Backpacking food. Easy and simple... need ideas

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by C Bryant, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can not guess at how many pounds of Krusteaz I have eaten on camping and canoe trips with the scouts.

bacpacjac and C Bryant like this.
  2. RSniderWVA

RSniderWVA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Instant mashed potatoes, minute rice, individual spam packets, instant oatmeal (flavored packets add variety) , little smoked sausages, instant grits, Canadian bacon.

bacpacjac and NevadaBlue like this.
  3. Boroffski

Boroffski Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cliff bars, trail mix and hard salami in between first and last meals when I'm on the move. Oatmeal for breakfast and a hardy reconstituted dinner like beans and rice with some jerky thrown in or a good chili or stew when camp is set.

bacpacjac likes this.
  4. C Bryant

C Bryant Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bumping this thread back up for, the deep.

It has been a few years and a few more trips since this thread started. Thanks to all who have contributed.

My biggest set back beside the no fires thing is having to use a bear can in the Sierras. Many things are just not practical because of the space they take up in the can.

I have started using a dehydrater, mostly for meat. I like to cook chicken breasts in my crock pot with water or chicken broth and seasoning. Cooke them on low most of the day, they pretty much fall apart after that. I then shred them (an electric hand mixer with beaters works amazingly well and fast. Put breasts in a bowl and a few burts with the mixer and it is shredded). Toss in the dehydrater. Add to any meal.

Going out next weekend, want to try dehydrated soup or stew.

Thanks again and keep this thread alive. Great info here.

Here is the chicken and a picture from the last trip.

20180610_194232.jpg
    20180619_075440.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow wow wow!

Yea I really hate the "no fires" thing and the "bear canister"thing I've stopped camping altogether to comply :D:D:D

6. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    Ha! One on these days I need to get out and camp with you guys. Lindsey bought a bigger bear can and it still sucks. Space killer.

7. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Usually in the morning I need a metric ton of coffee. Then between waking up and 4pm backpacking all I really want to eat is a bar or two of some kind and about a pint of mixed nuts. M&Ms can be nice if its cold enough, but only one pack. 2/3's of the trail food should be nuts to keep the energy flowing steadily,...I like my chocolate and nuts separated too. LOL maybe Im weird.

I like the packs of chicken breast at night.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tyson-Gr...Ai-a7FxdcufVC--i3MdMMfQQ8ELOxzYkaAsCcEALw_wcB
    You can throw those in rice dishes or tortillas.
    Pringles pack pretty well.

Peanut butter and honey tortillas are great if you need big calories that pack down small at breakfast time. Church's fried chicken has honey packets.

8. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know a few guys with chickens, I eat fresh eggs for breakfast on most trips since I get then for free and they'll keep for a very long time, I've had 2 dozen sitting on my counter for a couple weeks now. Favorite thing to have with that is a croissant with butter and cheese, roast the roll on a stick real fast for a nice toasty sandwich and depending on the temp and which night you're on cheese is usually fine

10. geojag

geojag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Stovetop stuffing and a pouch of chicken makes a good dinner. Goes well with instant potatoes, and can easily be enough for 3-4 people. Puncture the stovetop bag and vacuum seal it, to save space.

11. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    The meals vary depending on the stove that I carry along. I freeze meat and place in a reflectix diy cozy. The butter goes in there also.

Some of my meals:
    1) Filet mignon with sour cream and chives mashed potatoes (yes I carry real potatoes)
    2) Ribeye steaks with burbon baked beans
    3) Buttermilk biscuits with bacon gravy (freeze the biscuits before leaving home)
    4) Minestrone soup (dehydrated) with a loaf of homemade french or italian bread
    5) Chicken cordon bleu with budweiser beer corn on the cob (My famous recipe)
    6) Lemon pepper chicken with fettuccine alfredo (Knorr brand-working on a hiking recipe for the real deal)
    7) Gnocchi with butter and herbs de providence served with campfire lemon basted shrimp (over stove or in a pan if needed)
    8) Bacon wrapped bbq pork loin and hickory flavored baked beans
    9) Spaghetti Agli oli made from freshly dried noodles (at home) and fresh garlic bread
    10) Jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon and filled with montery jack cheese- Place in pan over alder/hickory chips, add a tad water, cover &smoke, pan sear when done
    11) Pan fried bratwurst (campfire is best) and scrambled eggs

jbutzi, mugsy, Big ian and 1 other person like this.
  12. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    Different things. One of my favorites is chicken in a pouch (i.e. canned chicken but in a pouch) with stovestop stuffing. You can cook it all in the stuffing bag if you like. Also like to do instant grits or oatmeal in the pouch (can put water in and mix it all up in the bag, easy cleanup).

bacpacjac likes this.
  13. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well, when backpacking, I sweat profusely, even if in shorts/t-shirt at 50 degrees. I'm sure those dehydrated meals aren't too salty for me, even if I'm not summitting a mountain.

