Bad trades

Discussion in 'Supporter's Trade Blanket' started by nothinghead, Oct 31, 2012.

1. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don’t think this is the first time I have heard these complaints on this forum unfortunately.

GoDawgs!, Maurice 7, Badey and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What is it with so many knife makers?

It seems like a bunch of them flake out after gaining a bit of popularity!

This kind of story is exactly why I will NEVER prepay for a custom again! I had a bit of a similar experience once.....never again!

xRangerx, Red Wing, John jr and 24 others like this.
  3. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I wouldn’t be as tolerant. I’m curious as to the written agreement that you signed that would permit such delay. If there isn’t an agreement, then no excuse.

GoDawgs!, Maurice 7 and central joe like this.
  4. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow thats disappointing. Hope it all works out

5. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like his stuff, really want an Ironwood scaled model eventually.

6. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bummer. I just saw that AA Forge is a local (to me) knife maker. I like buying local, but given the apparently poor customer service...hmmm.

seasonofthewoods and central joe like this.
  7. Gunlover911

Gunlover911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don’t remember the exact day, why?

8. Gunlover911

Gunlover911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maximum respect brother

central joe, MichaelBear and MrFixIt like this.
  9. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What's the knife in question? I have an AA without a sheath, could possibly work out a deal if you decide to go with a refund.

10. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Right back at you :) Thank you!

11. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Extras, shipping, rare or out of stock?

xRangerx, MrFixIt and central joe like this.
  12. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That’s terrible. Especially since they are such good looking knives.

With him holding off on custom orders(pre paid) but making and selling in stock knives. I’d say they are probably taking the money from custom order and using it to buy materials for in stock knives to stay afloat.

File a report with your CC company(assuming you paid with CC)

13. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I believe it might have been because the items had waiting periods. But it might have been they used to cost more and the seller didn't check what a new one goes for. Plus one item, that I almost bought, was for sale on the manufacturer's website because of the holidays. That put it quite a bit below the asking price of a used one I saw.
    Or maybe, unlike a NIB firearm, some knives and axes appreciate as soon as they are sold once? o_O

No matter, it's always good to compare prices. Most things I see are good deals, some aren't.

gohammergo, MrFixIt and central joe like this.
  14. Gman1051

Gman1051 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Only custom maker i do business with is Swamp Fox Knives. Mostly, I buy what Tim shows on his site.
    I did one special order using my own particulars, right down to sheath.
    He knocked it out in short order.
    Great maker to deal with. Tim Ridge of Swamp Fox Knives, Crossville, TN.

central joe and Mtnfolk Mike like this.
  15. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    If, someone says, "I'll take it" I consider that a 'done deal'. Apparently, @Bassic doesn't understand that. I had a BRKT BushCrafter for sale on the Blanket and he contacted me about buying it. At first he tried to nickel and dime me for $10 over the price. Then, he tried to give me a sob story about he and his wife expecting a child. To which I said, "Not that it's any of my business, but if you've got a 'baby' on the way and $10 means that much to you, maybe you shouldn't be buying a knife? Just say'in." Nevertheless, he went ahead and said, "I'll take it" and then said, "Okay I’ll posted the payment latest Sunday" . To which I agreed and gave him my PP account, even though I knew something wasn't right. Sunday morning rolled around and I received this message:

Mr. Bassic Said, "Morning sir - This message is to let you know that we will not be able to purchased the bark river from you reason been that I was able to try one this weekend and realize that the blade is great but the handle it’s what I had trouble finding a solid grip on it If I buy from you I will have to turn around and sell it I’m thinking the bravo will be the one I’ll be after

I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you I’m willing to send $20 for holding the blade for me

Please let me know"

I responded with the following PM:

"Mr. Bassic...A Man's word is his bond. Something you must have missed in your education. Your word is worth nothing at this point. And, by the way, I wasn't 'holding' the knife for you, I had 'SOLD' it to you. You should have worked through blade length, steel, grind and 'handle' configuration long before you said, "I’ll take it". Your rationale "...trouble finding a solid grip on it", doesn't ring true because Bark River Knives are universally said to have some of the best feeling handles in the business. More likely, it's the money. Something else you should have thought about before agreeing to purchase the knife.

I can't say I'm surprised. I knew something wasn't right when you conveniently didn't give me your real name and then, when you started to 'nickle and dime me' on the price.

