(B) Student Practice for Improvised Metal Cooking Impliment

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by IA Woodsman, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Sorry says video unavailable. No credit

central joe likes this.
  2. Todd Allen

Todd Allen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lets try this again, LOL

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  3. WolfmanZeke

WolfmanZeke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Coffee can oven

So I'm not as handy with metal as most of you are. I’m also a simple guy. I knew I wouldn't have the materials to make anything elaborate like a full fledged reflector oven, and I wanted to make something I could make pretty much anywhere.

So here's my creation. A coffee can oven.

Super simple to make all you need is one large coffee can and one smaller coffee can

[​IMG]

All I did was cut a hole in the larger one to let heat in and cut the smaller one down so that it would stand about halfway up in the bigger can

[​IMG]

Put what you're cooking on top of the smaller can and then cover it with the bigger can.

This creates a small oven. Can't cook a lot, but it works fine for small meals. Additionally I could use the cans as cooking surfaces separately. I have some tweaking to do, but it's simple, effective, and flexible.

[​IMG]

Chocolate and sugar brownie/muffin(?)I made in my coffee can oven.

It was good,but could have used more sugar.

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  4. wrath0r

wrath0r Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I finally had an idea!

You know what I really like? Tin foil. It can keep our food warm, it can polish metal, and, in a pinch, it can be used as a fashionable hat. I was thinking to myself how a wad of it, folded up, may well have a place in a PSK. Polish it up and you've got a signal mirror and might even be able to use it to get a fire going.

But this is a lesson about cooking, and I kept coming back to one thing: boiling water. So I wanted to see if I could make a container for water out of tin foil that could be boiled. For this experiment I used my messy kitchen stove because it's about the foil, and because it was a bit of an experiment so I wanted a controlled environment.

Overall I'd say it was flimsy but useable in an emergency. Definitely not something I would voluntarily go for. The moisture found its way through some of the folds in the foil and would quickly turn to steam, so parts of the container would inflate and then deflate as the pressure found its way out. This definitely didn't feel like the safest thing I've ever done, though I have done far worse.

Anyway, behold the boiling water.

[​IMG]

central joe and Sgt. Mac like this.
  5. 138zacvining

138zacvining Feral bearded man Hobbyist Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Today I made a fork from some very thick mild steel scrap wire . Once I was finished forging the ends and twisting the handle . I then brushed the fork handle with a brass brush while it was heated to transfer some of the brass to it . IMG_8597.JPG IMG_8599.JPG IMG_8601.JPG

6. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:

Very nice. Good job

138zacvining likes this.
  7. Micah

Micah Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Simple. Effective. Didnt have many materials around the house anyways, and didnt feel like spending money. So here it is....
    20171028_124936.jpg 20171028_123024.jpg 20171028_123208.jpg Screenshot_20171028-132944.png
    Mmmm coffee

Attached Files:

8. Timo.mac1

Timo.mac1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Rocket stove for me.
    20171110_072909.jpg 20171110_083444.jpg 20171110_084750.jpg 20171110_090934.jpg 20171110_090925.jpg

9. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I re-kindled the brush fire I had last night with some dry limbs I had laying around. During my second cup of coffee I decided I wanted boiled eggs for breakfast, but didn't want to pull out the camping pots. I punched two holes and some bailing wire for a bail, started boiling water, and went to raid the chicken coop for eggs. My wife put in an order as well, so I had to do two rounds.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

About halfway through, the can fell over, dumping the eggs. I fished them out of the ashes, and got a tri-pod quickly up with some hanging chain for the improvised pot.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Made up some egg handling tongs to get them in some cool water. Used an old coffee can for the cool water, the lid made a great plate as well. Bonus - The resulting eggs were great!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sgt. Mac and central joe like this.
  10. Makarios

Makarios Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I made a stove from a can of cat food. I got the instructions from The Soda Can Stove website, if anyone's interested.

