Bandana Multi-Purpose Pocket Kit, MOVING IT UP

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Acropolis5, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Acropolis5

Acropolis5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I first mentioned this “kit” in the thread on EDCing tape and said I’d do a separate post on it , so here goes:

I’d like to say that this “kit” was entirely my idea, but that would be a lie. Plastic wrapping a handkerchief is an old practice in urban police departments. But, I like to think I’ve refined the idea and it’s uses. I’ve posted this in other forums and people really like it. It is so popular among friends and family, that I give them as presents for the holidays. It is a valued part of my own EDC.

I start with a well washed, 27” x27” cotton bandana, in bright yellow. To assemble I use an ironing board , a HOT dry iron, ( Sterile) Gerber Breast Milk Bag, 4”x 21/8” cut piece of clear plastic report cover wrapped in 4” of 2” Gorilla Tape, a roll of Gorilla Tape, a sharp scissors, a book or small cutting board & some hand sanitizer.

To begin , I hot iron the top and sides of the ironing board cover to sterilize it. I use sanitizer on my hands and the iron’s handle. I start ironing the bandana. About 1/2 fits on the board, the rest dangles. I iron it long and HOT , moving it up, so the whole bandana is basically sterilized. Then I start to fold it over on itself, HOT ironing and pressing down on both sides of each fold. I iron it down the pocket size , usually about 6 creases on long side and then 4 crease, folding that rectangle. ASAP, I slide it into the breast milk bag, press out the air ( use a book or small cutting board as a press) and seal the bag. You now have an almost sterile, certainly aseptic , vacuum sealed bandage / compress.

Next step is to cut some 1” strips off the Gorilla Tape roll. Use the strips to tape down the folded top of the bag, to reinforce/ cover all 4 edges and 2” strip on the middle of theflat side ,without the taped down top fold. ( This arrangement allows some uncovered bag so the police / TSA to see its a bandana and not a lid of hash.) On the flat side with the folded bag top, lay the flat roll of Gorilla Tape. Use 1/2” strips of tape to secure the flat roll to the bag.

So, what you now have is a good , rugged , flat, pocket- sized trauma pressure dressing & and the means ( i.e. the tape roll) to secure it in place. You can also use the tape and bag plastic to seal a sucking chest wound and the tape alone to seal exit wounds,. The tape can also be used to stave off or treat blisters to hands & feet and for whatever else duct type tape is good. The “kit” can also be used as a sling, smoke mask, hobo carry sack, signal flag, towel, sweat band, & to blow ur nose. Finally, I carry it in my front pocket against my wallet. It would take the greatest of all pickpockets to slide out that wallet without me taking instant notice as he snagged! I carry extra “ kits” in my EDC bag.

OPTIONAL: If you are not going to carry the kit pressed in your pocket or bag, you can slide a Wet Ones wipe and a foil packet of antibiotic ointment under the flat roll. Don’t use this option if you pla to pocket carry. My own experience teaches it can get messy if pressed too hard.

Try it. I can almost guarantee you’ll like it. Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Winterhorse and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  2. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Why go through all of the hassle to make a improvised device?

H&H Primed Gauze and duct type tape of preference wrapped around a credit card would accomplish the same thing.

Primed Gauze
    Would be much more effective with bandaging & splinting.
    Plus you now have cordage.

The Woodsrunner and Primordial like this.
  3. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am reluctant to accept your suggestion that you’ve sterilized a handkerchief with an electric iron.

Having worked in experimental labs where we performed surgeries and DID sterilize instruments in a pressurized high temperature autoclave, I am skeptical.

The Woodsrunner and Primordial like this.
  4. Acropolis5

Acropolis5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Medic 17 and NJStricker, thanx for your comments. I’ve posted this kit on many forums over the years. You both are the first to negatively critique it. Thank-you. It is always healthy to have one’s views challenged. Allow me to respond and please reply to my response.

Medic17: No argument that for a gunshot or deep puncture wound, primed gauze and duct tape are probably more useful. Note that you can wound pack with this cloth, although not as easily as with primed gauze. Based upon my years of experience as a volunteer EMT, serving on a busy urban emergency ambulance service, few wounds in real life are deep punctures. A compress bandage and wrap, such as my kit , allows covering , binding and closing burns, slashes, cuts and evulsions, for which the primed gauze is much less useful. That’s why trauma kits are largely composed of trauma bandages and wrap, e.g. Israeli Bandages, the baseline gold-standard trauma bandage. Further, your gauze/ duct tape set-up will not serve for all the non- bandage uses applicable for my kit.

NJStricker: I didn’t say it was “sterile”. I said, “...almost sterile, certainly aseptic...” and I stand by that assertion. Common household irons easily support a temperature of 350F. to 400F. +, on the linen and cotton high settting. That is more than enough heat to sterilize a freshly laundered thin , unused cotton bandana, lying on an ironing board cover which was itself hot ironed, just prior to laying the bandana on it. Especially as the bandage is pressed/ ironed , slowly and repeatedly , as it is folded to pocket size. I dropped a bit of water on my heated iron, just to see what would happen. The result was the droplet was instantly boiled off in a puff of steam. True my ( sanitized) finger touch , to nudge the compress into the bag,voids true sterility, but do you challenge my characterization as aseptic?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    LongChinJon and Winterhorse like this.
  5. NJStricker

Blog Posts:
    Aseptic and sterile are synonymous. Your assertion is that a person can prepare a microbe free cotton handkerchief as a bandage.

