Bad weather.. what do you do?

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Nickt123, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Nickt123

Nickt123 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So I have a trip planned out to take a trip to a forest in NE PA and spend 2 nights there, Friday and Saturday.

I’ve planned this trip for a month, got my gear ready, bought supply’s and mapped out a route.
    Now I’m reading that it’s supposed to rain on
    Friday and with possiblilties of raining on sat and Sunday...

As you can imagine this is very frustrating but these things are never a sure thing.
    Just wondering what would you do?
    Call it off and wait to have a better experience in the future or just rough it and hope for the best?

after all nature dosnt wait for no one..

2. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Seems every time I set up my tent it rains. So I might look for a different location to try and out smart the rain but it generally ends up finding me anyway

3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    At my age hibernate, 10 years ago do it. joe

4. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What Joe said...

But for you? Do you have rain gear? Make the best of it. We will watch. :D

5. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have enough experience to have a general sense for how my own skills and equipment will fare in various types of weather. So I try to get as much detail about the forecast and my trip location and use that to inform whether I will be in over my head (or be unable to enjoy the trip at all), or whether there are additional precautions I have to take, or constraints I will face. "It's supposed to rain" alone isn't enough information for me to tell you whether I would go in your case or not, and what modifications I would make to my trip plan/gear if I did end up going.

If the rain makes you miserable, but you own good rain gear, you might want to check out this challenge to expand your own personal comfort: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...go-play-in-the-rain-deadline-extended.211478/

6. caoimhin_s

caoimhin_s Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've stopped letting forecasts dictate my outings, other than to adjust what I pack. I've come to embrace all conditions as part of the adventure. Of course, that philosophy needs to be adjusted based on the needs and experience of others who may be joining you.

7. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    go camping is what you do, that is if you have the gear to match the conditions you are going in. i dont think i ever let weather dictate my desire to camp or be in the woods or even fish for that matter, but i have always been prepared if the weather turned for the worst. if i had not camped in some of those less than ideal conditions i would have missed out on some memerable outings. like the old saying goes, a bad on the lake is better than a good day at work. no different than camping.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. Nickt123

Nickt123 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They’re claiming rain on Thursday night ending Friday morning going to be 55f on friday, then the temp will drop all the way to the 20s on friday night.. that should be interesting :D the Saturday rain forecast just turned into a snow forecast!!
    Maybe things will workout afterall thanks for the link!! Will read

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Adjust your activities accordingly. If I'm set up to go camping, I'm going camping!

I tent camp. I generally have some reading material with me. If there is rain in the forecast, I'll make sure to have enough to read and something to keep busy with. Or I'll throw a poncho on and walk around. You will see and hear things when it's raining out that you might never experience otherwise.

If it's going to be raining, I'd much rather spend the time in my tent than my house. :)

10. sons of scotland

Blog Posts:
    yep... thats no different being around a camp fire sitting at a different locations trying to out smart the smoke, it always finds me.:33:

11. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tough call
    I have bailed and missed beautiful weather
    Have also sat through my share of downpours
    I would go out and decide when you get there

12. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's been so hot and dry here that I'm hoping for some weather. It's supposed to rain here and snow up north this week. If it does, I'm heading out of town to embrace it.

13. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    WEATHER ?

Weather only dictates what I pack.
    It's all good.
    Besides some of best stores revolve around bad weather. For instance :
    It was raining sideways so hard that....
    OR
    So after two days of freezing rain the oak trees where falling all around us and.....
    OR
    It snowed so hard we thought.....

If it where me I would go despite the forecast.

However for you, that is your chose and yours alone.
    Be safe out there.

14. Grouse Hunter

Grouse Hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good chance to practice some skills in less than optimal conditions. Maybe an extra tarp for food and fire prep.

15. Alphaholic

Alphaholic Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the same boat. Planning on camping this weekend with an 80% chance of rain on saturday. My buddy said he is still up for it so i am still going. I need to see how my new smaller tarp does with the rain anyways, i am packing my old one too since i know it works tho! My old tarp is huge so if my small one can keep the rain off me we will set that one up as a shelter by the fire....which i hope we can still get going. Only real difference is I am packing a bit more gear like extra dry clothes, butane torch, muck boots, and one of those frog tog towels. Good luck to ya!

