:
    I appendix, my stub nose revolver. Works good for me.

25. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I been carrying at 4 o clock for 40 years. Never had an issue, round always in chamber. But if something were to happen I don't want to have to squat to pee. joe

Ptpalpha, JeffG, bluecow and 6 others like this.
  26. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Fallbrook Forge Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don’t have time to read all the comments at the moment. I will later.

If you’re not comfortable carrying appendix with a round in the chamber I would recommend carrying in another position that you ARE comfortable with a round in the chamber. You can manage to rack a round fairly quickly in the comfort of your home, I would never recommend anyone carry that way.

I carry appendix because it works for my build, it doesn’t print and is comfortable, I print like crazy at anything past 2oclock. 4oclock? Forgettaboutit! I might as well stuff a billboard in my pants.

Carry with a round in the chamber. Please.

27. Gruntinhusaybah

Blog Posts:
    You should look into a class with Craig Douglas from southnarc, and watch some videos from fight or flight tv.
    Attacks happen very quickly and many people are caught completely off guard. Are you going to remember to rack a round after you’ve been hit in the face with an axe from behind?

vincere, Ptpalpha, Wasp and 3 others like this.
  28. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    I always carry behind my right hip. The car thing is a pain. I never found appendix carry comfortable. Biggest thing either way is invest in a good gun belt. Don't skimp on the belt. Next New Guy question about CCW is where to put the gun when you use a public rest room.

29. Kennebago

Kennebago Scout

Blog Posts:
    Holster and belt matter a LOT. Last time I moved I drove for 10+ hours comfortably wearing a Glock 34 AIWB. Your gear has to fit you.

If you can't sit comfortably with a reasonably-sized pistol AIWB, I would probably look, uh, down your pants, and ask yourself where everything needs to go in order for you to be comfortable. Then find a holster that looks like it would do that.

There is also a big difference between generic no-cant IWB holsters worn in the appendix position and a purpose-built appendix rig.

Drawing on my own experience... AIWB is more comfortable if you aren't carrying extra weight. I've carried the same couple of guns at 195 and at 220, and 220 flipping sucks.

Ptpalpha, beacon, morganbw and 2 others like this.
  30. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think anyone answered your question yet. Yes, the firing pin block is designed to keep the pin from moving unless the trigger is pulled.

I am neither an advocate nor a detractor of appendix carry. Just make sure it's what works best for you, you use good equipment, and you train accordingly, and often. If you are skimping on any one of these, appendix is the most hazardous to your health.

31. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was always afraid of blowing my bits to bits...

central joe likes this.
  32. Pablo

Pablo Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    How would I get "hit in the face with an axe from behind"???... a typo I'm sure... a funny one though. Anyway, I get what you're saying, but my (unsubstantiated at best) thought is that the risk of carrying with a round in the chamber may very well outweigh any benefits from that mode of carry. If our OVERALL goal is risk reduction, a loaded chamber might not be the best option. One would have to do a lot of data analysis to back up or refute this idea, but I'll stick with it... for now.

central joe likes this.
  33. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    cross draw on the hip the holster you have will adjust.........

Swampdog and central joe like this.
  34. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is a lot like driving a car without wearing your seatbelt. Check out active self protection for a lot of information in general but he goes over carrying a round in the chamber and what can actually happen when you don’t.

Capin JRo, JeffG, Andy in NH and 2 others like this.
  35. hdbeav

hdbeav As Iron Sharpens Iron #24 / Noble Order of the Cup Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interesting to read both points of view.
    My view means no more or less than other opinions, just including my experience as the OP is seeking information. And I also have to say I dont know of any negligent discharges using appendix carry, so there is that. And yes I believe in carrying with a round chambered.

Appendix carry does not work FOR ME purely because I cant get past a loaded firearm being pointed at something I am not willing to destroy, even though its holstered. This would be the case sitting or bending over as stated, and drawing/holstering. Weird things happen. I carry at 3 o clock and have trained that way for too many years to switch. Not that I won't try something new, I'm always examining whats new in guns, holsters and shooting skills. I'm just trying to take the best advantage I can of years of training and repetition.

