Basic Search Function Use

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GreyOne, Jun 24, 2010.

1. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How to use the Search Function:

The "Search" function can allow you to find threads and posts that discuss a topic you are interested in.
    This can save time and wasted effort, and prevent duplicating an existing thread.

When you open the Search box, you will find a field for entering your term. You can select "Find Threads"
    -or- "Find Posts". For most uses the "Find Threads" option will be better.

When you type in your search term, you want to try to use as few words as possible, while being specific enough to narrow the search.

For instance, try "survival kit", and then try "Brazilian Survival kit" . Compare the results.

There are a few special "operators" you can use to make a search more precise.

The most common operators are: "and" ;"OR"; "not".

The "and" operator tells the computer to search for every entry that has each of the words somewhere in the same entry or record. For example, if you want information on Scandi knives, you might search the appropriate source in this way:
    [Scandi and knife]
    This will give only results that include both terms, and will miss a post with "Scandi grind" in it.

The "or" operator tells the computer to search the for every record which has any of the words specified. Both words do not have to occur in the same record. For example, if you want information on either Leuku or Puukko, you would use [Leuku or Puukko].
    This will give every thread where either term is mentioned.

The "not" operator allows you to remove a word from your search. It tells the computer to search your first word, and remove any record which also contains your second word. For example, if you wanted information about Scandi knives but not Mora's, you could use [Scandi not Mora].

A couple of things worth knowing- first, search terms are not case sensitive, so typing "Mora" will get the same return as "mora".
    Second, punctuation is normally ignored. Exceptions are for the double parenthesis, the plus and minus signs, and a few other special use items.

If you are looking for an exact phrase , you can put the phrase in double parenthesis and the search will return only that exact phrase. For instance, try this: ["swedish army rucksack"].

There are a number of advanced search options that can be of use, but if you master these few steps, you will be able to find most anything on the BCUSA site.

If that is not enough, you can use your Browser search engine for even more powerful searches, including words of 3 letters or less, which our search engine will not do.

Assuming Google as your search engine on your browser,
    got to the search bar, and enter your search term, with or without quotation marks ( as per above) followed by [ site:bushcraftusa.com].

Example:

["axe" site:bushcraftusa.com ]

This will narrow the Google search to only our Forums.

This will work with Bing, Ask, and other search engines as well, at least in my experience.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    Sabel1, gila_dog and Seeker like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks G1. I never new about the operators.

GreyOne likes this.
  3. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Excellent post G1, Thank you. Thats got alot of good info in it guys

GreyOne likes this.
  4. Dano

Dano Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Same here...thanks! I struggle with computers and such, so any help is MUCH appreciated!

GreyOne likes this.
  5. GreyOne

Blog Posts:
    This is information that will mostly work the same here or on Google.
    The problem is that most of us were never taught about doing a good search, and so we get bad results that make us not want to bother. Vicious circle effect.
    If this helps the brethren here to get a little better at finding things, I'll be very pleased. :)

DennP likes this.
  6. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks G1

GreyOne likes this.
  7. philiprambo

philiprambo Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Re:

Its really a nice one.Thanks a lot for sharing.

GreyOne likes this.
  8. backwoodsamerican

backwoodsamerican Guide

Blog Posts:
    awesome! i never knew any of that, i just search and then have to scroll threw hundreds of pages till i find what i looking for. lol now all i have to do is remember all that!

GreyOne likes this.
  9. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting this, I'm very computer literate, the forum search is not very easy to use. I can use those operators and still not find what I'm looking for or come up with a lot to look through. Even using the advanced search. Any search on the net will display junk you don't want or the results will have nothing to do with your search terms. It's not always the forum search that's wrong it happens any where on the net. Use terms instead of a search like asking a question, or making a statement, although that will sometimes work.

GreyOne likes this.
  10. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll give this a bump and add the link to an older post of mine showing how to add a bookmark to your browser that will search Google for results on bushcraftusa.com specifically:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showpost.php?p=816641&postcount=9

This is the same thing as going to google and doing a site-specific search, but it works as a bookmark that you click instead. It'll open a prompt asking you for a search term, you enter it and it shows you the google results.

Thought that might be helpful as I know the forum search isn't always easy to find stuff with, and this is a good place to put the info.

GreyOne likes this.
  11. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:

I use that thing all the time now.... Good stuff man!

