(B) 5 Outings for Bushclassusa

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by IA Woodsman, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Joe to the woods

Joe to the woods Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Outing #4
    Went for a day hike then made a small twig fire to makes some hot apple cider... I started the fire right before the sun went down... I would have set up my tarp in the woods but the bugs were bad... Aside from the bugs it was a fun time... I also saw a few trees I want to do some research on... I think one was some kind of weird crab apple tree but I don't think I ever saw that kind before... And now I carry a 3ft length of para cord as part of my edc system to practice knots... The pics are a little out of order... 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

agranite and Forestree like this.
  2. Joe to the woods

Joe to the woods Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Outing #5
    Went for a short day hike in search of cedar or birch trees. Didn't find any because they are very rare in my area. Then had a fire and cooked up a little something. outing 51.jpg outing 52.jpg outing 54.jpg outing 54.jpg 43739495_320970195122935_6381028152843436032_n.jpg 43766857_2111545545777001_1236801661846945792_n.jpg outing 62.jpg outing 66.jpg

agranite and Forestree like this.
  3. notoiletpaperinthewoods

notoiletpaperinthewoods MOA #58 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Outing 1:
    Went out this morning in the rain to practice creating feather sticks with a large knife. It was nice out, I haven't been out while it was actively raining in a while.
    VideoCapture_20181015-114441.jpg
    VideoCapture_20181015-114556.jpg

Not Sure and Forestree like this.
  4. notoiletpaperinthewoods

notoiletpaperinthewoods MOA #58 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Outing 2: Got out to the woods and decided to practice using my man-made tender. I got two cotton balls soaked in vaseline out and was able to quickly get them lit using my fire steel. I gathered nothing but twigs and thumb size sticks off the ground and built a stabilized fire.
    VideoCapture_20181015-143103.jpg VideoCapture_20181015-143152.jpg VideoCapture_20181015-143229.jpg

Not Sure, agranite and Forestree like this.
  5. notoiletpaperinthewoods

Blog Posts:
    Outing 3: Today I went out for a day hike to practice setting up my tarp. In doing so, I also practiced using knots to tie everything down. Also got to follow some deer around:
    VideoCapture_20181016-132032.jpg VideoCapture_20181016-132058.jpg VideoCapture_20181016-131923.jpg

Not Sure and Forestree like this.
  6. notoiletpaperinthewoods

Blog Posts:
    Outing 4: Today I went out and practiced making a pot hanger again. I've been practicing my skills for about six years and it's funny that I have completely neglected improvising pot hangers. I'm really enjoying crafting them in the field, so that's a big thank you to Bushclass right there. I also sharpened my knife while I was in the woods.
    VideoCapture_20181017-134623.jpg VideoCapture_20181017-134826.jpg 20181017_123150.jpg VideoCapture_20181017-135104.jpg

7. Razorray40k

Razorray40k Tracker

Blog Posts:

I know that this post is years old, however I am researching for my outings. Your post is quite the example of showing the skills we have learned so far on your outings. You have set the bar for me. Well done sir! AND... Are you gonna camp next to an alligator pond?! I guess you are safe enough in your hammock? We don’t have much that’s gonna eat us in Missouri other than Mountain lions and bears, and even they are hard to find.
    Hit me up if you are still active.

8. notoiletpaperinthewoods

Blog Posts:
    Outing 5 (overnighter): Spent my overnighter at the Lake Houston Wilderness Park. All the lessons taught in Bushclass Basic really came together fot this outing. I used knot tying, shelter building, firecraft, and cooking to accomplish this trip. Thank you Bushclass, I am excited to continue onto the next part!
    VideoCapture_20181024-192540.jpg VideoCapture_20181024-193109.jpg 20181024_163541.jpg 20181024_190652.jpg

Not Sure, agranite and Forestree like this.
  9. Caveman Cracker

Caveman Cracker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello all, here's my first outting:...a little tracking...

Found some evidence of squirrels feasting..

And found a nice rubbing on a red cedar...

Very short outting, but still great to get woods time in, even if it's on a lunch break.
    IMG_20180924_160544532.jpg IMG_20180924_145024260.jpg

CO Tree Hugger and Forestree like this.
  10. wrath0r

wrath0r Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing #4

Today I took a walk around the pond where I fish to play around with a new field guide I got (more on that in a moment), see how the ice was progressing, and see how the late season storms treated the area.