I have witnessed negligent discharges on police ranges. Humans are not perfect, and fortunately while violating one range rule, following the others prevented injury. Even a ND without injury is not soon forgotten. My point is, these officers had extensive training and knowledge, yet the NDs occurred due to a momentary lack of focus or distraction, which can happen to anyone at anytime. And the most NDs we had were with tasers. Officers were to take off the cartridge and spark test the taser each time they started a shift. The taser NDs (spark test with cartridge on, firing the cartridge) occurred even after EXTENSIVE training and familiarization. Again, humans have flaws. While they were completely familiar with the technique, they would get distracted with other issues while performing the task.
    Firearms are uniquely capable of causing great physical harm. For me it's best to set as much up in my favor for safety as I can.

All that to say, I really do see the pros of appendix carry, my experience leads me to conclude it's not for me, it just pushes the safety/wierd things happen issue too far to keep me comfortable.
    (And please dont snipe at my guys, they were embarrassed, received employment discipline and now face a career with the ND over their heads.)

I do appreciate @Knifeguy510 being an enthusiastic new gun owner and seeking knowledge as he proceeds, well done!

36. Manzi1

Manzi1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not comfortable for me due to my structure.

37. Gruntinhusaybah

Blog Posts:
    Oh, you’re sure it’s a typo are you?

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/rtmtv-bizarre-axe-attack-convenience-store

Properly equipped and trained there is zero danger in carrying a condition 1 firearm.

GrayGhost, 11C1P and Wasp like this.
  38. coalsmoke

coalsmoke Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't like my gat pointed at the old wedding tackle. I'd rather shoot my ass off.

39. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Whatever carry you choose, practice with it using an empty weapon a lot before loading 'er up. Personally, apart from being too fat, NO AIWB carry for me! I don't aim my Glock at my C**k! JMHO

Knifeguy510 and Gruntinhusaybah like this.
  40. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Again not to discredit those who choose appendix carry out of need....

We were having a discussion about risk on another forum. My point, which some didn't seem to grasp, was that grave consequences carry more weight than probability - for individuals. That doesn't mean that high consequences are necessarily the deciding factor, but that there should be a more pressing need for those consequences to be overcome by low probability.

My point in this case, is that if you have no need of such a carry method, the consequences may dictate that employing it is not worth the risk. Further, the risk isn't the gun discharging while in the holster - it's going to happen (if it happens) on the way in or out of the holster. The human factor can be reduced by training, but it can't be eliminated. Femoral artery destruction being almost guaranteed to be fatal, the consequences are high as can be. So if you don't actually have the need - why bother?

I just know that some will answer "speed". Really? You've already maxed your speed potential with others methods?

beacon, woodsranger and Gylippos like this.
  41. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Appendix carry is tactically most appropriate and best option but it comes down to your training , you need to be very confident and trained deploying the gun fast and safe or else your balls are on the menu :D we can't carry handguns if we could I'd carry 3 o'clock and maybe when I'm ready appendix , but without a doubt it's the best position , fastest and safest where it is hardest to take it away from you and easiest to conceal , if you go single stack you can even hide it when wearing a tucked in shirt , good luck :)

42. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Arguably its safer to carry appendix as you can watch the whole process of reholstering. When your done shooting you index your finger on the frame, clear your cover garment and look the gun back into the holster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bearin...unk-off-reality-aiwb-negligent-discharge/amp/

Here’s a good video of a guy with a UTM gun trying to shoot himself with an appendix holster.

As to reasons why appendix it is faster for me, it’s more comfortable, more concealable, more defendable from a gun grab, and able to carry a bigger gun easier.

As to risk aversion I don’t see it as more of a risk.

Park Swan likes this.
  43. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you aren't going to carry with one in the chamber, even moreso if the reason you are worried about shooting yourself, you shouldn't be carrying to begin with.

