(B) Student Practice for Tarp Shelter Lesson

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by IA Woodsman, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Josh-Samsquanch

Josh-Samsquanch Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My submission for the tarp shelter:

057D8FBF-3822-4240-A134-A6C979235A1D.jpeg

Utilized a BCO 10 x 7 tarp.
    Lesson learned: I need more stakes...

3. NT PostOak

NT PostOak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I took a couple passes at this today. Lots of good lessons learned. First up, simple pup tent setup, as described in the lesson using the three strand braided ridgeline I made in the braiding lesson.
    Lessons learned:
    • Nylon clothesline is damned stretchy, even more so after braiding. Hard to keep the tension I wanted on it.
    • Pup tent configuration is very good when your tarp doesn't have a center loop for suspension.
    • Loose sandy soil right after a big rain doesn't like to hold average length aluminum stakes under pressure.
    • The ridgeline is heavily bowed, but is tight after significant stretching.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next up, I set up a lean to using a technora ridgeline I made.
    Lessons learned:
    • Technora is GREAT. No stretch, lightweight, grippy in an interesting way
    • Technora is a huge pain in the tail. Tiny, grippy line is a bugger to get tight half hitches out of
    • When you forget to bring smaller diameter line for prusik knots for the ridgeline, paracord is a lousy substitute. Paracord almost works, but slips just a bit under pressure. In keeping with the spirit of the exercise I improvised some additional ties i would have in my bag to the trees to keep the prusiks from sliding.
    IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5085.JPG

4. NT PostOak

NT PostOak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Took a second pass at this today... Wanted to experiment with some different approaches. Focused today on using toggles and getting comfortable with using a trucker's hitch.
    Toggles for the fixed loop end of a ridgeline really are the way to go. The flexibility and freedom it allows you go largely unremarked. Might just be I noticed it more being somewhat new to tarp usage. When I got something wrong or wanted to change the setup quickly the toggle let me just pull a pin and reset a fixed end. Tarp is an aquaquest 10x10.

Plowpoint setup:
    IMG_5153.JPG IMG_5154.JPG

Attached Files:

5. NT PostOak

NT PostOak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Today was knot day... worked with prusik and carabiner setups for attaching to a ridgeline. Tie out toggles attached with tautline and clove hitches. Worked an asymmetrical lean-to close to the ground, with partial front side shelter and a straight up tall lean-to, but using my second ridgline and overhead branch to pull up the center.

IMG_5151.JPG IMG_5150.JPG IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5141.JPG IMG_5145.JPG

6. Joe to the woods

Joe to the woods Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's my entry for the tarp shelter... I use a few different tarps and styles... Is this acceptable? Thanks.

Attached Files:

MrFixIt likes this.
  7. mechgrunt62

mechgrunt62 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Today I practiced with the tarp setup.
    Honestly, this is a skill I need much more practice on (my Kelty tent has seen a lot of use).
    My wife purchased this tarp setup for me so today was a good day to try it out!
    I tried several different pitches, but the simple a-frame and plow style were the two that turned out decent.
    Lesson learned:
    A tarp ain’t a tent. I need more practice!
    48282877-BFC1-4E47-AAA9-45686FDDB7E4.jpeg 84FFA391-7B0D-4170-867D-7566BF6BCD13.jpeg F65F83A1-8BCB-4AF3-8CF2-1882139391C9.jpeg 37EA8D03-AECE-4F11-97AD-E8F5CC06A88C.jpeg

Joe to the woods likes this.
  8. notoiletpaperinthewoods

notoiletpaperinthewoods Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got out today at the nearby state park and setup my tarp for submission for Bushclass. Here it is:
    20180924_125639.jpg

MrFixIt and Joe to the woods like this.
  9. Richard Jones Jr.

Richard Jones Jr. Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is a tarp shelter when i was hammock camping.

IMG_20181006_153210.jpg

10. Razorray40k

Razorray40k Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is my hammock set up for our 3 night Current River float trip. I have now upgraded to an ENO XL that is lighter and easier to pack. We still bring the roofer tarps for “just in case” situations. They are much more durable than the light nylon flys and I don’t mind putting them through some abuse that I would not subject the high end hammock tarp through.

Attached Files: