Axe

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Grand PJ Fresh, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Grand PJ Fresh

Grand PJ Fresh Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys just joined club yesterday and couldn't wait to post some of my question. I have only been collecting axes for about 1 1/2 years and have accumulated around 30 thus far. Half of which I got about 1 week ago from my wifes grandfather who had passed. needless to say, he had better axes than I had. I found a plumb single bit, Brazil knap single bit, Collins single bit, bellnap hatchet, craftsman hatchet. Collins lipincott kelly works double bit, and 2 that I am having trouble identifying and that's where you guys come in for the rescue lol I hope. One is a double bit with kind of a oval brand with a banner through the middle. The top half of the banner I can't make out at all the middle ends with what I believe is IGO • LINE and the end of the bottom reads Y Built. I will include pic and write another thread for the other axe I have and promise it won't be this long. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Bzink

Bzink Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As a heads up if your on facebook also check out the axe hounds group.

3. Grand PJ Fresh

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Bzink

4. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Paging @Kelly W (just yesterday he correctly identified a little hatchet head of mine with only one legible letter to go on!)

Kelly W likes this.
  5. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    And welcome to the madness!

6. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got lucky @Ptpalpha!

@Grand PJ Fresh Take some pics ~ north, south, east, west of the stamp..Bet we can figure it out. Try to bend the stamp into the light best ya can. Welcome to bcusa

7. Grand PJ Fresh

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys thanks for the welcome, I have included best possible pics hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. Grand PJ Fresh

Blog Posts:
    Ok guys this second set of pics is the single bit. I know it is a Collins but there is a stamp on reverse side. I assume it was the distributors mark. Just getting into collecting so not familiar with styles at this point just single bit, double bit, and hatchet lol I will learn fellas. Before I started cleaning this single bit I thought it was made in someone's garage, because it looked like poor quality. I knew it was older but as you can see in pic it is starting to spit where it was folded together. After cleaning I seen Collins then on the reverse side the stamp that is in question. Hey thanks again fellas for helping me all you can. I hope to be on here alot due to my new found hobby

Attached Files:

9. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Stratton & Terstegge Co., Louisville, Kentucky.
    The stamp reads:
    ACTION TOOLS, STRATCO-LINER, QUALITY BUILT

Miller White likes this.
  10. Grand PJ Fresh

Blog Posts:
    Thanks ptpalpha, was this a good find? I have never heard anyone mention the maker in all the threads I have read in the past. It seems like it's always Kelly, Collins, or Plumb...Thanks again Gentlemen. What did you think about the single bit Collins I posted?

11. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I don't know much about the history of Collins, so I'm not going to be any help with that one, other than the obvious observation that I'd say yours is ready for retirement, lol.
    As for the Stratton, I'd never heard of it before your post, and without seeing a full pic of it I can't really give you an opinion on it.
    I like to see high centerlines and deep/high temper bits on any heads I'm going to take the time to restore and hang.
    I don't mind a little bit of mushrooming of the poll, but I don't like to see deformation of the eye.
    Hope that helps, but I'm far from an expert. There are many here that know far more about this topic than I.

12. Land

Land Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Grand PJ Fresh, your singlebit is an Everkeen made under contract for the John Pritzlaff Hardware Company. Collins, obviously, made yours, but Pritzlaff contracted with several makers over the years.

Here's what that stamp looks like (and I need to break out some oil ;) )
    69978526_2410921312560327_1939101927971225600_n.jpg

There's a little company history here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pritzlaff_Hardware_Company

And here:
    https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2016/07/19/yesterdays-milwaukee-the-largest-hardware-store-in-america/

All the best,
    Chris