Bear Pistols

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 41magfan, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I realize that a 12 gauge is not a handgun, which was the focus of this thread. That said, I also know that my 870 with Federal Tru Ball Deep Penetrator (2 3/4") slugs will go through the skull of a 200 lb hog at 30 yards... and keep going. Hog was a hard quartering-to shot, almost looking straight at me. Slug was found lodged under the hide over half way back on the off-side ribs. After punching through the skull of the hog, it traveled about 2' through meat and bone to get to its resting point. The shot was made from an elevated stand, so I was in no danger. The gun and the ammo will do the trick. Finding oneself in a less than ideal situation of being startled by a creature 4x or more the weight of that hog, and with ill intent may lead to a completely different ending.

Cwlongshot and Mfraser161 like this.
  2. Steinmetz

Steinmetz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I usually take my desert eagle

5EBBE1B6-025B-4F4A-9200-F315C6B3A6EA.jpeg B4DAC342-01C1-44CE-95A0-BA045E014B61.jpeg 556F51CE-07BD-4AE8-B524-DE40EAD3ACF5.jpeg

3. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well if you're like me if it is Deer Season, I am guaranteed to see Bear, and if Bear Season, I am guaranteed to see Deer. :rolleyes:

LMT66, Cwlongshot and Birdman like this.
  4. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have seen many postings as this Gun v Bear scenario on many forums
    The conclusions were
    Handgun 454 Casul
    and an Alaskan retired State Trooper recommended a slug shotgun. QED!

Cwlongshot likes this.
  5. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well I have read every post in this thread. Every word of every thread and also looked at any attachments, videos, etc. Some really interesting stuff here and a lot of knowledgeable information. My conclusion, according to the posts....anything from a .22 to an RPG may or may not take down a bear, you may or may not survive a bear attack, and whatever your choice of weapon, you may or may not have time to use it. Regardless of caliber and type of bullet you may or may not get penetration, and it may take one shot, five shots, or maybe ten shots to take down a charging bear. Then again, maybe all the firepower you have may not take him/her down. Did I miss anything?

I write this in jest, there are a ton of good posts here, but certainly no consensus, except something is better than nothing.....maybe :19:

Bigghoss, JoeJ and A Seedy Lot like this.
  6. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bears don't usually pistols in the SW but they're sneaky with knives. Be wary.

Todd1hd likes this.
  7. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I asked an old man the question about bear defense handguns once. His paraphrased response was "If you shoot a bear with a shotgun it better be because you don't have a rifle, if you shoot a bear with a pistol, I hope you run fast because you forgot your rifle and shotgun!". I don't live in an area with lots of big predators but I will say that a can of bear mace coupled with a handgun you feel comfortable with will probably be effective. A blind bear is easier to shoot and kill.

Todd1hd likes this.
  8. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
  9. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I'd go so far as to give the royal crown to the 10mm, but it is looking like a legitimate option for bear, for anyone who has problems with the big bore magnums. Can't say I totally agree with his auto vs revolver logic as stated though.

What I'm wondering about though is that holster he's wearing. Looks like GunfightersINC? I've been seeing a lot of guys wearing those high on the chest like him, and watching him makes me wonder if that isn't a little awkward for fast access, as opposed to a more conventional holster, or that same rig worn a bit lower.

Park Swan likes this.