Be safe out there!

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Chazzle, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Chazzle

Chazzle Sapere aude Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We were stuck getting home from work. What was normally a 23 minute drive across the county became a 4 hour slog.
    20190111_163813.jpg
    My view for 4 hours. We were OK, we had a Ford Explorer with Snow 4WD traction system. what messed up the works were people in sportscars and regular sedan cars.
    20190111_163853.jpg
    There was a guy with a 4WD gator cart helping people up hill...kudos to that guy!
    20190111_193343.jpg 20190111_193230.jpg
    So many stuck people, but we even saw people abandon their cars and walk. With more snow on the way, I didnt think that was a good idea.
    20190111_193217.jpg 20190111_185106.jpg 20190111_183120.jpg

PROS:

We had water, food, a warm wool blanket, and a full tank of gas as the weather radio told us. We had a guy walk up to us asking for food.

4 Wheel Drive...as much as I hated filling up our 6 cyl 4WD SUV every penny of that was earned last night!

Warm clothes: We both had on layers, and I had on my Mickey Mouse Boots and wool socks.
    20190112_091309.jpg
    If we had to hoof it somewhere, I think we'd be OK.

CONS/LESSONS LEARNED: We didnt have a bathroom, or even a spare bottle for pee. I need to rectify that situation.
    I didnt bring my backpack with FAK, mini stove, flashlight...could've been more prepared. Next time, I'll bring it along with me to work if there's a storm coming.

I felt BAD for people, (one lady had on a light "fur"-linded jacket and yoga pants w/ slippers...not a good idea to leave your car in those. I wasn't going to let strangers in our car, it was survival.

Please be safe out there!

Chazz

2. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Banned

Blog Posts:
    That's hardly any snow.

3. Chazzle

Blog Posts:
    this is St. Louis. people freak out for 1/2 inch of sleet, and 2 inches of snow

WE were fine, we were just inconvenienced by all the unprepared people out there!

Chazz

4. MohaveGreen

MohaveGreen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Reminds me of the ice-pocalypse in Atlanta a few years ago. Took me 7 hours to go 7 miles, then walked the last 2 with my GHB on my back. Like you, my 4wd wasn't the problem, it was the gridlock caused by everyone else. I also recall people leaving their cars wearing only regular office clothes, totally unprepared. I remember one guy only had a gym towel to drape over his shoulders to keep warm. Also, good call on the pee bottle. Hadn't thought of that one. Glad you made it home safe.

5. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    That was that wet heavy stuff. It makes roads into mirrors with ice. Ha, those folks who have forgotten or never learned to wear clothes to match the conditions sure make you wonder. Do they sell insulated yoga pants? Maybe they do because I saw some funny lumps on a customer or two at Wally Mart last time I was there.

actichy, Sosteve, S.Decker and 8 others like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @MohaveGreen I remember that snow you are talking about. I was on call that week and didn't get home for 3 days. Dang I like being retired. joe

7. MOWoodsmn

MOWoodsmn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    587FE392-9BEA-4C64-8267-E3B21BE1EE83.jpeg I was supposed to go to Chicago and back today to deliver 14 puppies from here in NE Missouri, thankfully it has been moved to tomorrow. I doubt the photo is clear enough to tell, but it’s snowing here...

8. schapm

schapm Incompetent City Dweller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How you drive is a factor as well as what you drive. Around here it seems like 80% of the slide offs are always young invincible guys in pickup trucks. All four tires can slide on ice, and often it seems they forget that their rear end needs some weight. I drive a truck but I also drive like a geriatric woman regardless of the weather.

ArmyMacE, actichy, MOWoodsmn and 17 others like this.
  9. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Slow and easy gets yea home eventually. I live in a snow state and I'm not always at the top of being prepared, but gee I do monitor the weather forecast and make adjustments, also if going out of the local neighborhood, I do live close to work, walking home would not be a problem.

