Bamboo spice case

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Quinlan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Long time coming this project, there's has been some progress lately and I am very excited about it. I've decided to make a walk through thread. I am a sucker for start to finish projects. :rolleyes:

Inspiration for this is @NevadaBlue and his own awesome spice kit.

So, here it goes.

When visiting my family in Greece 10 months ago I did as I always do some work in our garden and plot of land. One of the chores is checking the growth of a wall of bamboo I planted years ago.

1.jpg 2.jpg

It needs constant attention otherwise it will take all over the whole plot of land.

3.jpg
    I am (figuratively) banging my head on a wall now for throwing away a very considerable quantity of bamboo, some of the poles of decent diameter and so many possible projects lost...:(

4.jpg
    I brought a few pieces with me, wanted to try and make a bamboo pipe (again @NevadaBlue is to blame for the inspiration;):p). I did that, and the rest of it I didn't have any plans for, until I hit upon @NevadaBlue's incredible spice case. I knew I wanted to try and make one for me and what a cool idea it would be if I used the bamboo as building material.

So I started splitting each piece into quarter sections

5.jpg
    And this is what I ended up with.

6.jpg

Sanding the sides flat and square, so I would be able to join the individual pieces forming the walls of the case.

7.jpg

And flattening the inner surface, necessary after splitting the pieces and also to make a more uniform thickness throughout all of them.
    8.jpg

The spice bottles I will use, via amazon UK.
    10.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    winter1857, goon, Nakadnu and 23 others like this.
  2. Caveman Cracker

Caveman Cracker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    ‘Mornin Sir!

:4:

Looks good Christos.

Another use for bamboo in quantity is for a wall covering. I found rolls of the stuff, made into 8’ high by 8’ wide rolls using wire. It makes an amazing wall. Even 4’ high would be good. Since it is wired together and can be rolled, it can be used in an apartment and moved when you move too. Just an idea.

Looking forward to the rest of the story. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hello, Christos! Looking forward to seeing your work...

5. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    I needed them in order to start drawing the design in order to find out if I had enough material for it.

11.jpg

According to my calculations I do. I need 563.04 square centimeters and I have close to 700.

12.jpg

However, I am a visual creature and I wanted to make sure that my calculations were correct, So I made a replica out of carton.

14.jpg 15.jpg

Good news, I do have enough for the walls, bottom and lid. Won't be much left for the inner partition walls between the bottles, those will be done with another material.

I divided the pieces into the separate walls that will be forming the case.
    19.jpg

I have started fooling around with an idea of mine. In addition to the superglue fixing the pieces together, I thought of pouring some resin on the inner surface in an effort to kill two birds with one stone, The resin will strengthen the bonds between the pieces forming the walls and also provide an even and smoother (once sanded) inner surface. I save up a lot of the bamboo wood dust from the sanding effort thinking of mixing it with the resin, out of curiosity. Resin is clear, I want to see if mixing it with the sawdust will look better.

9.jpg

I read somewhere that mixing foreign materials with resin isn't always a good idea, if said materials have retained some moisture. So I put it in the oven. Not to bake it, at 50°C for a few hours to ensure that it is dry enough.

13.jpg

And first test. It is said that resin has a way of sipping even through the tiniest cracks. My theory is that by gluing the pieces first with superglue, I would deny this possibility to the poured resin on top.

17.jpg 18.jpg

I could have used more bamboo dust in the mix, this will take some fine tuning, as its my first time playing with resin. All I have to do now is wait until tomorrow to see what I have made, allowing for the resin to cure for 24 hours.

Regards,

Christos

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      124.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    winter1857, Nakadnu, ugar-6 and 20 others like this.
  6. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Apologies for the confusing start. I tend to create the thread first and then populate it with text and photos, especially so if I plan on posting a lot of those. :p

Regards,

Christos

7. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like that bamboo with the tightly spaced nodes. Some would make a nice handle for a knife or machete with a rat tail tang.

8. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looking good Christos!

9. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Eagerly awaiting the rest...:54:

10. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    the use of wood flour(extremely fine sanding dust) w/ epoxy resin as a filler as well as a bonding agent is common in the boat building industry(both commercial and private)

the slury is quite strong when epoxy is the resin used and even when it bridges a 1/4" gap it tends to be stronger than the wood being glued/bonded

it has been found beneficial to coat surfaces to be bonded w/ unthickened resin prior to using the thickened mixture

doing this reduces the tendency of the wood(bamboo in this case) can leech the resin from the mix leaving a somewhat dry bond

another suggestion would be to consider using fiberglass tape used in joining drywall imbedded in your thickened resin sury to give better hold between the individual pieces of bamboo

in boat building the fiberglass tape is used on both sides of a joint where for this application only one side should do well enough

plyjnt5.gif

as a matter of fact entire boats are being built w/ this method of joinery(no metalic fasteners)

from small individual craft up to and including small cruising boats

looking fwd to seeing this container come to fruition

11. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    sections w/ those closely spaced nodes can frequently be found low on the stalk leaving the upper portion for making fishing poles ;-)

12. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good looking work young fellar. joe

13. USMCPOP

Blog Posts:
    Bamboo is quite variable in growth habit. The cold-tolerant stuff near me might be about 3 species, mostly similar but for size. I did find a couple small ones on the edge of a stand where the basal part grew back and forth like a writhing snake in the first few feet. A couple of inches either way, though the nodes were still far apart.

