Backpacking lghts?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by CaliforniaCanuck, Apr 26, 2016.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK, before we begin, this is BACKPACKING topic, not car camping, not ATV camping, not a day hike, etc.! My meaning is - you are carrying all your worldly possessions, that matter, on your back.

This technology is always changing so I'm wondering what you guys have found out there that works well for backpacking?

Thanks,

Bobsdock likes this.
  2. sweeper54

sweeper54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just South of the New England Mason/Dixon Line
    Luci.

Loogaroo likes this.
  3. VinoNoir

VinoNoir Guide

Blog Posts:
    Fenix with a head band.

Glock Holiday likes this.
  4. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Energizer Tactical Metal Light

It's a small single AA sized light with a clip to attach to the bill of your cap, hang from a tent roof or work as a tac light if needed. Very lightweight yet tough as nails. I back it up with a photon microlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mazer

Mazer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thrunite or mini Mag lite

6. Longhunter1761

Longhunter1761 Flatlander Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.

7. Gsamp

Gsamp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Anything LED that uses AA or AAA batteries. I like Petzl, Black Diamond, or similar. You can wear them on your head, around your neck or use them like a flashlight. I like the ones with a colored light option and lower settings. I currently use a Petzl TacTikka XP, but you can get much cheaper lights that work quite well. Try to borrow a couple from people you know and try them out. I like having the option of lots of lumens if needed. Just my $.02

Kreger likes this.
  8. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Black diamond shock, 3oz, near and far field led's, red light for night, and strobe for emergencies. Waterproof and easily select modes and brightness levels

$35 Amazon

Kreger likes this.
  9. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In Winter; Led lenser H5 head lamp and a UCO micro lantern.

In summer; no need for artificial light.

Kreger likes this.
  10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Black Diamond Gizmo headlamp. 2.5 oz. Hi/lo/blink/off.

Photon. .5oz On/off, squeeze switch.

Kreger likes this.
  11. dirtwheels

dirtwheels Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First I love lights and have too many, now that that is out of the way what I currently carry varies by the trip. Usually I carry a Petzel Zipka because it's 100 lumen and very compact and a UCO Clarus for a lantern and flashlight that's 150 lumen on high. The clarus is about 4 ounces with batts but so is my R-Pal area light which lacks the flashlight function but is 300 lumen with 15 brightness levels and it really throws the light around camp. I do like my UCO candle lantern for when I'm not making fires but a new Lucie light will take it's place due to weight. At times I carry a 850 lumen Fenix just because.

This light, the Ra by Zyntony, seems pretty cool for so many uses from my mountain bike to hiking to work.

http://www.zyntony.com/rainfo/

[​IMG]

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  12. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    if I'm not planning on night hiking, I usually go with a Black Diamond Gizmo- w/ two lithium AAA's 2.0 ounces, it's bright enough to hike in a pinch (60 lumens); if I know I'm going to be night hiking/running I use a Black Diamond Spot-w/ three lithium AAA's 3.0 ounces (200 lumens on tap)

I always have a Photon on a lanyard around my neck (along w/ a whistle)

13. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    That Zyntony Ra light looks neat but one kit is $79.

I'm searching for a new flashlight and $25 seems to get a lot flashlight. I'll probly buy the mag lite XL50.

14. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As much as I don't like headlamps, I find they are what you want for backpacking. All too often I find myself trying to set up camp and cook at dusk and into evening, and for that you want to be hands-free. You can get a quality headlamp with various illumination modes for under $50. Just choose a quality brand that uses AAA or AA batteries and you'll be all set.

backlasher likes this.
  15. perdidochas

perdidochas Scout

Blog Posts:
    LED headlamp that used AAA batteries. That or a Luci solar lantern (for the summer time).

16. azb

azb Scout

Blog Posts:
    Petzl Tikka with rechargeable battery. If I'm out for a,long time I also take along my 4 Oz Sunlinq solar panel.

Az

17. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had a Princeton Tec Quad, which I loved the features of it, but the plastic case cracked and broke even though I was very careful with it.

