1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Bathhouse shower wall install

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by dads2vette, Oct 11, 2017.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    As you may remember I was contemplating using stone from the property and wood for the walls in the bath house. After locating and carrying about 30 sq ft of stone for the back of the fireplace(15 sq ft still needed)...'f' that idea. That really stunk. Lugging all that stone up a 100' hill at 5400' elevation to the truck was not what I call fun. That was 30 sq ft of usable pieces, forget the waste.

Anyhow I decided to use cedar fence picket, cut to size, horizontally. Two reasons I chose the cedar fencing. One, it should hold up well to the water. It's just me out here and most of my showers will still be in the outside shower. The bathhouse will get used when it's cold and windy. The low humidity here causes quick evaporation. Two, CHEAP! $2 a board. Even if it lasts only a year, it's a cheap rehab or change of material.

Installed it so that it can be easily removed.

After putting up the concrete board, taping the joints and using mastic I covered with 2 coats of RedGard. We have used this stuff on a couple dozen bathrooms/showers/kitchens over the last few years and haven't had a single problem with water damage...and these are rental units. Gotta tell ya', love this stuff. Pricey but worth it.

Shower covered with RedGard and wood brackets being glued/nailed in place. Cross pieces are to make sure everything is nice and snug.

Here's how the cedar board fits into one side of the bracket.

The cedar butts(ha, I said butt) up to the other side where there will be a cedar face that covers the joint locking it in place. Actually, just tight enough to stop them from falling out. I want them to be easy to remove.

One wall up just for fitting.

All in all it's a cheap project. Most expensive parts were the shower head and valve at $120. Pricey compared to the rest of the project but I've learned to not skimp on the valve. Cedar will come in under $40, RedGard $50, concrete board free from Craigslist, shower pan $25 off Craigslist.

More pictures to come:

2. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  3. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    At that elevation and with the low humidity that will last a lot of years, especially if you leave those boards with some wiggle or breathing space. Good solution and your back was not harmed in the whole deal like stone work would have done to you.

gohammergo and dads2vette like this.
  4. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    You're right about wood lasting out here. On the neighboring property the owner has some scrap wood left in a pile. Really, who knows how long it's been there...? I spoke with him last year and he hasn't been to his property in 15 years. Most of it is still usable for picture frames and decorate projects.

5. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Well, Turns out I had a brain fart and didn't get enough wood. Not horrific, I had to get the finishing pieces as well but now I won't finish up until I get back form a short vaca to S.F.

6. gohammergo

gohammergo Bada Bing, Bada Boom ! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great job. :) I love the redguard. You can paint that on a cardboard box and turn it into a water container. :)

Fixedblade likes this.
  7. Fixedblade

Fixedblade 3% Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like what I see, can't wait to see it finished!

gohammergo likes this.