ATV implements

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by sweet trav, Jun 20, 2019.

1. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anyone use any atv implements for plowing for farming?

Ive seen some online just not sure on quality.

Thnx
    T

2. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I’ve used a pull behind disc quite a bit. It could be flipped over and would ride on the wheels to pull to the site. It worked really well for me but would usually tie a couple of concrete blocks to the top to give it some more weight. Also I’d typically disc the area at least twice.

Have also used a pull behind rough cut mower that worked great as well.... if you could ride over it with the atv then it’d get cut. Up to about 2 inch diameter or so.

Tried using a hay rake to clear pine straw from fire breaks but that didn’t work out very well. Too many roots

Only other implement I’ve used was a pull behind seed/fertilizer spreader that worked excellent and could be pulled across pretty rough terrain.

I don’t have much land now and no use for an atv, but they can do a lot of great work

gila_dog and sweet trav like this.
  3. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a 5' blade I use on my Yamaha Big Bear, for pushing snow and brush. I've also used it for grading the driveway. I have a couple of small trailers I pull behind for various things.

I made a water sprayer from a 55 gallon barrel, an old snowmobile trailer axle, and a 12volt water pump. We filled the barrel and pulled it behind the wheeler to fill water buckets for the sheep and horses.

I also have started on a skidding tool for hauling logs out of the woods.

An ATV is pretty darn handy to have around.

gila_dog, sweet trav and ezra45 like this.
  4. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a bucket trailer...and a not so good grader...looking into plows now...

5. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious about what type of plowing you want to do. Just offhand, for plowing up a good piece of ground for the first time to grow vegetables for sale or something similar (canning for large family maybe), I would get a farmer to do the plowing and maybe an initial discing. You can use your atv, a garden tractor, small row-crop tractor, two wheel tractor, hand tools etc. later for maintaining the plot.

I've used small plows like the ones on atvs behind big garden tractors and it isn't all that great, compared to even a small tractor, but you can turn an existing plot pretty well. I'd also be concerned about how an atv would fare with a lot of plowing on unbroken or heavily compacted or trashy ground. Even a large tractor can be halted instantly with an old root, big rock, etc. My guess is an atv would break traction quickly which might be best for its drivetrain or it might burn out clutches or whatever with regular use. Just my thoughts.

6. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, @bgf beat me to it. If you are doing initial plowing (often nick-named sod-busting) a plow behind an ATV is not the right tool for the job. A disc is another story, because the nature of it, it rolls mostly on top of the ground, but that's a secondary tillage tool. A plow is digging in. I have no experience pulling farm equipment with an ATV, but I have decades of experience pulling farm equipment with real tractors.

If it's a single-bottom plow, in loose sandy soil, with a large ATV that is weighted down? Maybe. No ATV has the weight/traction/power that a real tractor does.

Forestree, sweet trav and bgf like this.
  7. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a dump trailer I used for landscaping.

13495080_10154322962618351_8131781730556374120_n.jpg

4048PS-ATV_11693_600.jpg

Forestree and sweet trav like this.
  8. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a 7' plow on my Teryx for snow and minor dirt pushing. It's mandatory for where I live. I also have dual winches, I use the rear one for skidding logs. Works great!

Forestree and sweet trav like this.
  9. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think for plowing dirt, as in land tillage for farming, he is looking at something like this, not a snowplow:

[​IMG]

EDIT: This is a moldboard plow, the oldest type. There are newer types, chisel plow, disk plow, and sub-soilers, but this is the traditional plow. That piece (plow share) on bottom is harder than the rest, and is replaceable. That's what takes all of the wear. That sharp tip of the share is being pulled along, 4 to 8 inches deep.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Forestree and bgf like this.
  10. sweet trav

sweet trav Guide

Blog Posts:
    I do have a front plow for snow...im looking into brush cutters too for the atv...i think the rear farming plow may be too much for the atv as has been noted.

Forestree likes this.
  11. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have a utv on our farm, which is very handy. As far as field work, that is all done with our tractor. Where I live, it is very rocky and hilly. I never use a plow on new ground. I use a roto tiller behind my tractor. First pass shallow, pick rocks. Second pass, a little deeper, pick rocks etc. Go very slow. I think an atv with a plow is under weight and under powered for this job. After a few growing seasons, this may change, it would be easier on a smaller machines.

Forestree likes this.