I don't want your money, or anything further to do with you. I will NEVER do business with you again because your word means zero and you can't be trusted. I'll make sure others know about your lack of ethics.

Sincerely,

RocketBoy"

Mr. Bassic's last PM to me:

"Completely understand and respect your point
    Merry Christmas

Have a good day !"

Luckly no goods or money were exchanged.

Afterward, I was PM'd by another gentleman who told me he'd had a similar experience with Mr. Bassic. I reviewed the 'Bad Trades' Thread, going back awhile saw another BCUSA Member also had an issue with Mr. Bassic. And, after sending Mr. Bassic the goods, he tried to Crawfish on the deal and offer him less money.

I don't like the man's ethics. He's not honest. Please be careful when dealing with @Bassic. Forewarned, is forarmed.

Best regards,

RB

Swadehead, Lichen, gohammergo and 6 others like this.
  16. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    The other 'odd' thing I discovered regarding @Bassic during my research, he never responds on the WTS Thread, but instead, seems to PM people exclusively. Not a Red Flag on it's own, but 'odd behavior'.

Best regards,

RB

MrFixIt, central joe and Bassic like this.
  17. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like the first person should have posted something in his trader history.
    Now you can.

I despise people who type out I'll Buy It and then try to see if they really want it.

18. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. That's a good idea.

RB

19. Bassic

Bassic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good work we need more people like you to do more investigation on all the bad trades., we have plenty of them !!!

Mean while I’ll continue enjoying the outdoors

PS:I really want you to know that it’s okay to let go.

Again I completly understand your frustration and respect your opinion

Happy New Year

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  20. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

Seems to be a trend

21. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wolf creek forge. @Lisa West was on point with communication and response time until I paid. Then, despite seeing 3 separate logins over 5 days I received no response to my message inquiring as to a ship date or tracking number.
    After sending a message that if communication was not re-established by the 7th day at the time of the last communication I would seek a refund I got a response. To summarize, the reason for no comms was bad Internet service. Ok, that sucks, i get that, but if you are going to SELL products on the internet, you need to be able to COMMUNICATE on the internet. I honestly don't care as to the who or how or why of the difficulty that wolf creek forge has following up after the order, that is not my problem, and if it was explained beforehand I may have accepted it as part of the process of using them as a supplier. But, it wasnt, hence this post. unfortunately, after asking in the sale thread I bought from as to whether anyone had recieved a tracking number or any comms I recieved messages from several members expressing displeasure at past dealings with wolf creek forge.
    I will say that despite the lack of communication the tracking number showed the order was shipped in a timely manner. The product received was as advertised and will make a damn fine knife. I just want either Wolf creek to express up front that they are only able to respond weekly, or to explicitly explain in their for sale threads that despite the lack of follow up all product will ship within an established time frame. I think they produce quality products at a fair price point, there is just a large gap between that stated quality and the quality and timeliness of communications.

At the end of the day I recieved what I ordered, and am satisfied with the product, so this is more a cautionary or informational post for other customers or potential customers.

22. shanko

shanko Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is there anyone else out there waiting to receive gear from Bronson Gross like I am?
    I paid him back in the beginning of November for gear that he has yet to mail to me. Yet he has been on this site many times since, including Jan 5 the last time.
    Anyone know how to call this guy?
    Thanks,
    Sean

central joe and MrFixIt like this.
  23. Broke

Blog Posts:
    He was on awhile back, melted down and went away. Not sure if his threads are still up.

24. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've ordered a number of things from them over the years... to be honest I dont think I've ever gotten a tracking number now that I think about it. Package always showed up though within 2 weeks of ordering or less. I know the area they live has been absolutely abused weather/storm wise over the years and their communication infrastructure in their local has probably suffered greatly for it. Honestly I've probably just gotten so used to never having an issue with a vendor or hobbyist here that I don't worry about it as far as shipping goes. I'm far more cautious with the blanket.

25. Broke

Blog Posts:
    As I stated the item was shipped in a timely manner, it was the multiple logins with no communication over the course of 6 days that set me on edge. As I also stated, had the seller stated up front that they have connection issues, had they stated up front that the item would ship within a few days, I would have rolled with it.
    Looking at current for sale threads from this hobbyist I see mention of Internet connectivity issues, but no other caveat or explanation of what may be expected after the purchase. Hopefully they are communicating that in pm during the ordering process.
    There is room for improvement here, and hopefully they take this as constructive criticism and make changes to how they present themselves to avoid future confusion.

26. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I'm with ya brother.
    I had a very similar experience with a popular seller on one of the gun auction sites. Great communication for the sale, then crickets days after I expected my cashiers check to have arrived. Wouldn't answer his phone, wouldn't return emails... I re-read through every word on the listing to see if I had missed something... checked with the bank and my check had been cashed...

I contacted the site and they must have contacted him. He called me.
    Here his wife had cashed the check and he had left after our last contact to hit the gun show circuit for another week and a half.
    Information that would have been nice to know UP FRONT! Just stick it in the listing description.

I was relatively new to buying online on gun sites and was nervous as heck as to what happened. Plus even though he was an FFL, I didn't realize he was a one man show and his wife was apparently not allowed to drop the gun in the mail for him.

Disclosure is a good thing. But I think some people hide things that might hurt a quick sale.

Lichen, central joe, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  27. shanko

Blog Posts:
    What does that mean he melted down?

Whatever the deal is, he should still stand up and do the right thing. If he sells something to someone he should deliver the goods. I do see that he sold a ton of stuff in the fall right around when he sold the hammock to me; I under who else might not have received what they paid for.

28. Broke

Blog Posts:
    There were some posts earlier in this thread, and I think in another thread where he had apologized prior for not shipping. He came into one of them, and just flipped out due to the people expressing disgust at his lack of followup and apparent dishonesty.

29. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bummer man, I saw that he has been banned too, perhaps for that meltdown. Doesn't mean he shouldn't follow through with his sale. Can you stop payment or file a claim,with PayPal if that's what you used to pay?

central joe, MrFixIt and Broke like this.
  30. pommie

pommie Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    if you paid with paypal goods then put in a claim as i doubt you will be seeing anything soon. After the fit he through i don't think most people will be dealing with him in the future.

31. Broke

Blog Posts:
    The thread he flipped out in is gone. he is not banned.
    @bronson.g didn't you take care of all your outstanding deals?

blind & lost, central joe and MrFixIt like this.
  32. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Agreed.

No matter how good a product is poor communication will cause folks to have a less than stellar perspective of the sellers integrity. If a person plans to run a business communication with customers is equally if not more important than the product itself.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  33. shanko

Blog Posts:
    Why is that thread gone?
    And, more important question is Why is he NOT banned?

I wish there was some easier way to ID dishonest folks on the blanket forum. Ugh!

34. aktatts

aktatts Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have had an experience with her too it took. a while and communication was slow. I was recently trying to buy an adze from her and communication fell off so I bought one elsewhere. Now about the communicating thing I live way off the grid on a satellite connection. I live off the road system in the middle of nowhere and I still communicate just fine if I need to so I really don't see that as a valid excuse. I live on the edge of the planet lol :)

35. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oops, my bad that was bayou bushcraft or something like that. I tried to find him but couldn't.

36. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lisa has recently done exactly what you ask, dropping Vendor status to Hobbyist, and posted an explanation of their internet problems.
    I have bought from Wolf Creek forge, and there was considerable delay due to family illness, flooding from storms and hurricane rain, etc. Communications were at times lousy. But guess what, the work was worth the wait. With small independent crafters, life happens at times. Then they have to either spend time trying to make contact or go in the shop and actually produce the work.

All I can say is my patience was rewarded with work that suited me. If Lisa or Kentucky say they will do something, I trust their word. Time may run long, but you will get your product.

37. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    He is a one man shop so it’s easy to get behind and things like blade show and having a child will set things back. I have a custom on order as well. I contacted him about 5 months after the order and he said he had a delay with getting 52100 steel from his supplier. Which is backed up by other reports and his own posts on blade forums and his site. I have had decent communication but no solid dates on when I’ll get my order. I do know a friend of mine that order around me knows his knives are back from heat treat so that’s a good sign. I am going on 8 months waiting for mine but have a few in the mail that I got from his weekly sales so that should hold me over. He makes really great knives but he needs to work on communication which he has admitted and is trying to work on.

38. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Lots of purchases from Lisa and Kentucky over the years and no issues for the most part. Great products and reasonable shipping, I think I have gotten a tracking number maybe one or two times.

39. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I purchased a knife from Lisa that was supposed to take 4 weeks to make. When she said it was ready, I finished paying for it . Several times I've been told it has shipped but still no knife. The original contact was back in July.

Big Skillet, MrFixIt, Broke and 2 others like this.
  40. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    Guys I've made some mistakes. I know I've been late several times. Communication hasn't always been great but Im trying my best to fix that.
    @backlasher your knife is shipping out today or tomorrow at the latest. I've already sent you an email and pm. . I know you ordered it in July and that's way longer than I told you it would take . No excuses, I'm sorry
    I've earned some criticism, I'll own it..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  41. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can say that I've gotten a few things from Lisa and Phillip. I'm not discounting others issues, but based on her longevity here, I'd say it's the exception, not the norm. Just my .02

42. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never done business Wolf Creek Forge, or Ms. West. But I'll tell you what, anybody that stands-up, takes responsibility and tries to make things right, earns my respect. And, maybe even my business. In this day and age of, "I'm not resposible, it's not my fault, I didn't do it. Until you can prove otherwise'. Which seems to be the current Mantra of the "Snowflake Brigade'. I'm a big believer in 'second-chances', especially when people are willing to 'take responsibility'. With that said, 2-chances is all they get.

JMHO, YMMV.

RB

43. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    So why is Wolf Creek Forge, which has a sub-forum here, mentioned in "Bad Trades"? A quick Google finds no negative.

DavidJAFO, Badey, central joe and 3 others like this.
  44. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Devil is in the details.*

* Devil not included.

TAHAWK and Broke like this.
  45. Aaron600rr

Aaron600rr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've received one of my customs that I ordered in April. I have a lot more coming and Adam has answered all my emails. I'm having him switch steels on my current orders which is now an option if you don't want to wait for the 52100 batch to come in (It's on his website) Great knives, long waits which I can see he is actively trying to fix. His recent group of custom orders he just had up you did not have to pay for the knife in full. Just a $50 deposit and the custom options you wanted...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  46. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have ordered 7 knives from Adam all where supposed to take 5-6 months, all took about a year.
    It's not so different with other makers, some found here.
    It's just part of the custom knife game.
    I have only been burned once.

47. Adam Gray

Adam Gray Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, just thought I would chime in.

I understand your frustration with me. In fact I just put up an update about all of this the other day. - https://aaforge.com/pages/custom-order-status

And just to show that the steel is out of stock as of this post.- http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/shop/52100hc/
    On my site also state- The expected wait time is 6-12 months. Please understand that this is only an ESTIMATED time frame and not an exact quote. The exact time depends on current work load, complexity of the order and availability of some materials at times.

I’ve been very frustrated with the situation and I’m doing everything I can to get the orders finished. The reason for all of the Available knives is because with me not taking orders, and this being my full time job I need to make something to pay my bills and put food on the table. I’ve got a sceudule worked out and I’ve even hired some help to get things done faster.

Being a small operation I’m unfortunately at the mercy of my suppliers at times and I can make knives I cant get supplies for, and I’m not able to order a years worth of steel at a time. I’ve learned my lesson and will never depend on a specialty steel ever again. This is why I’m going back to using O1.

I also completely agree with you guys on the pay up front system. At the time I didn’t know what was best because I had a system that required no money up front and I had a LOT of orders that got canceled by not communicating with me when the knives were done. Not knowing when you’re getting paid makes it very hard to order supplies and keep a schedule. The reason for the limited orders right now isn’t me opening the books. I’m simply getting rid of a few models that I know some people like and I was simply taking the oprotunaty to test the new order system on few orders. I think the depostite orders will work out much better for the future.

As for my comunication. I want to apologize to anyone that has had issues. I’m doing my best to improve it, but I’m one man and get overwhelmed at times with emails. As I told GoDawgs on Facebook, if you don’t get a response just simply call me! I don’t remember him ever calling me over any issue just going public before talking to me.

Like I said earlier, I apologize for the delay. I’m simply letting you guys know where I’m at and what I’m doing to fix it.

For the record, Cody and the crew over at Adventure Swron are a great bunch of guys and I doubt you would be unhappy with thier work.

Adam Gray, of AA Forge Custom Knives

twyych, Broke, JKR and 21 others like this.
  48. Adam Gray

Adam Gray Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve never had this issue before. Would you mind sending it in so I can look t it?

JKR, central joe, BayRat91 and 6 others like this.
  49. Butler Ford

Butler Ford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup! Me as well. With one of the vendors here.

BF

central joe and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  50. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your knives are always worth the wait.

central joe likes this.