Axe/Hatchet/Hawk as a knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by dayhiker, Sep 20, 2011.

1. dayhiker

dayhiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    How many of you use your Axe/Hatchet/Hawk for knife duties? Do any of you feel comfortable enough to carry your axe/hatchet/hawk as your primary (or even only) cutting tool?

I don't have much spare time lately to be in the woods or to backyard bushcraft. But learning to use my hatchet for knife work is high on my to do list.Still haven't mastered my control, so my cuts aren't precise enough.

My latest attempt..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little sloppy and light triggered.

[​IMG]

Just playing with curls.

2. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like excellent work to me. I always thought a light trigger was a good thing, as long as the wind won't set it off.

I can't do that kind of work with my axe or hawk. I generally only use them for the larger carving tasks where a chopping motion is more useful. Perhaps I should give fine work another try with the 'ol chopper.

3. Hubb

Hubb Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've used my Fiskars hatchet for general knife duties and it worked okay. I've also carved a fish hook and spoon with it. It was different though.

4. Lil Red

Lil Red Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love the process. I often find myself using my smaller axes and hatchets for the finer work simply because I'm lazy and I already have it in my hand lol! A few days ago I carved a spoon with nothing but my hatchet for all the carving work and a spoon knife for the bowl only. It wasn't perfect, but was absolutely fine for use.

5. tommysjr4045

tommysjr4045 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not that strong with the knife. Since I just sit at a computer most days I don't get the hand workout I'd like for carving etc. So I like to use a hatchet / axe to help as it gives a little extra weight.

Doesn't work for every task - but for most of the mid sized stuff - it's fine.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Guide

Blog Posts:
    After viewing many of the videos and post on this forum I have no qualms about expanding the use of my axe/hatchet/ hawk in the field.

7. BigHat

BigHat Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i love my small axes. i use my axe for a lot of things, even if i have a knife. it's great for many things, so i use it a lot, because it's already in my hand. i need to try a try stick with an axe one of these days...

Stophel likes this.
  8. Aguineapig

Aguineapig Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use axes extensively for carving so I have a good feel for em. I usually just carry a boys axe and an opinel or a scandi fixed blade in the woods. The axe gets the majority of the work and the knives just come out for feather sticks and whatnot.

9. Poppabear

Poppabear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Funny this post should come up. I been trying to use my hawk and hatchet for knife duties quite a bit lately. I'm getting better at it, but have a long ways to go.

10. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If I already have a hawk in hand and need a knife I'll try the hawk first. Many times it works, sometimes I need to get my knife out. I can prep a fire ok and make a pot hanger.

11. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just to see if I could I once dressed a coastal black tail doe with a hatchet. It worked really well for skining - much to my surprise. I separated the shoulders and cut off the ribs with it too. After that my dad could not stand it any longer and insisted I had to use a knife to finnish the job. "It's just the proper way to do it, you know". He was German after all.....LOL.

The more I use it the more I have to agree with the old timers, that an axe is the one tool you want to be left with when you have lost everything else.

Medicine maker likes this.
  12. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am always surprised I dont see this more. I always think how much ancient man would have loved to have a flint sharp edge on their stone axes. And now that we have an axe that can carve nearly down to wood spirit level. Im surprised you usually dont see more than the simple fatwood feather stick.

Bobsdock and jasam like this.
  13. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Holy thread revival Medicinemaker, you are on a roll today. Have you looked through the Axe and Saw thread? Plenty of folks using their razor sharp axes on there.

14. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    :18::18: idk why that was funny but it was. I havent given those threads the love I should. Thatll have to change.

15. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Lol, NWPrimate's "Sharp tools in Action" is a thread to really invest time in, as well as the Tracker Action thread, and the Bolt Knife a go go. Cheers!

Bobsdock and Medicine maker like this.
  16. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well I mean those are the standards. The Sharo Tools thread is seriously the place to see paint knocled off.

americanstrat98 likes this.