Backpacking camp shoes/sandals?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by curtiseddie, May 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ChawnC

ChawnC Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Crocs or Mocs. I decided a long time ago I’d rather have a Hugh Glass moment than to ever put on flip flops.

Guttersnipe, BalsamFur and NevadaBlue like this.
  2. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yeah broken toes or toenails really suck when hiking...

Guttersnipe and NevadaBlue like this.
  3. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use the think the same thing, but have found it's more about how you walk than where you walk. We do distance backpacking and despite being a gram-Nazi, I pack along a pair of Xero Shoe sandals that weight 8.7oz as a pair; the lightest I could find. Now, these are minimalist footwear and you need to understand the dynamics and pay more attention to where you walk. I'm convinced heavy hiking boots have made us ignorant to where and how we walk; that creates the fear of using sandals. While I don't like the string-toe version as much as the "across-foot strap" version, for summer they're lighter. After trekking all day and if your feet are wet, these are much appreciated to setup camp and work a little allowing your feet to air out.

I've hiked in jungles, deserts, swamps, and a rainforest with minimalist sandals. I've never had an issue and there's more mental fear of exposed feet than the reality once you overcome that fear. I won't go so far as to go truly barefoot, but even the slimmest of footbeds makes a world of difference.

ROCK6

4. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  5. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one of my old Subaru tires in my garage that I've been saving for making a pair but I haven't got to it yet.

I want to see some of you guys make your own!!!

Guttersnipe likes this.
  6. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i'm a bare foot guy... if anything i've been tempted by the xero shoes just b/c they are so light weight. being bare foot has gotten me a few times but not to bad

Guttersnipe likes this.
  7. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These are my late May thru mid S IMG_5453.JPG ept. woods and water shoes, cheap +- $10.00 Ozark Trail from Walmart and spend at least half their time submerged in lakes, streams and rivers fishing/canoeing/sailing so I need closed toe protection. Only 1 repair in 4 years with Gorilla glue to back heel strap to sole (top shoe pic)) 2 years ago.

8. vincere

vincere Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also wear bedrock sandals. Been wearing these for about 6 months now. Like mentioned above, it takes a bit to get used to how feet should feel, but I love them. I really only hike in these now.

VP

Guttersnipe likes this.
  9. hawkeye1776

hawkeye1776 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I picked up MRSA in Ecuador in 2016 and lost my large left toe as a result of the infection. So flip-flop type sandals won't work for me, but Teva sandals work well , especially when I add some medium weight wool hiking socks (Smartwool, or current favorite Keen Targhee socks). If you need something lighter,try slipper socks- socks with two layers 0f leather moccassin soles. I believe Acorn makes slipper socks.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  10. Imgoingforawalk

Imgoingforawalk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Chacos for most everything. Maybe not for seventy pound packs or trailblazing through manzanita but the custom pairs on their website can be built with vibram hiking boot outer soles and have plenty of support. 50+ Miles of trail hiking and backpacking in the last few months on this pair and haven’t noticed a difference in performance between my heavy leather hiking boots, other than my feet not sweating and stinking up the tent.

Guttersnipe and Glock Holiday like this.
  11. logan-boone

logan-boone Scout

Blog Posts:
    My personal favorite, especially after long hikes or runs is a pair of thick winter socks and Tevas.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  12. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I literally have had nothing on my feet for the past three years except hiking boots and Birkenstocks (except for on Yom Kippur) and have long been a proponent of Birks for camp wear.

But I’ve decided getting leaves and duff in my sandals when sitting cross legged on my z-seat in the woods is getting tiresome.

Regular Crocs are too bulky for me... too bulky in the pack.

But after a lot of Googling and thinking and trying stuff I came across the Crocs Santa Cruz.

https://www.crocs.com/p/mens-santa-...ml?cgid=santa-cruz-collection&cid=261#start=4

Haven’t been able to test them as camp shoes / apres hike shoes yet... that will either be next weekend or the weekend of 11/10.

But:
    1. Very light weight. My size 43 Milano Birks — which I consider a light shoe — are 1lb 4.2 oz on my scale. The size 10 Crocs are 14.4 oz.
    2. They pack down very flat.
    3. Looks like they will dry quickly.
    4. Very comfy. The insoles have this nubby bump pattern that kind of gives you a light tingly foot massage sensation when you walk. Might be delightful after pulling off boots after a day of hard trail hiking.
    They were considerably cheaper at Academy Sports than the $54 list shown... $30 I think.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Guttersnipe likes this.
  13. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use crocs. They are bulky, but I just keep them strapped to the outside of the pack. A new pair of crocs, IMHO, is a great water crossing shoe.

curtiseddie likes this.
  14. Chorazin

Chorazin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Add me to the list of Crocs fans too. I have the Coast version with less holes around the toe, to keep my socks a little drier in camp. Totally worth the weight!

15. John Foskey Jr

John Foskey Jr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_3021.JPG I wear my eastern woodland Mocs or my ligioner Mocs.