I replaced it with an aluminum body Fenix headlamp HL25. It's 3.18 ounces, according to the website, and runs off 1 AA battery. I really like it, except for 1 gripe that is true of almost every headlamp I've used. When you turn them on, they all start on full-blast high setting! I wish they would start on the lowest setting, and then get progressively brighter so that you have a chance to somewhat preserve your night vision and aren't blinded when you turn them on.

Barry J likes this.
  18. stingray4540

stingray4540 Scout

Blog Posts:
    When backpacking, I hike all day and sleep at night. I only need light to help me cook, take a leak, or read. In other words, I only need to see well at arms length, or the ground right in front of me as I walk, I don't need to light up the whole mountainside.
    Since those are my requirements, and I shave weight wherever possible, I carry and use the Petzle e+LITE.
    It weighs less than an ounce, is hands free, puts off more light than I need, and I haven't had to change batteries in years.

19. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This ^^^

20. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very curious to see what's mentioned in this thread. I currently don't really have any artificial light for the woods. I've been interested in a headlamp just because it's hands free. My struggle has been finding one. It seems there isn't really one stand out/go to light. I'm always hoping to see an overwhelmingly popular model so I don't have to go through a dozen to find a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
  22. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I practically live using headlamps and flashlights out of my backpack. Here are 3 videos I did showing 4 good options and better yet in actual backpacking settings.

Fenix HL50 vs Armytek Tiara A1 Pro.

[video=youtube;U9UCG2KzwO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UCG2KzwO0[/video]

Both use 1XAA and are winners though have a slight edge to the Fenix HL50.

A short video of my trail lights for warmer weather outings on the AT. It includes the Fenix HL30 which is inexpensive which runs of 2XAA.

[video=youtube;n7NajVoXdsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7NajVoXdsc[/video]

My review of the ArmyteK Prime Pro A2 & C1 plus A1 Prime. These are flashlights which use 2XAA, 1XCR123 or 1XAA and lithium ion, the pros can run unprotected lithium ion safely. Like all the other done from my backpack in the woods.

[video=youtube;S9kKODMmcZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9kKODMmcZ4[/video]

I like backpacking lights the same way I like knives and guns. Gear addition is a terrible thing. I did a videos of the Fenix HP12 and Nitecore HC30 but not sure if 2XCR123 or 18650 is an option for you

23. Dirty-D

Dirty-D Bush-Whacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    my eyes are pretty good, so I look for one I can turn down real low as to not fry my night vision/ blind others camping with me.

I've got a black diamond one, it takes AAA's and comes with some BD branded rechargeable ones and a little micro usb charger, I'm going to stick with the regular batteries though, I haven't had good luck with rechargeables in the past...

24. Huey

Huey The Lurker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    R_W likes this.
  25. Spiffyguy

Spiffyguy Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In the pocket: Fenix E01 (single AAA)
    On the head: Fenix HL60R (Single 18650 USB recharable)
    In the Tent: Luci Lux (Solar Lantern)

These work well, are light, small, and fit my needs and comforts.

26. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    i lose lights a lot so i just learned to love both the little harbor freight giveaway lights, the headlamp and the small flashlight. have many.I like to hang one on tipi liner for kids night-light. It last several nights on one set of batteries

27. silent chad

silent chad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    bear in mind that I see quite well at night and really don't want a lot of light most of the time.
    don't care much for headlamps either ( I've got a couple and they ARE handy for certain things)
    I've also got 4 kids so my stuff tends to be on the budget-minded end of things.
    so much for the caveats.....

I use a coast HP-5, I think it is, that's been a good light for twenty bucks but the one flashlight that I find I use most of the time are these little aluminum keychain AAA ray-o-vac lights that I get for four bucks at W-mart.
    I keep one around my neck and use that for 90% of everything that I do around camp. I've got a little lantern-ish plastic cap that spreads the light if I need.
    my main reasons for raving about these things is that they are absolutely water-proof, tough as nails, and the little AAA batteries last a looooooooong time.
    I prefer to only use lights that I can easily get batteries for anywhere.

the cons, they're not terribly bright...that being said I consider that a positive ( for me) because I HATE to mess up my night vision.
    not the be-all end-all, but for the price you might try one.... I've probably had half a dozen of 'em, daily hard and wet use, over four yers and have had zero trouble with any of them.
    I also like the UCO candle lanterns, but that's different ball of wax ( pun intended )

28. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    My headlamp is the zipka with option for the red LED. The red light saves your night vision and is bright enough to light up your workspace or tent.

