Basic Chainsaw Skills for Homeowners - October 20, 2018 - Cabela's - Hamburg, PA

Discussion in 'Sandcut Outdoors' started by Sandcut, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Cabela’s and Sandcut Outdoors are partnering to offer a Basic Chainsaw Skills class for homeowners and other non-professionals. Whether you’re considering buying your first chainsaw or whether you use a saw occasionally, but were never fully comfortable using it, this class is designed for you. Sandcut Outdoors will teach new chainsaw users the basics of using a chainsaw including operation, safety, and some basic first aid. This class will demonstrate how to read compression and tension in wood, as well as how to understand kickback and pinching and how these forces work on your chainsaw.

Not suitable for children under 14. Part of this class will be outdoors. Please dress for the weather. Hearing protection is recommended.

$10 per person. The class will be offered on Saturday, October 20, 2018 and will run from 10 am to 2 pm at the Cabela’s store located at 100 Cabela’s Drive, Hamburg, PA.

Pre-registration is required by Sunday, October 14, 2018, and space is limited to 30 participants.

For more information or to register, contact Sandcut Outdoors by emailing SandcutOutdoorsLLC@gmail.com

39725873_2143067439282885_3329142130244321280_o.jpg

2. sidmand

sidmand Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kudos, sounds like a great course? Is that a 251?

Sandcut likes this.
  3. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    250, 251. Whatever it takes. :)

It's a 250. As much as I've read people talking smack about it online, it's a great saw for what it is. It's a 45 cc saw that can be had for under $300. For a budget conscious homeowner, there really isn't a need to add $200 to get a 50+ cc saw for infrequent to frequent use.

4. sidmand

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree. And not to derail the thread, please just ignore me if it's an issue, but that 250, can that sucker drop and then buck a 20ish inch standing dead post oak moderately easy? I know that my wee 170 won't, it just ain't got the power for it. It will beaver through about 15 inches, with a lot of effort, which isn't safe at all.

Sandcut likes this.
  5. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I can't say. I've never cut post oak before. We don't have much oak around here in general, so I don't have much experience with it.

It didn't have any issue bore cutting this ash last year during the Game of Logging class that I took with it. The 250 has a 18" bar and I had to bore cut from both sides to get the whole way through.

IMG_20171006_141102.jpg

sidmand and rsnurkle like this.
  6. sidmand

Blog Posts:
    sopunds like a saw worth looking into for sure. I think I know a guy that has one, I might try to talk him into letting me borrow it for a bit to try out. Thanks for the information!!

Sandcut likes this.