(Article) Hydration for the Apocalypse: Creating & Storing A Long-Term Water Supply

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Harper, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

I don't like it when they use words like "Apocalypse." I think that it prejudices people about an otherwise imprortant topic: Emergency Water Storage. Otherwise, this is another good overview type article from this source:

http://www.survivaldan101.com/hydration-apocalypse-water-supply/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to supplement the article with some of my own comments:

1. I think that you need three components for a long-term water supply plan for your home:

a) A gravity filter (no electricity required) that can process gallons of water. A Berkey is probably the
    most popular brand. I have one with the additional white filters for daily use. You will discover
    how water is supposed to taste.

b) Water stored in containers. It can be used immediatedly in this fashion. The containers
    can be used for future storage. You can throw some of these in your car if you have to evacuate
    because of an emergency.

c) A long-term water source. This can be anything from a pond to a children's inflatable pool on your
    deck.

2. Fill up the bath tub with water at the onset of an emergency. The water is clean and you can still put
    through your filter.

3. Get dedicated water containers for storage. Plastic milk and soda bottles are designed to break down in
    landfills. This will leach into your water. The clear plastic soda bottles are better than the opaque
    milk bottles, but they too will break down. The BPA free blue containers available in the big box stores
    aren't terribly expensive.

4. I avoid the 55 gal. containers. They weigh about 500 lbs. when full. They will not be moved easily.
    I chose some 15 gal. containers and a number of 5, 6 and 7 gal. containers that are much easier to handle.

[​IMG]

5. Don't fill them up all the way. Leave some room for water expansion in case they freeze.

6. Water itself will store virtually forever in a stored container. But bacteria and the like can still grow.
    That is why it is important to have a filter.

7. Water is heavy. Storing the containers on top of slab on grade is fine. If you store them on wood
    construction, you might have to reinforce the flooring, joists, etc. A second story bedroom is not
    designed to store four 55 gal. containers in a small nook.

[​IMG]

8. While I don't like it, unscented bleach can be used to "purify" water for drinking. It is not meant for long
    term storage. Its effects will lessen over time. You will have to re-treat it prior to drinking. I don't like
    bleach because you don't know where it is coming from.

9. There are commercial downspout diverters which will prevent the "first flush" coming off your roof from
    going into your storage barrels.

[​IMG]

10. You should plan on storing more water than you think you will need. This is especially true if your set
    back a lot of dehydrated food. Don't forget pets and charity.

2. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Water is a huge concern. We have six 55 gallon rain barrels at the back of the house. They pretty much stay full except in extended periods of drought. The water in them can get pretty gnarly, but we have two Berkey filters and lots of wood so could always boil. I’ve been thinking of guttering my shop, 20X50 metal roof, and getting barrels for it. Backup is a couple of ponds, but that means hauling water. I hate hauling water, done it too often when I was a kid. “John! We need water.” “Aw, mom, do I hafta?”

JohnP

central joe and Harper like this.
  3. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Harper I think your advice is better than the link!

thisjohn and Harper like this.