(B) 5 Outings for Bushclassusa

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by IA Woodsman, Apr 27, 2011.

1. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing #3. Skills: Knots, camp craft, fire, cooking,

Snuck out of the house today and headed to the woods. Brought my shoulder bag along instead of a pack this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sat my bag down for a moment and noticed one of the D ring attachment loops on my shoulder bag was coming loose. I didn't think it would probably fail today, but I knew it would be harder to sew if it came any looser. I decided to put together a Roycroft frame to haul it the rest of the way it. I batoned in some butterfly cuts to mate the pieces and used jute to secure everything (I love me some jute). I didn't carve the top pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't have any good straps so I did a two strand twist on my paracord ridgeline to use as shoulder straps. It was several feet too long but worked great. Pics below to show how it 'wears'. Just to note, I'm definitely aware that this style pack is meant to haul a tied up bundle in a tarp or blanket, and that bundle should be what rests on your back, not the wood. But inconvenient times call for expedient measures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alrighty! With that settled, I pushed on a bit more. My goal was to put together a stew and, of course, some bannock for lunch. I needed some supplies for fire first. Found a dead cedar that was helpful.

[​IMG]

I decided that my GB Mini hasn't seen the dirt time that it deserves, so I elected to use it as my only cutting tool for the fire and food prep. I am hopeful that it's a good testament to the impressive usability of this eminently packable tool.

Gathering some tinder:
    [​IMG]

Don't have an axe loop so I used my tinder pouch to haul it around.
    [​IMG]

All gathered up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spindle prep. It's very comfortable to choke up on this blade and use it almost like a knife. It doesn't take a lot of effort to make your cuts, and it carves better than some of my belt knives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Batoning for hearth
    [​IMG]

Carved flat
    [​IMG]

Drilling divot
    [​IMG]

(Continued below)...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. SpookyPistolero

Blog Posts:
    Notch for bow to hold bank line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First effort was a bust! Good dust it seemed like but no flame. There was a split down my spindle business end (pre-existing) that I'm wondering if caused the issue. I carved it down, tried again. Sadly I got caught up trying to save a weak ember and didn't get a pic.

[​IMG]

I needed a tripod for my bitchin new zebra pot. Found a few straight-ish poles and lashed together.

[​IMG]

Jute to bind, found in my kit bag. Just thought I'd show a 'user view' for those who don't have one of these bags. They are fantastic for keeping handy items in your workspace. Go buy one now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fancy clove hitches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(continued below...)

BrandonJ and atlastrekker like this.
  3. SpookyPistolero

Blog Posts:
    Carved notch in pot hanger. Noticed the split running down the side. Wasn't sure if the heat would worsen it and cause it to drop my pot. Decided to whip it, and whip it good.

[​IMG]

Hanging from taught line hitch.
    [​IMG]

Food time. Mini chops food just fine. Added some old bay and cut up brats from the 4th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tada.
    [​IMG]

Got my bannock going too. Used a new-to-me recipe with garlic, onion, oregano, and cheddar cheese.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bannock came out great.
    [​IMG]

And it gives me my lid back so my stew will cook up better.

[​IMG]

Baby you gotta stew goin
    [​IMG]

After that I cleaned up, doused the fire, loaded my fancy pack, and headed home. I hope these pic-heavy reports are kosher, and thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

BrandonJ and atlastrekker like this.
  4. SpookyPistolero

Blog Posts:
    Outing #4: Friction fire, tree ID, charcloth, bannock, fuzz sticks, heat endurance (!)

Went out for a quick hike today. Found a tall cedar to start gathering some fire supplies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brought my Andaltool. Square spines are boss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting hearth in order.

[​IMG]

Fuzzies.

[​IMG]

Played around with a smaller spindle. Turned out fine. Also turns out grey leather gloves aren't a good background to photograph wisps of smoke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even in the heat I like to have a brew when I'm out. Not sure I can explain why.