Summer sausage is great.

Moe M. and bacpacjac like this.
  14. Big ian

Big ian Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think we all would like a little explanation on these recipes for the trail :).

bacpacjac likes this.
  15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Tell me about this bear can thing. Can’t you just use common sense and hang stuff out of reach in a tree? Or, is big brother involved?

bacpacjac likes this.
  16. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Menu:
    1)Filet mignon- I recently had something very similar on the trail. I packed two 1.5lb ribeyes marinated in McCormick seasoning that were frozen. The butter for the potatoes was in the reflectix pouch with the meat. My wife helped carry the food. Cooked it on a trangia 25

2) steak and beans (see steak above) and you can either remove the beans from the can and seal in a mylar quart ziplock stlye bag or make them fresh by cold soaking the dried beans overnight after getting into camp for the next day
    [​IMG]

3) Biscuits and gravy- make fresh biscuits the night before the trip, freeze and store with the frozen bacon. Use the bacon grease, some powdered or condensed milk, and add some flour for the gravy or use an instant pack of country white gravy mix. Add lots of black pepper and crumble the bacon up and place into gravy
    [​IMG]

4) Minestrone soup (Bear Creek Brand)- cook for 20 min or so as directed in a pot. enjoy with a loaf of crusty hard bread that you made the night before by dipping it in the soup
    [​IMG]

5) Chicken cordon bleu with budweiser beer corn on the cob (My famous recipe)- Make chicken at home and freeze. Mix 8oz beer with 4oz butter and 4oz honey (warm on stove and stir). Place mixture in an 8oz soda bottle to transport. Cook corn in a freezer ziplock bag "sous vide" style in a pot with sauce until done. Cook chicken in a pan. Bread the chicken if you prefer.

6) Lemon pepper chicken with fettuccine alfredo (Knorr brand-working on a hiking recipe for the real deal)-Freeze full sized breast at home. Bring a lemon and some black pepper. Pan fry chicken and make the alfredo per instructions in a pot
    [​IMG]

7) Gnocchi with butter- Bring dried gnocchi (fresh or store bought) and rehydrate/cook on the trail until al dente. Place in a pan with butter and herbs de providence. Remove shrimp from reflectix, spritz with fresh lemon juice (eat the rest) and cook on a spit over the fire, in a pan, or over any "non-toxic flame"
    [​IMG]

8) Bacon wrapped bbq pork loin and hickory flavored baked beans-freeze bacon and pork loin. Place in reflectix together. On the trail wrap bacon around loin and hold with toothpicks. Beans are stored in above style mylar ziplock pouch and double sealed
    [​IMG]

9) Spaghetti Agli oli made from freshly dried noodles (at home) and fresh garlic bread- Make noodles at home the night before and dry. Bring butter, red pepper flakes, garlic, and herbs de providence. Boil noodles and when al dente add to pan with everything else (heat the mixture before adding noodles lol). Make the bread at home and bring frozen garlic butter with you.

10) Jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon and filled with montery jack cheese- Place in pan over alder/hickory chips, add a tad water, cover &smoke, pan sear when done-Self explanitory ;)

11) Pan fried bratwurst (campfire is best) and scrambled eggs: pre scramble eggs and bring in a small soda bottle. Freeze sausages and bring in cozy

Lastly...I forgot good old spam sandwiches-Bring bread in a small container.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Big ian and bacpacjac like this.
  17. C Bryant

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue
    It is required in a lot if places that you carry a bear can or hang your food. A lot of hiking the sierra takes you above the timber line where there are no trees to hang food. Many places are so heavily traveled that you have to get a permit to hike there, part of getting the permit is having a can.

The previous post is great and for regular hiking or camping which I love, but pair fire restrictions and a bear can and those kinds of meals dont work. Cant have a fire and all food has to cram into a container.

That is why I'm always looking for good packable ideas.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    bacpacjac and grey mouse like this.
  18. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    And hanging your food won't necessarily keep the mice or coons out of your food

19. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    you are a fellow believer in REAL food I see

grey mouse likes this.
  20. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

mugsy likes this.