Cat Food Can Stove.JPG

11. johnspenn

johnspenn Scout

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

DrHuman, Sgt. Mac and central joe like this.
  12. Benjamin Shoemaker

Benjamin Shoemaker Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20171120_173523.jpg IMG_20171120_173746.jpg IMG_20171120_173811.jpg IMG_20171120_173855.jpg IMG_20171120_174043.jpg IMG_20171120_181036.jpg IMG_20171120_181116.jpg IMG_20171120_181325.jpg It took a little bit to get it primed but it works. It can also double as a char tin as well. Easy fill

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  13. Black Bison Outdoors

Black Bison Outdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    GOPR0981.JPG

I built a wood gasification stove and pot stand . It took a couple of tries to get it right but I'm very happy with the results!

14. Sabb0007

Sabb0007 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just used an old cleaned out paint bucket with a wire handle. Boiled some water in it.

Attached Files:

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  15. Daughterjudy84

Daughterjudy84 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Here is my improvised metal cooking implement. I used some chicken wire mesh as the base and a paint can with some water in it. I got the water to boil. Not sure if that shows up.well on the photo.

Attached Files:

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  16. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Yum. Bacon. I made a cooking surface out of tin foil. Could also be used to boil water if made with higher walls, make oatmeal, or almost anything else.

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  17. ramius

ramius Crafty McBushface Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here's my improvised cooking implement. It's a can to which I attached a bail made from a wire coat hanger. My wife saved me a couple of cans and so, with the help of a drill, some wire cutters and some pliers, I came up with this:
    [​IMG]

It actually worked really well! Here's a closeup in the fire:
    [​IMG]

It worked great and boiled water. Can't ask for much more than that!
    [​IMG]

Sgt. Mac likes this.
  18. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0896.PNG Fish mouth spreader as a bushpot handle

DrHuman, bEaMann and Sgt. Mac like this.
  19. theNATIVEONE8

theNATIVEONE8 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2837.JPG Here's my metal cooking implement. It's a DIY bushbuddy stove. It's made from a clean unused 1 qt paint can, available at any paint place. A progresso soup can, and a tuna can for the pot holder. I found the idea on YouTube. Works well. I made 2 of them.

IMG_3008.JPG IMG_3009.JPG IMG_3010.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Sgt. Mac likes this.
  20. GPSJay

GPSJay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got a side-cutting can opener, a large can of peaches, and made a lid for my Walmart knock-off Glacier cup. The bail was made from a piece of coat-hanger that I cut. I sanded, then burned the inside of the lid to get rid of the coating. I got a Trangia for Christmas, so I also made a windscreen based on an idea I saw on Youtube. Despite hours of watching videos, I still used the wrong fuel initially (91% Isopropyl instead of Heet). The burner kept going out due to the bad fuel and the fact that it was sitting on my ice-cold metal patio table in 22 degree F weather. I also accidentally left the lighter out there in the dark and cold...with predictable effect. Eventually, I got the right fuel, a warm lighter, put the Trangia on a cork planter pad, and boiled a cup of water for tea in about 7 1/2 minutes with the lid on. Lots of lessons learned in this one, especially about how to treat all those little metal cuts....

Cup of Water heading up with Windscreen and Lid 12-28-2017.jpg Water Boiling 2 12-28-2017.jpg Tea Steeping 12-28-2017.jpg

21. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is something I've been want to try, and have not seen before -- which is not to say that others haven't done it. I chose not to see if others have given it a go, so that I could proceed in this grand experiment with ... um ... child-like wonderment and a tabula rasa.

My objectives were four-fold:
    1. Practice with an improvised metal cooking implement.
    2. Cook bannock over a fire
    3. Pasteurize water
    4. Test drive my Sunflair Water Pasteurization Indicator (WAPI)
    Borrowing from the idea of a Swedish stove, I:
    • set up four cans in a square,
    • filled each can with water,
    • plopped my WAPI into one can's water,
    • criss-crossed fuel in the center,
    • ignited a conflagration with my trusty ferro rod,
    • and placed my cast iron skillet with a billet of bannock on top.
    DSCN7649.JPG

DSCN7652.JPG

DSCN7653.JPG

DSCN7654.JPG

My fuel was a bit damp, and it was raining, so to save the experiment I fed in fatwood.

(If Bushclass ever has an elective for cooking over a tire fire, I feel I should get credit for that too.)

DSCN7657.JPG

We've now attained maximum black soot generation. And note the coronal mass ejection on the left.

