Bark River or...?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by mountainmist, Aug 19, 2019.

1. mountainmist

mountainmist Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm posting this thread because I want another knife and want to talk about it because deciding on what to get is half the fun.

I own a Regular Bravo 1, its my favorite. I cant believe how well it works on wood at .25". Sheath is okay

I recently bought an Aurora LT in A2. It's awesome, especially once I sharpened it and thinned out the edge a bit. The handle is very comfy but there is something just a tad long and rigid about it. Its not a problem but its definitely not as comfy as the Bravo handle. I like the sheath.

My question is, should I keep buying Bark River Knives (I want the gunny or a kephart) or should I give LT wright a shot? They seem the be the preferred brand around here and i'm not sure why. My bark rivers absolutely shred wood, and I cant imagine Lt Wrights doing a better job, but maybe I'm wrong. I like the looks of the GNS, and I REALLY like the looks of the Rouge River. Their sheaths look nice too.

I like convex way more than scandi even though I suck at sharpening. It just works better for me. However, I have only ever owned Moras in Scandi, so I am willing to hear advice on the scandi vs convex argument as well.

What do LT Wright knives do better than Bark Rivers?
    Are they worth the extra $25-$50?
    Do they cut better than Bark Rivers?
    Will I ever be completely Satisfied?
    Bonus points for pics

Here are some pictures so you guys didn't completely waste your time coming to this thread.

IMG_20190813_083448_910.jpg

IMG_20190804_002405_885.jpg

IMG_20190804_002405_872.jpg

IMG_20190804_002405_870.jpg

View attachment 779735

0801192324 (2).jpg

0727190712.jpg

Wil, Pilot, freebirdfb and 13 others like this.
  2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Both LT Wright and Bark River are great choices. Hard to go wrong with either.

3. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lt Wright also does Full Flat grind and Saber Grind as well as convex. No need to go to scandi just because you think you have to. If you don't see it on their site, contact them and ask them how to get it made. Apparently joining the Pout House gives you even more options.

Gunny was my favorite Bark River I've tried, and I had a Bravo 1 before I got it.

So whats the answer? Youre the only one that knows. And you probably aren't going to know until you try one.

4. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can't go wrong with a GNS. You can get one in convex, scandi, saber or FFG. Is it better than a Bark River? Not sure if that can be answered................ If I had a choice, I would do the GNS, but that's me. Your money, your ticket.

5. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Owl Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here’s a very nice hand made knife you can’t go wrong with:

freebirdfb, buckfynn, Noddy and 5 others like this.
  6. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Either brand is fine. I have a Bravo LT Hunter. It does all I need. But man, if that Outback was drop point and not spearpoint, I’d be all over it.

7. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Its listed as a Drop Point.

If you drop point it any more you'd about have a GNS

8. mountainmist

mountainmist Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I get what he is saying, it looks like a solid blade and one I've looked at too. I just feel like their saber/FFG just isn't as good at wood working as Bark rivers convex. And their scandi for that matter

9. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have both an LT Wright Bushcrafter and a Bark River Bravo 1. Both great knives I would never trade. All things considered I find the Bark River a bit more comfortable in my hand. Either way, can't go wrong.

10. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Have you looked at an MP Knives or Gossman Knives?

Get a 1911. :)

11. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Adventure Sworn (nothing against LT Wright). Adventure Sworn. The AS fan boys here aren’t just fan boys, drinking the Koolaid. These knives really are all that and a bag of chips.

freebirdfb, buckfynn, psybull and 2 others like this.
  12. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't buy anymore knives. You have enough. Spend your hard-earned on things like plane tickets, vehicles and decent food, other people.

Collecting knives is a venerable pursuit. But you are a young person and one day you will look at the ten or twenty thousand USD you have tied up in cutlery (how many did you need, again?) and think there was a camping holiday through central Europe in there, and a motorcycle ride in Iceland, plus a couple of decent fly rods and a boat ride up the Nile, fine audio gear, a drop dead suit .... etc. :)

Anyway, that all said, I think it is about time you went custom ... start with Alan Wood. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  13. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Collecting? Or trying to find something that works better for you?

Personally I'd rather have a new knife, or a lot of them than take one trip to Europe. And if these other people are saving their money why do I need to spend my money on them? :)

Buy a motorcycle and get all the adventure you want, see your state, visit loved ones, and just in what you save on gas in two weeks you can buy a good knife. Problem solved. ;)

14. mountainmist

mountainmist Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Adventure Sworn's are soooo nice but i'm scared to spend that much on a knife. I tend to scratch and dent my knives pretty quickly and regularly. I see a 3V full convex mountaineer or classic somewhere in my future though. I have had other customs but they haven't really spoken to me, but then again i haven't tried any styles that I've really liked. And knife collecting to me isn't too bad of a hobby because i can always sell the ones that I don't use/like.

freebirdfb and buckfynn like this.
  15. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No no no... I am talking you not off but (stay with me here) *onto* the ledge.

You said “I tend to scratch and dent my knives pretty quickly”

But wasn’t there one true pocket knife that was your boon companion back then?

Approach this like that.

16. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good :)

By custom, I meant speaking to an experienced cutler/outdoorser about the things you do and the knife you want, then let them help you to let them make the knife you really should have.

