Be prepared!

Discussion in 'BUSHCRAFT CODGERS' started by saxonaxe, Mar 10, 2019.

1. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Suddenly, at almost 75, I'm a 'Prepper.' Well not exactly, but I've spent all day at Granddaughter's place installing catches on cupboards, drawers, cat flaps and anything else that Great Grandson can either open or escape through....He's starting to crawl!
    It seems only yesterday he just lay on his back staring at the ceiling and gurgling, ( that's Great Grandson..not me...:D ) and now suddenly he's mobile and fast !!...[​IMG]

The cat flap in the kitchen door seems to interest him, he squeals when the Moggie suddenly appears or when the cat dives out through it to escape from him. I'm not at all sure the cat is very impressed by this strange creature that has started to crawl around the floor.
    So to avoid any dramas I've turned the place into Fort Knox, or in our case The Tower of London..:D and the place is now baby explorer proof...I think..:dblthumb:

turntail, JeffG, backlasher and 12 others like this.
  2. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    "Moggie" LOL! Love it. :19:

It struck me funny when my daughter in law revealed to us that she was pregnant. Then lamented at how their condo had "child proof" cabinets, drawers, and outlets when they bought it. They immediately removed the safety features & tossed them. Only to find out several months later they were expecting their first child. Whoops! :oops:

They have since replaced all the safety features, but are now having to put up safety gates, etc. Our grandson is now two & he is very adventurous. The kid has practically no fear. :11:

JeffG, DF Bob, backlasher and 3 others like this.
  3. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How much trouble could he get into ? It’s not like you have mountain lions or true crime ver there

JeffG and Metaldog like this.
  4. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    " How much trouble could he get into "

I hate to think riverjoe...
    Let's start with the cupboard under the kitchen sink...Bleach, Washing up liquid, Soapy scouring pads....None would taste good...
    Easier to make the cupboards secure than reorganise everything and shift it above grabbing height...:D

5. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well there is that .

backlasher likes this.
  6. DF Bob

DF Bob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gouda luck Sax! When you make something kid proof they just make smarter kids. Sorta like "idiot proof" except the kids don't know better yet. As to fear, there is none!! A few years back my #2 grandson pushed out the window screen on the window 26 feet above ground. Fortunately the ground sloped fairly steeply (hence the 26') and kid rode the screen down like a magic carpet. Emergency med had him Life-Flighted to the regional pediatric trauma center for evaluation based upon the distance of the fall - zero injuries and there is a picture of him on a 7th floor, spread-eagled flat against a window looking out at the scenery. This, less than 4 hours after the fall.

Be prepared though, many of us old Boy Scouts still are. And now, more than ever.

Yeah, the under-sink area is a chemical experiment waiting to happen. "It can't be bad, they sell it at the grocery store" -- mix a little bleach and ammonia and see how that goes. DON'T DO THIS!!!!! Chlorine gas is the result. Same risks, different chemicals for drain cleaner, hair "pomade" and bleach, on and on. When you get into the chemistry aspects of what we get/have, it gets fascinating in a very morbid and sometimes deadly manner. Be careful out there! Teaching the grandkids to "play with" bushcraft stuff, ropes, TOY knives, etc and working them into age-appropriate equipment as they get older is probably a very good "be prepared" item along with the education of the boogyman "under the sink". Don't HIDE the risks, explain them as age appropriate.

With the high waters and cool weather (won't dignify them into floods and freeze, us Old Guys have seen far worse) - but the idiots exist. The left coast has probably led the country in the "green movement". Most folks have no idea to beyond clueless about where their power comes from or electricity. We had a literal 30-mile backup on the highway two weeks ago with folks trying to go "to the mountains" or "snow". A survey showed a full 40% did not have chains, even though there were a series of overhead signs that said "Chains Required Over Summit". The electric car people sat idle in their cars, heater and radio on, for hours. Cold weather helps reduce battery life substantially, and in the foothills and mountains. stuck in a linear 2-lane each way traffic standstill is STUCK. After the batteries died, ah gee, how's that electric car working for you now? (And they need a 75 AMP circuit, 10 hours to recharge!) Then there is the case of the lady who tried to drive her electric car through the flooded street, massive rewire and computer replacement job. (Why our insurance costs rise?).

Like I said, good luck and ever vigilant, and thanks for being a good G-Pa and trying to keep the young un going.

Bob

Metaldog and backlasher like this.
  7. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @saxonaxe you did good! A child's taste isn't like a grownup's and they'll eat or drink some really bad stuff.

DF Bob and Metaldog like this.
  8. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you.. Even with 'Child Proof ' tops on containers and bottles these days it would only take one top to be loose and a mouthful of something could be disastrous. I remember from when my kids were tiny, it's almost impossible to watch them every minute of the day.
    I've hidden the box of pretty coloured beads that I sometimes put on knife lanyards too, they look too much like tasty sweets (Candies)..:D :D

Metaldog and DF Bob like this.
  9. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not my kids, nor my grandkids - they knew what tasted good and by golly you weren’t going to fool them. I liked the blueberry buckle and custard myself. When I had to babysit all by my lonesome, I taught everyone of them how to open the doors to the canned goods and they would sit for hours opening the door, take everything out, then attempt to stuff it all back in - they kept busy and enjoyed themselves and I did “man things”??

The War Department had her suspicions, but I denied any involvement and the little rascals never gave me up.

backlasher likes this.
  10. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @JoeJ , once, my kids pulled all the labels off the canned goods. For a while we didn't know what we were going to eat.

Dogrobber, JoeJ and Metaldog like this.