Backpacking food. Easy and simple... need ideas

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by C Bryant, Aug 19, 2013.

1. C Bryant

C Bryant Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought this should maybe go in the food forum, but after a quick glance it seems to be a bit more on topic here.

I'm going on a short "backpacking" trip this coming weekend and want to bring something different other than freeze dried backpacking food for every meal ( it's really just camping on an island, but you have to hike you gear in about a mile so it's "backpacking" and being such limits the gear/food you can take).

I have a lot of experience in camp food, where I can bring and store fresh stuff, but as I have only backpacked a couple of times would like some advice on what else to bring. I don't mind the freeze dried meals, but start to get really tired of them after having eaten four or five of them.

So, what do you folks like to eat while backpacking? I'm mostly thinking about meals here, snacks are not really an issue but I would be happy to hear about anything food related.

I should note that for this particular trip fires are not allowed. All cooking will be done by pack stove.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I eat a lot of couscous not the tastiest but does the job and is filling, pair it with some canned chicken beans and lavish bread and you got a full blown meal. Salami hard cheese dried fruit and lavash bread for lunch, and I'm a die hard oatmeal for breakfast kinda guy

C Bryant likes this.
  3. jimmyt

jimmyt Living large! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lipton sides, canned meat, minute rice, dried fruits, instant mashed potatos are all good options.

C Bryant likes this.
  4. lepercan

lepercan Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you have the water. look up freezer bag cooking. Lots of recipes if you can get by the preppie recipies.

James Levite and Line Dawg like this.
  5. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    If it's just an overnight and you're not doing th UL thing, one of my typical food bags has a boiled egg and instant grits for breakfast, cheese and hard bread for lunches, and Uncle Bens microwavable rice (just drop the package in hot water to heat) with chicken in the foil pack for dinner.

6. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    oh yes! I totally forgot about instant mashed potatoes! Excellent thank you. Canned meat mixed with other things does go a long way, I agree with you on that.

Slips: Salami and cheese is pretty much my go to lunch anytime I'm out camping, hiking, backpacking and such. Good call on couscous.

7. TLewallen

TLewallen Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    SavageJak likes this.
  8. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    I was actually about to do the same, thanks for the head-start.

SavageJak likes this.
  9. SouthernJourneyman

SouthernJourneyman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You can also dehydrate things such spaghetti sauce. Bisquick also comes in handy from bannock to pancakes.

10. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking of making bannock and trying to find a premixed pancake recipe that just needs water. Bisquick would totally work. I'm guessing for bannock just add water until it turns into dough and cook?

11. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I've done just that with it on a stick, in a pan, and in a reflector oven.

12. 9dawgs

9dawgs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just discovered the Vigo yellow rice in a double serving packet. You just boil it up and serve. You can mix in just about any type of meat. Squirrel's a good choice if you can hunt while you're there but canned chicken works well too. Makes a good hot meal.

1372 12-8oz vigo yellow rice 071072013724.jpg

13. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    I'm gong to make a test batch of bisquick bannock, though all cooking on this trip has to be done on a pack stove. No fires allowed there.

14. nbr1rodeoclown

nbr1rodeoclown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those noodle and herb sides are money, add some sliced summer sausage, green pepper, and zucchini for the fiber. I throw some currants, millet, and almonds into my oatmeal. If oatmeal seems too bland for you, leave it a little watery and stir in a spoonful of nutela. Fresh stuff that keeps really well: green pep, zucch, avacados (use them like butter), Apples (Gala are the best for not getting smashed), basil leaves. Hard Cheese, potato rolls, and sausage for lunch.

No one should be eating those dehydrated package dinners unless you're summiting a mountain. They each have like 150% of daily salt.

SavageJak likes this.
  15. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i like to shop in the bulk section of the Whole Foods type grocery stores.. there is a lot of food out there that just requires a little water.. Trader Joes has some cool pre-cookes stuff too.. i have also cracked eggs and put them in a water bottle too..

looking forward to hear what you bring, and as always, take pics.. :)

16. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    Which is what I was doing last time I went backpacking, and exactly why I don't want to eat them this time as I really won't be exerting myself at all. Day hikes at best.

17. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    I thought about that with eggs, just was not sure how long they would keep.

We are going to Santa Rosa Island. I'll take lots of pictures like always.

18. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I think it's Barilla that makes the dehydrated tortellini. Can be found in the pasta section of your grocery store. Love that stuff. I'm a big pasta fan to begin with but its like that stuff was made for backpacking. Works great with sauce or even just some olive oil and seasoning.

Also, those vacuum sealed tuna pouches work well and provide protein. Lighter than cans of it. May not be a combo for everyone but I've mixed it with a package of instant mashed spuds and enjoyed it. (I've mixed ramen and all sorts of things with mashed potatoes and enjoyed it).

As others suggested, try a search here to find other threads. It's been discussed at length. You can find all kinds of ideas.

19. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    cool... you can always freeze them too?? as long as you use them fairly quick..

20. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Have you tried making your own dehydrated meals? Just cook whatever you want at home, put it in the dehydrator, and then rehydrate with hot water in the field. You can rehydrate it in your pot or rehydrate it in a freezer bag (they are food safe). Google "freezer bag cooking".

21. 9dawgs

9dawgs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ah yes, then there is the ramen noodles. If you buy the bags instead of the cup-o-noodle type you can pack a lot of it. I like to put in mine things like cubed chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery and onions. I just cube the meat/veggies and boil it int he water to soften it. When the veggies are soft to your liking then you add the noodles and seasoning and you have a great meal. Really makes a fine hearty meal and is easy to pack in and prepare.

You can play with the protein by using what you have on hand be it fresh fish, squirrel, jerky or even a raw egg.

22. quietmike

quietmike Hardwoodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Ova-Easy dehydrated eggs are great, can't tell they aren't real eggs.

C Bryant likes this.
  23. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    the barilla tortellini is fantastic.

James Levite and C Bryant like this.
  24. Squidders

Squidders Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fry sausages at home, cool them, chop them and put them in a zip lock bag.
    When out in the woods, boil up some rice, add the sausage chunks once the rice is done and drained so they warm through, sprinkle on a crushed up oxo beef cube.

It's a great filling meal that only takes the time to boil some rice and a 2 minute wait while the sausages warm up.

25. NJWHN95

NJWHN95 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If your only out for a few days then fresh fruits and veggies are good. For longer lasting things try: parched corn, hardtack, kendal mint bars, dried anything (meats, fruit, veggies, etc.), nuts, peanut butter, bannock, any kind of noodles (mac and cheese, ramen, you name it), and honey.

26. rpb-ozark

rpb-ozark Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I am starting to backpack more than I have in the past and the best recipes that I have found come from the Backpacking chef. http://www.backpackingchef.com/

27. ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I purchased a "cookie cooling rack" for $1.50 from my supermarket and fasten it to the outside of my backpack for overnighters. Typically I bring chicken breast, steak, asparagus, zucchini, squash, etc and grill it up. My friends love camping with me, I'm not sure why.

[​IMG]

The food always keeps fine in my bag, and if you have a stream, you can throw it in there to keep it cool for Day 2 and 3

GreySwampFox and Brew-Jitsu like this.
  28. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
    fresh eggs from a farm that does not wash them or refrigerate will last for months, grocery store eggs should be good for a week so long as they aint far from their exp date.

