Backpacking- Covering Distance

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Medic17, May 15, 2018.

1. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Face it, you will not be covering a bunch of miles with a traditional Bushcraft kit.
    I came across a decent video that breaks the ice for Bushcrafters wanting to transition to distance covering hikers. The person who has the channel presents well and explains her rational for what she does. I liked that she does not say you are wrong if you have opposing views from her. She just gives you something to think about. Her resume is impressive AT, PCT, soon to be CDT.

WARNING- Its going to upset a few gear junkies, and two is one crowd.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    rsnurkle, byksm, Winterhorse and 13 others like this.
  2. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    hahaha, I predict epic butthurt...

3. martin9700

martin9700 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Dixie and Joe are who got me interested in backpacking. Dixie is a thru-hiker all the way, she's used to covering big distances a day for many days. A much different experience then say a backpacker or bushcrafter. Still, I think a lot of the light/ultra-light concepts work well for everything. It's hard to argue that you won't have a better experience with less weight on your back.

4. Pablo

Pablo Guide

Blog Posts:
    I beg to differ... I've covered many, many miles in the mountains and deserts of Utah and Colorado with a traditional bushcraft kit: blanket, poncho, knife, cooking pot, a few other odds and ends. Made up right, a traditional kit is light enough on the back to allow one to eat up the cross-country miles. The philosophy is the same: leave behind what you don't really need. An axe may be considered "essential" for bushcrafting, but I've cooked many meals with twigs. It's easier and less effort than using the axe. Wintertime and some other situation demand an axe, but a lightweight pruning saw is the most I might need for the rest of the time.

"Traditional" bushcraft is about mindset and creativity, not a packload of gear. In that respect, bushcrafters and the ultralightweight crowd are siblings...

colter, rsnurkle, Winterhorse and 9 others like this.
  5. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like her teeth :)

Not Sure, Winterhorse and Medic17 like this.
  6. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dixie's awesome! she's currently doing the CDT right now over 100 miles in so far.

cfree76, Winterhorse and Medic17 like this.
  7. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tell this to the Civil War soldiers.

8. Longbeard

Longbeard Continental Drifter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    I met Dixie on the AT in 2015. Blatant self promotion on Youtube has never impressed me, I guess it's a "skill". But then I don't think Survival Lilly is a survival expert either.

9. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i agree with survival lilly, i used to watch her but just got bored, uninterested, and couldn't hold my attention or keep my engaged in her stuff. for dixie maybe i don't see her self promotion.... i just like her friends video editing and her presentation style along with following her on her hikes. the rest i take with a grain of salt along with 90% of everything else on youtube, take what i want and leave the rest. she can hold my attention which is important for me, one reason why i have stopped following a bunch of people on youtube including a few people from this forum... nothing against them personally if you can't hold my attention i'm not interested.

10. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    Native Americans covering absurd distances and the roman legions lengthy marches come to mind. She brings up some good points though! Great post.

Winterhorse and Medic17 like this.
  11. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Civil War soldiers, Native American migration and Roman Legions are not recreational hikers on the Appalachian Trail.

it's a different deal when you HAVE pack animals, than when you ARE the pack animal...

12. Bitterroot Native

Blog Posts:
    No shit? I didn't see any differences until you succinctly pointed that out.

Was talking about natives of days past running and hiking 100's of miles, not full on migrations.

Winterhorse likes this.
  13. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think Dixie is trying her best to emulate Grandma Gatewood the first female to hke full length of the AT with the very minimum of gear.

Winterhorse likes this.
  14. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is a common misconception is to think of bushcraft, or long distance hiking, as gear centered.

To wit, a full featured semi-temporary hunting camp replete with axes, saws, guns, canvas or natural shelters with wood stoves, and forged cooking tripod can be a setup for bushcrafting... and so can a guy in a loincloth with a SAK, a length of string, and tin can.

Likewise, backpacking can involve carrying everything but the kitchen sink on your back, hiking 5 miles to a campsite for an overnighter... as can a car supported endurance hike/run where you carry nothing but a water bottle on your person while the support vehicle carries your shelter and food.

