are you a ham/amateur radio operator.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Trapper joe, Nov 26, 2015.

1. NickKnack

NickKnack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    KC3KCA

My only radio is a Baofeng UV-82HP at the moment. Looking into a mobile rig for the Jeep right now; and maybe a home setup in the future.

BushRadio, camp casey and marbleman like this.
  2. Jute

Jute Tracker

Blog Posts:
    KK4SYZ

Yeasu vx8dr
    Beofeng uv5r

BushRadio, camp casey and marbleman like this.
  3. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AG5KZ

Yeasu FT-60R

BushRadio likes this.
  4. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What's a HAM?

BushRadio likes this.
  5. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @K7JLJ Pssst, I'm the one you pilfered from on the USB stuff on your site. No worries, I pilfered it from Listening to Katrina. I've linked to that a lot here. I recommend the whole thing in a Truecrypt container, cleverly misnamed. For example, instead of naming it K7JLJ.BANK.ACCOUNTS.ZIP name it cancerphotos.iso Truecrypt doesn't care about the file extension.

EDIT: I take it a step further. I store the encrypted containers, on a bootable Linux USB stick. Most anything would work, but I like Puppy Linux. That way you can insure you are able to look at it on a non-infected, completely clean PC.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    BushRadio and K7JLJ like this.
  6. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's right! I'll be sure to update it, thanks.

7. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    @K7JLJ no need to quote me, quote and link to Listening To Katrina. I live in the Midwest USA where I will never have a hurricane, but that site changed my life, seriously. I have linked to it dozens of times here. It is huge, and takes quite a while to look through. It has workbooks, checklists, lots of things.

EDIT: and to keep it on topic, my wife just passed her tech, no call yet.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    BushRadio likes this.
  8. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will, I read it there years ago myself you just reminded me and I wanted to drive traffic here because I like the place so much. I'm going to add a how to on the linux bootable usb when I reformat my own. I will ln try puppy for the post since I never have got it working in years past. If not it's one click on my mint 19 install to make one.

9. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the thread drift....

How about a shack pick to get back on track...
    [​IMG]
    TenTec Eagle 599

10. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Mint/Ubuntu/any modern Debian variant is great. Puppy is a little more obscure, but it will boot on truly junk hardware, if need be. Add Truecrypt, and a few favorite tools, and it will run on anything. Tails is of course good, but a little harder to make backups. On my Puppy sticks, I get one all set up like I like it, then just dd if=/dev/sd<whatever-usb-stick-is> of=/home/wherever/yourfavoritename.iso That way I can reverse it, and crank them out, all identical. USB sticks are cheap, make many.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  11. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Yay, TT! I've got an Omni VII. Amazing, compared to the old junk I started with. Cool old brass pounder, on the right. I'm long cold on CW, but can still pick out a bit. Haven't operated it for a long time, hope to get back into it.

BushRadio likes this.
  12. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    CW QRP only with home brew dipoles and Hex beam and manual log book. IMG_5611.JPG

13. rurik

rurik Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a VK foundation lisence.

Currently I am operating a Yaesu 817 using a home made multiband Dipole for HF and a cheap mag mount for VHF/UHF. I also have the Baofeng BFF8HP but since getting the 817 I don’t tend to use it that much though it is nice to have as a backup.

Given my home location and the fact that there are six commercial AM radio stations within a mile of me I need to go portable to use HF.

I am thinking when I upgrade my lisence I will get a another HF Radio. I would like a ten tec scout but haven’t been able to find one at a decent price so I may go for something else.

Trapper joe, BushRadio and marbleman like this.
  14. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    KE0QHT, got my Tech license at the beginning of the year. Currently have a Baofeng f8hp with a larger antenna, and a old German tube Short wave radio to listen to.

BushRadio and marbleman like this.
  15. Benjamin Shoemaker

Benjamin Shoemaker Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It's that thing you put in the oven at holidays that is so delicious. lol

16. Bergziege_80

Bergziege_80 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    New to this forum and fairly new to HAM. I just got a handheld Yaesu VX-6R to carry with me in case of emergencies in the bush. KN4PGE

Trapper joe and marbleman like this.
  17. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the bunch, and congrats on the ticket. My wife recently passed her tech, trying to keep her in studying mode for general.

