Basque axe for me.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by NoBrakesRacing, May 18, 2017 at 10:55 PM.

1. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good evening,
    Just had the opportunity to acquire an axe from Jauregui and thought I would post a picture.

I'm from Bilbao, in the Basque Country, living in Texas, and just went to Spain for vacation. After following this forum for a while and learning the differences of the Basque axes I had to have on of my own.
    Went to my favorite hardware store in bilbao and they had them and even at the best price after checking another store.

Decided on the 1.5 kgs head (they had them every 250 grams up to 3 kgs), the 1.750 kgs felt good too, but thought it might get heavy after a while.

This was the only one they had in the weight and it has a couple small issues. Seems the handle was a bit loose and the guy from the store decided to add a couple wedges vs sanding and fitting it better. I set him straight and he appreciated the info. Will deal with the handle if it breaks. It also seems to have a bit of discoloration and small chip on the top of the edge that I'm not concerned about.

Since it had those issues, he offered to lower the price from 48€ to 40€ (about $43) so it came back to Texas with me.

Have only tried it a little on a dead tree in my back yard and it throws great chips and feels very comfortable.

Glad to have brought home a great piece from my heritage.

Have a good evening.

(Sorry about the double pics, not sure why)

20170517_084047.jpg 20170518_090106.jpg 20170517_084047.jpg 20170518_090106.jpg 20170518_090123.jpg

savage99nc, highlander, mjh and 14 others like this.
  2. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    way cool right there ...

3. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    You might soak and reseal the wood .
    I wouldn't worry about the chip , in time after a few sharpening's it will all disappear
    The head definitely is different, no pole to speak of but then its obviously not designed to use for splitting wood or using the head as a hammer.
    A good prize , thanks for sharing.

4. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout Jack of all trades, Mastering some. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm a biggie on appreciating my heritage! As someone who's DNA looks like an area map with a south-western edge of Scotland, northern of sweden, a little eastern coastal european and everything in between, Basques are BAD A$$. Seriously, showing up with a "strange firm fleshed dried fish" for hundreds of years before Columbus?(COD) Whaling the eastern seaboard of the US before anyone else? I'm a fan. Eh-Vecking indeed. (a-Viking= To travel, trade or otherwise obtain livelihood)

Good buy, I'm glad your in touch with your roots and will be in touch with some trunks in the near future ;)

MrFixIt and NoBrakesRacing like this.
  5. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, I'm not worried about the chip and the discoloration, as soon as I sharpen it a couple times it will dissappear.

I will end up sanding the haft a little and treating with boiled linseed oil but will use it some as is.
    The wood is beech which is choosen so that it does not heat up the hands while using.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 10:00 AM
  6. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm very proud of my heritage as are all basques. It is a very interesting culture and one of the very few ancient ones with its own original language still surviving and thriving.
    That cod makes for some super tasty dishes.

Take care.

7. batmanacw

batmanacw Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a neat axe to play with! I've been eye balling then since Roosters video with one.

NoBrakesRacing likes this.
  8. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout Jack of all trades, Mastering some. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's another thing I like about basque culture, fierce pride and indifference to outside influences

Bucket list place to visit too..

NoBrakesRacing likes this.
  9. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Always exciting to see tools from various areas of the world. And it's great when finding unique items that tie into one's heritage.
    How does it compare to American designs in use?
    It's interesting that it doesn't have a poll.

10. garry3

garry3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice axe. I am surprised to see wedges in the slip fit handle and what looks like nails. Did it come that way?

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  11. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    The wedges and nails are not necessary and were added by the hardware store gut in an attempt to "fix it".
    I wish it did not have them but he did not have any more in stock. The other store that had the axes was asking 66€, so I decided to take it at 40€.

garry3 and CivilizationDropout like this.
  12. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not that versed in axes, only use them occasionally.
    They have a heavier head and a shorter haft/handle for supposedly better control in brushy areas.
    The convex shape of the head is designed not to stick in the wood but to throw the chips off.

13. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is a wonderful intersection of culture, geography, history and in my biased opinion the best food in the world.

The history of of the Guernica tree and the "fueros" agreed under is a very interesting aspect of its history.