Finally, long distance hikers can employ the skills of bushcraft, and bushcrafters can go on long hiking expeditions.

Gear intersects with bushcraft, as it does with long distance ultralight backpacking, but gear does not define them.

These are good videos with good food for thought on how to build a kit suitable for making miles, though.

colter, rsnurkle, Winterhorse and 4 others like this.
  15. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm probably more of a Backpacker than bushcrafter if I were judged based off my gear. Modern internal frame pack, down sleeping bag, air mat, and a tent. But I enjoy a mix of things when camping. I've been known to hike in an axe on a weekend trip (all I generally am able to work into my schedule) and cook over a fire. Anyway enough rambling, Dixie I believe was an inexperienced backpacker not a bushcrafter who is working on becoming a triple crowner. Pretty admirable in my mind. I just assume some of these folks make videos to try to generate some funds while out one the trail for 5 months. I certainly couldn't afford to do a through hike at the moment.

Either way there are a good number of experienced backpackers on this site. If anyone needs advise asking around in this sub forum would be a great place to start. I've witnessed a few digital pack shake downs in this sub forum. Plenty of good advice to go around.

Personally I'm putting more focus on backpacking and miles this year than in years past. I've tweaked my gear based on what worked well and what didn't. It's pretty cool in my mind going out in the middle of the wilderness with just a pack and being comfortable while most folks I know practically need a trailer just to go car camping for a night that is if they camp at all. It's definitely not for everyone, and there are a lot of different ways to go about it. Just like anything else you need to find what works for you. But it seems to me that everyone is always looking for ways to ditch weight at that first, second or third false summit ;) and more often than not the best way to do so is to simply do with less.

16. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    nope, no shit... I guess you forgot you were the one who mentioned Roman Legions, huh?

in reply to a post about Civil War soldiers...

but you did throw the Indians in there though so I guess 1 out of 3 ain't bad... :25:

17. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you, bushcrafting and long distance hiking are more styles.

I guess I just wanted to break from how much gear is catered to bushcrafting.
    Much of this forum is focused around gear, it shouldn't be, but it is.
    I think the common acceptance of the $500 knife and the $140 water bottle make a pretty instant generalization.

Sure there are a few great posts on a minimalistic approach to bushcrafting but you will find that 10X over in gear type discussions.
    Again, I am not saying one is right over the other.

I am simply trying to show a different view that I found entertaining and informative.

Just wanted to shake things up a little different from the backyard gear reviews.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  18. Bitterroot Native

Blog Posts:
    What makes you think I forgot about mentioning the Legions? I was correcting your misinterpretation of how I referenced natives.

Roman Legion, Civil War Soldiers, pre columbian natives, all covered insane distances with primitive gear. So it was relevant to the post about Civil War soldiers.

I'm just not as sharp as you city folk I guess! :dblthumb:

backlasher and Winterhorse like this.
  19. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I don't think she's trying to emulate anyone. I looked at her gear list and it's not particularly ultra-light. I would say her load is merely typical of the average thru-hiker in that she's trying to carry the essentials and nothing else besides 1, maybe 2, personal comfort items.

her video is about the stuff "Backpackers Ditch First". it's in reference to what inexperienced people start out with on a trail like the AT or PCT, versus what they get rid of after they've had a few days or miles under their belt. that's all she's trying to convey - trail hiking and what is best for that and she's 100% accurate.

I said above this thread would introduce epic butthurt and I wasn't wrong...

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Winterhorse, Tangotag, Jayson and 2 others like this.
  20. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's because a lot of folks don't pack Preparation H because of the extra weight and space.

colter, Winterhorse, Jayson and 5 others like this.
  21. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    :25:

:4:

22. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    For you foraging types, Which Hazel can take care of that.
    Hydrcortizone helps too.

23. 1Jesster

1Jesster Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just tagging this so I can watch it when I'm not at work.