I remember more than ten years ago I commissioned a lovely knife and was adamant I wanted it in 3mm flat ground RWL34. And that's what I got and I love it; probably my favourite. But the maker tried everything he knew to get me to let him make it in 5mm steel that had a flat, then hollow, then convex grind. He was right, and it is what I should have done. Can't afford to have another remade because I couldn't possibly sell the other. But it's what I should have done.

One concession was that I agreed to have the handle not in the Maple I wanted, but rather a self-oiling wood .. Partridge wood. Glad I agreed to that at least :)

I suppose the moral of this tale is that really good makers have talked to a lot of people about a lot of pursuits. They may put a few tricks into the general knives that they put generally into the world for general consumption, but they know tons more

freebirdfb, buckfynn and mountainmist like this.
  17. JerseyDevilJeeper

JerseyDevilJeeper Professional Guide Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh God........ thought you were talking to me:34:

18. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    oof!

- that is nice

19. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bark River is on my do not buy list. You can do some research and find some concerning issues.

I'm not a LT Wright fan either but would buy an Alice pack full of them before spending a dime with Bark River (I do miss my Bark River Nessmuck and Grasso Bolo though)

Buy a nice used Gossman!

20. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dude. You already know the answer to this question. Get both. Problem solved!

Both companies makes excellent knives. The way I see it, Bark River offers more variety (than just about every other maker), and LT Wright tends to knock it out of the park in terms of build quality on every knife they produce.

If you like sharp 90 degree spines, LT Wright knives are the exemplar. A lot of Bark River knives have decent 90 spines (some do not have it on purpose), but in my experience they are not as sharp or aggressive as LT Wright. If you scrape a lot, whether it's wood, bark, or a ferro rod, LT Wright knives are scraping machines.

In terms of style, Bark River seems "fancy" to me, whereas LT Wright seems more spartan and utilitarian.

21. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd rather have more and better knives than any of the things you listed, except food, but it's not either/or for knives vs. food (yet).

22. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not up on the controversy. I heard Mike Stewart is a bit of a challenging person. I heard he shorted some suppliers and creditors at Blackjack knives. I heard that maybe some lesser steels were stamped more exotic. But the knives are built well and feel good.

I do talk to the LT Wright guys at Blade show and LT is a bit out there. But he built a fairly successful knife company which is tough to do. The guys that work for him are really talented artists.

Now if you want to talk Benchmade, that's on my boycott list.

freebirdfb likes this.
  23. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Owl Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did I mention Michael is only asking $150 for this knife?

24. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    I tend toward Bark River products for several reasons, not the least of which that I sorta-kinda got to know Mike Stewart on another, now defunct, board. He can be a little grumpy at times but he's also got a friendly, helpful, do-what-you-need-doing side that just won't quit. AND his credentials are nothing to sneeze at.

I have four Bark River knives. My current favorite is the Bravo 1.25.

25. mountainmist

mountainmist Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Bark River gets heat on every bark river post accross all forums, and this results from like 5 bad experiences from a company that has been in business for years. I love their knives personally and think they have out preformed every custom I have held, which isn't saying tooo much but I have played with some nice one's. But LT no doubt has a better reputation which definitely makes them appealing.

I feel like that could happen to me one day, but not with my current budget and tastes.

That is true, my Aurora spine is sharp but not eveb close to as sharp as it could be. Definitely would make things easier if it was...

Ditto.

That's a crazy deal. Literally a crazy deal. Something about hand made knives just hasn't clicked with me yet, maybe I'm too young and dumb, who knows.

26. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have both. I favor the GNS a bit over the Aurora due to more comfortable scales and preferred scandi grind. But I have no dislikes or anything negative to say about the Aurora. Both are quality knives that work for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  27. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The fatter grip that LT has paired with their scandi grind makes them hard to beat. Pick any GNS or Genesis in this configuration and you've got an excellent bushcraft tool. Their full flat grind models are also popular and make great scraping and skinning tools. Their sheaths are also pretty good.

The finish on BRKT knives is better in my opinion. More even grinds from knife to knife, and they seem to have good taste in scale materials. The convex is pretty well done, and the only downside is some of their grips are on the small side. The good news is there are more than a dozen sizes or styles to choose from. Their sheaths are a little less impressive.

I've had hunting knives from both companies, and still own one of each. A Next Gen in 3V and a BRKT Manitou. They will perform just as well as I can sharpen them.

I think you've clearly got the knife skills to appreciate what a good blade can offer, but having those skills means you know that you don't need a new knife. I say get what you want, because you've already got what you need. ;)

28. mountainmist

mountainmist Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the pics! You can definitely see that the handle is bigger and fuller

That's a great point, thanks for the words!

29. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Give Gossman a try. He shot a test sample with a 41 mag barely left a scratch.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/you-guys-are-gonna-love-this-lol.220918/

Mr. Tettnanger and buckfynn like this.
  30. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had a Bark River Bravo 1 and Gunny for many years. I stick to their A-2 steel which I like as I can maintain it in the field easily. That being said, I do think they are a bit overpriced, but still very nice knives. However, I find myself carrying less expensive knives more and they all do as well as the Barkies. As I get older, I gravitate less to aesthetics, and more to function, and value. Maybe I am just getting cheap. lol!

Scarywoody, freebirdfb and buckfynn like this.