Trapper joe likes this.
  18. Allen Fox

Allen Fox Tracker

Blog Posts:
    KC7LHU here. When and if I get the hankering I run a small loop and a roll up jpole on my ft897.

marbleman likes this.
  19. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    AN update on what I've been up to. I now have a VHF/UFH mounted on my rook and can reach repeaters 90 miles away. I live on a small hill that is higher than most of the surrounding area. I also have an 10/20/40/80 M vertical antenna in the back yard. Regularly join the area emergency nets. Played a bit with FT8 and almost have all states and 100 country DX on that mode.

I've started designing and building my own equipment.

Also do a few SOTA and POTA activations during the summer. I combine my bushcraft and portable radio hobbies by camping at primitive sites in PA state forests and setting up the radio to make contacts.

My bushcrafting has slowed down a bit due to some medical issues. Amateur radio has taken up the slack as I work to gain enough stamina to get back into backpacking.

20. derfalmaus

derfalmaus Scout

Blog Posts:
    KD5GGC

21. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    @tabasco_joe congrats, you landed in it with both feet, running on ham radio!

Trapper joe and tabasco_joe like this.
  22. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    It wasn't that much of a leap as I'm an engineer with RF design experience. 35 of those years with Motorola.

Trapper joe likes this.
  23. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    I recall that, in our earlier discussion. You had all you need (and more) of technical knowledge, but you did more in your first few months than some hams do in a lifetime. Both WAS and DXCC pretty darn quick? I've been a ham since 1981, and I have not done either of those (nor pursued them, really). I love HF, but for the last 15 years have not been in a QTH where I could have more than a 30 ft piece of Cat5 cable, strung around the inside of a basement wall, completely underground. I can work strong stations on the east coast on 40 meters (I'm in the midwest USA). To me it's miraculous that I can work anything more than local.

I haven't pursued getting real antennas up, because I think we are moving this next spring/summer, to serious rural living (10 miles to the nearest Pepsi machine, and that's a town of 500). I won't have an antenna farm, but I can get something better up.

24. Phatforrest

Phatforrest Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Just upgraded to General two weeks ago. Picked up a Ft817nd, looking forward to taking it out in the woods.

Trapper joe, marbleman and Seacapt. like this.
  25. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    Kk4m??

General.
    Couple of Kenwood hf rigs, quad band mobile in my truck and another gathering a little use and a lot of dist in the house with an icom 2 m.

Just starting into digital modes now with an anytone 878. Fun to use and learn about but limited practicality.

Edit, to think out loud and wonder if anyone else is working digital DMR? What's the possibility of working up a round table on dmr if there's an interest?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  26. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    For Baofeng fans, or not, I just tested a new UV-5R EX in the lab at work. Plastic case is a new design of higher impact plastic. Buttons are redesigned and feel more like the higher reliability switches on Mot and Japanese HTs. Unit complies with FCC harmonic distortion requirements. Is FCC listed. Easy to program from front panel. (A big improvement.) Manual is written in understandable English.

It works on both amateur VHF/UHF as well as GMRS which is technically against FCC regulations. This unit works well although it seems to drop into squelch faster that I'd like at the end of a received transmission. Might be an adjustment for that. Still learning the features. I've been using it to check in to local ARES nets and works as well as my name brand HTs. Another minor downside is that it doesn't accept the larger capacity batteries I have for my other Baofengs.

$25 from Amazon. It's imported by Radioddity. May be why this model seems improved over the models Amcrest imports.

27. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, @tabasco_joe looks like it does not yet work with CHIRP, but CHIRP is very fast-moving, it probably will soon. A usable front panel is certainly welcome, but I like CHIRP, because I can import/export the 128 memories (I think?) across several different radios. When UV-5R first was out, there was a flurry of ROM updates for it. It's software-defined radio in the first place, so being able to update the OS is great, nice that an older one can get new features. I'll probably get one or two, good to hear of advancements.

28. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Chirp worked on mine. No issues. I actually set it up first with Chirp and then decided to add some additional channels manually.