GreyOne likes this.
  12. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is very cool... Thank you. I can't figure out how to bookmark it though. All I get is a blank tab. I'll keep trying...

Ski

GreyOne likes this.
  13. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Firefox instructions

Ok, here's some detailed instructions for Firefox. Process is similar in every browser, but I don't have time right now to screenshot all of them step by step :D

1) Copy the bookmarklet text. I've added the text to this post as well for clarity - copy the below text, as shown in the screenshot (click the image for a larger version):

Code:
    javascript:(function(){var qr=prompt("Search BCUSA for", '');if(qr){window.open('http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:bushcraftusa.com'+'+'+escape(qr));}})();

[​IMG]

2) Open the bookmark manager for Firefox:

[​IMG]

3) Click on the bookmarks toolbar selection in the bookmark manager (or wherever you want to keep this bookmark) and then right click on the right side window to select New Bookmark:

[​IMG]

4) Enter the bookmark configuration. The important part is to paste the text you copied in the first step into the Location field:

[​IMG]

5) You're done! It should look like this now in the bookmarks manager:

[​IMG]

6) Give it a test to make sure it works:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweeneyguy, Seeker and GreyOne like this.
  14. Grey Ranger

Grey Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    Invaluable advice, Grey One. Thank you. This makes finding something much easier without needing to start a new thread and wait for replies

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    GreyOne likes this.
  15. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
  16. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    judging by some recent activity...this fine post could use a bump to the top again. :D

thanks to all who contributed to it - the entire thread can lead to great knowledge!

17. GreyOne

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the bump, we need to get more use out of search as the board gets larger.

18. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to these hints my search foo has gotten much better. I don't use Google or any other search engines , because for some reason when ever I search for anything I get redirected to some pay site that is useless.

GreyOne likes this.
  19. MrKnobbie

MrKnobbie Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to bump this to get it on the portal list.

GreyOne likes this.
  20. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Very Nice Tutorial G1! Best instruction on a Search I've seen on a forum to date. Thank you!

GreyOne likes this.
  21. HollowPoint

HollowPoint Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I'm new to the forum and this is very helpful.

GreyOne likes this.
  22. Raggedy Man

Raggedy Man Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bump for all the new folks on here, and because it probably should be bumped periodically.

23. Brentski

Brentski Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great help

Thank you so much! I was spending a lot of time and having a lot of difficulty searching. This will be a GREAT help. I really appreciate you pointing me in this direction. Bookmarked!

GreyOne likes this.
  24. Frogcrotch

Frogcrotch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the advice. makes it easier for new folks like me to catch up on well-visited topics rather than resurrect well-addressed topics.

GreyOne likes this.
  25. melbolt65

melbolt65 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just was wondering if using Google will have issues with more recent results since you must be logged in now to view posts, I'd imagine that would prevent Google's web crawler from being able to index the site going forward?

26. Rosh

Rosh Compulsive Maker Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Is there like a general how to section/thread for using the site? I've found the rules, membership types, photo bucket instructions but not general site instructions. I could keep clicking and playing around but I'm the type of guy that reads the instructions to everything.

27. GreyOne

Blog Posts:
    The forum changed over to new software recently, and although the main subforums remain the same, much of the nuts and bolts of doing things has changed. It seems mostly for the better, but we are all still getting used to the new system.

If you have specific problems or questions, you can usually find one of the Mods online, and send them a conversation message to discuss the problem.

28. Rosh

Rosh Compulsive Maker Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ok no worries. Like I said. Just an instruction readin kinda guy. Thanks for the quick response!

GreyOne likes this.
  29. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for this thread. Now maybe I can actually start finding things. The way I have been doing searches has been pretty frustrating, because I just couldn't find what I was looking for.

30. GreyOne

Blog Posts:
    Usually the best result is to use as few words as will describe your object. The and/ or/ not operators help at this, and the use of quote marks is helpful if you want an entire phrase searched for.

Mjolnir and gila_dog like this.
  31. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is a very nice thread on using site specific search terms, operators and quotation marks to make forum searches more rewarding. One non site specific tip people might keep in mind is that you can use the same tools discussed above to cut through some of the 'fluff' you encounter on a generalized google search. You can tailor your search to site:.edu or site:.gov to winnow out the seemingly endless 'cut & paste' dot com links.