Having worked in conditions where sterile/aseptic conditions were a necessity, I find your sssertion laughable and downright recckless advice.

The Woodsrunner likes this.
  6. Acropolis5

Acropolis5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Let me try this one more time. I concede that the use of the word asceptic is & was incorrect. I was trying to convey the concept of very clean , but just short of sterility. In fact I said, “..almost sterile” This kit has worked as an emergency bandage , without ill result, many times over many years. I still stand by my kit.

Even the gold standard trauma bandage, the Israeli Bandage and it’s equivalents, are no longer technically sterile when opened and when placed upon a dirty wound. But that doesn’t make their. use either “laughable”or “reckless”.

At the scene of the Boston Marathon bombing, bystanders, many with combat experience, employed shirts and bandanas as bandages and tourniquets. They saved many lives & limbs, albeit , their bandaging materials were not strictly asceptic. The majority of ( labeled “ sterile”) bandaging materials in first-aid-kits, is almost certainly no longer sterile after sitting inside it’s paper sleeve, in the kit, for extended periods. Does that mean it’s not useable because it is not quite sterile, only very clean?

You have every justification to correct my misuse of the word, asceptic, to express something which is only very clean, just short of sterile. However your use of the demeaning and accusatory wording , “laughable” & “reckless” is nothing more than scaremongering hyperbole. Transmission ends.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    superpaco likes this.
  7. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm having trouble visualizing the finished product, are there any accompanying pics?

For myself I carry a "clean" bandana in a ziploc within easy access in my small kit bag. It's with sunscreen and lip balm. It doesn't replace anything in my fak, but it also doesn't get used for any of the casual or dirty jobs that my pocket bandana gets into.

8. NJStricker

Blog Posts:
    So take a freshly laundered handkerchief, stick it in a ziplock bag, and you’re done.

Medic17 and EternalLove like this.
  9. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I see the value in improvising. A water container is needed. You use a condom in your wallet. Or, there is an injury with bleeding and without a FAK handy, you use a clean banda or rip off the lower portion of a t shirt and use that to apply pressure. That is doing what you can with you have at that moment.

Purposely bringing condoms for water, ripped t shirts or in this case a bandana for a bandage, duct tape for sealing woulds and covering blisters. That is not improvising. That is poor planning. The Marathon runners and bystanders in Boston did not expect to be using t shirts to stop bleeding that day. They used what they had on hand. If an EMT/medic/police/fire shows up with a FAK filled with t shirts, bandanas, and duct tape: It would be reckless, irresponsible, unprofessional, and kinda wierd. Bring proper bandages if that is your responsibility and you expect that they may be needed. That's what they are designed for. To be used by professionals. Unless you think your kit is superior to Isreali bandages. And, it may be. In which do what works best for you. Bring bandaids for blisters. Not duct tape. That will leave a sticky mess on your sensitive skin that can be painful to remove

I to am curious as to how this looks and how it is applied. So far it just sounds like a clean bandana with a plastic baggy and duct tape.

Also, do breastmilk storage bags have nipples? If so, it may not be a bad way to transport beer into the woods.

Medic17, Glock Holiday and NJStricker like this.
  10. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    @Acropolis5
    I am glad this forum is the first forum to negatively critique a bad idea.
    It means that people are thinking, sharing their experience, and not following people blindly.

You are planning to carry first aid items, but said first aid items are improvised.
    Improvised has its place, but starting from a improvised kit is setting yourself up for failure.
    If your next lesson involves tampons and maxi pads in your first aid kit, I will tell you to stop using 1980's Guns & Ammo magazines for reference learning material.

From your description you have to learn how to bandage.
    Placing a 4x4 or abd pad over something and just taping it on is not bandaging, its simply covering a wound up. If a wound just needs to be covered up, it is not a life threatening bleed. One could argue that the injury you are describing needs to be addressed minimally if at all pre-hospital environment when faced with more serious injuries.

If you are using the above mentioned device while preforming your duties to the public you should have your volunteer status terminated. It is not what you were taught in school, and it is not the level of care you are expected to carry out in the field. You are practicing below the standard of care, placing your patient at risk, and if a incident occurred a lawyer would have a field day with you.
    (Which places not only you at risk but your entire organization.)

The Israeli Dressing is not a "gold standard" trauma dressing.
    Most widely issued to American troops, sure.
    There are very few EMS agencies that use that dressing.
    Cost and training prohibition alone.

Personally I think the Israeli dressings stink.
    I have seen quite a few of them fail, the failure is easy to replicate.
    They are expensive and complicated to use for the untrained rescuer.

There are many forms of bandages and dressings.
    The "gold standard" would be one that the individual or unit has been trained on and they can properly apply. The "gold standard" is getting the bleeding to stop and not causing any further harm. Some have done this with the simpler forms of bandaging materials while others are trained on a more modern prefabricated device. With that said, most that are trained on the newer prefabricated devices learn the basics first.