[​IMG]

Next some charcloth and bannock. I put the bannock in a bit of foil suspended above the bottom of an aluminum rectangular loaf pan.

[​IMG]

The thing is... I sort of forgot to refill my oil tube. So this is what bannock looks like without any fats in it. Serviceable but not great. Also, I got surprised again by the amount of rise. Some stuck to the top of the foil. Such is life.

[​IMG]

At least the tin is clean afterwards.

[​IMG]

Hiking around post-snack. Some fleabane, lots of trees to ID.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of my favorite smells in the woods. "If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose."

[​IMG]

No shortage of sunshine today! Thanks for coming along with me.

[​IMG]

atlastrekker likes this.
  5. RILockGuy

RILockGuy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    First outing (for the lessons) - Saturday, 7/14 - Midstate Trail in MA, including Mt. Wachusett.

Hiked north up and over Wachusett, down to the northern end of the state park, then back up and over (ouch) and back to the car. From there, crossed the road and did a bit more along the Midstate Trail south in the Wachusett Meadows Audubon preserve. All in all, about 12 miles. Very hot and humid, and (for me) too many people.

As far as skills used, nothing with fire - being in a heavily trafficked area and prohibitions everywhere - but a lot of tree / plant ID, and collected some natural tinders to replenish my tinder-bag (punk wood and yellow birch peelings).

Trees seen: Eastern Hemlock (some old-growth), Eastern White Pine, American Beech, Yellow Birch, Grey Birch, Paper Birch, Chestnut (a little scraggly one, like always), White Oak (also old-growth - one I estimated from the trunk diameter as about 180 yrs old), Red Maple, Norway Maple, Sugar Maple, Black Locust, and a Hickory of some kind. Other noteworthy plants seen: Striped Maple (we don't have these in RI), Hobblebush (same), Red Elderberry in fruit (same), and Water Hemlock growing on the ski slopes (very very poisonous).

IMG_5465.JPG IMG_5472.JPG IMG_5484.JPG IMG_5487.JPG IMG_5489.JPG IMG_5492.JPG IMG_5494.JPG IMG_5496.JPG

atlastrekker likes this.
  6. RILockGuy

RILockGuy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Second outing for the lessons - Sunday, 7/15 - North-South Trail in Carolina, RI.

My son has just gotten into mountain biking and we gave him a nice bike for an early gift for his 13th bday which is at the end of the summer. Finally, he is psyched to go with me on all the trails that I know about from hiking. This morning, I took him on a section of the trail that traverses Rhode Island from Block Island Sound all the way to the Mass border. We just did about 6 miles of it today - I am not a biker and the muscles are WAY different then those I usually use. Plus, I just went up and over a mountain twice the day before! Anyway, along the way are a few hidden campsites by the Pawcatuck River and the Meadow Brook. I showed him these, and cooked some lunch at one, using the tinder I collected the day before at Mt. Wachusett. For the Cooking Implement lesson, I needed some cans and I had the chicken soup left from one. I used the solo stove I usually carry and heated it up over a twig fire lit with fire steel and jute.

Although I much prefer hiking over biking, I hope this will be a good way to get him out in the woods and for me to teach him things.

Sorry - not too many pictures. I was too busy showing him how to light the fire and forgot to take any.

IMG_5501.JPG

atlastrekker likes this.
  7. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
  8. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  9. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Outing #4. I've been fishing a lot this year, for the first time since I was a kid. Today I went out and caught a couple fish, looking for a decent sized bluegill to eat. I finally got one:

IMG_4868.jpg

So then I had to get a fire going to cook him. Made a big pile of shavings in my hat and lit them with a ferro rod.

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

I've never gutted a fish before. I did a terrible job, I think I wasted some meat, but I'm trying and learning. I grilled it up for a little bit and it was delicious.

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

I was pretty much picking the meat off the skin, wasn't a whole lot there...

