Axe handle wood grain orientation?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Ullr-North, Aug 14, 2019.

1. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One other thing not mentioned often is growth rings per inch. You want about 8 rings per inch. 16 rings per inch or more is too much and makes a weaker handle. That is why the old catalogs stressed second-growth wood over slow-growing old growth. This is due to more pores in the wood in old growth wood.

2. garry3

garry3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    There was a time when none of this was a matter of debate. There was a consensuses across all the trades that used hickory handles for a living and broke and seen many more break. We didn't care at all about some government study telling use that heart wood is just as good as sap wood or this grain direction is the equal to that. It is only debated now that we have internet experts quoting study's and manufactures claiming it is OK.
    Buy and use what ever you like. ;)

beestokk and Kelly W like this.
  3. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @garry3

Amen brother. Most folks all worried about handles have probably never broken one.

beestokk likes this.
  4. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    An application which can be quite demanding for wooden handles is for the post hole digger. Into the “way back” machine, mid 60’s. My father died when I was quite young (3 1/2) and the post hole diggers were one of the few tools I “inherited”. I was building a fence for my ag project, a heifer. I broke the handle trying to dig in clay soil. Not such a big problem, the grocery store had handles. I didn’t know anything about selecting handles, but they are easy to install. Easy that is, provided you have a way to bore holes for the bolts to go through. Well, I probably made the holes by heating a nail red hot and burning the holes.

I hardly used the diggers a minute before that new handle broke. Out of frustration I picked up the handle and threw it a few feet. It broke in half on hitting the ground. I learned that day about grain run out. The grain was horribly bad on that. No one should have ever made that handle in the first place and no one should have bought it. Lesson learned.

beestokk and A17 like this.
  5. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yeah how dare them science types creating vaccines and antibiotics and bypasses... leeches and blood letting is the only proper way. You know those doctors did it every day for 50 years so that must have been the correct way to treat TB. There's no need for government funded research :rolleyes: I mean we've only nearly doubled the global life expectancy of people since 1900. Boo hiss science. Let's not just mention it was debunked 100 years ago. Then again we still have a good portion of the population that think vaccines give you autism.

beestokk likes this.