Autism awareness month

Discussion in 'JB Knife & Tool' started by brian7498, Apr 2, 2015.

1. brian7498

brian7498 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey folks! just in case you didnt know today is World Autism day and April starts Autism Awareness month. When i get a little more time today i'll right a better post about this, but in the mean time, Think about the people in your life that may be affected by this. I'm willing to bet that most of you here either have someone in your family or know someone who does that is effected by this in some degree or another. Do yourself and them a favor by taking a some time this month to learn a little bit about this. Once you learn a little, take some time and think what it would be like to be a parent of a child on the "spectrum", or to be the 14 year old boy who is "high functioning" and cant figure out why he doesn't fit in or cant relate to the other kids around him. By immersing yourself in this world, you may find a whole other level of patience and understanding the next time you see a kid "misbehaving" in public. :)

If you have any questions that you dont feel like posting here, feel free to send me a PM :)

2. yourboringfriend

yourboringfriend Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great positive thoughts here for those affected. I will definitely keep those people in my thoughts brother!

3. brian7498

brian7498 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you sir!

4. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I work with a higher functioning gentleman on the spectrum and in fact used to be his direct supervisor. It was difficult at times, and required a lot of patience and regular supervision lest he lose focus. Sometimes his coworkers struggle to find that understanding at times when having to work alongside of him. But he is dedicated to a fault. His attendance record is immaculate (he went 2 full years without a single call-in when I supervised him). He's genuinely caring and loyal towards anyone that treats him with respect, including myself. In short, he's good people.

Interestingly, he's also what I would consider to be a savant with dates, and figures. He's a hockey fanatic that can tell you the stats of half the players in the NHL from memory. To this day he remembers my birthday, wedding anniversary, and my son's birthday.

He's a good soul and he's taught me a lot about patience.

5. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can tell you what it's like to be a parent of an Autistic child and I am always wishing I knew what it is like to be him.

6. MysticFlight

MysticFlight Guide

Blog Posts:
    My nephew is autistic. Both difficult and amazing at the same time

7. brian7498

brian7498 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the response guys! :)

HeadyBrew : That guys sounds awesome! My son is similar, ask him about an animal or a dinosaur and he will give you more facts than you ever wanted to know :)

Cohutta: Same here, give me a shout sometime if you ever want to talk about it :)

MysticFlight : it sounds like you are a very supportive uncle, im sure that goes a long way with your brother. My little brother has always been there for us, even when a lot of the other family was not.

8. Chazzle

Chazzle Wandering Teacher Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a Special Education teacher, and I have students on the Autism Spectrum.
    I really enjoy working with my students, and their unique experiences and perceptions in life. During the month of June I work summer school with students with more severe forms of autism, teaching them job skills for employment, volunteering, or sheltered workshop opportunities. I also work with them on daily living skills like cooking, meal preparation, laundry, and related things. I have communicated and collaborated with many parents of children with Autism, and I have nothing but respect and admiration of their hard work, patience, and dedication.

People often ask me how they can help raise awareness of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and others, and I encourage them to use "People First Language". Instead of using a disability to describe someone (e.g. "that autistic child"), emphasize the person first (e.g. "that child with autism"). Using people first language with anyone with a disability helps encourage awareness and respect.
    I refuse using the word "handicapped" because that term came from back in the day, people with disabilities were supossed to have thier caps handy for begging with! The R-word, is also unacceptable in my house.

If anyone has any questions about ASD or other disabilities, I would be more than happy to answer them. If I dont know the answer, I will find someone who does.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Tammy Trayer writes about self reliance and lives the lifestyle with her family including a child who is autistic.
    I've enjoyed her insight in a few articles she wrote for Self Reliance Illustrated.
    http://trayerwilderness.com/?s=autism&submit=Search

10. Mukluk

Mukluk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same here...

11. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    My son is 17yo and working on his Eagle project and finishing his last Merit Badges. He started scouts at 13 and I went to every outing for the first couple of years. He now goes on the outings without me. It's heartbreaking and encouraging at the same time. I've said for a long time that he is the same as any other teenager just magnified and he has been a little delayed.

He is very Obsessive/Compulsive. This is good when baking a cake as it will always be made the same way. The problem comes when you're out of an ingredient and a substitution is needed.

When he was 4yo he almost quit talking. What he did say was just parroting and his mind would outrun his mouth. He was very sensitive. He would scream when the phone rang. I had to hold him for a haircut and we would both be covered with sweat and spit and tears. Now, he can handle all of that and he can get up in front of his scout troop and remind them of every stop they made driving from Georgia to Philmont. He was the crew leader on this last trip to Philmont.

If you are a parent don't give up and keep them involved. Church was the worst place, when he was younger and he got picked on. We just quit going for a while. Now we go to a church where he is accepted and he's now playing guitar with the youth band. School didn't work out so we started homeschooling when he was in second grade. The homeschool children he has been around accepted him and involved him in their activities.

If you know someone with a child with Autism, help them. It can be overwhelming day-in and day-out. They will feel isolated. They will be frustrated and all sorts of bad thoughts will be running through their minds. If possible, watching the child for just an hour and letting the parent go to the grocery store alone is worth more than you can imagine.

12. brian7498

brian7498 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cohutta, man we've just about walked the same path :). My son quit talk at two and didn't say a word again until he was 7. Like you said, his first words after that were just parroting. Screaming fits and crying were pretty common, which made going anywhere a pain. I could go on and on, but now he's 14 and doing really well. We home school and have a very active home school group that he as great group of friends with. Glad to hear your boy is in the scout and doing well buddy! Drop me a line if you ever need to vent, its helps sometimes to have someone who's been there to talk to ;)