[​IMG]

There were quite a few downed trees and limbs, but I only found one that looks like it was alive when it came down. It was really nice to get outside again. I also found a good spot where I can redo my tarp shelter lesson. For that lesson I kind of made an emergency last minute oh-no-get-out-of-the-rain! shelter and I'd like to do something with a ridge line and all. It'll just make me feel better about the submission.

On to the field guide. I picked up a guide called Bark: A Field Guide to Trees of the Northeast by Michael Wojtech. http://www.knowyourtrees.com/bark-book/

A big part of the premise of this book is that the typical identifiers of trees in this area, like leaves and buds, are not visible most of the year. Also, twig patterns tend to be tougher to see due to height. But bark? That's eye level. The challenge is that it varies throughout a tree's lifetime. When I found this book on Amazon it really appealed to me for whatever reason and, a year later, I bought it. As ever, I'm pretty bad about taking pictures in the moment and can only describe the fun I had. The best part for me was identifying a young silver maple. Young silver maples have such different bark from mature ones that it looks like a totally different tree to me. Without the leaves, I really wasn't sure what I was looking at until I took out the guide book and went through the steps in the key. So that was fun.

11. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing#1
    My camera is giving me problems and some of my pictures are not recording,so this will be two field trips made into one trip.
    I was out looking for some Sage to make a bow-drill kit.
    Lots to pick from.

IMG_4948.JPG

Sagebrush/Artemisia Tridentatat
    Very common here in Central Wa.

IMG_4947.JPG

Today's haul.
    Sagebrush bark, excellent tinder. Spindle and Fireboards.
    I also grabbed some leaves to toss on the fire, Incense of the Ancients.

IMG_4952.JPG
    Part 2 of trip 1.
    @IA Woodsman made a really good video of a wet twig bundle fire and I wanted to try it.
    Link to video

So here is my fire in pictures.
    Wet snowy Twigs.

IMG_4958.JPG
    Base of operations.

IMG_4954.JPG

Prepping.
    IMG_4959.JPG IMG_4961.JPG

And we have fire........

IMG_4962.JPG

This was a valuable lesson for me, in days past I would have wasted time making and splitting out feather sticks.
    The may still be needed, but they can be made while the fire is building...........
    Hats off to all the work that went into the Bush-class.......
    That is all...........Carry on.

12. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Mora Tribe #100 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  13. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Outing # 3: Dog Sledding on Fish Lake, Yukon

Time in the great outdoors was needed and so I packed up 8 of our sled dogs and went to Fish Lake, one of my favorite areas near Whitehorse. The north end had an ok amount of snow on the lake ice, and so I went happily along the east shore.

My plan was to do some icefishing and try a few new spots...however, that didn't go so well.

After only about 2 miles down the lake the snow got thinner and thinner and eventually disappeared almost entirely and we were just scooting around on glare ice.

With no snow cover it was beautiful to see the cracks and air bubbles in the ice...and just darknesss underneath. Due to temperature changes, which cause expansion and contraction in the ice, there was a constant cracking and snapping sound in the lake ice. Some of the dogs got a little spooked, but we managed.

My biggest issue with the glare ice was the fact, that you basically cannot stop! I tried many times, but there was no way to set the snow hook...and I had forgotten my axe in the truck...and so the dogs kept pulling. With an axe I could have chopped a little ice away to create a hole for hooking down...lesson learned: Don't go on the lake without axe! Well, actually don't go anywhere without your axe...hey, I already knew that!

Since I couldn't stop the dog team, I just kept running them zig zag across the lake and around and back etc. and enjoyed the scenery, instead of fishing.

What a great day!

DSC02707.JPG

DSC02711.JPG

DSC02713.JPG

DSC02720.JPG

DSC02724.JPG

14. Grainwater

Grainwater Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Basic Outing #4
    upload_2019-1-9_18-22-40.png

15. Grainwater

Grainwater Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Basic Outing #2
    upload_2019-1-9_18-30-2.png

16. Grainwater

Grainwater Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Details about the Try Stick
    upload_2019-1-9_18-45-32.png

17. Grainwater

Grainwater Tracker

Blog Posts:
  18. Grainwater

Grainwater Tracker

Blog Posts:
  19. baglock1

baglock1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing #1
    I finished up my last Basic lesson this morning and immediately went out for a walk in the desert. The kids, after helping me set the tarp up, decided they wanted to come with me.