ArmyMacE, actichy, Sosteve and 10 others like this.
  10. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are OK.
    People who can’t drive or prepare are tiresome. My biggest issue with snow is always idiots who can’t drive. One trip from ND to MO had 400 miles of ice. Two track on the right lane and ice on the left. Of course, every few miles I had to take the huge conversion van onto the ice to get around some dunce going 25 in the right lane. Sigh...
    We moved to Atlanta after that. Big snow was collapsing buildings like the carpet factories... large almost flat roofs. I was out delivering kids here and there because nobody else could drive. Sigh again... :4:

actichy, Sosteve, S.Decker and 13 others like this.
  11. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Living and driving here in the snow belt, I can tell you that's not always the case. As @schapm pointed out, 4WD is not a magic talisman. When people in SUVs ignore road conditions, that's a problem. Slow it down no matter what you're driving. A four hour trip is annoying, but it's better than a high speed rollover.
    Glad you made it home safely! :dblthumb:

12. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Time spent being cautious is not wasted time. I have changed my work schedule a lot in the last couple of weeks because of weather. :)

13. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    We were coming home one winter from Southern Wisconsin. Terrible snowstorm, you could hardly see the road. We got into a "convoy" of probably 15-20 vehicles all going about 40 or so on the freeway. Every now and then some knobhead would fly past us, usually a big four wheel drive truck. Every now and then we would see a vehicle in the ditch, usually a big four wheel drive truck. :) I kept my Dakota in four wheel high range and though it took us a little longer to get home, we made it just fine. It was actually a nice drive. The snow was so heavy, and it was dark out, so we couldn't see much. I didn't have a radio in it, so we had a nice long bit of time with no distractions to talk to each other. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  14. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Chazzle, judging by the road signs in your pics, I live an hour and a half or so west of you. As of 10:00 am, I measured 13 1/2", and it's still snowing !

Here's what I woke up to this morning. It's beautiful, but then again, I have nowhere to be for several days, so …..

P1110548.JPG

P1110526.JPG

P1110546.JPG

P1110519.JPG

ArmyMacE, drobs, marbleman and 19 others like this.
  15. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @marbleman, just seein how it is west of me ? Wonderin if you got a inch total ? :) Still snowin pretty good here.

marbleman, actichy, Sosteve and 6 others like this.
  16. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is that a real word, or did you just create a new one? Either way, it's brilliant!
    Vehivve: noun. A beehive-shaped mound of snow containing a vehicle. Created by said vehicle sliding off the road at high speed and nose diving into deep snow.

actichy, Sosteve, S.Decker and 10 others like this.
  17. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Rarely do we get snow here. When we do its an event. Cold windy days, parents won't even bundle their kids. I guess becaues it will "hinder their expresion" of whom they are.

When still working, I would see many of my fellow employees coming into the department with no real outer wear on days that the thermometer showed less than 50. They would say "I've got a heater in the car". I would shake my head and say "dress for the walk, not the drive".

(edited for: poor spelling, punctuation and grammer. That and the sun was in my eyes. )

18. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    3-4 yrs ago, on one of my cross country treks, my son and I were driving to St. Louis to spend the night. Thsi was January so we were well into our winter driving mode. We pull in during a lightish snow fall only to find most of the business shutting down because of the blizzard. After checking in we headed to the local bar to grab a beverage and some food. It was closing down as well. Now, coming from Buffalo, NY this was quite a shock as just about every bar in Western NY opens for a blizzard. They're a great place to pass the time and make sure neighbors are doing OK. Luckily, sort of, there was a Waffle House open. One of the waitresses was mesmerized by the spectacle "can it snow even harder?". I would describe it as the perfect Christmas morning snowfall, picture perfect. Next morning St Louis is shut down because 3/8" of snow fell overnight. Hotel restaurant offered a limited menu because of the weather emergency.

I am not one of those guys that drives like an idiot during bad weather...yep, here comes the part about the idiot driving in "bad" weather. I'm doing the speed limit on the highway and people must think I'm nuts cause they're all driving 25 miles under the limit. I'm not a complete jerk, I slow down when I'm going to pass a bunch of cars so I'm not screaming past them. I think most folks were just worried about the potential of bad roads.

dave

actichy, Sosteve, S.Decker and 11 others like this.
  19. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Of course I made up a new word! :) That's one of my many talents, alongside carpentry and mechanics. :)

actichy, Sosteve, Jim L. and 7 others like this.
  20. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    great thread and great reminder that the problems you experience might not be your fault and you might have no way to solve them.

this is why I don't let our gas tanks go below half and why we carry supplies, especially blankets. It doesn't happen often here, but it can be unexpected.

21. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ….. 15 inches, and still snowing …..

22. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I, also, thought "what's the big deal? An inch or two?". Then I looked at "where". Makes sense, then.

I grew up and learned to drive in NE Wisconsin. Dad never owned a FWD vehicle. The first car I was allowed to drive most often was a '64 Rambler, 3 on the tree. Loved that car! Heavy for it's size, and with the manual transmission I could not get stuck. Dad made certain I knew how to drive in snow. Next was his '72 Ford PU. A couple sandbags in the back we all he added in winter.

Folks around here in the Fox Valley seem to forget how to drive each spring/summer/fall. First few snowfalls are a PITA to drive, with folks thinking FWD means 80 MPH in snow. I still don't have FWD, but I do add a few hundred pounds of sand/salt in the back end of my truck. And carry a shovel, blankets, FAK, axe, etc. Oh, jumper cables, too....

Today, there's nary any snow around here... sigh...

KFF, actichy, Sosteve and 5 others like this.
  23. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    we're jealous! We only have 4-5 inches and it's already melting. When it snows here, it becomes a kind of desperation for my kids and their friends to get their play in

actichy, Sosteve, Jim L. and 4 others like this.
  24. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    An ice storm in southern Texas is something to behold. I would watch the thermometer and road and adjust speed accordingly. But of course, the Southern CA folks would fly around me. And, to my delight, most of them took out road signs or tried to mow down limestone road cuts farther down the road. :p
    Watching semi-trucks do donuts in the median is rather hair raising though. I saw more wrecked trucks that day than I care to. I finally had to pull in (even that was difficult due to the ice) and get a motel room. I got the last one... glad I did. Spring of ‘07, trying to get to San Antonio. Don’t want to do that again.

actichy, Sosteve, S.Decker and 5 others like this.
  25. TomC

TomC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ever hear of wag bags? Well, they used to be called wag bags. It's a portable toilet kit to defecate in and then just toss in the trash. If you're careful in your squat you don't need anything but the bag. I keep a bunch in each vehicle, canoe bag, BOB, etc. Still need the pee bottle though.

http://www.cleanwaste.com/go-anywhere-toilet-kit

ETA for the ladies

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...argid=kwd-493501309112&ref=pd_sl_8f0jr3ynxm_e

xrayit, actichy, NevadaBlue and 6 others like this.
  26. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I knew I was officially old when I pulled into an empty,snow covered parking lot at didn’t do a half dozen doughnuts :(

drobs, actichy, NevadaBlue and 8 others like this.
  27. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mookie... God love ya... bless your heart...

That really doesn’t matter. If you’re stuck you’re stuck, and pulling rank about how you grew up in way worse snow is counterproductive grandstanding.

The OP is about how you can have emergencies or at least hard-to-handle situations anywhere. That’s a good thing to talk about.

drobs, Sosteve, S.Decker and 5 others like this.
  28. Mookietherooster

Mookietherooster Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Banned

Blog Posts:
    True. My apologies.:(

drobs, NevadaBlue, Sosteve and 5 others like this.
  29. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    Getting old in mandatory! Growing up is optional!:dblthumb:

But seriously... have you given thought to what items you keep in your vehicle that might have to carried out in a "make it home " scenario. The need to abandon your vehicle, or having it snowed, or flooded in place may not hinge on your driving ability. Such as the highway is plugged or shut down by authorities, crashes, etc. It's not unusual for the local sheriff department in Wisconsin to put a "tow ban" on until the storm clears. Your vehicle stay put; sometimes for a couple days.