I used the mora that I got from @Brew-Jitsu to gut the poor bluegill

IMG_4876.jpg

Gear for the day was my Finnish gas mask bag, which has become my go to fishing bag. I also was using my Zebco Dock Demon. Best $9.99 that I think I've ever spent.

IMG_4869.jpg

I fished some more and caught some more fish. Maybe bass? These are the biggest fish that I've ever caught, I was pretty pumped. The little 30" rod did a great job with these two bigger fish. It was a battle getting them in.

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

This was an awesome day out and I learned A LOT! Also used a lot of gear that I'd never used before. This is definitely a great place for me to go and practice skills. Easy to get to, but far enough from the road that no one else will bother me.

Young Blacksmith and Brew-Jitsu like this.
  10. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Outing #5

My fiancé saw online that the high was going to be 75f yesterday and she said "Hey, what do you think about going camping?". Uh, ya, twist my arm!

I worked on fire prep while she set up the tent. Used my fiddleback Kephart to make some rocking fuzz sticks. Struck the firesteel with my SAK saw. @ozarkhunter makes some ROCKING firesteels.

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

Wife to be approved.

IMG_4901.jpg

She threw the porkchops on the fire and they came out great.

IMG_4903.jpg

Hard to be mad about anything while sitting by the river.

IMG_4904.jpg

I sat down and worked on a mini try stick.

IMG_4909.jpg

Went to bed around 2130 after throwing some punky logs on the fire. Coyotes were yipping and growling, foxes were yelping, and the bard owls were singing (Interesting tidbit of conversation that we had... In native culture, owls symbolize death. I heard one and told her that it was cool, but freaky. She just looked at me and said "Death is all around us". Never thought about it that way. Doesn't necessarily mean that we're going to die...)

Dogs were good for the most part. Minimal growling, no barking. We only brought the 55* sleeping bag, she was going to use a blanket but forgot it at home. So, I ended up sleeping with a wool blanket from the trunk of the car and spooning the big dog. Worked for me. She decided she was ready to get up at 0500 this morning with the bard owls though.

IMG_4914.jpg

ozarkhunter likes this.
  11. Beaker

Beaker Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I finally got out for the last component of BushClass Basic class.....the #5 overnighter. I decided to do some bikepacking to a local campground to make the day a little more adventurous than just driving out.
    1.jpg

First task was to get my shelter set up, so I cut some tent stakes and ran the ridge line off of a single tree. I used tautline hitches to, well, make the tarp taught:) 2.jpg

Tarp setup 3.jpg

I used a large stake in the back of the tarp to attach my ridge line to. 4.jpg

The mosquitoes have been bad lately, so I brought along my hammock bug net. I set up a smaller ridge line to attach it to, and it worked out pretty well. 5.jpg

With my shelter set up, I got busy on a fire, so I collected lead, pencil, and thumb sized sticks. Enough for 3 fires. 6.jpg

I made some shavings to get the fire going with.
    7.jpg

I used a Wet-Tinder cube (man-made tinder) with my ferro rod to get a flame. 8.jpg

Shavings, lead and pencil sized sticks added to the fire. 9.jpg

Once the thumb sized sticks were added, I had a nice knee high flame going. 10.jpg

Continued.......

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  12. Beaker

Beaker Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    BushClass Basic Overnighter Continued.....

With the fire rolling, it was time to do some cooking. I pre-made some bannock mix and added water and mixed it up.
    11.jpg

I added the mix to a tin bowl and put it in the pot. 12.jpg

Into the fire. 13.jpg

I messed up a bit and accidentally tipped the pot, therefore some burnt edges, but overall, the taste turned out pretty good. 14.jpg

I also used my improvised cooking implement to cook up some noodles as well. 15.jpg

16.jpg

Another camp shot. 17.jpg

Good morning shot!! 18.jpg That's pretty much it! I really enjoyed doing the BushClass Basic class and will hopefully being the Intermediate class soon.....like maybe today:)

13. RILockGuy

RILockGuy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Saturday, Aug 4-2018

I had been meaning to do an overnight the last two weekends, but rain and thunderstorms prevented me. This was just a quick 6-mile hike to check out some new trails - again, rain was threatening.