While out there, I ID'ed some of the common desert plants as well as Mormon Tea (Ephedra nevadensis). I went ahead and cut some off for use in tea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It just so happens, I brought a tin can with me for tea. Gee, maybe I planned that...?
    [​IMG]

Mormon tea in the can...
    [​IMG]

Shaved some mesquite for the fire and used a baddest bee fire fuse to get it lit with my fire steel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tea heating up...
    [​IMG]

And cooling off...
    [​IMG]

Steeped and ready to try. Honestly, it's not bad but it's a bit bland.
    [​IMG]

Additionally, I had intended on cooking some lunch over the fire but the kids were getting antsy so I decided not to push my luck with their patience.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  20. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
  21. CountryRoots

CountryRoots Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm... no point in going out in the woods till I get the lessons finished up then... just kidding. I don’t go just to get magic bushcraft forum points!

At least now I have a place picked out for the tarp tent setup!
    82CA6847-E28E-4C02-B141-3848157A26DA.jpeg

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  22. baglock1

Blog Posts:
    Outing #2: The Overnighter

This turned into a comedy of errors that I should have just walked away from before I even started. Okay, it wasn't *that* bad but it felt more like work than fun. I suspect a lot of that had to do with getting out of work late so I got started late. Plus, it had been a really long week so my mind was still on work and I never really got the chance to relax and enjoy. Oh well...

I went ahead and drove up to the Gila Mountains in Western New Mexico for this one. It's still pretty cold up there but I didn't expect it to get real cold. I was expecting lows in the high 20s. It actually dropped down to the high teens and I was pretty cold. I wasn't in danger, but I wasn't comfortable either. In retrospect, I should have made my fire close to the shelter but was using an existing fire ring and was stuck with the trees being ~20' away.

Additionally, because I got a late start, it was fully dark by the time I got into the area I planned to camp in. As a result, I didn't get pictures of me setting the tarp up or getting my fire built and dinner prepared. I did make another fire in the morning just for picture proof of a fire being made. So with all that said, on to the pictures!

Here was home for the night. There was no wind and no rain or snow to speak of so I really didn't need the tarp but I went ahead and set it up anyways. It is a 10x12 BCO silnyl tarp in coyote. Bedding consisted of my 20* Kelty bag and Big Agnes pad. Due to the weather, I was bundled up in my poly-pros (thermal underwear) and my normal clothes as well.
    [​IMG]

I used figure 8 knots for the loops I made prusiks out of.
    [​IMG]

I used the ridgeline I made from the elective lesson and prusiks for the top. I used a small section of wood for the toggles.
    [​IMG]

For the tie-outs, I used a combination of the basic lesson knots, including half hitches and taut lines.
    [​IMG]

Also, I had some short pieces of paracord that I used sheetbends to connect and make longer (sorry for focus on this one).
    [​IMG]

I found a stump with some fatwood in it about 40' from camp. I used it to get the fire started the previous night. I used some more for building a fire the next day to demonstrate my technique.
    [​IMG]

23. baglock1

Blog Posts:
    Part 2...

Here's my fire lay. Since I didn't plan on keeping this fire going, I set it on ice to keep from igniting any ground cover and ease in putting it out afterwards. With that in mind, I didn't use a platform (I did use one the previous night). I did throw down a bunch of oak leaves to keep the wood dry for a little longer. I used fatwood feathers and some dried out seed pods for tinder.
    [​IMG]

The fatwood actually took a spark from the ferro rod before the tinder did. This stuff went up FAST. So fast, I wasn't expecting it and had to scramble to get my fuel wood on.
    [​IMG]

Here's the fire chugging along.
    [​IMG]

And the demo fire in the background of the still smoldering fire from the previous night.
    [​IMG]

And a little plant ID...
    Ponderosa pine (Pinus Ponderosa)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an oak, common oak I believe (Quercus Robur).
    [​IMG]

This was under the same tree.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, we've always called this Lamb's Ear (Stachys Byzantina) but some of the pictures I found online don't seem to match this specific succulent. If someone believes this isn't the same, please let me know. On an aside, I've heard it makes great bushcraft toilet paper but have never run out of toilet paper in the woods and been desperate enough to actually try it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm horrible at documenting my outings, but here goes Outing two. Met up with some of the Texas guys at Davy Crockett NF over the weekend. Friday I set up my Whelen and a stretcher bed with browse and ground cloth underneath, Tarp, knots, and camp setup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As the evening temperatures dropped into the low 30's, I decided to have a fire outside the Whelen. I rigged up an old feed bag I carried as an extra log carrier, mud barrier, etc, into a fire reflector. Lit with PJCB and fatwood, it was a nice warming fire that raised the temperature up nicely for a few hours and allowed me to warm up and sleep decently.