There are apparently over 10,000 species of Bamboo. I always liked the green/yellow striped stuff we had in our yard in Thailand. Some of the clumping stuff gets pretty gnarly.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks good keep up the good work.
    Prov 27:17

15. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Thank you everyone for your replies. :)

Much information to digest as well, the Fiberglass tape and the bamboo species. I knew there were thousands of them, but i never imagined they grew so big!

Currently I am still waiting for the resin to solidify completely in order to sand and see how it will look. There was some very limited sipping, so my gluing wasn't very good, but it is miniscule and I can work it out afterwards.

The 12 hour mark has passed and I already see hardening, but it is still sticky, so curing is incomplete.

@NevadaBlue I am using superglue to join the pieces. What did you use to join the pieces to your spice kit?

Now I am on the hunt for a suitable piece of steel and a ball hammer to make a spoon like tool. Cold hammering, no forge, that's where I am at.

Regards,

Christos

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Really nice project. You are very thorough/meticulous.

17. USMCPOP

Blog Posts:
    These are some new shoots from a giant timber bamboo. One type of bamboo was recorded to grow 35 inches in one day.

I misquoted about the number of species. Bamboo is a sub-family in the true grass family Poaceae, which is a large family with over 10,000 species. In the tribe Bambuseae also known as bamboo, there are 91 genera and over 1,000 species.

[​IMG]

Here's my kinked walking stick. Just about perfect. It's pretty straight overall. Notice the Glock grip angle.

upload_2019-1-11_8-58-36.jpeg upload_2019-1-11_8-59-2.jpeg

Edit: Sorry about the clutter in the background. The boxes under the tables and couches are just a few dozen knives/machetes and a few thousand rounds of ammunition that came in recently. But, hey, it IS our recreation room.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  18. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Wow, very impressive that timber bamboo! Are they offshoots from those large green poles on the right side of the photo? Looks like Jurassic Park, how do they cope with it?

Nice walking stick. :dblthumb:

Regards,

Christos

19. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    An interesting fact about bamboo life cycles. There are over 120 species and they all have different life cycles. Some up to 120 years long. But when a spices dies, it dies all over the world at the same time and then regenerates. Look up the bamboo shortage in the building trade in japan a few years ago. It was/is used for scaffolding in the building industry. joe

20. USMCPOP

Blog Posts:
    bacpacjac, ugar-6, NevadaBlue and 7 others like this.
  21. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Christos, 12 hours @ this time of year north of the equator is just a beginning

several of our suppliers here in The Colonies sell different speed hardeners and i woud suspect your suppliers do too

my favorite as a slow old fat man is what they call TROPICAL SLOW which can take 2± days to cure in choice weather and even longer at this time of year

i do keep "slow" & "fast" hardeners on hand butt only use them for smaller jobs and when i'm in a big hurry

when you've used epoxy long enough you will enjoy having curing speed options

be patient

22. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Lots of awesome information on bamboo, thank you everyone for their input. :)

@66drifter, what you say makes a lot of sense. Patience is the name of the game. I think i am in love already with epoxy, though.

Took it about one and a half days to fully cure, but the test pieces subject is rock hard now. I wouldn't use it for knife scales, but it seems indestructible.

It needs a bit of sanding to flatten the inner surface again, but this is definitely the way for this project.

Regards,

Christos

23. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    @Quinlan , I used rubber cement to attach the leather to my spice box.

24. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Small progress. I cut the pieces forming the walls to the approximate length.

20190123_221759.jpg

The small bits leftovers will form the lid and their leftovers don't know but won't throw away.

Regards,

Christos

winter1857, bacpacjac, ugar-6 and 6 others like this.
  25. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

My first attempt at epoxy resin application wasn't 100% perfect, although quite close.
    20190131_191542.jpg

Unavoidable, for I wasn't going for perfect sanding, so after gluing with superglue, tiny openings remained and the resin has a tendency to slipped through even the tiniest spaces.

My solution is double sided sewing tape to make sure that gaps are sealed as much as possible and then a bit of wood glue to make sure 100%, being sure that with the tape there won't be any wood glue leak underneath.

20190130_232325.jpg 20190131_190841.jpg

The wood glue will turn clear once fully cured, so the application of a layer of resin to make the walls stronger will succeed without any leakage.

Regards,

Christos

26. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

A little detour, although still loosely related to the bamboo nature of the thread.

