Backyard Vistors

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by werewolf won, Jul 29, 2019.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Out the back door I had three hen turkey and a mess of little ones. Must have hatched at two different times some were pretty good sized, others about the size of a softball.
    TURKEYY.jpg TURKEYY2.jpg

Out front I spied a chipmunk on a stump and started to take it’s picture when I noticed a rabbit back under the bush taking a break. Add in the deer, woodchucks, squirrels and skunks and I really have a mixed bag of wildlife right out the door.
    TURKEYY1.jpg
    TURKEYY3.jpg
    TURKEYY4.jpg

2. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Backyard grocery store! Just need some veggies growing, which will attract more critters, and you have it made!

I have never seen a rabbit stretched out like that before. :)

3. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. That rabbit looks like he's really taking it easy. My wife keeps various bird feeders full of goodies in the back yard, along with an couple of water basins, for the birds. Yesterday a family of quail came into the yard, a Dad, a Mom, and seven little babies about the size of golf balls. They pecked around on the ground under one of the bird feeders and had some lunch, and then the parents took turns taking a bath. The doves, humming birds and all kinds of other birds were eating their lunches too. Meanwhile the cat was snoozing away the afternoon on the couch inside the house. It's amazing to see how the quail have adapted to the cat's schedule. They know he takes his nap in the middle of the day, so that's when they come to eat and drink.

4. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Boy, that rabbit is about as relaxed as they get, lol. We get them every evening and early morning in my yard, eating the clover and, in early summer, nibbling our hostas.

Never seen a young turkey before. Seen lots of adults, in fact 3 of them ran in front of my car as we were driving through Letchworth State Park on Friday evening.

Despite being in a pretty suburban area, with no shortage of houses, people and traffic, there are a surprising amount of deer that make their way into unfenced yards around here.

5. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    I think this is the first one I’ve seen stretched out too. Lots of them eating, and I’ve found bunnies around. This year I found a clutch of five little ones and I waited them out and the doe finally came in to collect them. She nursed them before moving, that was a first in the wild for me too. Unlike a cat or pig and lies on their side the doe stood over the clutch and they sat up and found their nozzle.

6. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've surprised a flock of young softball-size turkeys before and they were like a covey of quail heading for the tree line. Only much slower moving, lol.
    Nice pics.

7. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's amazing the things a person can see if only they slow down and open their eyes. :) I have never seen a wild rabbit nursing.

8. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You'd have to be looking at night.
    The mother rabbit generally avoids the nest during the day.
    AND... they also don't carry their young. So she will not relocate them to a different nest if something happens. That makes me wonder what the rabbit I saw chasing a crow with a young bunny in its mouth would have done if the crow had dropped it :33:

9. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Mom in the ferns, her bunnies about 15 feet away. One had boogied already, the rest just stayed as still as death until I backed away. One by one they went off to a near buy bush and when the doe screwed up her courage and came to where the bunnies were they all came out and gathered under her. aturtle1.jpg aturtle2.jpg

Primordial, central joe and PAcanis like this.
  10. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice pics

central joe and werewolf won like this.
  11. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Awww.. loved the rabbit hanging out in the background!
    :40::40:

central joe and werewolf won like this.
  12. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    The little ones were just at my feet, the doe was a fair distance off. The cell phone camera does a pretty nice job, for a lens that is not much bigger than a tear drop.

central joe likes this.
  13. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The wife and I took a trip up to Ruidoso NM yesterday. We saw a hen turkey and 4 babies. We couldn't get any pictures as they stayed in some grass that was almost as tall as the babies. All we could see was the tops of their heads as the bobbed along behind mom. Right behind the turkeys were two doe mule deer just out for a afternoon stroll. Sorry no pics.

werewolf won and central joe like this.