[​IMG]

And survived the sleet and rain. Woke up with these weird solid drips we hardy ever get to see out here:

[​IMG]

We had arranged for a foraging class, so after a nice breakfast we ventured out into the trail system around us looking for different edible plants. We walked for a mile or so looking at all kinds of stuff like dandelions, mullein, mushrooms, green briar, river cane, etc. Plant and Tree ID. The majority of the group decided to reverse direction and look there, but I wanted to hike the 2ish miles back to camp. A decent walk in the somewhat moist piney woods. A fairly quick firewood party was requested, and we were able to gather up enough ash to last the evening. We huddled around and stocked wood most of the evening, knowing that tomorrow it would be a little warmer. Another quick fire was in order, but I fell asleep before it really took hold and warmed up the Whelen.

Today was much warmer, and I was able to shed a few layers after breakfast and socializing. Packed up and I was home by 1. A very nice time, Thanks guys!

25. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Outing #1:
    Little hike to check on my camp after a storm, and a bit of foraging.

Outing #2:
    Took the wife and the dog to check out a potential campout spot. The owners of this property said I could camp wherever I want, with two rules: 1: they don't want to be able to see the camp from their house (which is fine by me, I don't want to see their house from my camp! :4:) And #2: NO. FIRES. Which is a disappointment, but I understand because this area is full of long grass and overdue for a fire. So I'll cook over a camp stove.

The pond is really high. Hopefully the fishing is still good.
    IMG_4247.JPG

Looking at a potential spot
    IMG_6833.JPG

Another angle. I think I'll set my tarp up on that boulder or just below it. Forgot to take a picture, but there's no dead limbs or widowmakers in the trees.
    IMG_4253.JPG

Making sure I can't see their house
    IMG_4257.JPG

Looking toward the pond from the campsite
    IMG_4255.JPG

scoping out another potential spot. This is the rock pile you can see in the center right of the last picture. I doubt it'll be safe in the summer, I bet that pile is a haven for rattlesnakes. But, if I keep the tarp low enough, the owners won't have to see it.
    IMG_4259.JPG

Closer up on the pond. That line of burdock is on the top edge of the bank.
    IMG_4262.JPG

Sprocket running around where the pond flooded...watch out for the bank, Bubba!
    IMG_6847.JPG

And finding the bank...

Walking across the horse pastures back to the house
    IMG_6852.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  26. NT PostOak

NT PostOak Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    REPOSTING FROM OUTINGS THREAD: I got out today... breezy, misty on and off, temps just above freezing. Sounds like a nasty day, but I had a couple hours free and wanted to get out for a bit. This trip was to an area near Lake Ray Roberts, north of Dallas. Setting is a typical north Texas prairie / Post Oak forest.

[​IMG][​IMG]

On arrival, just hitting the trail, and who do I encounter?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hiked in about 3/4 of a mile and set up a shelter to block the wind, using my ridgeline and a toggle to anchor the tarp to the tree.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fired up the alcohol burner inside a solo stove and got the coffee going. Lesson learned... this little burner wasn't producing enough heat on a cold day. I wasn't able to achieve a boil in the zebra pot, but the coffee came out OK in spite of it.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    After lunch and coffee it was starting to get dark, so I headed back in. It was a quiet day for the smaller birds, but on the way back to the car I did see a group of cormorants headed somewhere, followed by a great blue heron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather was pretty nasty, but the sights and activities made the day. Looking forward to getting out next time to keep working the skills.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  27. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Scout

Blog Posts:
  28. Black Bison Outdoors

Black Bison Outdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On this outing, I decided to mess around with a bow drill set. I wasn't successful this time but I will keep working on it. I started by taking some bankline and reverse wrapping it so it would be a better string for my bow and this seemed to work pretty well.
    bushclass.JPG
    bushclass (2).JPG
    bushclass (3).JPG
    I also had to use some tree identification to find out which trees would work for my bow drill. I saw a video where a guy uses these species and that's why I chose them specifically.
    bushclass (5).JPG
    I also made sure to get a good bit of wood ready for a fire that I eventually decided to make with a ferro rod but I didn't get any pictures of that.
    bushclass (6).JPG
    I completed this short outing with a nice cup of hot chocolate and the enjoyment of being out in the woods enjoying nature.

29. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Outing #4:

Now just the overnight!

30. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been neglecting my Bushclass outings for a while, even though they're all I need to finish BC1 and I'm in the woods every week. Time fix it.

Headed up my hill today in search of the components of a successful fire.

20190308_092934_HDR.jpg
    This cedar bark will be good tender. I scraped it off with the back of my US made Camillus Bushcrafter. This one belonged to the famed @FIELDCRAFTLTC at one point.

20190308_093711.jpg
    Beginnings of a decent bird nest:
    20190308_093852_HDR.jpg
    Need some bark to make a dry platform for my fire to keep it out of the snow:

20190308_094110_HDR.jpg
    Looks like my boy and I aren't the only adventurers out today:

20190308_094736_HDR.jpg
    Got a nice one stick fire going from a pine branch.

20190308_102241_HDR.jpg
    This is the first time I've used my GSI Ketalist, got it last week for $16 on clearance at Bass Pro. Also, that darned @Broke shows up just about everywhere I go:

20190308_102500_HDR.jpg
    Waters on!

20190308_102907.jpg
    Made a little hot chocolate:

20190308_103826_HDR.jpg
    Looks like it's good. We use these car windshield shades as waterproof seats a lot. They're cheap after summer, light and waterproof.
    20190308_103838_HDR.jpg

Thanks for coming along!

beestokk and Young Blacksmith like this.
  31. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing #1

Went with a buddy to scout out a location for the overnighter. Also looking to see what game animals are in the area. Used the tree knowledge to make a hardwood fire and cook lunch. I had some oil soaked cotton balls with me but didn't use them as I was able to strike natural tinder to get the fire going.

Thank you for looking,

Coyote 2019-03-08-20-55-46.jpg 2019-03-08-20-54-39.jpg 2019-03-08-18-21-15.jpg 2019-03-08-20-54-27.jpg

VikingWilderness and Kennebago like this.
  32. 138zacvining

138zacvining Feral bearded man Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
  33. woods warden

woods warden Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is my first outting. Working on identifying plants and hiking after the snow has turned the ground into pudding. The dogs had a close encounter with a skunk but no one was sprayed, so good ending. Great day out. IMG_20190311_141740378.jpg IMG_20190311_151533989_HDR.jpg IMG_20190311_143228952_HDR.jpg

34. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Snow Hike and Snow melt in my PSK Tin.
    DSCF4047.JPG
    Kicked hole in the snow for the fire braces.
    DSCF4054.JPG
    Twig Bundle to start on tea candle.
    DSCF4055.JPG DSCF4056.JPG

Packed ti with snow and started warming.

DSCF4059.JPG
    The Boil.
    DSCF4063.JPG
    Cooling off till warm.

DSCF4069.JPG

Things learned here and used, Twig Bundle, PSK, Brace for fire lay, Stay Hydrated.

EDIT to Add: I used a tea candle to light this, my first time using one.
    Really small flame, will stick to PJCB's in the future, good to finally know.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 11:21 PM
  35. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outing #2:

Don't know if this is going to count and would be happy to do another if needed but took my 1.5 year old on a little trip out to hike/bushcraft. Used my tree knowledge to harvest some leaves of the California Bay tree to make a tea later. Also had my kit on me including the paracord bracelet I made for the bush class. Nice morning out to do some bushcrafting.
    2019-03-17-10-39-30.jpg 2019-03-17-10-40-13.jpg 2019-03-17-10-39-45.jpg 2019-03-17-10-39-36.jpg

Revinmama likes this.
  36. woods warden

woods warden Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is my second outing. Camera battery died and I only have a few pics. It was camping with Murphy's law weekend. Even though many things went wrong I was still out and had a great time.

outting 1.png outing 2.png outing 3.png
    I blogged a bit about my failures on this trip if your interested.