The huckleberries and blueberries are at their peak right now, and I ate my fill. Basically worked on some plant ID, but I also collected some Pitch Pine punk wood for tinder, and an old, dried polypore shelf fungus. Pictures below. There was some berry-filled scat on the trail, so I knew I wasn't the only one chomping on berries. Anyone know if this is bear scat? [* Edit - apparently coyote and raccoon scat can also feature undigested berries. This is probably raccoon. It was about 1" in diameter.] Also, found a nice out-of-the-way place to overnight. Around here, if one wants to camp without paying and without being around 30-pack beer-guzzlers for a night (not that there's anything wrong with that!), a stealth camp location is necessary. This one was in an old burned-out site, open to the sky, with reindeer lichen and some pitch pines. While I was there, cut some feathersticks. Definitely coming back here.

IMG_5546.JPG IMG_5560.JPG IMG_5545.JPG IMG_5554.JPG IMG_5559.JPG IMG_5555.JPG IMG_5549.JPG IMG_5548.JPG

14. RILockGuy

RILockGuy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sunday, August 5 - 2018

Went out again this morning. Again, the huckleberries and blueberries were all over. This time, I even brought some home to share. My wife, who never goes in the woods, didn't believe me that they were all over this time of year and free for the taking. Also, found the biggest blackberries I think that I have ever seen. Each one was as big as my thumb from the first knuckle up to the nail. I tried to see how the polypore fungus and the punk wood would do as tinder, and it didn't work out so well. The polypore didn't even light to a flame with a lighter held under it, and the punk wood only smoldered. I think that, except for necessary lessons, I will stick to fluffed jute and birch bark for tinder. Works every time, for me. Hit the view from Rattlesnake Ledge, one of the few nice views in a low and flat state like RI. Also, about fifty anthills along a trail, each about 1-1/2' tall and 18" in diameter. They were here last year as well. This is the only place in all of RI that I have seen this. Apparently, they are a type of wood ant, or mound ant. Half red and half black. This guy - http://www.strange-new-england.com/2015/10/22/empire-of-ants/ - says that they are Allegheny Mound Ants, but they may be a different species.

IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5576.JPG IMG_5577.JPG IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5582.JPG IMG_5585.JPG IMG_5579.JPG

15. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing # 3
    Scouting out another state forest to bushcraft in. My old spot was flooded with summer people. It's 1500 acre's. hopefully i can have some peace and quiet here. I stood at the entrance to the state park and it was dead silent. No one but me all day.. on the weekend :)

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/got-caught-in-the-rain-while-scouting-for-a-campsite.229214/

Nice pond for fishing
    [​IMG]
    The camp is 2 miles down the trail.
    [​IMG]
    Practicing feather sticks
    [​IMG]
    Went to grab some basswood inner bark that was conveniently hanging from a dead tree.. got a bit of a surprise :p
    [​IMG]
    Fresh water
    [​IMG]
    Cooking bannock for lunch.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  16. wrath0r

wrath0r Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing #1

I am not big on documenting my trips as I'm doing them. It takes away a lot of the enjoyment for me. I will try to include at least one picture for each of my outings, though.

I spent a day up in Vermont with a good friend of mine. We started with lunch over a fire, which he lit using a ferro rod I gave him and showed him how to use. He has been very interested in mushrooms recently, so we decided to go mushroom hunting and explore the area. We found several mushrooms that he identified as chanterelles, oyster mushrooms, boletes, and fly agaric. While we were exploring a clear cut area he found some chaga on a downed tree and showed me how to identify it. After that we found and harvested several pieces that he's going to use for tinctures. I also found a green frog. That's both a description and the actual name of the animal.

[​IMG]

This trip also gave me a chance to try out the mount I devised for my rotopax water can. It worked out very well, but the spigot I had leaked so I had to abort. I'll try again with a new gasket.