I was in London yesterday, we were visiting my SIL and we went out for food in the afternoon at a Japanese restaurant. Great food and super affordable prices.

20190202_191513.jpg 20190202_192108.jpg 20190202_192409.jpg 20190202_192619.jpg 20190202_192917.jpg 20190202_193150.jpg 20190202_194125.jpg 20190202_195030.jpg 20190202_195056.jpg 20190202_200128.jpg

4 people, between us 43 plates. I had to stop at 11, for I am still not 100% out of a nasty stomach bug...:(

27. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Anyway, I don't eat with the chopsticks, ever. I could learn to do so i suppose, but i find it inconvenient and not in correlation with my eating style which is more like shoveling.:D

But I did like their chopsticks. Dark brown bamboo sticks. So after dinner I went to the Japanese manager and after complimenting her for her restaurant and it's food, I politely asked if I could purchase a set of their chopsticks.

She told me they didn't do that, but she offered to give me for free a used set. All the same to me!

20190202_225324.jpg

They will make a great addition to my spice case and the contrast will be awesome I think. :)

Regards,

Christos

28. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Interesting... I've never been to a restaurant where chopsticks were reused. Chopsticks around here are low quality, unfinished pieces akin to plastic silverware!

29. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

All panels are sealed in their mold frames, ready to pour the resin in them.

20190210_132707.jpg

Middle left side frame is the lid panel. You can see a dark brown frame around the green bamboo. Not wood, still staying true to the bamboo nature of the project. It's brown bamboo, from two chopsticks from a Japanese sushi restaurant I visited last week in London.

I like the contrast and the notion of having bamboo pieces on my bamboo spice case coming from a quality restaurant. I think of it as creating good carma for the future cooking to which this case will contribute. :D

On a different note, I had no idea that bamboo can be found in such a dark color. It's dark brown throughout, not just superficially.

Regards,

Christos

30. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Resin poured in today. Now to wait 48 hours. It says 24, but it took between 24-48 to completely cure with the test piece.

20190211_054638.jpg

The large panel on the left is of darker colour because I experimented with a larger quantity of bamboo dust in the 2-part epoxy resin.

Can't wait for it to cure so that I can start the assembly!

I am running ahead of myself, I know. There's still a lot of work to do.

Regards,

Christos

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  31. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

What's on the menu tonight? Well, this being a bamboo project, nothing better than bamboo sticks in the oven. :D

20190211_213637.jpg

I was thinking about what to use for the partition walls between the spice bottles, for my bamboo supply wasn't large enough to cover that as well.

Wanting to stay the course with the sole building material of this project, I geared up for a night trip to a nearby bamboo forest.

20190211_205814.jpg 20190211_205957.jpg 20190211_211006.jpg
    :rolleyes::D

It so happens that a few bamboo offshoots have escaped from my neighbour's garden under his wall and into my building's communal garden. Thin enough to easily make the partition walls with a bit of glue and sanding.

Being the impatient one that I can be, I put them in the oven in the hope of speeding up the process of drying.

Regards,

Christos

32. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Those bamboo sticks are perfect pipe stem size. :p

33. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Exactly @NevadaBlue! I realised that cutting them. Already ready with a clear shaft in the center if i drill through the nodes. I will definitely keep a few for that purpose. :dblthumb:

Regards,

Christos

34. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

@NevadaBlue, whenever you get the time, could you please weigh your spice case without the bottles? I want to compare with mine. My panels are ready, epoxy 100% cured, but all together they weigh 464 gr.

Regards,

Christos

35. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    @Quinlan , without bottles and scoop, the box weighs 96.1 grams or 3.39 ounces.

Quinlan, ExAF1N1 and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  36. USMCPOP

Blog Posts:
    I think those chopsticks are actually made from Palm, like black or toddy palm.

upload_2019-2-16_13-56-29.png

37. Quinlan

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

:eek:
    I am building a bunker compared to you!:30:

Well, this won't do for outdoor use. I'll sand the epoxy more, but there is a limit to how much, for the epoxy is what's holding them together really.

If it ends up being too heavy in the end (it already is) it will have to stay at home. :(

Next one after this will be a different approach.

I think you are right, they look exactly the same, thanks!

Regards,

Christos

Jonah L. Archer and NevadaBlue like this.
  38. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I’m an ultra lite camper. :p

So, what about peeling the bamboo? Use just the outer skin for the walls of the case.

Look at these bottles... It is all I can do to keep from ordering some. Pic from American Science and Surplus.

upload_2019-2-16_12-29-41.jpeg

https://www.sciplus.com/amber-bottles-with-corks-64132-p

$6.50 for 10

Jonah L. Archer and winter1857 like this.
  39. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    If you order from sciplus.com, there is a coupon code good for 10% off

CHEEKY is the code

Also, get the glow in the dark back scratcher for FREE. Makes a great pocket bellows.

Jonah L. Archer likes this.