Backpacking Recipes & Food

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by MJGEGB, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been doing more and more backpacking trips over the past couple of years and looking to do more in the future. I've been working on some meals that work well for backpacking trips some of which are a mix of backpacking and bushcraft and some that are more about putting in miles. I looked at the recipe thread in the cooking forum but a lot of the meals didn't seem suited to traveling well. I searched in this forum and found this thread, but figured a general thread for everyones favorite meals and food when backpacking would be good.

Rice Tortillas
    • Knorr rice sides, I like the Mexican or Spanish ones (half a bag for a single person is plenty)
    • Tortillas (whatever you prefer)
    • Meat: Chicken or Jalapeno Tuna are my go to both are precooked and come in pouches
    • Optional: Cheese, Peppers, hot peppers
    Cook up the rice, you can cook it in the pot, or cut out some of the water and let it soak. I like to mix the meet into the rice while its hot and close to or done cooking. This way it's all warm and the flavors mix well. Scoup some on a tortilla and add other toppings if available and it's ready to eat.

Eggs and Bacon/Sausage in a pot or on a plate
    • Water bottle with eggs already out of the shell. A little funel works great for this. Squeeze the extra air from the bottle after adding the eggs.
    • Frozen bacon or sausage
    • Reflectix pouch: you can make one from any piece of reflective bobble wrap. I've gotten a couple from Amazon Prime Now orders.
    Cook the meat first and leave at least some of the oil in the pan or on the plate. Then cook the egs using the oil to help keep them from sticking. My last trip I cooked 6 sausage patties and 6 eggs on a 7" titanium plate on top of an alcohol stove. This is only a viable option for the first morning. I wouldn't go beyond that.

Nutella Wraps
    • Tortilla
    • Nutella
    • Rasins
    • Optional: nuts or gorp
    Spread Nutella on two wraps. Sprinkle on rasins and anything else desired. Roll both up and place in a zipZip sandwich bag. Makes for a tasty quick and dirty trailable lunch.

Tuna Mac (old faithful)

• Mac and cheese (Kroger has a white box in their organic section that is light, compact, and tasty if you don't like the powder cheese like me)
    • Tuna packet: the Jalapeno flavored tuna is my personal favorite
    This is a go to for me due to it's simplicity. If you haven't tried it don't knock it until you do. Some folks are funny about mixing the tuna with anything, but this combination works very well in my experience.

Coffee

Starbucks Via instant coffee has been a go to since a forum member introduced me to it a couple years ago. I like their Blonde and their Columbian blends. I'm currently testing out a much cheaper alternative.

So what are some of your favorite backpacking meals, recipes, and foods?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    great thread!

i'm going to be taking some left over home made spaghetti sauce full of vegetables and meat to dehydrate for future trips. i just try to dehydrate leftovers to save cost or

3. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    Check out the Bear Creek soups as a goid base for backpacking meals. We add dried beef, mushrooms, veggies, etc... to bulk them up.

Alessi brand soups, and rice mixes are great too.

4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I need to put my wife's dehydrator to work. So far I've taken ideas from through hikers who need to be able to resupply at any given town along the way. Knorr, Idahoian, Tuna packs, and Raman are staples along the AT where I tend to hike. No reason aside from laziness not to make up some fancier meals for some trips. Might try dehydrating taco meat for trail side soft tacos or something like that in the future.

I'll have to try those, some of them look really good. Any tips for splitting them out serving wise? For example the Knorr sides I find half is more than plenty for me with some meat mixed in. I've been told that you reduce the water by half a cup for coozy cooking (boil water and let the food sit and soak in the hot water) to save on fuel. Seems like for the soup you'd just need to cover the ingredients and maybe a bit more water wise. I plan to give this sort of cooking a try in the near future to cut down on fuel usage.

MrFixIt, Bobsdock and UAHiker like this.
  5. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am not a fan of the boil and soak in coozie method. Most of these, including the knorr, are expecting to simmer at a low boil for a number of minutes. Adding in extra meat and dried veggies makes it even more necessary.

Anywzy, to your question. I just split the bag if needed. Be sure to really shake it up to even disperse the seasonings and stuff.

MrFixIt, Bobsdock and MJGEGB like this.
  6. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Two pretty good backpacking recipe books that I am using this backpacking season.

IMG_3362.jpg

7. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I purchase Mountain House products in #10 cans and then fill ziploc bags with portions that fit my needs.

MrFixIt and hidden_lion like this.
  8. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    don't forget Jerky. its pre-seasoned and rehydrates well for soup. add to Ramen noodles or minute rice. If you like more exotic flavors you can pick up indian dishes in pouches you can boil to heat up, a large variety of flavors available in the foreign food section of most grocery stores. they are very good.

MJGEGB and MrFixIt like this.
  9. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Idahoan instant potatoes are another good thing to get familiar with.

Any brand I guess, but those seem the tastiest in my opinion.

Pretty good as a side, but there's kind of a shepherds pie/pot pie thing I like to make with cheddar flavored, dehydrated veggies, gravy mix, and canned beef.

Make the gravy, add the veggies and beef, let em cook a minute and get soft. You want it to end up pretty thick.

Make the potatoes in the packet, put them right on top in the pot, take it off the heat and let it sit a few, and eat up!

MJGEGB and MrFixIt like this.
  10. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a trip coming up this weekend, maybe the next depending on how things go. I might try a new dinner recipe that I got from Darwin on the Trail

Pesto Couscous with Chicken
    • Knorr Pesto package
    • 1 Cup of Couscous
    • 3oz Chicken in water package
    I might add a pack of jalapeno tunna depending on my mood as well.

If I go that route I'll try to post my thoughts and a picture if I remember.

Anyone have thoughts on a trailable lunch for warm weather? I sort of want to avoid nuts and other sources of oil and fat on the trail to help keep my body temp down.