1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

BEAVERS

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by Scoman, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Scoman

Scoman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys we have beavers near to my home in Scotland. They were introduced a number of years ago but are slowly expanding. They're not a pest (yet) and it's a major novelty. Does anyone know of a good resource as to the nature of them such as, when they're out and about, good place for camera traps, do they always return to a tree once they start in on it etc. I'd really like to observe them and get some photo's and videos. If they get a good foothold and there's lots of them I'd also like to try some beaver stew ! ;-)

2. WRHC TopGun

WRHC TopGun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Beavers are fascinating and captivating to watch. Around here they are often very active at dusk and at nightI do see them during daylight but most often right before da. If you can find their lodge you could set up nearby and watch for them. A good spot for a camera trap would be outside a lodge entrance or overlooking a slide. They often use the same points to enter/exit the water and when crossing dams or other obstructions. They'll actually create a muddy runway that you can see pretty easily. It will often be littered with pieces and parts of saplings and vegetation the they drop while moving it to their lodge. Another option, assuming it is lawful, is to knock out a section of their dam and place a camera overlooking that spot. Beavers are VERY industrious and will often repair the damaged spot overnight.

Haggis and ozarkbushman like this.
  3. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    At some point when the babies get older they will be kicked out of the den and have to find thier own pond/river. I was driving to work one night and right there waddling down the middle of the road was a hound beaver. Dusk and night time are most active as stated earlier in the responses. Beavers can be very destructive and the novelty may start to wear off.

WRHC TopGun, Haggis and Wasp like this.
  4. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    They take a woods and make of it a pond with barren margins.

WRHC TopGun and Haggis like this.
  5. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Can sometimes catch them on the water at dawn.
    If they do any trapping in your area there may be gland scent you can buy. Put this on a stick along the slide and you will likely get their attention for more pictures.
    Anise oil probably would do the same.

WRHC TopGun and Haggis like this.
  6. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where beaver are living they can be pulled ashore by bait sticks. Here beaver eat Aspen, so I shave the bark off a couple of green inch thick by eighteen long branches, then add a couple more green untouched branches about the same size; all this at water's edge. Br'er beaver sees the peeled branches, and comes to see who's been there feeding, then stays to eat the bark off the other branches.

Of course, I put a trap in front of these setups for I want the fur, castors, oil glands, and meat. No reason the same set wouldn't work for photography as well,,,

7. wannabee

wannabee Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    oh, I thought this thread was about something else. nevermind:D

Scoman likes this.
  8. JonM

JonM Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In my travels, I've seen beavers out & about during all times of the day. As far as the animal goes however, I've seen them close to dawn & dusk.