Are Survive knives really worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by City Bushcrafter, Apr 25, 2017.

1. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    I'm waiting on a GSO 4.1 factory second in CPM3V. I have read the horror stories from people waiting years for their knives, but I ordered a factory second since those are sold as they are found while fulfilling existing orders and are supposed to ship within 90 days. That time has passed and I was now told 120 days. I'm not sure if I want to continue waiting or really trust their given estimate.

I've been thinking about cancelling my order and buying something else. Are the knives really worth the wait?

buckfynn, DomC and Woods Walker like this.
  2. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have a 3.5 and 2.7 both of which were obtained on the secondary market.. They're sweet knives but I definitely wouldn't be into the long wait..
    They're a great company.. They're knives are well made and crazy sharp.. Hope it works out.. Keep an eye out on the BF exchange, they pop up FS regularly..

gwynn1975 and City Bushcrafter like this.
  3. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a 4.1 when they first came out. It was ok, but I sold it. There are other knives that are as good as I'll ever need, and a lot less expensive.

4. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I looked at them with all of the hype when they first came out and came to the same conclusion as @woodsranger did before actually putting an order in.

I don't need anymore knives, but I bought my first Tops not very long ago and it probably won't be my last being a tad thicker than I prefer but overbuilt for my uses, but I doubt any of them will replace my WCF.

woodsranger and City Bushcrafter like this.
  5. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    This. I've owned two 4.1's in 3V - I could get them sharp easily enough with a diamond stone, but they cannot even begin to compare to Bark River or Fallkniven in terms of slicing ability IMO..... I'd get a Bravo I LT or Bravo 1.25LT if I wanted a kick a$$ bush craft/survival knife in 3V or a Fallkniven F1 or S1 in VG10 and never look back......

fixits, Madwell, ra2bach and 3 others like this.
  6. OmegaMan73

OmegaMan73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a 4.1 and 3.1 in 3v both factory seconds. They are great knives. Id say if you have the time to wait then go ahead. But keep an eye out for one used. If you find a good deal grab it then cancel your order.

Madwell and City Bushcrafter like this.
  7. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I owned two.

I found the handles too thin. I wanted to like them but sold both.

I didn't feel the value.

8. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good knives. I have had the old style gso 4.1 and currently have an old style gso 3.5. I don't ever use the one I have, but it is a good knife. It isn't worth dealing with BS to get one. My 0.02$.

9. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now that others make knives in 3V its harder to justify. I like the two I own, 3.1 and 4.1, and they do give some real confidence that they will never let you down compared to knives made by others a few years back. I bought "in" to "upgrade" from knives I've owned for years. Survival knives are security, and confidence, which is why they are built a bit stouter than say a hunting knife. Survive Knives achieve these goals and executes them well. Best bits are they are very comfortable in use, pretty light weight, and agile. They cut very well for a long time.

So yes they are worth the wait, but no if you need a survival knife tomorrow. For a general purpose all round use then the 4.1 would be my recommendation. Bark River Bravo 1.25 LT would be my choice for something prettier, wood handled. While you wait get a Terava 110 (should be in stock next month) as they are very capable and not expensive, read bargain; make great spare and share knife anyway.

This scale of knife are fantastic general purpose sheath knives. They cut. They are not "power" choppers, nor breeze block beaters; there are other tools for that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  10. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've bought 7 knives from Survive. They have never delivered in a timely manner, or even at the stated time they gave! Your delay doesn't surprise me at all. They are very optimistic about delivery times, but never make it. At least that's my experience with them. That said, I think they make a quality product. Personally I hate the wait.

11. Mr Doyle

Mr Doyle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think they are good strong knives. but the pattern is very simple and there are many similar knives on the market in the same price bracket.
    It would be so much more simple if they just made a batch and then put them up for sale. I have seen this before and often small companies take on too many orders and cannot fullfill them.

12. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've wanted a GSO 3.5 in 3V for what feels like years. The secondary market is crazy on these because of the wait. Good for them - made in the USA is a plus.

Would go 20CV now that they are (ahem) available in that steel.

After some research, I picked up a Lionsteel M4 in M390 and am trilled for the money (half the cost). The M4 is a HUGE value. It resets my expectations on what a knife should cost.

So IMO, No. Not worth the wait or the coin.

