Back issues

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by MommaJ, Dec 11, 2017.

1. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Had the follow up on the 25th. Yes there is nerve damage but there is still a lot of swelling despite 1 week of 1000mg of naproxen daily and icing 3 times a week. So I get another week of 1000mg naproxen daily, 900mg of gapabentin, and chiropractor 3xs a week until August. At which point we evaluate again. If at that point there is little to no change we adjust the treatment plan.

Also was re evaluated by my chiropractor on Friday and I have more movement in my hips then 8 weeks ago but he is concerned that June graduation and trip to Maine as well as Yellowstone might be more than my back and hips want to tolerate. So I am wearing a hip brace to tighten the hip muscles so they do not spread width wise but basic physical therapy will help build strength and movement in them

Step by step

Jim L. likes this.
  2. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have several discs messed up, shoulder damage, hip pain, and other stuff from an injury. Inversion table was excrucitaingly painful, as are most things where I try to lay on my back. Some meds help me sleep, others theyve tried did virtually nothing helpful. Ive had several dozen shots. They help some. One thing that helps alleviate some of the back pain when it gets more painful than usual is a neck traction device. Someone told me it helped them, so I got one and tried it. It worked for me to a degree.

The one I got is called a Neck Pro cervical traction device. I dont have normal doors to use their door bracket, so put a ring in the ceiling above my main chair to hook it to.

MommaJ likes this.
  3. LMT66

LMT66 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My SI Joints move too much and I also have hip pain. My therapist and MD suggested this. It has really helped me.

MommaJ likes this.
  4. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    @MommaJ hey Momma im a little late to this party but wanted to throw in my two cents...

About 18 years ago my spine was broken... About 15 years ago they figured it out and fused my L1 S5... For me the most fortunate thing that I am well aware of is that time is on my side, as despite my tenure in the bad back world I'm only 33 now.

I went to quite a few doctors and was basically told there's nothing more to be done, just keep taking the Vicodin every day. By the time I took over my own treatments my body would fabricate pain any time I didn't have Vicodin, I lost sight of what the real source was. I highly recommend just finding a workout that works for you, low impact is of course a major thing (for me it was sweating my butt off on a stationary bike) but as I lost weight and gained muscle my pains went away completely and I was certainly able to push my body as much as I wanted, so long as I paid attention to the cues. Funny enough yoga has revealed itself to be the most dangerous to me, since I do push myself when in that workout mentality and I've had to learn to accept that my flexibility can only get so far haha.

Last summer I hurt my knee bad enough that it took about a month or two before things were normal again and during that time I fell off the wagon and then life happened, I haven't worked out once in about a year and I am finally seeing some of those old pains coming back. I just have to stay active and push my body gently or it all reverts.

Hope this helps a bit, after years of doctors causing me to lose hope, it turns out I just needed to take some weight off my spine and add some muscle. I don't think it's that simple for everyone but I thought my story was at least prudent to tell you.

Good luck!

gohammergo and Jim L. like this.
  5. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts: