1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Back at the forge - New Smaller Version of A frame Grill

Discussion in 'Mullins Forge and Metalworks' started by EddieMullins, Sep 9, 2017.

1. EddieMullins

EddieMullins Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    It's cooling off and things have slowed down a little so today I got to do something I have wanted to work on for a while. I make a Viking Style spit and really like it for at home or in camp use, but its simply too heavy to travel with. I wanted to make a smaller A frame "grill" that could actually be taken camping. Today I tried a couple versions and am very pleased with this one, although there is always room for improvements.

This grill uses 24" long x 1/4" support bars to minimize weight and the legs are I believe 3/16 x 1/2 (it was material I had on hand) and also started as 24" long. The total set is pictured with 6 13" grill bars weight ~ 5 lb 4 oz. I will probably add a couple more grill bars for a total of eight, this will increase the weight a little.

I have not made a spit for it as of yet, and not sure if I will, but the grill is very versatile as is. I'm sure I am biased but I really prefer this style of cooking set up that does not have to be driven into the ground, because I can set it up anywhere, even if it's rocky, and I can move it about. It can be set on or off the fire, or moved closer or further away.

I'm still not ready to start taking custom orders just yet, or to fully open the order books, but will probably make a few of these if there is interest. Either way, I'd like to hear your feedback.

The assembled grill - it stands about 21 inches tall. The bottom support bars are ~ 7" above the ground.

small A frame assembled 9-9-17.jpg

I am pretty confident this is more holding capacity than would likely ever be actually used if camping, but wanted to see how it handled a heavy load. The top 1/4" bar swayed slightly, but no problem.

small A frame load test 9-9-17.jpg

Just a couple shots of the rolled eyed and hot punch holes for the support bars. To increase the stability of the legs I peened and widened the material before forming the eye.

small A frame rolled eye 9-9-17.jpg

small A frame hot punched 9-9-17.jpg

and lastly all of the pieces for the grill. They can be easily held in 1 hand, and would fit very nicely in a canvas roll or bag, something I hope to offer one day.

small A frame pieces 9-9-17.jpg

2. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice work E. M. I think the ability to adjust the height of the grill would be handy perhaps. Other than that it's awesome! I'm interested.

central joe likes this.
  3. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. PM on the way.

central joe and SmilinJoe like this.
  4. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    Well the revisions have started already : ) . I had an idea in my mind for small hooks that would allow for easy adjustment, would be secure and not protrude too far for easy packing... so I had to make one. Here it is on a test piece, a little tweaking and I think these will work quite well for those wanting adjustment.

small A frame hook 9-9-17.jpg

5. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Expect to hear from me when I have my fire pit set up next year.

central joe and EddieMullins like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    A very nice piece of kit young fellar, I like it. joe

EddieMullins likes this.
  7. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Nice; I like how you allowed for open space as well as the grill.

EddieMullins likes this.
  8. jerome

jerome Scout

Blog Posts:
    very cool. as a thought.... what about just punching holes in the legs and using something like a pegboard hook?

EddieMullins likes this.
  9. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I have thought about that very thing, but was a little uneasy about having more small parts to keep up with. It would certainly work though. I have also thought about just bending the ends of the support pars so they could be locked into holes is the legs. This would mean the legs would have to be a fixed width apart and I would need to adjust the eyes on the grill bars. Lots of ways to skin this cat though.

jerome likes this.