Would I like to own one one day, of course...I want them all!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  13. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You will wait. Then you will wait some more. Then you will forget you ordered it. Then you will remember. Then you will wait again.

Hale Storm, denboat, Bassic and 6 others like this.
  14. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got a old style 4.1, and love it. I'm wearing it right now, it rotates with my Siembida Kestrel as a daily edc. That being said, I bought it at a stiff discount as a factory second when they switched styles, and had zero wait.

15. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Yes I think their pre-order business model is not a good model; at least not for the consumer. I thought that a factory second would be delivered on time since they were already working on the knife when they found the cosmetic defect. You would think they would just finish it up and ship it out.
    I've read that many that have bought factory seconds could not find anything wrong with them, not even a blemish. My theory on that is that since they are fulfilling existing pre-orders (collected the money a long time ago), they put out perfectly good knives as "factory second" as needed to generate income. But that is just a theory based on absolutely nothing more than speculation on my part.
    I guess I'll wait the 120 days and make a decision if I have not received it by then.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Broke, Madwell and freebirdfb like this.
  16. OmegaMan73

OmegaMan73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I am hard pressed to find whatever blem caused either of mine to ne factory seconds. Best I can tell is that there is an uneven spot in the blade finish. The blade is stonewashed but there is a little streak that is not. Barely noticeable unless the light gets it.

17. Schmittie

Schmittie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

This sums up my last experience from them. I was always a big supporter and excited for a new company producing a genuinely good tool. I had bought aother 4.1 when it was listed as "available and ready." 3 months later - no knife. After way too many emails I ended up with a knife, but not what I ordered. I would definitely buy on the secondary market. But never direct from them again :(

18. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    won't do ya much good if ya in a survival situation.

Broke, Madwell and City Bushcrafter like this.
  19. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think they are worth it. I currently use a 5 but I've also had a 4.1, 4.7, and 3.5 come and go. I just preferred the 5 over the others so I only kept it. I currently have a 6 on order. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to tell you how great the 6 is.

Broke, Madwell and City Bushcrafter like this.
  20. Badey

Badey Bushmaster Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have a 5.1 (used to have 2, but sold one) and have a 7/7 on order (I have been waiting for I think going on two years for the 7/7).

I used to be a big fan, back when they were one of the only companies making knives in 3V. Now I still think they are good knives, but their business model is very, very bad.

21. CSM-101

CSM-101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Old style 4.1, factory 2nd 4.7 and 5.1:

[​IMG]

I really like Survive! knives but the wait time is horrible, tomorrow will be two years waiting on a new style 4.1, :( I ordered the 5.1 at the same time and it took around 10 months before it shipped. To be fair both of these were the 'starter' knives and they made it clear that the knives didn't exist yet, but two years is a bit more than I bargained for.

The 4.7 was bought second hand, a buddy of mine on another forum found it for me, and I did pay a bit more for it, but I had it in hand in a week. If they had knives in stock on a regular basis I'd own several more... but I'm not buying any more from them until they get their act together.

22. Derzis

Derzis Scout

Blog Posts:
    You guys are best customer ever. I couldn't pay and wait the time you wait. Never ever. If you decided to have that knife despite the time line, who is me to tell you I don't think the knife is that good? I hope you will enjoy it once in your hands.

23. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If they are supposed to ship in 90 days but now tell you 120 what's to stop them from telling you 200 next?

Madwell, Badey and City Bushcrafter like this.
  24. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I want a 4.7, but there's no way I could stomach that kind of wait for a factory knife, let alone feeling like I was getting jerked around after the far off expected date came and went. Honestly, it's a testament to the quality of their knives that disgruntled customers haven't bad mouthed them out of business for such a poorly conceived business model.
    I've waited far, FAR less for one-off, full customs from very well known makers.
    All that being said, I still want a 4.7.
    But I'll get it from the secondary market, regardless of the premium.

25. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got a 4.1, 1st Gen on the secondary market. First thing I had to do was 90 degree the spine from the Jimping forward.
    I like a 90 degree spine to strike my Ferro and for processing Wood.
    For a Survival Knife,was surprised it didn't come this way.
    Nice little Knife other than that.
    Oh, and I had to try it for myself, won't throw a spark with Flint.