GoKartz and Winterhorse like this.
  24. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    :35::35::35::35::35::35:

25. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    video 1 critique

too much clothing- I’ve said it dozens of times, easiest and cheapest way to ditch weight, bring less clothing

too much first aid stuff- another place to trim- take a wilderness first aid class- most major medical issues you’re going to have to improvise- knowledge trumps here

Rambo knife- obviously she’s spot on

multi tool- unless you’re skiing or snowshoeing, I don’t see any need for one (I am taking a small one with me on the Bob Open, but am anticipating a lot of snowshoeing)

saw, hatchet, axe- for most backpacking, again pretty obvious not a great need

bear spray- I agree with her assessment, if in grizzly country by all means carry it, black bear country I don’t

camp chair- no (unless you are bringing your wife, then this is a definite yes! :4;)

trowel- she’s spot on again, bring a light one or use a stick

extra light source- if hiking in the day, one headlamp is enough (if hiking a lot during the night I bring two)- I do keep a Photon (and whistle) on a lanyard so I have a small light source in my shelter/around camp

huge pack of batteries- one set of lithium spares should be plenty for most trips

nothing earth shattering in the video, but the advice is sound

26. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps a quick comparison for the sake of getting off the topic of native americans and Roman soldiers.

Backpack: Waxed Canvas frameless or framed pack vs Nylon or Dyneema fabric frameless or framed pack

Sleep system: bed roll with canvas bivy, and wool blanket with leaf litter or similar for insulation underneath vs Bivy, ground sheet, bug net, or inner tent with an insulating mat either foam or inflatable and a quilt or sleeping bag with down or synthetic insulation

Shelter: Canvas tarp or tent vs Nylon, polyester or Dyneema tarp or tent

It's been said before that a lot of old bushcrafters likely would be ultralight backpackers in today's world. I pick modern gear because for me it's all about getting out there and enjoying time spent in nature. Bushcraft is more just a set of skills to ensure that I can do so safely

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  27. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    critique video 2

taking the kitchen sink- sure, that's definitely a beginner's mistake- pare down the items to what you really need

shoes that fit- she has some good advice, most folks buy shoes that are too small, err on the side of a little too big, especially long distance hikes- some folks will mail themselves new shoes further into the hike, a half size larger knowing their feet are going to be more swollen after a couple hundred miles; fully agree that trail runners are what you want for long distance hiking- save the boots for when you need to pack 80 lbs of elk meat out :4:

overly ambitious- I'm sure this happens often, especially if you haven't done a lot of backpacking/hiking- it takes time for the body to "break in", as your body adapts you can start adding miles

too much food- probably more folks bring too much than too little, she doesn't go into much detail, but if you're hiking long distances, this means your on feet for long hours- three squares aren't going to cut it, you need to be taking in calories the entire day- everyone is different, but for me I try and get 100-ish calories/hour and then larger meals at breakfast/lunch/supper

over planning- depends on your goal, but I don't think you can over plan- where are my potential bail points, what if I can't ford this river, are their alternate routes I should consider, where are my resupply points, etc. I think her point was to relax and have fun- I can agree with that, but it's a lot easier to relax if you've done your homework ahead of time

28. t.darrah

t.darrah Guide

Blog Posts:
    Covering distance, don’t get me started!

Winterhorse likes this.
  29. UAHiker

Blog Posts:

your correct when she did the AT she never hiked or backpacked a day in her life, she just got her stuff together and did it. she's in the midst of finishing the triple crown as we speak and i'm sure has learned a lot during her hikes of the AT and PCT. if you've watched any of her PCT video's she clearly made some mistakes and one almost cost her her life but i still respect her for learning, doing it, and if she completes the CDT this year she'll have done the triple crown in 3 yrs.

Winterhorse and MJGEGB like this.
  30. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    i like her!! she does what works for her and tells us about it. that's all.

i would prefer to hike with her than "jack" my usual long distance friend. she looks like fun, but would hike me into the dirt. but so does jack.