(Article) Selco: The Dirty Truth About Water and Sanitation When the SHTF

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Harper, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Here is another piece by Selco:
    https://www.theorganicprepper.com/water-sanitation-shtf-selco/

From the article:

2. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While some of the "Selco" articles discuss problems associated with the overused "SHTF" moniker, this one addresses problems that may be more pertinent to urban dwellers (especially in cities with aging infrastructure) than most realize. A "boil order" is only a broken water main away in most cities. Buying a few cases of bottled water is the Band-Aid for those who see boiling as too much trouble. Of course, the chemical leak in the Charleston WV area a few years ago raised awareness of the challenges when boiling does not get the job done.

But how many cities or even neighborhoods have faced a "no flush" order? Generally in the past, a temporary problem at a sewage treatment plant was solved by a temporary "pass through" approach, where the good citizens were still permitted to "flush" and the, ah, material just sailed on through the plant untreated for the next city down stream to deal with as best they could. But what if that is not an option? A lot less people have given thought to how to deal with those consequences than where their next drink might come from.

For those with a yard and a shovel, a shrug of the shoulders and a "do what you gotta do" attitude may suffice. What about, say, high rise apartment dwellers? A 5 gal bucket, a seat and plastic bags are a short term solution, but what do you do with all those plastic do-do bags? Throw them in the park at night...or maybe in the river?? It isn't too difficult to see why the spread of disease quickly become a corollary problem.

Once again, we have an article that many will feel could never apply to "our" situation, whatever that situation might be. While we can hope and pray that they MAY never apply, I'm afraid that the fact is they COULD apply a lot more easily than many folks realize. And, they do currently apply to a significant portion of the world today. And if you have a plan for how you, your family and your community (however you define that word) would deal with these challenges, you deserve congratulations, but only if you have already acquired any materials you need to implement your plan, for those materials may not be available to you when the time comes that you need them.

3. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As i stated in an other thread, I live in Southern Illinois, and about 3 months age we had an "issue" with the quality and delivery of our municipal water supply. Actually over 60 different communities were affected. The water treatment plant at the source, (Rend Lake) had a 36 inch main out put line fail. I think it just was really old. There was no water going out to any of the served communities and with in 24 hrs. most areas were with out any water at all or some just really low pressure dirty water! This took between 5 & 7 days to finally get back up to speed. That's all another story for another time.

What I did find amazing was the way people were reacting. Of course I am talking about everyone rushing to the local Walmart (read, all stores that might sell bottle water). I already knew that people act crazy when put into a situation that is out of their control. I talk about this with my kids and friends all the time. But to see the way people were acting was "still" surprising! I actually saw people running thru the isles like zombies were at their heels. One guy was sending his wife out to the car? with two carts full of cases of bottled water and he was standing in front of a skid that had just been dropped and guarding it . He literally was spreading out his arms when people approached and told them this was his part and tried to scare them away. I cant wait to see what happens when that EMP hits!

The moral of the story as I see it; think ahead people. Putting aside a few liters of water every week is not a lot of work an can be done for almost no cost at all. Every one likes to make fun of the crazy prepper friend or neighbor, and then suddenly there's an "issue" and everyone freaks. think I need more bullets and spam...

4. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I store roughly 100 gallons off roof run off for watering the garden. It can and has been used for flushing our toilet if we have no juice. I also have 3 fresh clean drinkable springs within 2 miles of my house. So I may actually be a little lax on my water stores.

Still, I still keep roughy 20 gallons of dedicated drinking water on hand. In the form of 2 gallon containers. They get rotated frequently. The containers are a good size. Not too big, not to small.

I also have a real life working outhouse on my property. Living rural has it's advantages. If the grid is up. It has electric light and a milk house heater for winter.

Beyond that, I have materials and knowledge to construct a sand/charcoal filter. If it ever reaches that point.
    I feel I have sufficient supplies of potable water within easy reach.

From time to time. My mind plays through scenarios of things turning ugly. Because of who I am and how/where I live. I have a Plan B and Plan C for almost everything. The one thing I find difficult to recreate and painful to live without. Is toilet paper! I just plain like Toilet Paper.

Sure there are the woodsy options. I have tried and used many. They ain't much fun. Especially over the long term. Because of this. I never let my supply of TP drop below a one year supply. It is usually around the one and a half year level. But reaching the one year mark triggers a resupply purchase.

I figure 1.5 rolls per week based on usage over a 20 year period. I'm sure that could be almost cut in half with more efficent usage. Plus I have a couple of old boxes of paper magazines in dry storage as back up.

I'm sure old issues of Backwoodsman would be happy to be read one last time before making the final sacrifice.

I consider myself pretty resilient and even still a little tough. Although at 58, not what I once was.
    But man, I want my TP!.

I have and can again if necessary, drag my butt through ferns, over moss, use inner bark or leaves. None of it comes close to TP.

Plus, with my mindset of multi use, portable, and works off grid. TP rocks!
    It's a cheaply purchased barter item. Thrown in a coffee can with some alcohol it's a stove. Wound care, tissue paper, and fire starter, Just way to versatile not to have around.

For me this is literally the other end of the water problem.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  5. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Safe drinking water and sanitation/ hygiene are part of a single issue.
    Lot of ways to get safe drinking water. Solar treatment of plastic water bottles is used in third world countries.
    For those willing to make an investment, a Berkey filter with spare ceramic candles can last a long time. 5 gallon plastic buckets can provide storage, toilet, and with a bit of work a few can be made into a slow sand filter / pre filter. The buckets can be used to store plastic bags and TP in quantity.

The problem of waste disposal is not just a personal one. Look at any urban center and see the massive number of apartment complexes. Without a well organized disposal regimen the situation will rapidly become critical, and diseases will hit hard in an already weakened population. Not an unlikely scenario either.

6. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Got too thinking ,on another site the idea of using a cloth and washing it after use seemed to be a good alternative ,
    however in stead of a cloth may be a brush that is washed being easier to clean than cloth and gentler to the skin.
    Washing will always be a necessity and developing a protocol for the process is prudent.
    Also , I recently saw an article for eating once a day being healthier .
    IF this is so , then visits to the john would be far less. food expectations might well go further.

Harper likes this.
  7. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    TP can easily be a non issue, at least for a few years. I know that one 55 gallon plastic drum full of rolls of TP will last the 3 of us here for well over a year. That is with normal visitors too. I have several...

Cleaning drinking water is a non issue. Berkey will work if the well water somehow gets contaminated.

Storing water is about to become a non issue, 3000 gallon water tank just arrived.

Getting water out of the well is still an issue if the grid is down. I haven’t made the connections for the well-to-generator yet. But that could happen in a few hours. If the pump fails, then the work begins... making and using a well bucket. Sigh...

Flushing takes water but the septic tank can handle that. Another non issue.

I still want to make an outhouse. (It will be a garden tool shed... :4: )

LostViking, Harper and Boondocks70 like this.