Backpacking stories

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Vpetrell, May 30, 2018.

1. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Scout

Blog Posts:
    this thread is inspired by the thread in preparedness
    Self Defense Awareness In The Bush

What are some stories you have from backpacking? Creepy, scary, fun or anything really you like to share here

My only creepy story is from my first trip to red river gorge in Kentucky a few years ago with my older brother.

We had been hiking for about 8 hours and found a place to make camp down by the river. As he was getting set up, I was looking around exploring the area to see what all we had at our disposal.

Since it was getting darker, some of the light was playing tricks on my eyes, but I had noticed some white “things” about 15 ft away from me. Nothing stood out as our of the ordinary until I walked up to see what it was. Turned out to be a dismembered plastic doll. Not the body or anything, just arms, legs and head. The head had the eyes pulled out of it to boot.

Nothing else crazy happened that night but t defineityl kindnof freaked me out for my first time backpacking with no cell service and no one else around.

Always makes me wonder who all is around without you knowing.

Post em up!

VP

2. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My buddy and I packed into a state lean-to. Just about dusk after we get set up there is a loud crash. Not like a deer crashing thru but like someone threw a boulder the size of a small car into a tree. No sleep that night.

3. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    no so much danger but.

a few years ago, we hired a horse packing company to take us into the Golden Trout wilderness. my brother had goal to catch every subspecies of trout on a single trip. we went up to some lakes and hiked the 50 miles back out fishing.'

anyways, we slept at the packstation. that morning we were weighing our packs. and getting the mules set up. the owner told us of a guy that came and got a wilderness permit from him..and he weighed his packs. total weight? 170lbs!!

i thought it was total BS. we did our trip..on the hike out..about 10 miles from the pack station (where we left our vehicles) we see this guy. it was HIM!! Mr 170!! he was posted up on the only water. we approached him and asked if we could camp adjacent to him. no problem!! the water was a plastic pipe pounded into the hillside..it was a a steady trickle.

i took a look: Mr170 had a real queen sized air mattress. the kind you let house guest sleep in. it was pumped up and he was laying on it. next to him was a ziploc bag full of pills. all colors. the guy was high as a kite. he wakes up and mumbles something about a snack. he then proceeds to open up a REAL CAN of Del Monte peaches. he had canned food. it was shocking. he had two backpacks and a roller duffle. we were on day 9 and he only made it 10 miles. i think he was on day 10. a mile a day!!

we talked to him. his family hates him. he spends 2 months every year wandering the forest. we checked with the pack station. he still does it. he streamlined his pack load. i think he is down to only 2 packs now..around 100lbs. :)

it was unbelievable. if i didnt see it with my own eyes....

4. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    oh that trip. the first night. the horse pack crew stayed the night and packed out that next morning. two stoner kids. in deep sleep i hear something panick the horses. my brother and i immediately went into fetal positions to protect our innards. the horse stampeded thru our tents. i felt them thunder past our tents. close! my brother and i were sharing a tent. we discussed waking up and beating up those two kids..hahah..it was scary. we had to stay nice. the two kids agreed to take our cowboy boots back as well as my huge rod holder..just put them in the back of my truck. i agreed to tip them handsomely when i got back.

when we got back, they were already fired. hahaha..the boss caught them smoking pot in the cabin. i spent the tip money on way too many IN and OUT burgers.

5. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never really had any "experiences" in the bush. Here in Minnesota, I've had bears in camp at night, (the big brother of the raccoons we had in camp in Kentucky), but the food pack was always out of bear reach. I have heard wolves at night though, close to camp. Wolves aren't any sort of threat to humans, but still, when a big lone wolf howls just off in the darkness; it'll get my attention every time...

Something innate and primal I suppose, from the time before time...

6. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    On my oldest son's first trip when he was 4 we ran into a lady with a dog named Sandy on the trail. Once we reached camp we saw them again and she showed us how to climb up the rock for the 360° view. On his second backpacking trip a while later as we were getting ready to hit the trail as fate would have it there she was again with Sandy and a fiddle strapped to her pack. I said hello and she recalled our last encounter. After the first night my dad hiked out to move the truck to the closer parking lot since my son wasn't up to doing the longer hike out. He ended up running into them walking down the road and gave them a ride to her car. Small world sometimes.

On my youngest son's first trip when he was 4 we ended up giving a section hiker a ride down off Priest Mountain and into town to his daughter's house which was on the way home for us. He'd been stuck in storms for the past prior 3 days and wasn't up to finishing up his secotion. He was so thsnkfut that he got us lunch which made the little one happy.

7. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'll call my story Pipe Dreams.Me and a buddy were camping in a leanto after a backpacking trail from Adirondack Loj that headed to Mount Marcy(highest peak in the state of NY)The area,Mount Marcy Dam had several leantos.We spent one night at a leanto and headed home but while there we had a good laugh.We were drinking Tang mixed with vodka,and had been smoking some of that stuff.A ranger meanwhile came by and told us a bear was seen in the area.Well,being three sheets to the wind between the Tang cocktails and dope,I had passed out.Then I don't know how much later while passed out,I had a dream,one of those dreams you have that you're actually there,that the bear came up to me while in my sleeping bag I started to moan Help,Help,while feeling for the bruins whiskers.LOL.Then my buddy woke me up,and laughed at me wondering what in the world's wrong with him.LMAO.I told him the dream,then we proceeded to further take tokes and sip our Tang cocktails.That's it,no more dreams,and luckily didn't come across that old bear.
    09-04-2013 09;25;08PM.jpg
    One of the leantos at Mount Marcy Dam
    09-04-2013 09;20;03PM.jpg
    View of a leanto from the bridge crossing the dam
    MacintyreRange.jpg
    Signs to trails
    920x920.jpg
    Bridge over the Mount Marcy Dam
    download.jpg
    So long,Russ LMAO

gohammergo likes this.