For me, extra clothing, lite stix, high cal food, etc. all can be left where it is if I have to hoof it. The garage door opener is programmed into the console, and can't be removed. The folding stock AK-47 is going to be packed out. It's in a discreet black nylon shell. Too many disaster pirates smash in windows of vehicles in the ditch just for the dimes and quarters in the center console; I don't want to arm any of those mopes. One incident nearby, the sweethearts went from car to car on snowmobiles, smashing in windows.

Just food for thought. :50:

drobs, actichy, NevadaBlue and 6 others like this.
  30. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I saw your Like on my post, about 30 seconds after I posted, and knew you got it.

schapm, Jim L., Sosteve and 1 other person like this.
  31. S.Decker

S.Decker Guide

Blog Posts:
    You should see hat happens in Texas, when they get 1/2" of snow. Now, THAT'S funny:4:.

32. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We got struck by the same storm here in Central Indiana. Dumped about 8" on us in a 24 hour period. We had to go out in it for a bit yesterday. Glad for 4wd! Lots of folks spun out or off the road. :eek:

schapm, actichy, NevadaBlue and 2 others like this.
  33. Timo.mac1

Timo.mac1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    4wd people driving faster than conditions allow the rest of us to drive are a nuisance as well. Just saying. Was tailgated by a 4wd showoff yesterday and was in full throat creatively cursing the asshat.
    We get plenty of snow here in Chicago. But the first few snows always reveal the inexperienced, impatient or oblivious.

schapm, xrayit, actichy and 3 others like this.
  34. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    jealous. we got only half of that

i think part of the problem with some 4wd people is that they think it's a magic pill. If they don't have good and appropriate tires, then 4wd ain't going to help. 4wd won't help that asshat tailgating you stop if his tires suck. Granted, tailgating in good conditions is stupid. sorry for that frustration

35. MOWoodsmn

MOWoodsmn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did I read wrong when I saw that the airport got 11 1/2 in.?

schapm likes this.
  36. MOWoodsmn

MOWoodsmn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    “Snowfall totals of 8-12 inches have been reported across the metro area through Saturday. Forecasters expect up to 2 more inches of precipitation overnight, leaving 10-15 inches of snow and a light glaze of ice by the time it ends Sunday. With nighttime temperatures hovering near or below freezing, the icy mix could lead to treacherous roads and sidewalks.”

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...9c1e8b32-6c47-5bac-b858-296323dd296d.amp.html

schapm, actichy and Jim L. like this.
  37. Chazzle

Blog Posts:
    @MOWoodsmn I stuck a ruler in the snow in my backyard and got a little over 8 inches. I live 7-10 miles from the airport.

schapm, MOWoodsmn, actichy and 2 others like this.
  38. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My grandfather taught me to drive a 4wd on the farm. He always said when driving in winter you're better off with a snowmobile. "You may be able to get going quicker in 4wd, but you can't stop any quicker than the next guy." "If anything, it takes you longer to stop because you're bigger than most vehicles on the road". "And you hit harder"'.

I have always remembered those words he said to me. I generally go slow and take my time. When you get in a hurry is usually when something you will regret happens. And yes, I too get irritated with guys/gals in 4x4's who think they are invincible. Usually a little more than irritated...

schapm, 1911srule, actichy and 2 others like this.
  39. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I refuse to own a car. I need to go when it snows or anything bad, thanks for the post and I am glad you were prepaired and got home safely.

schapm, Jim L. and Metaldog like this.
  40. Philly-Billy

Philly-Billy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well said. I'm amazed at people who refuse to adjust their schedule to the weather. An ounce of prevention...

schapm, MOWoodsmn, actichy and 2 others like this.
  41. actichy

actichy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We only got 3-4" up here, but it was slick underneath. I was coming home from a park and had to stop at a stop sign on a steep up-hill. I couldn't get going again and started sliding backward as the wheels started to spin. I ended up stuck in the ditch. Thankfully, two strangers helped me. One gave me some salt and wood ash to put down and the other towed me out with my tow strap and a shackle. Both guys left before I even had a chance to offer to pay them.

schapm, Philly-Billy and MOWoodsmn like this.
  42. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Strange, in my experience it's the opposite, it's the folks with 4WD being overly optimistic about their vehicles capabilities. Just remember it won't help you stop, or take turns, it will help you reach unsafe speeds with ease though. When I drove a 4WD pickup daily I'd keep it in 2WD for a dusting like that. My FWD sedan is honestly better till the snow gets deep. Passed by a 4WD SUV on the way to work last time which had gotten itself stuck in the snowbank it crashed into.