The WAPI worked, as indicated by the wax moving to the bottom. No surprise though -- the water was boiling.

DSCN7659.JPG

Holy moly, it's actually working.

DSCN7661.JPG

And you can see the water boiling in the can.

The bannock turned out perfectly cooked and totally yummy. AND I have pasteurized water!

DSCN7663.JPG

Conclusion:

While this setup will certainly not be my go-to fire configuration, it was fun and interesting to try a new idea. It is simple, stable, and takes care of both cooking and water pasteurizing. I suspect it would work much better with higher quality, or at least drier, fuel. I also suspect it would work better with the cans separated a bit more.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  22. Beaker

Beaker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not very original here, but here is my submission for Improvised Metal Cooking Implement. I made an alcohol stove our of a beer can. This is new to me, and I've always wanted to try my hand at one, so here it is.

Cut the top off with a can opener.
    IMG_3749.JPG

Filed the sharp edges down.
    IMG_3750.JPG

Cut the can into two pieces.
    IMG_3751.JPG

Crimped the top section so that it will fit into the bottom.
    IMG_3752.JPG

Used an awl to put some burner holes around the top.
    IMG_3754.JPG

Here it is lit with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
    IMG_0062.jpg

Pot on the stove and boiling up some water.
    IMG_0063.jpg

A gourmet dish of Ramen Noodles for breakfast! I'm no culinary expert by any means. The fact that I didn't burn these is a testament to sheer will:)) Working on it!
    IMG_0065.jpg

Attached Files:

central joe, bEaMann and Sgt. Mac like this.
  23. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like this multi-tasking the same fire. Of course the idea of being in the woods with four empty cans (I suppose three cans would also work) may not be likely but then again could be as there is litter everywhere anymore. The idea that you you could boil your water and cook your food at the same time is great. If isolated from a safe source, you would need a lot more water then food anyway and one could be pine needle tea or anything else in one and have the others for drinking. Thanks for the demo.

central joe and AdirondackBadger like this.
  24. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20180111_135157.jpg 15157096057861005789527.jpg IMG_20180111_170934.jpg IMG_20180111_171424.jpg so.. I started off with a piece of 11ga aluminum pipe 4" i.d. 3" tall. Cut a 1 1/2 hole with hole saw and drilled 1/4 " holes for air flow. Drilled 4 holes opposite from each other and put one single piece of 1/4" round stock that went hole to hole. Then cut 2 two pieces that met the first in the middle. Flipped over and welded all together underneath so it couldn't fall out. With a little modification to my nesting cup it will fit on my cooking kit with no problem! 1515710352226-281854674.jpg

Kreger, central joe and Sgt. Mac like this.
  25. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine took a little work to get lit, but once I did it worked pretty well. Made a small can stove that my cup fits just inside of. When I put the cup on, it nearly kills the flame but focuses the heat right on the cup. Once I figured out that was OK and quit pulling the cup off to stoke the fire it worked great. I think it works similar to how we make char cloth as the flame goes out, but there's just enough air to keep the wood smoldering but not enough for open flames. Next time I use it, I'll build a hot twig fire with some bigger chunks in the bottom and let it get good and hot, and then throw the cup right on top.

I got a solid rolling boil and when I pulled the cup there was still plenty of good heat. The other thing I had to do was set it on my little mess kit pan to keep the snow out of the church key holes on the bottom. Could've just as easily used a rock or wooden platform to set it on. Turned out to be a fun project. Starting to feel a bit like a boy scout again :4:
    [​IMG]
    Using my pie pan to fan the flames. I have a pair of these and love them for oddball cooking in the woods. They are great for bannock or even frying things:
    [​IMG]

Smoking and simmering away:
    [​IMG]

Solid rolling boil:
    [​IMG]

26. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Metal cooking implement

I hope this qualifies as an 'implement'. I bought a lot of camping stuff off ebay and the burner and valve for this stove were included. I didn't have much to go on, but I managed to find a couple of pictures of a complete stove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those pics gave me enough info to design my own legs for the burner. I made a prototype out of coat hanger wire. I wanted my stove to be taller and slightly larger in diameter.