26. Rich V

Rich V Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ask yourself why they are in such demand. The wait sucks, yes. I have owned 4. The newer handles take some getting used too. Most love them. As far as performance-durability, it would be difficult finding something that compared. Not really a "bushcraft" knife though. If you like the design, put your money down and just wait, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

27. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Well I decided to call again yesterday to get an update on my order. I was given the same answer as 2 weeks ago: "We are delayed, it should ship within 30 days". I asked if she could confirm with certainty it would be shipped within the next 30 days, and she said no, because they work on them in batches (per model), and there was no real way to be certain. So I made the decision to cancel my order. I was told my refund would be issued this morning, but so far nothing through Paypal. I hope I won't have issues with the refund.

28. Rich V

Blog Posts:
    Sorry you canceled. Accurate dates continue to be their biggest downfall. You'll get your refund just be patient. One thing about Survive, they have never screwed anybody that I know of and I'm a regular on their blade forums. My 4.7 took almost 2 years.

29. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    This ^.
    Waiting and delays sure are annoying but then good things are worth the wait. Sure they don't have the best business model but frankly I'm just happy they aren't some huge conglomerate who frankly couldn't care a fig. They are a pretty small outfit trying their best. I'm just pleased they make knives I like. Others think so too.

I understand the modern world is "I want it now", but sometimes it just can't be so. I wouldn't want a ten year whisky hurried! At some point I might well order another as I think they make a very good survival knife. I have enough knives to get on with, so when it turns up doesn't really matter.

Your money, your call.

Madwell and Coryphene like this.
  30. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I remember you were asking about a 5-7" knife in stainless, and this was one of the finalists in your decision. is this what you decided on?..

I hope it's not water under the bridge but at the time I was thinking you would be well off to just go ahead and get the Fallkniven A1 and sell it when the GSO becomes available. you wouldn't have any trouble selling and I doubt you'd lose very much in the transaction.

certainly better than wait the ridiculous times the GSO requires...

31. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    2 years for a mid-tech knife? sorry, but to me that's ridiculous. I don't kknow if I'm going to be alive in two months, let alone 2 years. jeepers, hire some journeyman knife makers and train them to do what you do and then supply the demand..

If I wanted to wait 2 years I'd ask Iz Turley or Matt Paul to make me a custom. that would be worth the wait...

WanderingFool, Moe M., Zoomie and 6 others like this.
  32. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Must have been someone else. I ordered this knife way before I joined the forum.Not sure what I'm going to get instead yet.

Madwell and ra2bach like this.
  33. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
  34. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm not opposed to waiting for something if that's what it takes. Shot, I grew up in the 70s when you mailed in a check. They waited at least a week or three for it to clear before even thinking of shipping. Tracking numbers didn't exist. Anyhow, with so many top quality bush-craft knives out there, I wouldn't choose a company that operates that way. Why put yourself through that?

Broke, Keyser Söze, Madwell and 2 others like this.
  35. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Apples and oranges my friend. You don't buy a 10 year whiskey 10 years in advance. Whiskey makers don't sell all their bottles while they are buying the grain to malt.

36. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I'm being unreasonable, nor have the "I want it now" mentality. I understand they're a small outfit but I'm going by their self imposed deadlines for shipping factory seconds within 90 days . I understand sometimes things happen, but based on large customer feedback for this company it seems to be the norm.

I just chose not to continue waiting and take my business elsewhere.
    After all, there are many other knife makers out there, and perhaps I'll have to wait even longer for another knife, but that's ok because to me a person's word matters.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Broke, freebirdfb, Madwell and 4 others like this.
  37. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not enthusiastic about their business practice either, but thats what it is. I was happy to take a punt when they first started up, and would do again as I'm pleased with what they delivered on.
    Many do buy their whisky in advance, and usually turn a profit too once delivered. Same as ageing fine wines.

A lot has been said about Survive Knive's business model elsewhere. You either suck it up or take your business elsewhere. I was happy to support them in the past, and might well yet again. No, I don't do it on a regular basis but when it comes to my hobbies then we all do the oddest things. These guys caught my imagination with their products. Custom knife makers, swords or even guns, then sometimes it takes a large deposit and a whole lot of faith. Its a trust thing. Very occasionally it doesn't pay off. When it does then often you get something special.

