Banner morning Powder Coating!!!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Cwlongshot, May 12, 2019.

1. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where do u get your powdercoat?

Another question. And there may be too many variables to answer it. But give me watcha got!!

I'm lookin at these bullets. One for HD(hp) and one for general use (swc) Guns are S&W 640-1 2in & Rossi 92 16in
    http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=11
    http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=60

Website says its 2-2-96 alloy. When I use my Googlejitsu (patent pending) it shows a BHN of 11ish. When PC'd, if I keep the speeds on the low end of magnum (38/44ish) do u think it'll hold up in a carbine length barrel (16in)

I'm looking to duplicate the Buffalo Bore or Underwood 38sp 158gr Swchp. Which is around 1000fps out of a snub.
    I'm guessing they're about 1600fps. In my rifle. The few I shot stayed supersonic out past 100yds.

I don't have a chrono (I'd like one but don't have one) so all speeds are either guesstimate or swiped off the net.

I restumbled on this thread. Totally forgot about it. Saw the fry baskets and said "Wow, thats a neat idea!" Then scrolled down a few replies and saw
    :33: stay in skool kids!

salty dog and Cwlongshot like this.
  2. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Ill PM ya later. I have used GT and do like them for hand guns and yes that alloy is soft about a 10bhn.

I use three of there bullets cause I dont have HP molds for them and dont see the expence matching my use. I also like them cause I can buy “as cast” and powder coat and size myself.

I like there 220 10mm, there 165 & 185 (all) HP bullets. A friend has tested them in wet news print and as long as you stay under 1250 ish fps they produce the NICEST MUSHROOMS!! Thats a east velocity for these weights in my 357 Mag and 10mm hunting guns. I plan on using these bullets this year.

We are close, lets talk and meet up. Im happy to PC some for ya to try.

CW

salty dog and Paulyseggs like this.
  3. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    Paulyseggs likes this.
  4. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Plainbase can be run pretty fast with PC. But accuracy will suffer without the gascheck. If the base of the bullet gets deformed it will never shoot right. That is one reason for checks.

If the bullets are plainbase, you can still put a check on them. But they need to be made for a plain base. PatMarlin makes a good check maker for this. Otherwise you can get them here.

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/gas-checks/plain-base-gas-checks/

Paulyseggs and Cwlongshot like this.
  5. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Cwlongshot how is that 350 Legend working? Thinking about one for my AR to get back into hunting this fall.

6. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    I need to work up a load myself.

The load I use is one I stumbled upon when i found the problems with the factory FMJ ammo.

I read that two more loads have been released from winchester and atleast one from Federal is out too. Hornady is supposed to have something and Federal also has additional offerings. Life looks real good for the Legend. I dont remember the 450 getting such support and it was/is a more powerful caliber.

But mine shoots REAL FINE! Using the reformed 140FTX bullets. Cloverleafs are a regular thing. I just dont think the bullet is up to shooting a deer. Its going 2350 from a 16” with factory powder.

I loaded some reformed Hornady 158 xtp-FP Bullets and they shot well too. I have used these on deer with the 357 Mag at almost 2000 and recovered perfect mushroomed bullets. So I wouldn't be afraid of these in the legend at about same speed. To size them, I simply lube with Imperial and send them thru a LEE 356 push thru sizer. Easy as pie. Need to do a couple times as there is a bit of spring back with the copper jacket. But 356 loads fine in my chamber. .357 mostly will but I can “feel” it going in. Might be a issue in a auto loader. 356 glides in seemingly touching nothing.

I have tried a couple cast bullets and have gotten acceptable to me accuracy (1-5-2” @ 100) but I would like better. The 170 SWC shoots and feeds well. My 190 RD is too big @ the ogive even sized 356. My 180 RD is good @ 356. I wanna try my 230 RD next. I do have a nice 147g Lyman as a plinker/SG bullet but not so sure on its profile As a purpose built deer bullet.

I have read on the plain base CB checks. Sages is my source for reg checks already too. Thank for the links.

I have a 457191 Lyman mold and this NOE 360-232 mold that are plain based. Of coarse Im PCing them. So far I have pushed them to almost 2k with just over 1” accuracy @ 100 from different calibers. So I think with that they are doing all Id ask for.
    My “target” is a heavy for caliber cast bullet at 1800 fps providing 1.5” accuracy. Intended use is under 150 yards on deer.

CW

tomme boy and Paulyseggs like this.
  7. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am waiting to hear back from Al @ NOE. I asked him if he has anything coming up for the 350. I may just call him, I have not talked to him in a while. He has one of my designs in his catalog already. I don't think a design would be that hard to come up with. 200-230 gr would be perfect for this.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  8. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    Have you looked at the 360-232?

I like the profile. Sized 356 is fits good. Its WFN might cause issue feeding in a AR

Im happy to send ya some if it would help, just LMK.

CW

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes I looked at it. But I have to get the barrel first. I have an extra BCG and upper receiver laying around that will work for this.

10. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link, I've been looking for some similar lead hollow points and these look good.

Cwlongshot and Paulyseggs like this.
  11. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    3CC97608-3A68-4DD5-9648-5BE1D44B1FAD.jpeg Here it is in a maximum.

JeffG and Paulyseggs like this.
  12. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    43489E3B-6ECA-4280-BA9F-A0FDFAF4A960.jpeg
    I just saw this one on Accurate molds site.

JeffG likes this.
  13. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    2BE58EA6-D824-43BF-A047-61546F2A302E.jpeg
    If I can find the makers of the larger bores Ill send. (Maybe you already know)

Last night I sized a couple 230’s to .356 and seated them in Legend cases just below the crimp cannalure. (As you know this cannot/ should not roll crimp) it was OK, but I felt contact as bolt cammed down. I seated to right at the cannalure. PERFECT! No resistance and bolt closes nicely.

It also fed from its AR magazine every time. Slow and deliberate and quickly. This casting is about 13/14 BHN. So its nose is marked.

LMK, if you would like some to test. I have some “as cast” from last weekend both softer and straight WW hardness.

BTW, the 180 RD also works fine but of coarse is only 180g.

CW

tomme boy likes this.
  14. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am debating on ordering the barrel now or a new red dot first. My one on my ar9 is shutting off as I shoot. Since I got it back from PSA about 3 weeks ago I have shot over 1K rounds through it already. They replaced the whole gun and through in their new drop in trigger to fix the damage on the bolt issue. That trigger is SWEET!

Cwlongshot likes this.
  15. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Found a box of brass today at the range. And one loaded round. Already have a start and have not bought anything yet. The brass was the 180gr sp Win ammo. One round was a misfeed as the tip was chewed up. The guy said it was dangerous to shoot it because of the damaged tip. LOL it will be used as a sighting in round. I am not scared.

Cwlongshot likes this.