I've owned several of these and I like the compactness of the cable instead of a strap. Also, if you hang to light around a water bottle with the light facing in, it turns the bottle into a lantern. I keep two going, one in the car and another for trips.

29. dirtwheels

dirtwheels Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might want to check out the NiteIze headlamp from Lowes, they have a 142 lumen model that's been discounted to $19.99 at our local stores here in the Carolina's. I love mine, it's very adjustable and has a red light mode that helps you retain your night vision when taking a leak at night and it's great for not disturbing others when you're in a group.

https://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-STS-Headlamp.asp

30. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Check into the Princeton tech vizz I took mine on a canoe trip when my energizer lamp burnt up. I was the only guy with one now everyone on that trip has one. They are a pretty solid light around the 50$ mark or so

31. shadows

shadows Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The 2016 Black Diamond Spot is what I use and recommend. I also keep a Photon clipped to one of the zipper pulls on my pack.

32. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I ended up going with the Black Diamond Spot. Seems to get good reviews all around by both users and tech review magazines. Also a lot of people on here have it a thumbs up. Thanks for the input though [emoji1303]

33. GD-SAR

GD-SAR Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  34. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Backpacking always makes weight a concern, however, I’ve found the hands-free headlamp to be essential, especially when you try and squeeze a few more miles out as the sun is going down or you want to break camp and hit the mountain top as the sun rises.

[​IMG]

I think the ubiquitous Photon is such a simple, small and light LED that it could be added to anybody’s kit and go unnoticed until needed.

I predominately prefer single cell lights. I’ve just found they allow me to judge the amount of light left much easier and I can carry a spare battery with no penalty, but provides better predictability.

Despite the preference for a single cell, my favorite lightweight headlamp is Petzl’s e-LITE. Some great features on the smallest of headlamps and I can carry two spare CR2032 batteries in my ID card pouch.

If you ever expect to hike past sundown or break camp before sunrise to hit the trail, I’ve used a Zebra and more recently appreciating the Fenix HL50 (1.8 ounces without battery). The Fenix is awesome and I hike out during the darkest hour as a bad storm was brewing and I wanted to get out before the creeks rose to high…it was already raining, but the headlamp was simply perfect for the two hour hike out.

Out of habit, I often pack a single cell LED pocket light. I’ve been using Sunwayman for years (they take variations of AA or CR123 cells). I’m trying an even smaller Olight S1 Baton light, although it only takes a CR123 battery.

Some may not see the need, but that is highly dependent on the activities. Our distance backpacking always has us up before sunrise and some unfortunate late hikes past sundown. Hands-free lighting is very important for our needs.

ROCK6

SC864 and Not Sure like this.
  35. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    For ultralight you may want to consider APALS. Those are LEDs, run up to 80 hours. Waterproof. 3 modes. Pack of 10 costs 30-40. Variety of colors. Look up some youtube review videos.

36. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wrap a stick in rags then soak the rags in tar and kerosine. Light with a match, and you're good to go!

I've seen this work in almost too many movies to count. Even Bear Grylls uses this method when he's exploring caves that he has no reasonable expectation of ever escaping alive. It has served mankind for centuries.

Steve

Foulwind likes this.
  37. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    That would work well in the tent!

38. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    And burn time is measured in minutes not hours and the hands free method can be challenging:4:

ROCK6

39. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could find the post but I was looking through this thread last week and saw someone that was unhappy that his light starts at the brightest setting and must be transitioned to a dimmer setting - I don't know the exact model but my headlamp is a Princeton one and it starts out at the dimmest red setting, then moves towards the brightest white setting.

