1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Arthritis and bushcraft

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by backlasher, Apr 6, 2017.

1. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm 70 years old and have arthritis in most of my joints. I've had one hip replaced because of it. I have prescriptions for Naproxen 500mg, Tramadol 50 mg and Methocarbamol 750 mg. I don't take any of them anymore. Instead, I take 1000 mg of Turmeric twice a day and I've lost 29 pounds in about 9 months. I started at 199 lbs. The Turmeric helps with inflamation and the weight loss puts less strain on my joints. With the use of a hammock, I'm a lot more comfortable in the outdoors. I'm still stiff in the mornings but the pain is gone. I just thought I'd share with the group in case someone else can use my story to help them.

Ron, Flint_2016, gohammergo and 26 others like this.
  2. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting. I have severe joint pain from arthritis resulting from a nearly fatal accident and I'm not much younger than you. I take an anti-inflammatory and Tramadol, so to hear that turmeric relieves your pain is interesting and something I will have to look into.

3. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And don't forget your morning teaspoon full of Bragg's organic raw unfiltered cider vinegar.

4. Gramp Camp

Gramp Camp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great to hear you are making progress. AWESOME job on the weight loss!! I am a few years behind you but am starting to have some arthritis show up. My mother has struggled for years now. Thanks for the heads up on the turmeric!! Good luck and enjoy your time in the woods.

5. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, thanks for posting,,,

At 67, I suppose I'm a bit of a whippersnapper, but Arthur Itis has been making my life less easy for quite a while. Herself tries to get me to take turmeric to deal with it,,, I'm always the sceptic,,,

I tried hammocks, (almost 3 summers), and found them too confining,,, I'll be back in a tent this summer. A good inflatable pad, and an easier door should help,,,

I walk, snowshoe, ride my bike, lift weights, climb stairs, and push myself beyond my limits,,, then take a couple of aspirin when I get miserable,,,

No real cure for it I guess, do what helps, and keep moving,,,

6. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    You've got a year on me. Yes, "do what helps and keep moving" has been my mantra for awhile now. As I have said before, I start off slow and slow down from there.

7. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The last few years I taught school, I gained 100 pounds!! Then 11 years ago, I crashed it off in 6 months, and I've kept it off. The trade off is, I'm always hungry, I count calories, and I'm always hungry.

It's much the same with getting older,,, I'm always tired, I always hurt,,, I count miles, I lift weights, I climb stairs, I never pass on a chance to push myself, and my joints, physically. The trade off here is being tired, but I'm stronger than I would be if I gave up to the pain, but always tired,,, I can still enjoying doing what I love,,,

I wish there were wonder cures for obesity and arthritis, but until there are, stay hungry and keep moving,,,

8. SoreFeet

SoreFeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    Would you show a photo of the bottle of Turmeric you take? Or a link to it's website? I'd like to find the same thing and give it a try.

9. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have back issues that seem to be exacerbated with inflammation. I also take Turmeric, but not as much. Should double check my dosage and experiment with a higher dose...

Nowadays I take 50 mg. Tramadol each morning along with my supplements - Turmeric, Ginger, Fish Oil, Garlic, Vit. D and multiVit..

10. KFF

KFF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hope this works, just gave $40 to iherb.

The other half has early onset Arthur, been visiting since 20's so now 20 years later has moved in and bought a comfy seat in the joints.
    Anything would be better than pain meds that reek havoc in the stomach. Sure I make killer oatmeal but that aint gonna cure the system.

bacpacjac, backlasher and Haggis like this.
  11. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have early onset arthritis in my right hand as the result of a failed carpal tunnel release surgery a few years back. I've pretty much had to give up wood carving and leather working because of it. I haven't found anything yet that helps ease the pain on the bad days.

12. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    @Crazysanman & @NJHeart2Heart Sorry to hear that. I have lived with it so long that to me, it just is what it is, in varying degrees. I hate Tramadol because it makes me feel "foggy" and only take it when I must have relief and can't find it any other way. Even with it, the pain is always there; one must press on.

I say all that to let you know I emphasize and I want to encourage you to do what you love to the extent you are able. The only other choice is to give up and that is something I am just not willing to do.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  13. backlasher

Blog Posts:
    As I understand it: NSAIDs(Aspirin, Naproxen etc.) have a bad effect on the stomach while Acetaminophen has a bad effect on the liver. There are other things (like Turmeric) that help with inflamation and that's what Arthritis is really. I get the Turmeric at the grocery store with the vitamins. It helps me but everyone's body is different. As always, check with your doctor.

14. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, @backlasher for the heads-up on Tumeric! I have to try it. Are you attributing your weight loss to the tumeric as well? Or, is that more due to increased activity?

