1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Backpacking with a thermos

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by UAHiker, Oct 11, 2016.

1. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anyone backpack with a thermos? or do you consider too heavy or not needed.... i read an article i got in a email where he puts his meal in a thermos with boiling water and by the next meal it's ready to go and hot, he dehydrates his meals. so the only thing he has to do then is boil water for the meal and he's ready again or if he's doing a cold meal then it's completely rehydrated and ready instead of waiting for it to rehydrate before eating.

i the winter time i could see this being useful or even just using the thermos for a hot drink heck even during them summer could be useful it you want to hit the trail again pretty quick. basically meal is cooking while your hiking

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes carry a thermos hunting, for cocoa, but never camping.

However, for rehydrating meals, you don't need a thermos... get an old Kool-aid powder container with a screw top lid. Cut the "spout" portion of the container off, down to the threads, then hit it with some really fine sandpaper. That's your bowl and the lid is a cup. Make a cozy for it out of duct tape and some blue sleeping pad. Pour in your dried meal bits. Add boiling water. Screw on the lid. Stick it in the cozy. Go cut some firewood. Come back in 20 minutes and you're done... and all for about 3oz. Can't beat that with a stick. (I could do the same with cold stuff, but don't see the point in a cold rehydrated meal.)

fwiw, my small Mors pot (5-cup) weighs about 8 oz, my spoon is about .4, and that's about all I need to carry. I can splurge with a lexan mug (3.5oz) and chain to hang my pot with (2.5oz)... so, total kitchen is just over a pound.

Bridgetdaddy, beacon, Hoof and 6 others like this.
  3. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Google Kurt Saxon. He has some recipes for a thermos. I would not want to backpack with it but for car camping it is great

4. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We have done thermos hotdogs for fall picnics, bonus is drinking the water!

5. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's what we call weinny water soup

6. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes. Not for backpacking but for day trips during cold weather. Today im laying track for dog search training. I have a thermos of chicken stock to keep me warm while i wait. It was 29 this morning.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    yeah, i've made cozy for my pot, weighs about 5oz, with reflectix ~7oz. i can boil water, put in food, cover, wait 15-20min and i'm good too. i just thinking of alternatives when you CAN'T make a fire.... ie national parks, fire ban ect... i ran into that on my last trek, i really didn't want to wait for the 20min and wanted to keep on the trail so i got thinking of cold meals and/or ways of having meal cook while hiking and ready to eat when i was ready for lunch or dinner

your kool-aid or lemonade container i've heard of before but it's not water tight to carry in/on pack.... i was also thinking possibly the vargo bot and making a cozy for that, that way it'd be a combo use (cooking/thermos)

8. Ol Grizz

Ol Grizz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Almost always carry a 1.5 pint thermos on late fall/winter/early spring day trips. Otherwise I have made a cozy out of a cheap closed cell foam pad and duct tape that fits my Nalgene when I want to carry hot beverages or hot water on a multi-day trip.

9. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I see your point about no fires... doesn't apply where/when I camp, so I never though about it much.

Re Water-tight... no, it's not exactly, but I have used it to make oatmeal first thing in the morning, and then carried it to my deer stand to eat while waiting for the sun to come up... no spillage. Pretty sure you could put a piece of plastic wrap over the mouth to tighten it up though, if needed.

10. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Often carry a hot drink in a thermos (or thermos-type container... I don't actually own a true Thermos) when deer hunting. When backpacking, I never carry a thermos of any sort. Sometimes I may carry a Snow Peak double-wall mug to sip hot drinks from if I make them at camp, but that's as fancy as I ever get. That mug, by the way, is a fixture of my car camping gear.

shotgunpapa likes this.
  11. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been a Kurt Saxon fan since the eighties, his thermos articles are classic and was part of the survivor series in the mid eighties. I make my oatmeal everyday using the thermos. For general bushcraft I have been packing this set up. The Stanley thermos and gsi cup fit in the condor pouch perfectly. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Great subject.
    Haven't back- packed in a lot of years......and didn't carry one back then...Thought it was too heavy...
    But am never without on any trip and hunting trips....Truck car, boat or carry.
    I like the wide mouth for soups, regular bottle for coffee....many time just put them on a lanyard to sling along.

I can see the "cook as you walk" being a great thing.

shotgunpapa likes this.
  13. JPWeaver

JPWeaver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't carried one while backpacking - but, reading information on the Thermos Cooking Recipes, Tips & Reviews site, I may try it some time - the ability to cook things like rice which normally require a simmer for an extended period of time are really intriguing.

I have, however, taken my thermos out on somewhat strange journeys, to enable me to have a hot beverage at the end (black coffee, in my case).

When I was on Airborne status in the Army, whenever I had a "Combat Equipment" jump I always packed a thermos of coffee in my rucksack - I figured the extra few pounds was worth it, giving me hot coffee on the drop zone after the "tactical" mission was over.

