"Bay to Bowl" Locavore Program In August

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by GreenFrog, Jan 31, 2017.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

I hope to make this but don't know yet with work... while not inexpensive it would surely be a top quality experience. It could take years trying to learn these skills from a book but just a 3-day weekend in person.

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - "Bay to Bowl" Locavore Program In August

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife, in partnership with the Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ, is excited to offer a 3-day 2-night locavore program for adults 21 years old and older interested in learning what’s edible in and around Barnegat Bay. The program will be held August 11-13, 2017, at the Sedge House, located within NJ's first Marine Conservation Zone. The facility is a renovated ducking hunting lodge with 7-bunk rooms where participants will live a conservationist lifestyle.

Participants will spend time identifying and harvesting edible plants, algae, digging clams, netting crabs, and fishing, all while learning about the salt marsh ecosystem, conservation, and renewable resources. Participants will:
      • Learn what’s edible in and around Barnegat Bay.
      • Learn how to identify, harvest and prepare sustainable local cuisine.
      • Learn to shuck clams and oysters, and how to fillet fish.
      • Leave with a deeper understanding of our natural environment and the importance of being a good steward.
    Each meal will feature something locally harvested by participants, and Saturday night’s dinner will consist mainly of harvested resources that will be cooked through demonstration and by participation. Participants should come with open minds and empty stomachs! (Food allergies may not be able to be addressed.)

TO APPLY
    NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - "Bay to Bowl" Locavore Program In August

Only complete applications will accepted on a first come first serve base. Space is limited. Deadline for submission is July 10, 2017.

rsnurkle, Sandcut, NattyBo and 2 others like this.
  2. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Very cool, I am already engaged for that time but it looks like fun.

GreenFrog likes this.
  3. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Wastelander Supporter Bushclass I

Thanks for posting this! I am going to fill out an application for sure.

4. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

That would be great! It's nice to see programs like this being offered.

@GreenFrog, with a little bit of heads up and a free weekend over the summer we could attempt something like this on our own. I used to teach coastal ecology down in VA once upon a time and could do a reasonable job pointing out coastal edibles, provided we had access to both the beach and the bay. Perhaps around Island Beach State Park.

You'd just have to remember the mantra "it might not taste good, but it's edible." :)

rsnurkle, Wolfcri and GreenFrog like this.
  5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

That'd be fun. I know so little about coastal ecology and would enjoy that. Would go well with some surf fishing. Have explored some tidepooling outside of nj but mostly stay far away from the jersey shore crowds.

Sandcut and Wolfcri like this.
  6. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

That sounds wicked cool.

GreenFrog likes this.