Metaldog and NYWanderer like this.
  16. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a set of Body Glove shoes for water crossing and midnight breaks. They slip on with socks and are great around camp. Got them for $9 a pair.
    [​IMG]

NYWanderer and NevadaBlue like this.
  17. Staleym

Staleym Methuselah's Cohort Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    So this was picked up from Shug Emory on Youtube. Take a pair of boot insoles and use Gorilla Tape for straps to the bottom of the insole. Obviously you need more tape or cloth of some type to double over where the adhesive would contact you skin or sock. Perhaps use 2" tape and cut an end section of 1" and fold the tape in half lengthwise. Makes a lightweight slideon for midnight cooling break.

18. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
  19. AdamD1776

AdamD1776 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have a good suggestion for camp shoes that double as shower shoes (call me paranoid, but I refuse to go barefoot in campground showers)?

Flint_2016 likes this.
  20. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I leave a pair of old clogs at my camp.They're comfortable and easy to slip on when I gotta get up to relieve myself in the middle of the night.Lot more comfortable than wearing my boots the whole time.

21. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    Try water shoes.They're used for boating,walking on the beach,and more.

AdamD1776 likes this.
  22. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear Tevos sandals daily in late spring through "it's too cold for 'em" fall. In the kayak I'll wear Body Glove water shoes, and I'll wear those fishing from shore/wading as well. I'll keep an old pair of tennis shoes in the truck "just in case". Around the campsite I wear my Minnetonka double deerskin mocs. These are almost 6 years old, and I wear them around the house all year. In warmer weather I'll wear them in the shop. I bought a second pair 4 years ago for when the first pair wears out. They're still brand new, as I'm heading into summer #6 with the original pair...

23. beestokk

beestokk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Chacos for this guy. Been good to me in all sorts of different scenarios and uses - maybe better options out there for others but for me these have worked and held up great. If I were to try something different I'd probably give Keen a look.

24. leghog

leghog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Go redneck

[​IMG]

beestokk likes this.
  25. Manzi1

Manzi1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had these since last June. Use them for running and hiking. Surprisingly they're not bad on my feet. Great for kickin around as well. Ran 12 Km with them today. Lets your foot spread out and strengthens the tendons / muscles in your feet. Haven't used running shoes since I got these. Bedrock Sandals IMG_20181225_160549281.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Crusher0032 and beestokk like this.
  26. beestokk

beestokk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What are those specifically?

27. Manzi1

Manzi1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Bedrock Sandals

beestokk likes this.
  28. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple pair also. Love wearing them on the river.

29. jordanzwon1

jordanzwon1 Husband, Father, Christ Follower Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Im a crocs fan. Easy to clean, comfortable, and they float.

30. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Keen makes great water and beach shooes. We bought some on sale at REI at least 10 years ago. They are great for camp showers, light hiking, beach/river/lake use. They range from $40-$130. We got ours for $20 on sale. They are very durable and long lasting.

AdamD1776 likes this.
  31. Lonewalker

Lonewalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wear the Off Road Crocs pretty much all the time hiking walking mountains to swamps, I work in them and hunt in them. The first two trips hiking on AT I carried my Teva sandals as spare just in case, crocs proved worthy no more tevas. They are not fir all but perfect for me, years of battles with plantar facitis since change my feet are ugly n rough but strong and functional. Yes , no socks. 20180609_192216.jpg

beestokk and Mojoe like this.
  32. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cheap Walmart boat shoes. Find a lightweight style (nylon mesh upper, rubber sole) and rock them until they fall apart. Last pair was $4 on closeout at end of summer.

33. tleek

tleek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love chacos but they would be heavy to bring on the pack

34. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, the oldest most worn house slippers I have. The Classic House Moc - complete with faux shearling liner, all matted down, with lots of dog hair thrown in. As often as I go in and out of my tent, they are easiest to kick off on the way in.

I hate Crocs and any form of flip flop, the latter because they...um, flip flop. Can't keep them on my feet. Any type of camp chore has them slip off or sliding out from under my heel or just going in a direction I ain't.

These are about ready for the kit.... Behold...
    IMG_1035.JPG

35. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a pair of moose mocs years ago that were great - soft, but thick and tough.

36. Nugz

Nugz Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    So there is a lot to be said for all of the very comfy sandals and moccisans you folks have recomended but personally i carry 2 types of footwear with the type depending upon what im doing.

Canoe trip,
    Crocks for the canoe and short portages and a nice sturdy pair of leather boots for at the camp

Backpacking,
    A good pair of hiking shoes for travel and a nice sturdy pair of leather boots for at the camp.

I believe you see a theme developing here.

I firmly believe you should wear good tough leather boots at camp because firstly your your doing camp chores....gathering wood or stones for a pit or timbers for a shelter ....all of which while not super heavy are collected with metal tools like an axe shovel or saw. Secondly, your working around fire ...i dont think i have to elaborate on that one.

I always keep a clean dry pair of socks with my boots amd after i get where im going i take the time to change into my nice dry camp clothes and that includes socks and boots.

Im a big believer in saftey having seen myself the consequences of triping and steping into the fire or of having a mis-strike with your axe...bye bye toes

Be smart....take care of your feet ....they are totally underrated and if you think about they are the most important piece of gear you will ever own.

beestokk likes this.