Your "years of experience as a volunteer EMT, serving on a busy urban emergency ambulance service".
    Personally, I find that statement laughable.

I could post my resume too, but I will let my rationalization speak for itself.

11. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with eternal love. We live in a first world country. We can buy all sorts of medical supplies for cheap. But, your ideas are good to know and if the grid goes down

The Woodsrunner and Winterhorse like this.
  12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I try hard to avoid sucking chest wounds.

13. NJStricker

Blog Posts:
    Prevention is the best medicine

Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  14. Acropolis5

Acropolis5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gentlemen: Once again, TRY READING THE ENTIRE INITIAL POST. My bandana kit is not intended to solely serve as an improvised bandage on an open wound. The kit was designed for IMPROVISATION when a larger more specialized kit is unavailable. It serves multiple purposes, some , but by no means all of which, were listed in the post. It enhances, by combination, the pre-existing and varied utility of a banadana, 4’ of Gorilla tape and a plastic breast milk bag.

The multipurpose aspect is why I pocket carry the kit versus the more specialized, but less multi-functional Israeli bandage. ( Which , contrary to poster’s denial, is the Gold Standard . It or copies of it, are employed by almost all of the military and paramilitary forces in the Western World .). My kit is an EDC item, carried daily on my person, often in situations where it is impractical or impossible to carry my larger EDC emergency and first-aid-kit. In that role it has, for many years, served me and others well. I do not doubt it will continue its utility , in the future.

As to the base personal attack and the rhetorical straw men set up and knocked down by one poster, little need be said. He critiques uses and situations not cited by me as the circumstances of actual or proposed use. More hyperbole from another loud, unlearned, ill informed , wanna-be media star. Tell me, ungentle poster, what slender, lightweight everyday pocket kit have you or can you design to better serve the purposes I’ve enumerated?

15. DarrylM

Blog Posts:
    Here's a pic of my "clean" bandana. Laundered, folded, bagged.
    20180708_112939.jpg
    Again I would ask for a pic of how you carry a clean bandana and a significant portion of tape.

Winterhorse likes this.
  16. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    Now who is slandering...
    I am sorry you are butt hurt from a valid rebuttal.

If you feel my post is inappropriate, feel free to report it.
    (It is the the little icon "Report" in the bottom left of message.)

Improvising is great when you are not prepared.
    Again having a improvised item dedicated to first line medical is foolish.
    If you are going to build a kit, have the right tool for the job.

17. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to see a picture of the set up as well.... curiosity and all. And gentlemen, take some estrogen to counter the unhealthy level of testosterone on display here.... just sayin.

superpaco and Winterhorse like this.
  18. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    15310802985411815691754.jpg Well not to stir the pot, but here's my bandana.. it's not sterile.. at all

19. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    LMAO!! Think I might just be calling you spoony from now on!!

20. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Difference of opinion is healthy and I enjoy hearing both or multiple views on any subject but bickering doesn’t become us.
    I thought the OPs idea was a pretty good one. It gives one some tape, a multi use clean bandana and a bag in a neat package.

NevadaBlue and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  21. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Seriously tho I wasn't taking sides, I just saw bandana and happened to have mine around my neck, then seen it was getting heated and thought I'd try to throw it off a little...

22. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I understood that. My post was trying to do the same thing.
    Sort of like asking, “What’s your favorite color “.

NevadaBlue and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  23. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    I was just trying to figure out how to explain to the wife why I would e ironing a bandana.... :4:

24. DarrylM

Blog Posts:
    It helps to set the wrinkles, just so.

25. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    But, a real cowboy doesn’t wear his hot bandana off to the side, always in front or back. :14:

Winterhorse and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  26. NJStricker

Blog Posts:
    Here is an instructional video on the multiple uses of a bandana.

Medic17 likes this.
  27. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the light humor.

I completely get that if you have the confidence to go out into the world saying-
    "I do not need a medical kit." - I have a pair of boot laces, a bandanna, and I can scrounge some willow along the way.
    More power to you.

If an injury were to happen, and all you need is t-shirt and duct tape.
    Cool I get it.

By all means, learn how to bandage with a bandanna.
    It is a valuable skill.

If you are going to go out of the way to make a medical kit, make a dedicated kit.
    Stop improvising.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Gii shi kan dug, Jason and NJStricker like this.
  28. NJStricker

Blog Posts:
    The concept is ok. But it’s all based on the (false) assumption that you’re creating a sterile bandage in your home laundry room. Without that main point you pretty much have a handkerchief and a roll of duct tape.

We are basically discussing whether or not it’s a good idea to carry a handkerchief and some tape.

I for one have multiple uses for tape. And anyone who has read Tolkien knows what can befall a Hobbit who goes forth without a handkerchief to confront a dragon.

29. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cant you carry quick clot and duct tape.
    Quick clot for bullet holes.
    Quick clot wrapper, inside is sterile, and duct tape for a sucking chest.

IMG_7312.JPG

Only problem is Ive carried quick clot and the packaging was wrestled opened/punctured