44. Coyotesilencer

Coyotesilencer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im right handed and have AIWB carried daily for over 10 years now at the 11o'clock position. My pants button lines up pretty much with the bottom of my G19's grip.

45. Anthonysaudiojournal

Anthonysaudiojournal Scout

Blog Posts:
    As a LEO with 28 yrs experience carrying off duty I rotate between appendix carry cross draw about 11:00 o'clock ( due to bad shoulder) and the standard right hip carry. I have been carrying a S&W mp .40 compact lately and its the most comfortable. I slide an extra 7 rd magazine in my back pocket vertically next to my badge wallet giving me a total of 15 rounds of .40 cal. When I'm in the car solo I just shove it between the seats where its easy to get to. When I'm with the family the mp, and two magazines go into my British Mk 7 gas mask bag ( Indiana Jones Satchel) and YES back in the day I used a fanny bag.

I've had to draw my weapon 3 times off duty over the years, 1. S&W 642 a stuffed in right front pocket, (stopped a robbery of me and my wife in a Walmart parking lot in broad daylight) 2. A Glock 22 from the center console (stopped a car jacking at a gas station at 4:00 am on the way to work) and .3 my M&P from the hip while assisting a CHP on a car stop that went sideways.

Thank God I had a gun when I did, I cringe just thinking what would have happend if I didn't.

Bax 40, Knifeguy510, beacon and 3 others like this.
  46. Redbullitt

Redbullitt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I favor appendix carry with a smaller pistol, lcp, lcr sized etc. Regular sized pistols wind up at about 4 for me. Haven't found anything better except for niche situations where other stuff works better.

47. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Whatever your carry mode, or position on your belt.....train, train, train. Carry a round in the chamber, please. The delay needed to rack a round into firing position, maybe lethal. The other hand you need to rack that round may not be available to you, after the draw.

Ptpalpha, Park Swan and Gylippos like this.
  48. ACinSA

ACinSA Bring it, don't sing it! Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I envy those of you able to Appendix-carry. Because I have a sizable Dickie-doo, I carry at the 4 o'clock with a round in the chamber ALWAYS! Having my Glock in that location is comfortable ( I wear it all day) and my draw can be easily masked in 'most' situations...even reaching to unbuckle my seatbelt, my thumb rubs right up against it and I know (practice, practice, practice) that the draw can easily be done without recognition. If I could Appendix-carry, I doubt I would change the location of here I carry today...I get it though. It's just me. Regardless, if your gonna carry, keep one in the pipe! Sure, with practice, a round can be chambered very quickly. But when milliseconds count, I'd rather have them in my favor. It's like those guys that say they can deploy their pocket knife (tip-down carry), as fast as the guys who carry tip up...yeah right!

For those of you who do not know what a 'Dickie-doo' is, it's when your belly sticks out more than your....

Aaron

mongo, Cwlongshot and JeffG like this.
  49. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    where do you like it....thats where it goes

woodsranger and JeffG like this.
  50. Pablo

Pablo Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Holy C$%p! Psycho Aussies... glad we live in 'murica where all our bad guys/gals are all nice, rational folks... As far as carrying w/a round chambered is concerned, I'm listening/digesting what others are saying in this post. I still disagree that there's "zero danger" for a properly equipped/trained person. Accidents are, after all, accidents, are seldom foreseen, and can happen to the best. Safeties get bumped off, triggers get caught, guns get dropped, bad guys get ahold of it first, an innocent gets ahold of it... or some bizarre, random combination of events. No one who experiences a negligent discharge plans for it, and up until the point the gun goes off probably think they're being safe. All sorts of stuff can happen. Negligent discharges for a trained/equipped person are a "low probability/high consequence" scenario. very, very rare, but with potentially devastating consequences. I'll continue to ponder it. We'll disagree for now.

Knifeguy510, hdbeav and FreeMe like this.