*Missing one clue and a pile of self motivation, if you've seen either of these items please contact me*

29. DeseretPatriot

DeseretPatriot Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love using tortillas as a base while backpacking. Some of my favorites are tortillas with sliced cheddar and pepperoni in them. Another favorite is a tortilla filled with whipped cream cheese, salmon from the pouch (or canned) and dill for seasoning. There's a book that is pretty prolific and easy to find called the well-fed backpacker, it has a lot of great ideas. Its from the 80s but I think that's better because it will be more low-tech and in line with what we bushcrafters tend to like. Here's a good link for a cheap copy: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=The+well-fed+backpacker

Keithturkjr and C Bryant like this.
  30. Boroffski

Boroffski Scout

Blog Posts:
    Zatarans, all kinds, are my go to. Lipton/uncle bens are good as well.
    I also make an instant potato/stove top stuffing mix, add some jerky while boiling the water and voila. Canned meat works too.
    For my bannock I like to use jiffy buttermilk biscuit mix, throw in a small hand of sugar and mix in some oatmeal and cinnamon.
    Salami, cheese and tortillas or clif bars for lunch.
    Yummy! Now I'm hungry.

31. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    Great responses everyone, thanks for that. Keep them coming! At this rate I'm going to be bringing too much food!

32. rjhisle1973

rjhisle1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Try buying some cereal and adding powder milk to it. You also add some dehydrated fruit made at your house to it. When your ready to eat just add water. This is what Mountain House does with their blueberry cereal.

33. sl8farm

sl8farm Scout

Blog Posts:
    Krusteaz pancake mix is a "just add water" variety. I usually buy the huge bag from Costco.

34. QiWiz

QiWiz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For dinners I repackage freeze dried chicken, beef, corn, and peas into 2 oz packs that have a vegetable and meat, so 4 different combos. I add these to some type of carb (Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, couscous, rice/noodle sides, mac&cheese, quinoa, asian noodles, etc) so I get a bit of extra protein and extra vegetables. I usually add 1/2 oz olive oil too.

I usually cook on a twig stove and will bring something to dry bake too, like cornbread, biscuits, or muffins. This is a real treat. Another treat for the first night out is to freeze a small steak (which thaws in my pack on trail) and grill it over my twig stove fire. Now that's good eating!

Breakfasts for me are usually coffee and some type of hot cereal variation that includes nuts and dried fruit. In hot weather it may be iced coffee and a breakfast bar or cookies instead.

35. Bostoned

Bostoned Scout

Blog Posts:
    I saw on Doomsday Preppers once some woman would rub vegetable oil on eggs and they would keep at room temp for weeks IIRC. So bringing a couple on an overnighter shouldn't be outlandish.

36. Brainchild

Brainchild Scout Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Mountain house.

37. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My preference for any meal in the woods is simplicity, with a minimum of prep and cleanup.

Breakfast is invariably 2 packages of instant oatmeal, tea, and a couple slices of bacon. You only need to boil water, and you don't need a frying pan for bacon if you cook over coals (which, I know you're not... just sayin'). If I have time, I'll prep the oatmeal by putting it in a ziplock bag with a couple tablespoons of dried milk.

Lunch is protein and carbs, mostly... Landjaeger or summer sausage if I can't get LJ, a couple ounce packages of cheddar cheese (lasts longer than string/mozzarella), a cinnamon/raisin bagel (the raisins keep it moist longer for some reason), some dried fruit (apples, raisins, apricots), and something sweet for dessert (Starbursts are my favorite, but M&Ms are ok too.)

Dinner is a Hawkvittle if I can afford them... these are chef-prepared and then dehydrated, not freeze dried. "Serves 2" means just that... two hungry campers, not two hungry models... I buy doubles and then just pour half into my bowl to rehydrate (use duct tape to roll it shut). Stupid-simple, no real cleanup to speak of.

I also carry a drink bag, with tea, drink powder, instant soups, cocoa, and snacks in it.

As mentioned, look up freezer bag cooking and you'll get a bunch of ideas. You can also dehydrate your own stuff. A Lipton side makes a good base, to which you can add fish, chicken, or other packaged meat (including jerky)... Same with dehydrated potatoes or instant rice.

Another heavier idea (we used it in scouts a lot) for the first night's meal is a tin foil packet with a piece of steak, onions, thinly sliced potatoes, and seasoning, then frozen. It will thaw by dinner the first night. Thrown in the coals, it cooks (if the meat and potatoes are thin enough!) and cleans up quickly. yeah, I know... you have only a stove...

38. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  39. churro

churro Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 on "The Well-Fed Backpacker". You might want to double the portions, though. And definitely get or make a dehydrator. It's useful for making healthy convenience foods for home use, too. The simplest version is a cardboard box with an adjustable lamp in it and some trays. The lightbulb supplies heat, a few holes allow for convection, the adjustable switch allows you to regulate temp. Just be careful not to make a fire hazard. My wife is traveling right now, living in hotels, so I sent a bunch of dehydrated meals with her that can be "cooked" using the hot water tap on a coffee urn most hotels have in the lobby. It's been a few days and she hasn't eaten out yet.

Another thing I tried recently is sprouts. Soak a tablespoon of seeds overnight in a plastic peanut butter jar with small holes drilled in the lid. Pour out the water in the morning and attach the jar to the outside of your pack. Rinse 2-3 times a day and in 2-3 days you'll have sprouts. A 5 part mix from vitamin cottage will give you most of the vitamins and minerals you need every day in one 1/2 cup serving. It really helps give a boost of energy a few days into the trip, and they keep at room temp for several days, once made.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  40. iscariot

iscariot Scout

Blog Posts:
    i basicly eat the same stuff in the woods as i do at home,i dont see the big deal.
    I even bring regular butter.

41. SHTFCO

SHTFCO Scout

Blog Posts:
    Butthole Sandwich. Justins PB Packet (Can be had at Walmart) Has honey in it. Bacon on a Tortilla These are 600 + Calorie Sandwiches and is a staple for hunters. =-)

42. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
  43. Rough_Bearing

Rough_Bearing Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Nachos! I have never done it but I have a buddy who is a hunting guide and he swears by it. It's just a matter of getting your chips and cheese ready to go and wrap it all up in tin foil. Then when you get your fire going throw it up high above the fire and you got a nice change of pace.

44. zeroforhire

zeroforhire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have always had good luck with lentils and coucous. Easy to make. Pretty filling too.

45. Caper86

Caper86 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Couscous, ramen noodles, Instant Mashed Potatoes (the Idahoan ones from walmart only require water- no milk or butter), beef jerky, instant Quaker oatmeal. All make a pretty good meal.

Lars, that looks delicious. I'll have to give that a try next time I'm out!

46. Operater6

Operater6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bisquick is my 'go to' for bannock but I add a tsp of olive oil to help hold it together better. Also provides Omega 3 essential oils. A couple of individual squeeze packs of honey will give you a little energy boost as well.

47. Caper86

Caper86 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow, how's that for timing.
    I just checked out reddit.com and there's a link to this:

http://imgur.com/a/1YU5S

It's a pretty good break down of making your own backpacking meals.

48. 1Olddog

1Olddog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mornings consist of grits. 2 packs of instant bacon flavor of course in a qt. Ziploc, add 2 spoons of real bacon bits, 1 spoon of butter buds, 2 spoons of Kraft powdered cheese, a bit pepper, garlic powder, 1 spoon of dehydrated salsa and pepper sauce to your liking. Add about a cup of boiling water more or less depending on whether you like loose or firm grits. Drop into a coozie or wrap in jacket, hat, etc and allow to sit for 10 mins or however long it takes to fix your coffee.

Lunch is just snacks, summer sausage, crackers, cheese sticks

Evening on the first night will be a steak over the fire and recently some smilax tips sauteed in olive oil if available. Second night will be some of the previous mentioned meals but recently purchased a dehydrator and going toward that.

Some other items I have found and tried recently are:
    Ronzoni boil in bag pasta
    Beef crumbles I believe it's a Hormel product
    Couscous, previously mentioned, cooks up quick and just add meat and veggies of choice

49. Oak

Oak Scout

Blog Posts:
    With only a mile hike dont forget plenty of Beer!

50. Sealbilly

Sealbilly Guide

Blog Posts:
    The next time you go take a box of your favorite mac and cheese and after your done cooking it and have everything mixed together dump a can of tuna in it. Sounds like gross right! if you like mac n cheese and you like tuna you will like this.