A lot of people said I was crazy - but then they often came up to me on the DZ to beg for a cup of hot joe.

It also enabled me to mess with new Officers - I would show them my Aladdin thermos, inform them that it had 7 parachute jumps - and that it was more of a paratrooper than they were.

SSG Nasty, aaronh33, Gruxxx and 11 others like this.
  14. jerome

jerome Scout

Blog Posts:
    why didn't I think of that?

shotgunpapa likes this.
  15. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    the other thing i thought of was just using the vargo bot just to rehydrate my meal cold and then when i stop if i want it hot just pull out the stove or make a fire, and heat it up right in the bot. no extra gear, multipurpose container and you have to carry the water anyway for drinking so it's not like your adding any extra weight.

the only thing with the cozy is i made one for my current pot and my lid is just a piece of thin aluminum from a pie plate with a double layer of reflectix and i did a quick test. water started at 180, after 3hrs dropped to 90 but that was with no water tight lid so results may vary and it may not be as hot as a vacuum insulated container but "should" still be warm enough.....

i love to get the titanium version of the bot but don't want to shell out $100 for it, even if you are cutting the weight in half....

jerome and shotgunpapa like this.
  16. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    1st thank you for your service and God Bless!! that's awesome!

i'm not a huge ultra light person but i am weight conscience but an extra pound maybe worth experimenting with.

shotgunpapa likes this.
  17. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is the first argument for the bot that's ever made since to me. Dang....gonna have to be weary of sales now lest I end up another $100 lighter...

18. pilsburythrowboy12

pilsburythrowboy12 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a large thermos when in hot weather to bring ice cream as trail magic for AT thru hikers. I have to use the handle of my spoon to slowly fit an entire 1/2 gallon in there but it's worth it. Needless to say, its received with disbelief and at times with beaming smiles laced with marriage proposals haha.

19. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    like crewhead- I don't every bring one backpacking, but backcountry skiing, elk hunting and other cool day outings- I'll often bring a small thermos (.5 liters) filled with warm soup- it has an amazing effect on your psyche :4:

20. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am using the 30 ounce bottle from Yeti. yea it is expensive.

Walter2, tennecedar and shotgunpapa like this.
  21. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    glad i could help :) yeah either wait for sale for Ti or just do the $40 for SS

Jasonacraft likes this.
  22. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    (I've posted this pic before)
    Hot tea on long shed hunting day hikes:
    [​IMG]

The pooch & I never want to stop long enough to brew over a fire/stove.

Walter2, Roamer, santig and 4 others like this.
  23. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Tracker

Blog Posts:
    never had one backpacking, but for cold weather day hikes and deer hunting i'm never without one full of coffee or stew, sometimes two with both!

Barry J likes this.
  24. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Actually I forgot a situation where I do use insulated bottles. When it's well below freezing, I'll carry my regular drinking water in a thermos just to keep it from freezing during hikes.

25. claymation

claymation Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive used thermoses hunting, cycling and backpacking just to get a jump on the day.

Recently, I have been using a tiny thermos type bottle when I tour cycle long distances. We often "stealth camp" which requires making coffee at night before bedtime. In the baby thermos, I could chug two or three cups right away before the sunrise to begin my day saving an hour or more in cooking time.

SoreFeet likes this.
  26. jswi2374

jswi2374 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not for backpacking long distance but for short hikes in, the weight of my thermos isn't too hateful. Having hot coffee throughout the day is great. Pouring some oatmeal and hot water in at evening campfire, then sleeping in (8AM) and still having a hot breakfast before my Scouts is just awesome!

27. R_W

R_W Guide

Blog Posts:
    It can be a huge time saver, and definite mood booster. You have to decide if it is worth the weight to you.

After years of carrying one for coffee at work, I can tell you this is one item where quality matters. Not price, QUALITY. A poor thermos will barely keep stuff hot until lunch, while a good one will keep hot for at least a day. The really good ones will keep coffee hot for a couple days, a real treat getting back to the truck for the drive home after a weekend of hunting or cold camping.

Barry J and xrayit like this.
  28. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I often bring a thermos, or at least an insulated beverage container, when I hike with my kids in the cold. The immediate satisfaction and warm-up is a sanity saver for old mom! I can brew-up or cook-up at leisure once they've got a little in them. I just make a little extra each time so there's some ready for the next stop. Sounds a little counter-intuitive but it works for me.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Bridgetdaddy likes this.
  29. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    When the Air Force sent me to Alaska, I was assigned to a unit on Ft Richardson. The Army issued me a Canteen, Arctic. Damn thing weighed a ton
    The Air Force issued me a Stanley 1 qt thermos. While it may have weighed as much as the canteen, it never froze and it was pretty sweet getting up n the morning and be able to make hot oatmeal/coffee without having to mess with a stove in the dark and cold.