I'm glad you made it safely and also that I'm not the only one who thinks about clothing when the weather is cold. At the very least bring a jacket and wear socks and shoes.

schapm and Philly-Billy like this.
  43. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Whew, just now back online, after 30 hours without electricity. Phone kind of worked, but that was sporadic. Trangia stove w/Heet kept us fed, had about 25 gallons of fresh water, woodstove kept us warm. A neighbor said he measured a non-drifted 22 inches. The best entertainment was portable ham rigs, talked a little, main event was listening to the poor road clearing crews. They were waking their mechanics up at 2 am to come weld broken things.

Got out tonight for the first time since Friday, and the little 4x4 Toyota truck was on the edge of high-centering a couple of times. I live on a private, dead-end gravel road but am blessed with three neighbors with tractors and blades, who want to out-do each other....

Had an important PC die on me in the power blips, messed up the rest of my network, building a replacement now.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    schapm, TWill and lopie like this.
  44. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love looking at snow....from my home in Georgia where it rarely snows.

ArmyMacE, schapm and drobs like this.
  45. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sad thing is no matter how prepared you are if you cant get past everyone else you cant get home , so you are limited by the boneheads of the world . Living in a frozen wasteland like i do i expect people to be used to freezing temps , ice , lots of snow , but still i see people with bald all seasons tires on their mustang trying to get to work in a foot of snow that we have had for 3 months , news flash it not going away get a better car ! A tow rope and shovel are a nice addition if you dont have them , then you have a way to get others out of your way without having to use your bumpers . Church parking lots usually have untouched snow fall and the least amount of curbs if you need to make sure your 4wd is working by ripping a few donuts .

schapm and drobs like this.
  46. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here it was, off to a good start.

20190112_171934.jpg

ArmyMacE and schapm like this.
  47. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Empty bottles in vehicle are VERY useful. More than just pee bottle.

Even though I am able to drive my trucks through worse than what you describe, I just pull over nowadays and let it pass and the plows work.

I can skip out on Dodging all the Jackwagons in SUV’s and overconfident “4 wheel drive” owners who think they can drive 70mph like the pavement is dry.
    Usually they only make it to the next group of traffic anyway, where they brake hard and (hopefully only) hit the median or ditch.

Driving has become a “skill-less” activity nowadays.
    Just not worth going through what I am right now because someone else didn’t want to slow down.

Glad you made it home safe.
    Hopefully to stay there in the warmth and safety until all this passes.

Chazzle and schapm like this.
  48. KFF

KFF Guide

Blog Posts:
    Being used to it and prepared to it is the thing.
    This morning they say on the news it's going to be -22C and 12 to 18hrs constant snow fall.
    All I need to prep is take tea water for wed when the power company is planning something and power is off most of the day.
    Other than that we're good.
    Drive the kids to school by 8 etc.

schapm likes this.
  49. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I carry my EDC Tara loaded up to get home whenever I leave the house and switch the load out to match the weather.

Learned to drive in Chicago snow storms, back in the day there were no AWD suv’s and most folks could drive in the nasty weather. These days every soccer mom and her brother own an AWD suv’s with traction control. They can barely drive on dry pavement but seem to become experts at driving like idiots when it’s snowing or icy, 4 WD / AWD / 2 WD same difference you only have four small tire patches that are creating friction between you and the road. And then there are the 17 year olds that have become expert race car drivers after a few hours behind the wheel and driving a new SUV or sports car like they are invincible to the laws of physics.

schapm likes this.
  50. drobs

drobs Guide

Blog Posts:
    I consider doing donuts in a parking lot a requirement - got to practice those winter driving skills. Growing up in the Chicago area with Front Wheel Drive (FWD) cars - you had to practice donuts in reverse.

S.Decker, Metaldog and schapm like this.