[​IMG]

So, yesterday I started bending some heavy wire and formed the three legs. I also made a 'spider' to stabilize the legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works!

[​IMG]

I had to put up a makeshift wind screen, still need to make a folding windscreen for my kit.

[​IMG]

I found the little coffee pot in some junk that was left here when we moved in.

[​IMG]

Hot water for chocolate! (A good slug of Bailey's makes it better too!)

Three short videos

27. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I just watched The Road, which was the inspiration for this... All of this was found in the woods near my house and brought home. I used the solo stove because my fire pit is buried for the winter.

I used fence posts for the tripod, barbed wire for the lashing and the line to support the pot, and a found pop can as a pot to prove it would boil water. Of course my phone died on me and I didn't get any pictures, but I later used my toaks pot to boil up some water for ramen, I wasn't really wanting to drink that nasty sludge water out of the pop can, but you could in an emergency.

IMG_4137.JPG IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4139.JPG IMG_4143.JPG

28. tramp_trade

tramp_trade Wet Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Here is my completed submission...

Started with a kidney bean can, some brass wire, and a coat hangar. I used pliers, tin snips, and a drill to make it.

What I learned - this can is a bit too small and has a tendency to choke a bit. The next one I build will be from a wider, taller can. It's no Emberlit, but it works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. saveitforsunrise

saveitforsunrise Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thursday 1/2/18
    Hate to bug yah, @Sgt. Mac

Coffee can is my base due to apartment living. Next is an old cut up fish basket, it’s my burning base, then tin foil, a pot, or any other implement can be used, I made a tinfoil “plate” to cook up a piece of ham, would have been more but supper is in the oven...
    A1EE88BF-FAB8-4A2B-A581-20C458FE826B.jpeg
    93897CAD-3841-41FE-8813-C1195C7FF96E.jpeg
    F797A876-FB32-4A24-88D1-28DB5829D999.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  30. bEaMann

bEaMann Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For this project, I fashioned a makeshift cooking grill out of 16 gauge galvanized steel wire. My GSI cup and my Solo Stove Titan are components of my kit that I use often, but they don't work well together because of how far apart the pot holding prongs on the Solo Stove are; the grill functions to provide a more stable cooking surface upon which to set the cup, other narrow-bottomed pot, or possibly food. The wire is fairly soft and malleable, but getting it to bend at even angles and keeping the grill uniform as the wire criss-crossed proved much harder than I thought. The end result is sloppier than I anticipated, but seems to function as intended.
    IMG_3467.JPG IMG_3470.JPG IMG_3472.JPG

31. Deanx

Deanx Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Here's one I made a while ago.

[​IMG]

32. Elliott Sauerwald

Elliott Sauerwald BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Here is my little wood burning stove made from an oatmeal tin. I cut the whole thing up with my Ka-Bar. The last picture shows me boiling cowboy coffee. I had a video but couldn't upload it.

Attached Files:

Sgt. Mac and central joe like this.
  33. cockeyedhunter

cockeyedhunter Guide Lifetime Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Coffee can pot. Sawzall blade forks and knives. Homemade mucket.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

central joe, Red Yeti and Sgt. Mac like this.
  34. BadMoonRising

BadMoonRising Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Built a hobo stove, using a can, my SAK, and knive

IMG_20180217_163858.jpg IMG_20180217_174023.jpg IMG_20180217_175413.jpg

Baked some potatoes and onions,
    Worked great, tasted good

35. debrown1

debrown1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Seems like a lot of guys have this exact same set up, but its a good one. Just a DIY Bush Buddy stove from a quart paint can. That's water boiling for coffee! Bushbuddy.JPG

36. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Taken from "Bushcraft 101, A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival" , and altered to put the Trangia in the sweet spot. A pot stand from a steel can.

IMG_9292.JPG

IMG_9290.JPG

IMG_9289.JPG

37. Rarrapuda

Rarrapuda Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Here is mine. I made a beer can stove from two empty Busch cans. And yes, I drink Busch... love it.

It’s a pretty simple design I found on the Internet, the only tools needed were a razor blade and a push pin. Filled it with yellow heet and watched it go. Here are the pics.