So whoever that was may wanna look into Princeton. I would like a light that's a little less heavy but it's not bad, got it at Dick's maybe a year ago

40. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    If your real bushcrafting you should only have a candle stub and do all you work at night by the light of the campfire

41. tleek

tleek Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just bought a Black Diamond Spot Headlamp.
    I don't really like the cool blue tint and it doesn't memorize your last mode, but other than that the features re pretty great. You could hold the button down and focus the brightness rather than cycle through set modes, it has a throw beam, a fantastic flood beam, and a red LED for preserving night vision. It is really light wait and has the power tap feature so you could tap the side and get full power then tap again and return to previous setting.

I am a enough a a flashlight nerd to checkout Candle Power Forums every now and then, and it doesn't seem to get rave reviews over there with the flashlight gurus, but its marketed as a backpacking light and it gets great reviews among backpackers.

For handhelds, I have a Fenix ld20 that is MIA and I considered replacing it with an ld22. Two aa might be a bit big and heavy if you like to go really light, but the ld20 sold me on Fenix products and I would like another one sometime.

I bought a thrunite T10 last year and planned on using it for any backpacking trips I might go on as well as edc, but it broke in like a month. They offered to replace it but they wanted me to send them pictures of the package and shipping confirmation and I never got around to it. The Neutral tint would have been great though.

42. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just have a Small button battery Photon (green light) on my EDC PSK necklace and a small 2 cell AA Maglight in my pack or day bag.

43. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    whatever you get, make sure it has some kind of waterproof rating. I got a Coast HL7 based on it's excellent beam but is only water "resistant". I only use it around the house now. I replaced it with the black diamond Spot that is rated to Ipx8.

I always want to double up on important items, especially if it's prone to failure like electronic lighting. If I'm backpacking, where weight is a priority, I back this up with a Photon light. If I'm camping or hunting, I'll add a handheld light that uses the same AAA batteries.

right now my favorite AAA light is the 4Sevens Preon2. it weighs less than 2oz, uses 2 AAA batteries and gives 220 lumens in high mode. it has high, low, SOS, Strobe, and Beacon, which gives a bright flash every few seconds for 40 hrs...

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  44. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    the new Spot also had a lock feature, when used no way to accidentally have it turned on draining your batteries

45. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The headlamp of your preference is probably better than a handheld light. My preferred headlamp is the black Diamond storm. It has lots of brightness levels, red LED mode, is waterproof (dropped it in a lake once. No issues), has a battery indicator, and takes AAA batteries. I have the 2015 version, which has a max of 150 lumens. I feel that is plenty bright for the woods. The newer version is brighter, though.

46. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    that's a great feature. I got one of the new ones because of the increased power and Ipx8 rating but didn't realize it had the lock till after I got it...

47. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    does the Storm use 4 AAA batts?..

48. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yes.

49. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Scout

Blog Posts:
  50. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No love for the Streamlights? :4:

I've got a Streamlight 14512 Sidewinder Compact II Military Model Angle Head Flashlight, Headstrap and Helmet Mount Kit (http://smile.amazon.com/Streamlight...-1&keywords=streamlight+sidewinder+compact+ii) and love it.

Three levels of brightness plus strobe.
    White, red, blue, and IR.
    On/Off switch and color selector are separate.
    Takes CR123, AA Alkaline, or AA Lithium.
    Detaches from headstrap. Can then be clipped to hat, packstrap, etc.
    Rugged as can be.
    Compact and lightweight.
    Good battery life.
    Throws a great beam.

Originally had a Compact I model but didn't have the headstrap. Wife then bought me the Compact II kit. Only one real differences besides some style changes. 1. The model II uses CR123 or AA, model I is CR123 only.

Wouldn't give up either of them for any flashlights I've found so far. Great all around flashlights. I've got some old Maglights I've converted to LED that I keep for really reaching out to see what is going bump in the night out in the yard/woods. I've got a Surefire 6PX Defender Single Output LED Flashlight (older version that has checkering rather than the finger grooves) that I keep attached to the firearm for things that might go bump in the night in the house. I've got a few different lanterns for general illumination. Also, quite a few different lights I've picked up over the years. But, those two Streamlights are my go to flashlights for general use and EDC and when camping.

Gii shi kan dug likes this.