The Stanley also fit into my ruck much better.

To this day I carry a Thermos when out in the field. It can make life a bit easier, and maybe, save your life.

Walter2, Redwalker, SoreFeet and 2 others like this.
  30. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Vargo Bot for this purpose. Built a coozie for it, boiled water and put the lid on. As it cooled it formed a vacuum and sucked the lid down so tight it was impossible to get off. I wrapped cord around the lid and tied it to a stick. Twisted so hard I crushed the sides of the bottle. Wound up carrying the unopened bottle home and writing Vargo. They wrote me back immediately and told me how to manipulate the seal with a knife.
    Not a negative review, just so you know.

Jasonacraft likes this.
  31. mcdudr

mcdudr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Chilly mornings here lately, so I pack a small Stanley w/tea while waiting for the squirrels to wake up. I'll have a thermos also when deer season arrives. It might be me, but being a senior citizen now, I seem to chill easier in the AM.

32. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Heh, I packed a "thermos" of liquid nitrogen, but never coffee.

UAHiker likes this.
  33. Arrowolf

Arrowolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    The name of this game is Hydroflask.

dynamicmoves likes this.
  34. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i think what i'm now looking for is a leak proof or water tight metal container that has a removable lid and not insulated. my plan is put dehydrated food and water in container let meal rehydrate while hiking, take off lid, place container on stove and heat up meal. that way it's a multi use container.

35. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes take a 12 oz. insulated Kleen Kanteen afield with me. I guess you could call this a mini thermos. Small and relatively light. I use it mainly because it gives me time to enjoy a hot beverage instead of being forced to gulp it down before it gets cold. Nice morale booster.

36. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of Thermos's buried in the back of the pantry. I use them occassionally; perhaps for a long day of hunting, when sledding with the kids, for the unusual days I have to work outside, or for other random outdoor events that aren't far from the car, but never for long hikes or backpacking. They're way too heavy, IMO, and half the fun on those trips is stopping to build a fire or light up my stove to make lunch and coffee.

37. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    vdeal, UAHiker and J. Pierce like this.
  38. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just looked at thermos i have
    Might be an option
    If i use it as a drinking vessel also doing away with coffee cup and bowl additional weight would be minimal
    Something to consider
    Although will be trip specific
    Short distance or if using sled in winter prefer my 40oz 24 hr thermos
    Trip with kids or with others may be too small to be practical

39. friluftsliv

friluftsliv Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I EDC a 24 oz flip-top thermos for hydration, but it's a bit heavy and unnecessary for intentional hikes & camping trips (where I would use a reservoir in my pack). For food prep I like these little MSR stowaway pots that come in different sizes. The pots are cheap enough that you can keep them in your get-home bag, your BOB, your camping pack, etc. Though I'm trying to get up the nerve to splurge on some titanium for the camping kit.

40. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those things ROCK ! I have 3 and the wife has 3 they are used everyday, never thought about using for hot stuff!

41. mangkukhan

mangkukhan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    HaHave used em for hot water, tea, coffee, cocoa, making oatmeal, noodles, or carrying soup. Regret iut sometimes while carrying it but all that dissappearsonce I've stopped and can reap the rewards.

UAHiker likes this.
  42. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not very bushcrafty, but I'll sometimes put some piping hot soup, in my 12oz insulated kleen kanteen, on cold day hikes if I don't plan on having a fire.

UAHiker likes this.
  43. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I have a tall Stanley brand (I think) thermos, I use it for tea, when I'm out on an astronomy night with my big telescope. (20" Obsession truss tube DOB) So, no backpacking it for me.

UAHiker likes this.
  44. Walter2

Walter2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You get what you pay for and you got a nice piece of every day gear.

45. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i read an article in backpacker magazine of someone who pre-froze their thermos put ice cream in it at 5am and went hiking. by the time they made camp and were ready for dessert the ice cream was still solid!! if your willing to take the weight for a nice treat like ice cream after a long day hiking it might be worth it!!

46. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    at 13oz for almost 1L that peaks my interest as well especially considering how well they say it holds the temp! going from 203F to 141F in 24hr that's pretty impressive and still plenty hot enough for a hot tea/coffee ect.. :)

47. vdeal

vdeal Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used an insulated Hydroflask to carry my water in the winter - keeps it from freezing. I have also used another Hydroflask for hot tea. We have taken a Aladdin of hot tomato basil soup on cold weather fishing trips and that's quite nice at lunch.

48. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i discovered the same thing last winter went i went out once. i had a very thin film of ice but easy to break through

49. vdeal

vdeal Scout

Blog Posts:
    So are you saying you had ice in the Hydroflask? I never have.

50. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    it wasn't an hydroflask that i was using but a different brand of vacuum insulated mug