I have arthritis in my right knee, from an injury nearly 20 years ago and it really messes with my ability to squat, kneel, etc. The scar tissue also prevents me from fully extending my right leg. I tend to get gout if I'm not right on top of my hydration needs and the right knee has become the typical repository of any excess uric acid. Added to that, I'm chained to a desk every day. Hence the "Old" in Fat Old Man. (I'm 56) o_O

15. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I put tumeric on most of the things I eat and it doesn't seem to do any good. I haven't tried it in pill form though.

16. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, and Tylenol affects some other part of the body. My doctor said to rotate between the three.
    Oregano oil is supposed to help too.
    For morning stiffness, try MSM. My Naturopathic Doctor recommended it.

Thing is, for me, along with Simvastatin & Glocoma eye drops. There are so many things recommended to take; cod liver oil, MSM, Vitamin D drops, oregano oil, magnesium supplement, 81mg aspirin, Iron supplement, Vit. C, Vit. E, and on and on and on... I find I just rebel and take the two prescriptions while everything else is hit or miss.

17. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been using Bragg's for years . I'm a smidgen younger than 70 lol . I know the discomfort you speak of all to well though . I have rhumatory arthritis , bersitis and tendanitis and thats just from the waist down in both legs . So I'm all for pain relief , yeah .

18. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    44 diagnosed with RA when 34. Been all over the place, with permanent liver and gut damage from the NSAIDs and other drugs I've been on. I very rarely take anything past an Advil these days for pain and recommend the same. Doctors and the pharma industry are so quick to tell people to buy something to manage pain these days, it's literally killing people. All I can say is for me, staying active and fit and moving when I can and taking it easy when I can't is the best solution. And for ME personally just learning to deal with it has been a big part of getting better, I still every now and then have days where I can't move my hands or my feet hurt like heck for no reason at all but I try to make it through and move them as much as I can. (Then I usually drink a good dose of whiskey but your mileage may vary on that LOL.)

I have had mixed results with things like Turmeric, some kind of work but nothing really well. The best non-pharma thing I personally have used is a high dose of Omega-3 which does act like an anti-inflammatory at 2000mg a day or so. I do not want to recommend this though as you have to be very careful how to get this much, eating 12 fish oil pills a day is the wrong way and will kill you much faster than arthritis ever could.

For bushcraft, I HAVE to have a good chair or somewhere to sit. And yes a hammock is the way to go. I can still sleep in a tent but have had nights I almost literally could not get up to go to the bathroom in a tent sleeping on the ground.

19. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm fair bit younger and don't (think that I) have arthritis, but I take quite a bit more of turmeric for other reasons.

I think that (almost) everybody should be taking turmeric. People who are prone to certain types of kidney stone should exercise caution.

Personally, I would take more than you are if I had arthritis. I would also take it 3 or more times a day to get more of a "time release effect." Some other things:

-turmeric works better when you take it around meal time. It latches onto fat molecules and stays in your body longer.

-turmeric works better when combined with certain other herbs like black pepper or cayenne.

-taking a good oil will also help. I am currently using Black Cumin Seed Oil, which is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties.

-avoiding eggs, and dairy in general, seems to help with arthritis.

I've written a lot (maybe too much) about turmeric here:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threa...-multiple-purposes.145545/page-4#post-2861244

(There is some recent stuff at the end of that thread, too.)

And about arthritis in general here:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/arthritus-treatments.174881/#post-2985821

20. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man! This thread reads like the Senior Citizen's Sports Page!

I'm 68 and I have arthritis. I take tramadol as well. I stay away from NSAIDs since they react badly with another drug I take for Diabetic Neuropathy, Gabapentin. It's a nerve pain inhibitor.

I'll have to look into tumeric. It sounds like something I'd like to try. I'll have to check to make sure it doesn't react poorly with the other crap I have to take.

Thanks for the tip! It's nice to know there are so many gimped up geezers here!

As far as arthritis inhibiting bushcrafting or any other activities, you just have to work through the pain and do what you have to do. That's life!

Steve

21. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like the start of a group - "Gimped Up Geezers"

bacpacjac, PMSteve, SmilinJoe and 4 others like this.
  22. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow that sounds like my story in my right leg . I'm not claiming the old yet , the fat is a matter of perception . Lol

bacpacjac and backlasher like this.
  23. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I would have to be in .

bacpacjac and backlasher like this.
  24. backlasher

Blog Posts:
    FOM, I drink a lot of water, cut out dairy, red meat and anything good to eat! I'd like to lose a few more pounds but I'm happy with what I've done. Everyone wants a lighter weight of stuff to pack around but this was the easiest way to do it. I think part of not hurting so much is due to the weight loss.

25. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    A hippie friend of mine is on a low inflammation diet. She is almost 60. Is tougher than me on a hike, she almost never gets sick or takes any aspirin or ibuprofen, but she lives in Colorado so she is not completely drug free. She helped me cure colitis with diet and stress management.
    Recently I have notice some pain and stiffness after long gigs. This is my pick hand, not my fingering hand. So. Am about to try this diet. From what I can tell it is similar to paleo. No sugar, no dairy, co cultivated grains, no processed foods. Lots of good fats. Lots of veggies.
    But it is such a big step and quite difficult in a place like OKLAHOMA. I don't drink alcohol or soda pop. But I adore coffee
    I have come around the the realization that how you feel is often due to what you put in your body.

bacpacjac and SoreFeet like this.
  26. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been growing my own turmeric , and have used cider vinegar for years .
    Vinegar has a long history of dealing with arthritis .
    You might add shark cartilage to your diet for damaged joints . A good friend of mine swears by it (retired fireman)

bacpacjac and Harper like this.
  27. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    yes i drink a tea 2 or 3 times a day with tumeric and it does seem to help..so for those that might have an interest in it i offer this up.....tumeric lemon and ginger tea from yerba buena tea company it helps with a quezy tummy too........ybtco.com.....it seems too help and has no caffene for what its worth.

backlasher, bacpacjac and Harper like this.
  28. slowtaknow

slowtaknow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm only in my 40's and my knees are shot, and my elbows started to give signs of bursitis from being in the military. Forgot ask, do you put it in food or take it straight?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    backlasher and bacpacjac like this.
  29. James Pommet

James Pommet Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I too Have had a total hip replacement and I have a kit to make my own turmeric capsules. I am over weight I will have to start taking them again I live in MA. near Boston and miss the woods you have given me new hope thanks maybe I can get a place of my own someday.

bacpacjac, backlasher and Harper like this.
  30. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you are making them yourself, you can mix in some Black Pepper or Cayenne to make the Turmeric more effective.

Also, try to take Turmeric around mealtimes. It latches on to fat molecules and more of it stays in your system.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  31. James Pommet

James Pommet Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks I like to take the old medicine I
    to hopefully stop taking the prescribed stuff . I buy herbs and spices from internet stores in the USA only an ounce or buy the pound at most and try to make my own capsules and I make teas too thanks for the tip. Jay

backlasher and gohammergo like this.
  32. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I to have been diagnosed with arthritis about a year ago.I swear it started from working in 0 F. freezers all day at work for three years.Never heard the turmeric thing,I'll have to try it.It bothers me once October comes around in my knees and lower back,though my lower back's been an issue for about 20 years.I'm given shots and meds for the pain.

SoreFeet likes this.
  33. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is interesting. I'm not saying I have arthritis as I'm young at 42. I also have not sought out medical attention for any ailments as at 42 I'm still of the I'm indestructible mindset. All that said, my mom had a very early onset of rheumatoid arthritis around my age. I was in a severe car accident in which I broke my femur and dislocated my hip. I have a steel rod in mt left leg and screws in my hip and knee. I have had hip, knee, ankle, and foot pain daily for at least a decade now. Usually it's tolerable. Sometimes I limp and have sharp pain in my hip and knee. And after a long day or hard day at work it often takes me 20 yards or so before my feet don't hurt so bad and I can walk normally (for me). None of this has stopped me from doing anything I want to do but if this would help with the pain or inflammation I'd try it in a heartbeat.

34. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Turmeric will help with both the pain and inflammation--and prevent a lot of other things besides. It helps your heart, stomach, head and is a powerful cancer fighter. At the risk of being redundant, in my opinion, Turmeric is probably the best supplement a person can take for their long term health. Make sure you take a decent dosage though, preferablly with a meal or healthy oil. I try and have some sort of a workout 6 days a week. I usually take 4 caps., three times a day. If I feel that I really need it, I'll up to 6 caps. I haven't used any kind of asprin, advil, etc. for a good ten years with the exception of when I had some major dental work done. They are all bad for the liver--especially in the presence of alcohol. I'm also dealing with some past injuries.

You have to be careful with Turmeric if you are prone to certain types of kidney stones.

To give nutrition to the bones and tissue to help with past injuries , I also take these:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tis...words=dr+christopher+complete+tissue+and+bone

Usually two capsules, three times a day. I'll up it if I'm dealing with new injuries or really feel the workout.

Also, I take a good Omega 3 oil daily for the joints. I'm using Black Cumin Seed Oil these days, which is also a potent anti-infalammatory.

I have found these things to make a real difference.

There are other supplements as well, but these three things make a good "maintenance" program for bones, joints and tissue. They also give the body the nutrition it needs to help deal with old injuries. As I said above, Turmeric helps with all kinds of other things as well.

It is the kind of thing where you don't appreciate just how much these herbs are helping until you run out and don't buy more. You'll start to feel the old aches and pains again. Then you'll realize just how effective they were.

They are also cheap.

EvanStinson likes this.
  35. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Suffering from it myself, I can only say that as long as I steer clear from crabs or food additives I am fine. No stiff joints, no or very little aches.
    This means very little processed foods.
    Turmeric appears to be a great help too. So for next year the plans are being made up to start growing it myself.

Harper and EvanStinson like this.