57719208-A847-47ED-9866-80C580673CE6.jpeg 24CD717D-166D-45F8-9A25-2BF757B6B4D0.jpeg C568C0A5-56F2-4AF6-80AE-ED3019016C2C.jpeg EEF49D2D-F678-4E2A-AD30-B298B2512579.jpeg 53E2021D-6570-4869-B541-CD9CDF5DE1CA.jpeg 66BA23A4-2E3F-446A-88BE-FF6B171E8B54.jpeg FF393E67-B49D-415B-93F5-E11947C82B8E.jpeg

38. Kreger

Kreger Guide

Blog Posts:
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    Took a tea tin and added some 24 gauge wire for a bail
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 5.jpg
    Made up some hot cocoa over the fire tonight.

39. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
  40. camp43

camp43 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is a DIY Gassifier wood stove I made out of a 1qt paint can, a 190z Progresso Soup can and an 8oz Dole Pineapple can.

20180304_112039.jpg 20180304_112100.jpg 20180306_213923.jpg 20180306_214842.jpg 20180306_214846.jpg 20180306_220726.jpg 20180306_221712.jpg

41. jerome

jerome Scout

Blog Posts:
  42. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
  43. trapperjess

trapperjess Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I made a frying pan. The pan is stainless steel and handle socket is copper. Maple handle.
    20180408_152840.jpg 20180408_153849.jpg 20180408_155353.jpg 20180408_163535.jpg 20180408_172547.jpg 20180409_115558.jpg

jerome and central joe like this.
  44. YetiJack

YetiJack Scout

Blog Posts:
    I made a hobo stove from a tomatoe can. Made a burner from a tuna can, cardboard and wax.

[​IMG]

Melting the wax.
    [​IMG]

Punched the air holes
    [​IMG]
    Wax in the tuna can
    [​IMG]

Lit the wax and it's ready for cooking
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

central joe likes this.
  45. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I actually came out with a tin can stove for this exercise, and while it held fire OK, I knew I'd never use it again. I decided to put my tent pegs to use instead. I haven't used this before and I'm impressed with how effective it is. I've had a pretty hard time finding a stove that works well for me, but I will be using this setup 'on the reg'. :thumbsup:

These are likely zinc-coated, which makes me worry a little bit regarding fumes. Just not sure it's worth $20 for some titanium ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tea and bannock round out the day

[​IMG]

central joe likes this.
  46. Porkeater

Porkeater Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For this submission, I made a set of fire irons from 5/16 bar stock. I got the idea from Kephart, but added the bolt to join them, as I have seen others in the field. They seem more stable that way.
    20180421_090519.jpg

I also made a pouch out of some scrap duck cloth.
    20180421_094435.jpg
    Here it is in use. I also killed two birds with one stone and made bannock. The only problem was I didn't plan very well on only had a spoon to use to flip it; that's why it didn't hold together very well.
    20180602_172832.jpg 20180602_173825.jpg 20180602_174338.jpg

central joe likes this.
  47. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine was not elaborate, but it accomplished several things I wanted to encorporate. I had just finish the 2 strand twist and ridgeline lessons, and wanted to try twisting some wire for a pot handle. I also just picked up a secondhand camp stove that needed a test drive, and particularly wanted to cook on it with something other than the "standard" pot it came with. As a bonus I got to make a mini pot hanger :)
    IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1762.JPG IMG_1764.JPG

central joe likes this.
  48. Lil Bullits

Lil Bullits Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My Stanley cook pot wouldn't sit on my twig stove.....what to do :33:
    Salvage the grate from a rusted out charcoal chimney! Fits and packs in the pouch perfectly after some modifications.
    20180701_102245.jpg 20180701_101240.jpg

49. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fry it...

Attached Files:

50. RILockGuy

RILockGuy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I really wanted to do something different for this one, but got stymied coming up with a good idea - so I just made a small little solo-stove. It works well, but it takes a little finesse to get going and it seems to die very quickly if not constantly fed. The can inside is pretty small, so I guess that's expected. It will never replace my commercial version, but I will keep this in my emergency bag in my truck.

IMG_5432.JPG

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG (packed and ready to go)

IMG_5437.JPG (the flame at first - smoke is from the birch bark)

IMG_5440.JPG (after a while - gasifying now and burning good)