I hope these guys can get to a more normal business model, but they seems to sell everything they can make, faster than they can make them. They haven't let anyone down yet, only on timing. I wouldn't want them to rush making them.
    Suppose if you can wait for a Survive Knives knife you can wait for that rescue helicopter, or the disappointment it not going to arrive for another few days! A year or two and you might have made your survival shelter into a mansion!! It goes with the territory, doesn't have to be for everyone.

Having some fun with this. Try being a farmer. Pour your money into the dirt and hope it grows. Winter Wheat and you will find out next year!!

Its a knife, plenty of choices out there.

38. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Go now! They have 20cv 4.7s in stock now.

Keyser Söze and Badey like this.
  39. theJman

theJman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Waiting 2 years to get such a simple knife sounds like they do screw people. 2 months for a 4.7 makes sense, but 2 years? No way.

My saga/journey/ordeal to get the 5.1 I ordered is typical of this company - basically, a joke - so I do feel your pain. There's nothing to justify the never-ending problems however.

City Bushcrafter likes this.
  40. Rich V

Blog Posts:
    Bottom line. With Survive, you will not find a more durable knife that is finished perfectly for anywhere near 225.00. Period.
    But if you are the type that stresses about a silly knife, don't do it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Muskett likes this.
  41. Lookin4lunkers

Lookin4lunkers Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive owned a GSO, more hype than anything else. Bark River Knives are far superior and you can have most models in your choice of handle material in a few days

Keyser Söze, XMP, T MAC and 2 others like this.
  42. GunGoBoom

Blog Posts:
    I had the exact opposite experience with Bark River.

43. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Update: It's been 3 days since I cancelled my order and asked for a refund. Still waiting for the refund.

44. CSM-101

CSM-101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've heard that they're also slow to get refunds, but I've never heard that the buyer didn't get one.

City Bushcrafter likes this.
  45. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good advice. I'm over wanting a 4.7, moving on.

46. theJman

theJman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Apparently you're not familiar with company's like LT Wright or Lionsteel. There are many knife manufacturers that easily match and exceed Survives "perfectly" finished knives, and for sure they handle the business part 10x better. But if you're the type that stresses over silly things like customer service and shipping product on time then don't do it.

jkc256, Chili, Broke and 3 others like this.
  47. Rich V

Blog Posts:
    My post wasn't to offend. There are individuals on the Survive forums that are really silly. They are so pissed about the wait but will not cancel because they want the blade. Constantly complaining, completely stressed. Move on or just forget about it till it arrives.
    I don't see anything from either of those companies that resemble a survive knife.

Ragman and Keyser Söze like this.
  48. theJman

theJman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Your initial post never mentioned resemblance to a Survive knife, only durability and quality relative to price. There are countless companies that can easily match them in those areas. For knives that share a similar appearance though I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head; Lionsteel M7, Allegheny Knifeworks M55, Alpha Knife AK2, Fletcher Knives Delta 5, Ambush Alpha Gen 2 and the Knife Research Legion SC (although I'm not sure if this company is still around).

WILL likes this.
  49. Bassic

Bassic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wonder how many employees they have ? also my guess it may be a business strategy long waiting times keep more capital coming secure business they may said "hey why rush" ghost blades sell a lot better that the real ones :53: ! Do they work more then 8 hours shifts to fulfill orders or they more layback no care on the world to make an extra effort to accomplish customer satisfaction on delivery times, I mean how many blades can they produce per batch 50, 100 ? I will put my $$ in if they take orders and don't get paid until the item its been shipped I bet you they will be more blades available weekly just my .02 , they can also go to shark tank for capital I bet they get school in not time lol

PS: looks like they spending a lot more time coming out with New models then working on customer orders I guess they can keep selling Ghost Blades, their new motto

Survive Blades "Making $$ daily, Shipping Yearly "

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Nonc-Tobe, Broke, WILL and 1 other person like this.
  50. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight Scout

Blog Posts:
    The custom in my avatar by Nick Allen of NWA says otherwise. This was made to my specs for 25o shipped with a leather sheath not a cheap plastic one. I would not wait a year for a PRODUCTION knife, nor would I pay the mark up on the secondary market for a knife I feel is priced fairly at the cost from the maker. There are better built knives that don't have a stupid long wait on them. I would be shocked if Survive was still around in 2-3 years they are the definition of poor customer service.

Also having handled a 5.1 I think our idea of what perfectly finished is might be slightly different.

Broke likes this.