16. sons of scotland

Blog Posts:
    excellent point!

thats why i never let weather predictions spook me out of an outing. now i have been on the other side of the coin with this where the weather prediction was 65 and mostly cloudy and it turned out to be a 50 degree cold rain all day, i learned the hard way once being young and invincible:54:having rain gear and warm weather hats, gloves, ect, is always in my pack regardleess of forecast.

17. Nickt123

Nickt123 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the input guys!
    This really is an awesome community:)

I’ve decided to go either way and make the best of it,
    Maube practice fire making in wet conditions and read some books..

I will make a video and take pictures of my trip to share with you guys!!
    Thanks

18. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Excellent, please do report back so Joe and I know we had the right answer. :rolleyes:

19. Bobsdock

Blog Posts:
    fatcat55, central joe, Kreger and 3 others like this.
  20. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    :eek: I just follow Joe. The old guys know, you know... :14:

21. Bobsdock

Blog Posts:
    Right on brother !
    ENJOY !
    I'll be looking forward to seeing a your trip report.

22. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found the more I slant my gear for a particular weather pattern, the more likely I encounter the opposite. Trudge into the woods completely waterproofed and it won't rain a drop. And conversely, go light and dry and always get soaked. I'd suggest you pack yourself to be rainproof and then enjoy the balmy, unusually dry weather you embark. ;)

23. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Way to go! It's good to hear that. :)
    I have a feeling you are going to have a great time and great stories to tell about it. And don't forget pics. We love pics!

Stay dry, warm, and well fed. The rest will work itself out.

24. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing" Ernest Shackleton.

If you're roughing it, you're doing it wrong.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...n-no-spoon-falling-trees.217090/#post-3716766

Don't let the weather keep you indoors... you learn more about yourself and 'skills' under duress... sure, don't put yourself in a deadly position... but slightly inclement weather in the Northeast is no reason to stay indoors. When I was a Boy Scout, we camped on a fixed weekend every month, rain, shine, snow, or frost... it was good for us and made us better campers.

25. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's super subjective to your skill level and gear but I add a little travel umbrella and between that my tarp and rain shell nothing has to get wet, even when packing.

It's a good test for the right skill level.

26. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    100%

NevadaBlue, Sinjin and central joe like this.
  27. Longhunter1761

Longhunter1761 Flatlander Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We just holler "RABBIT" when that happens. Then it finds someone else. Still a great mystery why that works. :44:

28. 1773

1773 Guide

Blog Posts:
    There have been far more opportunities missed waiting for it to rain that have been cancelled due to it actually raining so go, if it is to nasty you can always come back home, or adjust camp accordingly.

But with that said, if I am not having fun I will not be out there, a good portion of my work involves being out in nasty weather often in bad conditions so if I am on my time and it is not fun I go home, I have nothing to prove but just because the weather is bad doesn't mean it won't be fun if that makes any sense at all, it all depends on the given circumstances.

29. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Take on the challenge! its more fun than you think, as long as you've prepared for it

30. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I do most of my camping in NE PA, what trail are you planning to hit? I may be able to offer some advice on good spots to camp if I've been there!

I say go and enjoy it... Last summer myself and 2 others planned a trip for months in central PA... We were from CT, Philly, and Pittsburgh so it was agreed long ahead of time that no matter the forecast called for... We would go.

Our trip would become a story that's been told and will be told many times over... We hiked 30 miles in 4 straight days of rain... Much of the trail was essentially like hiking upstream in a creek. One of my buddies was on his first ever trip and he brought 2 pairs of blue jeans and a thick cotton hoodie! Our feet were soaked whenever not at camp (thank god for Crocs!)....

Anyhow- my advise is to be prepared but don't cancel... Take your trip as it comes to you...

Bring a tarp! Wear pants that dry fast (they will get drenched on the trail even if it's not currently raining-when you get to camp and start up your fire they will dry) have a quality rain jacket, even if that means grabbing something off the racks at Wally world (you should have seen us after 4 days! One of us was drenched but half covered by a crappy poncho, another[me] was sporting a pvc cheapo rain jacket that got shredded by branches and was half made of gorilla tape by mile 30, and the 3rd of us had proper rain gear and was fine!)

At it's worst, a rainy trip will give you experience on an exponential level and might suck at times but you will look back fondly on it and carry lessons learned forever...

31. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Go. Just do it. That is more than a catch phrase.
    I actually planned to go out in a thunderstorm weekend before last and had a great time, solo.
    This weekend is calling for rain but I may go again anyways, and solo again if gf doesn’t want to participate.
    Adverse weather conditions just makes the trip more challenging which is by default more rewarding.
    More planning might be in order, or at least different planning but the reward is waiting.

I’ll be watching for your report and if I do go this weekend you can be sure I will report as well.
    Do it. Safely and carefully, but do it.

32. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wouldn't hurt to check with someone like sheriffs office to make sure your camping area isnt in a flash flood zone.

Personally I dont mind if it rains some, but if it rains the whole time, and I'm wet and cold and bored and miserable, I'd pack in. Depends. And warmer months are better for rain thsn colder ones.

Dogrobber, NevadaBlue and Bobsdock like this.
  33. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just head out.
    See what comes and adapt. Push yoursefl a little. It's only a bit of rain, right?
    It will be a challenge and the feeling of satisfaction from mastering it will be a lot more then when on a fine, sunny everything went perfect kind of trip.

Bobsdock and Nickt123 like this.
  34. Nickt123

Nickt123 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Going to be camping up on the west end of the thunder swamp trail system.. I plan on hiking for about 3-4 miles then setting up camp

Bobsdock and MommaJ like this.
  35. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's the part I haven't done yet, planning this summer.. I know the offshoot on the NE trend from painters swamp to big Bear swamp!

Bobsdock, Nickt123 and MommaJ like this.
  36. stajanleafs

stajanleafs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Head out and learn. Pack accordingly.
    On expeditions, I've camped in temps upwards 120F and as low as -40F and the nearest human could be hundreds of miles away. The human body is remarkably resistant, provided you pack the appropriate gear and take the appropriate precautions.
    On the extreme ends, you're inching towards of a life and death situation, so know your limits and let your skills dictate your course of action.

37. Timberdogz

Timberdogz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of good advice on this thread. Remember, it’s NE PA, if you don’t like the weather, wait a few hours , it will change! That said, I’d selectively pack things that will prepare you for cold, wet, ice and snow conditions . Make sure your gear can handle what’s coming. Maybe throw in some chemical heat packs as an emergency source of warming up. Plan an escape route and make sure somebody knows where your headed and how long you intend to be there. Otherwise go! Attitude is everything! I recommend bringing a good book.... waiting out bad weather is always better if you have something to do!

38. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With more experience, you'll have a better idea when to ditch your plans due to weather concerns, I would advise to err on the side of caution if the weather concerns involve danger to oneself or others that may have to effect a rescue. If it's just a question of sitting in a tent reading a book because it's raining, that's an easy decision- go.

If it's hiking into a remote area with bad weather, then that's a completely different scenario.

I've been planning on a 20-ish mile snowshoe loop in the Elkhorns, bagging two peaks and spending the night roughly half way in. I've been keeping an eye on the weather for the last two weeks, not my local weather in town, but a zone forecast for the actual area I'll be traveling. Unfortunately the forecast has been steadily degrading. My biggest concern is the wind (with snow) as much of my travel is above tree line and very exposed. Blizzard conditions up high are nothing to take lightly.

I've made the decision to try for a shorter loop on Saturday with no overnighter. If the conditions are horrid when I get high, I'll bag the loop and simply retrace my steps and hike back out. There will be another weekend :)

[​IMG]

pab1, Seeker and gohammergo like this.